Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E22: Cubicall, Doughp, Saucemoto, Deskview

• Start Topic

Honestly, the idea of showing the world that I eat enough fast food nuggets in my car to necessitate a specialized device to make it more efficient is horrifying. If I had  it attached to my air vent and a friend saw it in my car and I had to explain it, I’d be super-embarrassed. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, marny said:

Honestly, the idea of showing the world that I eat enough fast food nuggets in my car to necessitate a specialized device to make it more efficient is horrifying. If I had  it attached to my air vent and a friend saw it in my car and I had to explain it, I’d be super-embarrassed. 

I'm also wondering how your car is going to smell if you have the heater blowing full-blast across a package of any flavor sauce.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 5/8/2019 at 5:03 PM, eel21788 said:

She didn't say if she thought she could sustain that price point in a different market. Her overhead on a Pier 39 storefront might actually justify it.

Yeah, and at that location every place probably has high prices, so $6 doesn't seem too extreme.  But it sounded like her next location will be the Las Vegas strip, so I think she is targeting places where she can get away with it. 

WTF with the so-called stand-up desk??!!  It's not a desk. It's a small glass shelf that attaches to a wall with suction cups.  

It won't hold anything more than a small laptop, there's no cord management feature. To name a few of the problems.

I can't see any people actually working at the desk.  But it might work as a display element. 

• Love 5
On 5/6/2019 at 12:48 PM, Rough Draft said:

Did I hear Barbara say the she had gone to great lengths to design elegant workspaces in her corporate offices and she really hated it when people personalized their work areas with objects or decorations brought in from home? 

If so, what an awful attitude. I don't think I'd want to work for her.

Yeah, she said that.  She misses the fact that for many people having photos of their loved ones on their desk reminds them of why they're working and who they're supporting and it's a motivating factor.  

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, and at that location every place probably has high prices, so $6 doesn't seem too extreme.  But it sounded like her next location will be the Las Vegas strip, so I think she is targeting places where she can get away with it. 

I just came back from Las Vegas. She has her new shop in the Miracle Mile shopping mall. There is nothing in the way of advertising. The only reason I saw it was because I wanted to go inside in search of air conditioning. Incidentally, there is also a Maine Lobster store a couple of doors down from her shop that is equally devoid of advertising.

Her price points are the same as her SF store. There was one couple there sharing a single scoop and a coffee. There was a Nestles Toll House store in the same mall selling baked (what a novel idea) cookie dough at $2-3 per cookie. They had a long line.

She has a sign up in the store talking about her "journey" with alcoholism and that she is donating some of her proceeds to a mental health non-profit. They were no signs that indicated what ingredients were used in her dough or that it was safe to eat raw.

Overall, I just don't see how she is going to make enough money to pay the rent, let alone the rest of her overhead.

• Love 1
On 5/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, eel21788 said:

I just came back from Las Vegas. She has her new shop in the Miracle Mile shopping mall.

I was also just there and took a picture of it:

CYuKh0Kl.jpg

I didn't go into the store. I was on a mission to get something else at that point, and sweets aren't really my thing.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2019 at 9:12 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

But don’t most fast food restaurants give you those rectangular ketchup packets when you buy french fries?

I have never in my life gotten a dipping-sauce shaped package for ketchup.  We get those horrible little packages where you tear off the corner and squeeze.  I thought that maybe the US was different, but it doesn't seem so from the comments.   That's why they kept pushing the nugget angle.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:48 PM, Rough Draft said:

Did I hear Barbara say the she had gone to great lengths to design elegant workspaces in her corporate offices and she really hated it when people personalized their work areas with objects or decorations brought in from home? 

If so, what an awful attitude. I don't think I'd want to work for her.

At my desk I have photos of my husband and kids, a vase for when I cut flowers out of my garden, as well as my tea cup and water glass which sit on a small placemat.  I'd be really pissed as an employee if she ever said that to my face.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:14 AM, roctavia said:

The private space thing does serve a good purpose, but just goes to show why the open concept office thing is not great for productivity and why cube farms just make people unhappy. I know individual offices cost more money and space... but at the price of those units, you could almost put in some offices... or just make ceiling height mobile cube walls.

These open plan offices are the WORST.  I almost had a breakdown when we moved to that environment and I was thrilled to leave.  I specifically didn't apply to another company because that was their seating plan.  Then I sat in offices shared by 2 or 3 people.  I am currently sitting in an old school cubicle environment which is frankly the best.  You have some privacy, but you can hear some of what's going around you so if you hear something important about one of the projects you're working on, you can stay in the loop.

Seriously, if you went open plan and then realized your huge mistake, I have to think it would be much cheaper to put up cubicle walls then these phone booths.  My first thought was that I would suffocate in them, but they mentioned a fan, which was good.  But they are so small.  I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but I think I'd lose it in there.  And there would be no room for the photos on my desk!  😉

• Love 3

They tell cookie dough lady they can't invest cuz it's not healthy, then the next segment they are eating chicken nuggets and willing to invest in a nugget sauce holder. 

On 5/17/2019 at 1:22 PM, eel21788 said:

I just came back from Las Vegas. She has her new shop in the Miracle Mile shopping mall. There is nothing in the way of advertising. The only reason I saw it was because I wanted to go inside in search of air conditioning. Incidentally, there is also a Maine Lobster store a couple of doors down from her shop that is equally devoid of advertising.

Her price points are the same as her SF store. There was one couple there sharing a single scoop and a coffee. There was a Nestles Toll House store in the same mall selling baked (what a novel idea) cookie dough at $2-3 per cookie. They had a long line.

She has a sign up in the store talking about her "journey" with alcoholism and that she is donating some of her proceeds to a mental health non-profit. They were no signs that indicated what ingredients were used in her dough or that it was safe to eat raw.

Overall, I just don't see how she is going to make enough money to pay the rent, let alone the rest of her overhead.

2/14/2021 Update:

I just came back from Las Vegas, again. Her store in the Miracle Mile Mall is closed. It has already been replaced with another store, so I don't think the closure had anything to do with CV. Incidentally, ME Lobster and Nestle's Toll House stores are still there, although I didn't check to see if either of them had any customers.

She does, however, have several vending machines in McCarran airport. A 5oz container is selling for $6; a 16oz container is selling for $10. The vending machine is also selling socks for $6 and fanny packs for $12. 

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 1