Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Be Careful What You Wish For

ESS
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

Through past experience Chim thought she had no chance to survive. Even if he was not treating her. Maybe on a battlefield or with mass casualties you do that triage. Here at anytime after lawyer can show up for a Chim in legal danger story.

Was her spinal cord crushed? It seems like I heard something about that mentioned.  I'm not disagreeing with him, just curious. 

Both Third Watch and Emergency had episodes where the victim was cut in half. The way the body with the legs placement looked like  Alex on Third Watch 

In hindsight it might be better if Maddie leaves at the end of the season. I'm not sure they know what to do with her now that the drama with her ex-husband has ended. This episode certainly suggests they don't. And it might be a nice gimmick if they got a new guest star to be the main 911 call taker every season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

In hindsight it might be better if Maddie leaves at the end of the season. I'm not sure they know what to do with her now that the drama with her ex-husband has ended. This episode certainly suggests they don't. And it might be a nice gimmick if they got a new guest star to be the main 911 call taker every season. 

I actually worked at that job years ago (911 operator). It was actually quite stressful, imo.  I knew that I had to leave after 6 years.  

• Love 2
On 5/6/2019 at 10:26 PM, Xantar said:

Oh come on! First Game of Thrones and now Eddie’s wife? Why can’t female love interests survive on TV any more?

The scene with the people Maddie helped was over the top. I guess it was nice, but it didn’t land with me because it seems so schmaltzy. 

I had absolutely no problem with Eddie's wife dying. She meant nothing to me, and I agree with most everyone that she contributed nothing as a character or even as a love interest. I think Eddie and Buck are more compelling as a couple even though they won't go there.

And I agree with Maddie scenes being schmaltzy. Maybe one or two, but all of those people was just overkill.

9 hours ago, ramble said:

The best moments for me were the Bobby as confidante and counselor and Chim’s moments with Hen. And, oddly enough, the lottery ticket lady at the beginning. Something about her really drew me in quickly. Good work extra actress person.

Loved everyone still going to Bobby to help with their problems. It shows how much they rely on him as their Captain. And I finally got an I love you for him and Athena, which I've been wanting for a while.

Lottery ticket lady was a great character extra.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Both Third Watch and Emergency had episodes where the victim was cut in half. The way the body with the legs placement looked like  Alex on Third Watch 

RIP, Alex. I still remember how harsh that was to watch. 

Sad that there's only one more episode left of this season. It's been a good one.

• Love 5
On 5/7/2019 at 4:45 PM, iMonrey said:

While that would certainly be a noble gesture the scene itself was laughably absurd. There were any number of ways they could have accomplished the same thing in a more realistic and less obviously staged manner. I thought it would have been enough just for that one lady to show up - the one who called earlier in the episode about her brother's suicide attempt. But when all the other people started standing up one by one I half expected them to burst into song. Like I said, the whole thing read more like a dream sequence where all these people start coming back from the dead to tell Maddie the difference she made in their lives. Especially when they're all sitting there pretending to be customers and ignoring her until it's their turn to stand up and talk. Who choreographed all of this? Were they handed out numbers and scripts as they arrived?

I completely agree. SWAT had a very moving scene in which a retiring police officer met a woman whose life he had saved when she was a little girl. There wasn’t a dry eye in the room when she told her story, and that one potential victim was quite enough to deliver the message.

The one caller in this scene would have arguably been much more effective because we would have had time to Hear more of her story. 

• Love 3

Do we have any idea why Shannon felt that she couldn't be a mother, back when she first wrote the note and left? Was she depressed? "Finding herself?" Didn't want the burden of a handicapped child? To me she just seemed selfish and restless and it's better that she's REALLY gone, if she was just going to mess with her son's head again

I thought this flash mob of 911 callers was incredibly corny and cheesy and unrealistic. I don't doubt that being a 911 operator can be a crushing job, but you know going into that you are the intermediary, and that seems to be a very important aspect of getting help to people in need. 

• Love 5

Do we have any idea why Shannon felt that she couldn't be a mother, back when she first wrote the note and left? Was she depressed? "Finding herself?" Didn't want the burden of a handicapped child? To me she just seemed selfish and restless and it's better that she's REALLY gone, if she was just going to mess with her son's head again

As I recall she was overwhelmed because Eddie was on tour in Iraq or wherever so she was on her own raising a handicapped child. Still, we were led to believe she did a very selfish thing just running off to find herself or whatever and leaving her son with Eddie, and it's hard to defend her actions regardless of her reasons. I always though Eddie forgave her a little too quickly and her turnaround didn't really feel genuine or earned. But the show didn't spend a lot of time developing this story. The whole thing felt very half-baked and it would have been better if she'd never returned at all, but that's they story they came up with for Eddie.

• Love 3
On 5/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, iMonrey said:

Good grief, the entire scene with Maddie being confronted by all the callers she's helped should have been nixed in the writing room as soon as someone suggested it. What a laughably contrived and corny scene! It actually would have played better as a dream sequence.

I did enjoy Chim's stint as acting captain (chief?) and the way everyone kept showing up at Bobby's place to bitch about it, including Chim himself.

That is actually what I thought it was at first. It was ridiculous.

I enjoyed Chim as he transitioned in the Chief role as well.

• Love 1

I really don't like JLH, but I have been hoping she wouldn't ruin this show. She hasn't yet, but that ludicrous scene in the coffee shop was absurd. There has already been way too much screen time spent on her this season, IMO. More of the team, less of JLH. Liked the rest of the show.

• Love 2