Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/6/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Jewell2 said:

In the commercials for the View, Meghan says anyone who wants to achieve the next level in politics must come on their show.

She just wants another chance to break them under her intense interrogation !

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

This is a blurb from Mika's book.

A straight-talking guide for the newest members of the workforce, with road-tested advice for landing a job, navigating the new world of work, establishing a personal brand, and getting the recognition (and money) you deserve. 

Mika is the daughter of the late diplomat and political scientist Zbigniew Brzezinski, who served as adviser to both Lyndon B. Johnson and Jimmy Carter.

Although I doubt her advice would be to be born into a political family. Maybe Meghan will write a similar book.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Okay gals, should I watch today, RBM was so nasty yesterday I almost puked. Let me know, don't think I can take her two days in a row. Thanks. 💋

Although things got a bit loud in the first two segments, the interviews with Mika & Joe & then Common were worth your time.  Just sayin'.

• Love 8

The only reason NutMeg didn't get all shriek and squinty during the Jika interview was because he repeatedly heaped praise on John McCain as the only Republican (elected) that stood up to Trump.  As a result, she sat mostly silent, lapping up the adoration.

• Love 16
(edited)
18 minutes ago, bannana said:

The only reason NutMeg didn't get all shriek and squinty during the Jika interview was because he repeatedly heaped praise on John McCain as the only Republican (elected) that stood up to Trump.  As a result, she sat mostly silent, lapping up the adoration.

Of course! everybody must kiss the ring of the late John McCain.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 13
28 minutes ago, bannana said:

I was wondering how she was going to react to them.  She has been critical of Mika’s opinions and comments in the past(although, I can’t remember what it was about).  And Mika did not cut her other best friend any slack during the whole Al Franken witch hunt.  Joe did say, while praising John McCain that he wasn’t just saying this because Meghan was sitting there.  I thought it was a bit of a back handed compliment.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 5/5/2019 at 5:06 PM, TheView said:

Maybe we should tell ABC to drop View Your Deal. 

Can they afford it?  It's on "The View," (which I watch) and GMA (which I don't--but I see their "deal" promos), and who knows where else they hawk this stuff just to make a few pennies.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Although I doubt her advice would be to be born into a political family. Maybe Meghan will write a similar book.

Wonder if the co-author included being young and beautiful is also an asset in the workplace.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ari333 said:

Oh big boo hoo Madonna. You are healthy, have health insurance, dental, vision, hearing, and great surgeons, wealth, fame, houses plural. GMAFB already. Many folks would love to have half that

More boo hoo for her single-momhood--obviously getting along without "the help" or drivers.  Yeah, she's cutting coupons out of newspaper supplements her SIX KIDS pick out of dumpsters.  They drink powdered milk.  She shops at Goodwill for all their clothing.  They've never been to a dentist. Yet she struggles on as a covergirl.

• LOL 11
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, TheView said:
22 hours ago, deirdra said:

If Whoopi saves the Valley Girl voice just for mocking Meghan, once an episode would be fine with me!

I'd love to see Joy try it 

And that, ladies and gents, would cause a suspension for one of the cohosts!  I have no idea who it would be...but something will hit the fan.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/6/2019 at 9:22 AM, sevenrings said:

“No one is calling anyone stupid at this table” lol everybody is sick of Meghan’s shit.

Ummm...I might.  In Whoopi's opening she introduced us to the nurses/staff who "saved her life" when she was in the hospital.  Was Abby listening or does she have Meghan's "attention span of a gnat"?

• Whoopi:  They really kept me laughing and I kept them laughing.
  • Abby: I have a feeling you made them laugh a few times too.
Edited by HaaCHOO
  • LOL 22
  • Love 2

And now I'll simmah down.  On their reporting of the fabulous apparel at the Met Gala, and "explaining" CAMP to us (and to each other):  Cher, Rocky Horror Picture Show, drag queens, etc. Whoopi actually said, "John Ritter," and Sunny repeated, "John Ritter." Maybe "Three's Company" was mildly campy, but Whoopi made a silly error and Sunny went along with it.

"JohnRitter.jpg.4fa4f20e2d0a2a3e7db4c99b93e94cd6.jpg

• LOL 6
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, HaaCHOO said:

And now I'll simmah down.  On their reporting of the fabulous apparel at the Met Gala, and "explaining" CAMP to us (and to each other):  Cher, Rocky Horror Picture Show, drag queens, etc. Whoopi actually said, "John Ritter," and Sunny repeated, "John Ritter." Maybe "Three's Company" was mildly campy, but Whoopi made a silly error and Sunny went along with it.

"JohnRitter.jpg.4fa4f20e2d0a2a3e7db4c99b93e94cd6.jpg

I had no clue why they included him in campy. . It made zero sense.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, falltime said:

I think it was Joy that was coughing a lot.

Oh, thanks.  I just listen to the show from my kitchen table at my laptop with my back to the tv in the living room so I assumed it was Whoopi since her voice did not sound well today.  (I find that by knocking off one of my senses, in this case; sight, it makes the show go down a little easier.  Not by much, but some.)

58 minutes ago, CynicalGirl said:

I also had no clue why she said John Ritter. I was thinking John Waters, who I actually think Meghan mentioned. It was hard to tell with all the cross-talk.

I thought she meant him, too.  Slip of the tongue.

32 minutes ago, heysmilinstrange said:

I think it means you send the person you're mad at a box of salt water taffy. 

Lol!! 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't camp meant to be something that is unintentional as well? Think of a movie like Mommie Dearest. Perhaps it's one of those terms that have altered over time from the more academic use to a popular use?

Watching today made me wish that The View was a more intelligent show that could discuss Susan Sontag's "Notes on Camp" and how it related to the Met Ball, seeing as that essay was the inspiration for it, but I know I'm wishing for the stars here.

Damn, Meghan had to yell praise about Grace Jones and John Waters and I can't fault her for that, haha.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, SuzieSioux said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't camp meant to be something that is unintentional as well? Think of a movie like Mommie Dearest. Perhaps it's one of those terms that have altered over time from the more academic use to a popular use?

Watching today made me wish that The View was a more intelligent show that could discuss Susan Sontag's "Notes on Camp" and how it related to the Met Ball, seeing as that essay was the inspiration for it, but I know I'm wishing for the stars here.

Damn, Meghan had to yell praise about Grace Jones and John Waters and I can't fault her for that, haha.

I agree to all of this.  Might I direct you to the Go Fug Yourself web site right now for a very in-depth look and discussion of all things Met Ball.  I have been on it all day. 

To my ears, only Sunny really understood the theme but yes, I too, will have to give props to Meghan for just this one time for her mentions.  I was explaining it to my hubby last night and John Waters was the name I mentioned to help him get it.

• Love 8

I'm not usually inclined to stick up for Whoopi -  but the wayback machine tells us that the original definition of "camp" (in the 1920s, my grandmother's era) referred to exaggerated behavior that was seen as effeminate or homosexual.

Being camp is how John Ritter got away with playing Jack Tripper, who was a ground breaking character at the time.

Jack couldn't have been on the show if his persona and mannerisms didn't fall in the "camp" category - because otherwise ABC would have been accused of inciting people to immorality.

"Camp" was the only way to make male and female roommates palatable. Because otherwise -the horror!!! 

The definition of camp has expanded to include terms like retro, amusingly bad taste, kitsch, etc. 

• Useful 11
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I agree to all of this.  Might I direct you to the Go Fug Yourself web site right now for a very in-depth look and discussion of all things Met Ball.  I have been on it all day. 

To my ears, only Sunny really understood the theme but yes, I too, will have to give props to Meghan for just this one time for her mentions.  I was explaining it to my hubby last night and John Waters was the name I mentioned to help him get it.

Thank you! I'll check it out for sure!

John Waters' Female Trouble is such a gem: "Not on Christmas! Not on Christmas!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Haven't watched yet and not sure if I can put this here, and on top of that, I don't know how to link something. Other than that...Raw Story has a fascinating article on Meghan and reason for her "sickness" time off.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Jewell2 said:

.  Joe did say, while praising John McCain that he wasn’t just saying this because Meghan was sitting there.

Yeah , sure Joe ...... whatever you say.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I thought the same thing.  John Ritter?  I wonder if she meant Robin Williams, although I would not exactly consider him campy either.

I think Whoopi was confusing “camp” as in the over exaggeration of fashion that the ladies were discussing with “camp” as in campy comedy. The latter meaning could definitely apply to John Ritter and Three’s Company.

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, SuzieSioux said:

But she should have waited until it was her turn to talk.  Her screeching while others had the floor made it impossible to hear what anyone was saying.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 13
45 minutes ago, deirdra said:

But she should have waited until it was her turn to talk.  Her screeching while others had the floor made it impossible to hear what anyone was saying.

I believe that's her plan. 

Don't let anyone hear what others say.   

Disgusting. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

What the?

Don't tell me ya'll missed it when Jika (cute, eh?) went straight to Joy for hellos before acknowledging the rest.

Oh to be a fly in Queen Whoopi's head, for someone to not defer to her.

Loved it!

I thought so too, but later in the show Common went directly to the center chair as well, which leads me to believe it was a direction from production,  a cue to stay away from a still recovering Whoopi.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I got a really big feeling of sour grapes from the ladies when Whoopi was congratulated the Daytime Emmy Award winners.  I think I even heard Joy mutter "Whatever".

But one thing we can be sure of.  WG sent big bouquets to all the winners.  She does have class.

You mean not everyone just fast forwards thru those segments? People buy this stuff?  huh... 

Sadly, I did. I actually bought those Daddy Sponge Thingies (I won't mention the name) and they literally dissolved in water after three uses. 

I also love Stevie Nicks,  I'm sure Meghan's loves for her is only because she's from Arizona.

I would love to hear her thoughts on Sheriff Joe.

I'm not usually inclined to stick up for Whoopi -  but the wayback machine tells us that the original definition of "camp" (in the 1920s, my grandmother's era) referred to exaggerated behavior that was seen as effeminate or homosexual.

With all respect, I think your wayback machine needs a reboot.

It goes back much further than that: "In 1870, in a letter produced in evidence at his examination before a magistrate at Bow-street, London, on suspicion of then-illegal homosexual acts, crossdresser Frederick Park referred to his "campish undertakings"; but the letter does not make clear what these were. In 1909, the Oxford English Dictionary gave the first print citation of camp as ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals. So as a noun, 'camp' behaviour, mannerisms, et cetera. (cf. quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour." (Wiki)

Ms Wintour may choose to rewrite history, but I won't tolerate it. How does a rich, spoiled, dreadfully disgustingly intolerable human being like Wintour get to set what is camp? She has absolutely no credibility on this issue.* Unless you consider oversized-sunglasses and a bob-cut camp.  Which I don't.

Sontag may have brought the phrase into current usage, but she most certainly did not define it. 

Lest we forget, Oscar Wilde was the epitome of camp.  Upon entering prison for homosexuality and asked if he had any personal possessions he stated:  I have nothing to declare but my genius.

Now that's camp.

*This was the first Met Gala that allowed trans people to participate.  

I have a soft spot for Common.  I like to see a man show emotion.  And that picture with him and his Mom:  Sweetness.  I had no idea he was 47.  Damn he's aging fine.

Edited by xingu
  • Useful 4
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Although things got a bit loud in the first two segments, the interviews with Mika & Joe & then Common were worth your time.  Just sayin'.

I thought the same thing. During the camp topic, I think Joy said something or other that Whoopi / McCain didn't agree with and they both bellowed so loud, I think Joy / Sunny just stopped talking because it was not a point worth fighting over. And all I could think is, are they really shouting over a topic about campiness? How is this real?

Meanwhile McCain continues to parade as if she is the Hag Queen of LGBT. Bitch, we do not want you.

• LOL 8
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, xingu said:

Sadly, I did. I actually bought those Daddy Sponge Thingies (I won't mention the name) and they literally dissolved in water after three uses. 

I bought a "set" when they first came out 6-7 years ago Mine last a few months and do a great job.  I usually buy a "holiday" set long after the holidays--a great bargain.  I don't care what color they are.  Scrub Daddy!  (Someone chooses cleaning stuff for the holidays?)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SuzieSioux said:

But how many times did she have to yell out "Grace Jones"?  I don't think it was about Grace...it was about acknowledging our princess.

8 hours ago, Cementhead said:
9 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

I also had no clue why she said John Ritter. I was thinking John Waters, who I actually think Meghan mentioned. It was hard to tell with all the cross-talk.

I thought she meant him, too.  Slip of the tongue.

Slip of the tongue for Whoopi, but Sunny?  Maybe trying anything to get Whoopi to be nice to her?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

This is a blurb from Mika's book.

A straight-talking guide for the newest members of the workforce, with road-tested advice for landing a job, navigating the new world of work, establishing a personal brand, and getting the recognition (and money) you deserve. 

Mika is the daughter of the late diplomat and political scientist Zbigniew Brzezinski, who served as adviser to both Lyndon B. Johnson and Jimmy Carter.

Mika and her self serving "Know Your Value" dog and pony show..... 🙄

rsz_1347389953723.jpg.8df5057301672456f43a8bea2b2c8ef7.jpg

She and Joe are really good at giving lip service in situations that will benefit them which it sounds like they did during their appearance on The View. Then next thing you know they'll be saying something completely different elsewhere. It's also disgusting how they are trying to help revive their vile friend Mark Halperin's career. Mika once said on Morning Joe that Mark was more than willing to meet with his accusers, apologize to them face to face and that she had tried to offer him to them to facilitate the suggested meetings. She was none to pleased with the blow back she received from that and had to issue an apology.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

It annoys me that Mika and Joe always passive aggressively disrespect Beto. The people who helped elect Trump by giving him generous air time. And yukking it up with him. And they laugh at Beto "moving his arms too much" , "speaking in platitudes."

• Love 18
20 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

Another thing I bought before was Peepers reading/sunglasses for half-price. $11 vs. $22 on their website, also totally worth it. 

I bought these too.  They're not going to set any fashion trend but they are perfect for sitting on the deck with a book.  I also bought a pair of thick Sherpa socks for a Christmas present.  I forget what they are called/who the mfr is, but they are adorable.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Morgalisa said:

It annoys me that Mika and Joe always passive aggressively disrespect Beto. The people who helped elect Trump by giving him generous air time. And yukking it up with him. And they laugh at Beto "moving his arms too much" , "speaking in platitudes."

Don't forget the daily berating of HRC by Mika about those darn emails.  That literally went on for months.

• Love 16
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Meanwhile McCain continues to parade as if she is the Hag Queen of LGBT. Bitch, we do not want you.

So much this.  This annoys me to no fucking end.  How can you be an ally of the LGTBQ community when you support people who are not allies of the LGTBQ community?

Two of my best friends are gay men and they wouldn't be caught dead being friends with her.

• Love 21
11 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I thought so too, but later in the show Common went directly to the center chair as well, which leads me to believe it was a direction from production,  a cue to stay away from a still recovering Whoopi.

Just hadda piss on my dark-hearted parade, didn't you?!

• LOL 16
  • Love 2

The one thing Madonna has always known how to do is get people talking. I didn’t read the article but the ladies of view sure seemed miffed at it.  Abby “I don’t feel sorry for Madonna “.  Abby people say that about you all the time.  Joy Madonna needs to reinvent herself. Hasn’t Madonna done that a million times?  Whoopie just seems annoyed with the whole story.  Have a feeling the ladies reactions are more entertaining then the article.

JMHO Joe who talks way too much first praise of John McCain was sincere then he noticed it shut Megan up so kept on saying it.  It wasn’t a terrible plan. 

Happy Whoopee  had good nurses.  When I was in the hospital with  pneumonia asthma I had to hold on to the wall and crawl to the bathroom.  If I asked a nurse for help they got annoyed.    

• Love 5
(edited)

Ok, I was really enjoying the show until Meghan had to bring up her father.  It’s not about you, Meghan!  Made it thru 45 mins.

Jill Biden is a lovely lady. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 18
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

It really irritates me when Nutmeg says that brain cancer is worse than other terminal cancers or fatal diseases.  Dead is dead, Meghan.  Those left behind are as grief stricken whether their loved one died from brain cancer, Alzheimer's, ALS, whatever.  They are all miserable diseases.  It's also more tragic when the person who died is in their teens, twenties or relatively young as opposed to someone in their 80s.  Shut up!

Baby Archie? Umm.  

This is why I did not watch the Jill Biden interview because I did not want to hear Megan crow again about her dad and knowing what the Bidens had gone through with their son losing his life to cancer.  He left small children behind. Megan was a fully formed adult when she lost hers.

Also Megan was really quiet in the first block, I guess her smackdown by Seth last night had her feeling blue. I want to kiss Seth for that lovely exchange. She did speak at the end though. 

I am glad that the ladies acknowledged the shooting but did not speak on it in depth. Megan would have derailed the conversation with her hysterias as soon as Joy brought up gun control.  Whoopie acted like a moderator and kept the topics going..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

So much this.  This annoys me to no fucking end.  How can you be an ally of the LGTBQ community when you support people who are not allies of the LGTBQ community?

Two of my best friends are gay men and they wouldn't be caught dead being friends with her.

Clay Aiken is gay and he considers Meghan to be one of his best friends.

• Love 2