Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: Bring Back My Queens!

• Start Topic

The queens makeover returning queens, transforming them into a member of their own drag family. Lena Waithe (The Chi) and comedian Wanda Sykes guest judge.

Airs May 9, 2019.

Ok, goodbye season 11. I said it last week, if they continued to keep pushing either Vangie or Silky and send any other home, it would be major bulshit of all season, and so it was. Good lucky for either Brooke and Ivye, but I wont be watching.

• Love 8

Noooo!!!!! I love Nina West!

Ok, to be fair, "Meh" was an accurate description of the lip sync but there is no way Silky beat Nina.  That was clearly a producer-driven decision.

Also, why were the eliminated queens asked their opinions about who should go home? (besides to create drama for Untucked)  That just seemed odd.

• Love 18
(edited)

So clearly no scrubs was a terrible choice for a lip sync.

In what world does the person with hair in their face and a wedgie win?

I was able to laugh off the sequin tank top nonsense in Allstars 2 but this is too much.

On a positive note, Honey looked so damn handsome with the beard🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by TwopLurker
Had to mention Honey
  • Love 21
(edited)

I actually thought Miss Vanjie won this one. I would have eliminated her last week, but since she's still here; why not give her the win? Make her the Miss Cracker of this season.

Last week Shuga Cain, this week Nina West both eliminations are disappointing although Nina's seems slightly more deserved. (This wasn't a strong week for her). 

I don't dislike Silky as much as a lot of people, but I feel like she's been weak this week and last. My least favorite part of this challenge was her little belt she had on. It was falling on the runway and falling during the lip sync.  I was hoping Silky was leaving.  

Untucked is better when they're not fighting. 

Nina West was my favorite and I will miss Nina West. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 7

Okay I agree with all the above comments ! Nina should have won and Silky was a mess in that lip sync. I thought Silky even forgot the words a few times. They should have given Vangie the win but Brooke’s look was amazing. 

This elimination definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth. 

• Love 17

I must be really naive because I had taken Silky at her word that she was a good lip syncer.  She's been talking it up all season.  Holy crap that was bad.  Did Silky even know the words?  I was hoping the Yvie-Silky showdown they've been setting up.

Also, Rupaul is insane for cutting the person who was highlighting trans rights after all the mistakes she's made in the past with her remarks on transgender people.  Twitter is going to be pissed.  

• Love 22

Look at the faces, Ru!

Anybody* can pull together two outfits in coordinating styles, colors or fabrics, but Vanjie actually made Ariel look like her.

I like Brooke Lynn a lot but was disappointed for Vangie and really hope she gets a win before she leaves. I root for her hard.

(Although that's more the competitive reality show watcher in me, because realistically Vangie is going to continue to have an fabulous career outside the show and doesn't need this.)

* Except Nina, apparently.

• Love 5

That lip synch was meh; however, I felt that Nina did a better job.  The judging this season is all over the place.  Vangie was the clear winner and Nina deserved to stay. 

• Love 15
(edited)

I could see either Nina or Shuga for Miss Congeniality. but it probably will be Nina.

If there were a Miss Anti-Congeniality, it wouldn't be Silky, but A'Keria.  Silky responds poorly to any criticism she receives, but A'Keria is the one who never leaves a pot unstirred.  She delights in bringing up whatever negative information she can.  I know the producers encourage it, but it is not a good look.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 20
10 minutes ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I must be really naive because I had taken Silky at her word that she was a good lip syncer.  She's been talking it up all season.  Holy crap that was bad.  Did Silky even know the words?  I was hoping the Yvie-Silky showdown they've been setting up.

Also, Rupaul is insane for cutting the person who was highlighting trans rights after all the mistakes she's made in the past with her remarks on transgender people.  Twitter is going to be pissed.  

Tonight sumarized something that shouldnt be a surprise about the show priorities: Bad scripted show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Messy Drama >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Competition>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LGBT rights/representation.

• Love 2
(edited)

Gross. 

Silky was a mess in the lip sync. She's been a mess with guest judges. She's a delusional, rude, arrogant, sometimes-fake mess behind the scenes. She plays the victim while being the jerk. And she's not fun to hate like past villains. She may as well just be given this win now, it'd be fitting for this season, which now feels lost. 

Um, I clearly have strong feelings. 

I also don't understand how it was OK for Akeriah to be basic and not reinvent the wheel. 

I really wanted Vanjie to take that. 

Can't wait for Nina to be in my town so I can tip her lots. Here's hoping they hire her to write all their future skits. 

At least all stars no longer owns the most wtf eliminations. 

Edit- I should have watched untucked before posting. Silky created a new story for herself with a frontrunner, Nina didn't. At least there's a reason. A dumb one, but a reason. 

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 11
(edited)
26 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I wouldn't have kept Nina over Silky because of the theme of her costumes.  I would have kept her because both her costumes and her lip sync were better.

Silky didn't even bother to tie her belt on tightly or glue/sew it on even though she knew she was likely lip syncing!  Then she almost tripped on it!  Then she tried to climb a wall!

Its not even just about tonight (with still was clear that Silky was out of her league), its about all season body of work... Yep, Vangie should have won tonights challenge but she wasnt even supose to be there.. ´´welcome to the competition Vangie`` like NOW??? They kept eliminate queens on little things (or even on nothing like last week) and saying: look, now its getting down to the wire, little things can eliminate you...  This when Vangie and Silky have weeks of poor job/same mistakes/flaws that pop out more than any other queen since Ra´Jah left (combined with tiresome characters). I wont be watching/dont follow spoilers, but at this point I wouldnt be surprised if they find a way to eliminate Yvie or who knows, Brooke, next week when a small improvement from Silky and Vangie will be consider a ´´comeback/you deserve to move on to the finale!``.

BTW: I dont blame either Vangie or Silky. The show is giving them the credit they dont deserve. For god sake, they only started to point out flaws on Silky like last week.. Before that was praise/victories when she didnt deserved. They made her feel she was killing it!

Edited by DanielleC.
  • Love 8

Manila Luzon would do a kickass lip sync to "No Scrubs." So would Latrice Royale.

Tammie Brown probably would, too.

The contestants on this season just suck at everything. What is this building up to? Silky and Vanjie doing a top two lip sync to the Macarena with endless reveals and wig tossing and crotch floor pounding?

I'm going to watch Coco Peru videos instead of any further episodes of this shit.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, phoenix780 said:

Silky was a mess in the lip sync. She's been a mess with guest judges. She's a delusional, rude, arrogant, sometimes-fake mess behind the scenes. She plays the victim while being the jerk. And she's not fun to hate like past villains. She may as well just be given this win now, it'd be fitting for this season, which now feels lost. 

Someone needs to take The Other Tyra's broke ass crown of MESS eventually. Miss New York: Take your time, Silky.

• Love 1

Oof, that was a bad lip sync. Silky was terrible; Nina wasn't much better but at least she tried. A'kira's description was spot-on.

I loved Yvie and Scarlet. I thought the makeup was great and the runway was weirdly beautiful. But I'll take Ross's word that it was less impressive up close. I've a fondness for Scarlet and her prancing around the workroom and her "whatever" attitude. Throw all the shade you want at her, she's unfazed.

Love Vanjie and thought she did a great job with Ariel - she looked gorgeous. BUT, I think overall, Brooke Lynn and Plastique had a better runway and Brooke deserved the win. 

• Love 14

There's no way Silky didn't lose that lipsync, her dance moves were limp, slow-mo and lazy.  'Meh' is correct, but send them both home if that's how you feel.  Nina was less-worse.  She did deserve to be in the bottom two though, because her outfit was cheap, ill fitting, and not enough.  Ross's comment about how Silky has what it takes to make it to the finish is delusional--especially since the competition ends with a lipsync contest!!  I don't agree that Yvie deserved to go home, her denim hedgehog looks were at least cohesive.  I'm glad the elegant Brooklyn finally got another win and not Vanji, who just did her standard look twice over. So I guess next week is just a question of who they send home to keep Silky/Vanji around.

• Love 14

Okay, last week Shuga gets put in the bottom for not being as fabulous as the other queens in a winning team, and now Silky gives what might be the sloppiest lip sync I've seen (that didn't involve a full scale meltdown, or the lifting another queen) and yet she stays.

What is going on? I know Ru has favorites, but... the audience isn't blind. We can see the performances. There is no explaining away these weird choices.

• Love 6

Silky showed her ass here and there in previous episodes but this week she had her bare ass hanging out for all the world to see (and I'm not just talking about her bad padding). First she couldn't answer a straightforward question from Ru and then she attacked everyone in the workroom who dared to have a less than glowing opinion of her. Just goes to show that she can dish it out but she can't take it.

Yvie and Scarlett were great as the weird denim sisters. Scarlett embraced the weirdness and really went for it, which I loved. While I get the judges saying that these weren't the most high fashion costumes, the runway challenge wasn't high fashion. I thought they looked similar and conveyed Yvie's weird aesthetic.

As much as I like Nina and Shuga, I felt like there wasn't enough tying them together. In these makeover challenges, you either need matching hair/makeup or matching costumes and they really had none of those things. I liked their costumes individually but they looked like they were two random people on their way to a pride parade. I just needed something that connected their looks. I loved that Shuga had so much energy on the runway.

A'Keria and Honey being paired showed me that Brooke Lynn really was trying to match people up in a helpful way. I know this challenge isn't all about matching outfits, but their almost identical dresses helped sell the family resemblance.

Silky spent so much time complaining about how Brooke Lynn was trying to screw her over by assigning Soju as her partner, but I remember plenty of these makeover challenges where the new person looked NOTHING like the competing queen and they still managed to do it successfully, so I was not here for her whining. She was so full of shit when she told the judges that she was trying to make Soju look good.

Vanjie and Ariel had a great family resemblance. Vanjie did a great job giving Ariel very similar makeup. And look! Vanjie wore something that wasn't a leotard!

Brooke Lynn and Plastique looked great. I liked that even though their hair was different colors, they still had a great family resemblance. I liked that Brooke Lynn clearly gave Plastique movement instruction so that the resemblance wasn't just hair/makeup/costumes. I loved that Michelle made sure to point out to Silky that Brook Lynne was able to make someone of a different race look like her sister.

When I saw the bottom three, I knew that we were in a no-win situation because there was no way that Ru would send her little pet Silky home. While Nina didn't give the most exciting lip sync I've ever seen, she looked like a pro compared to Silky's terrible performance. She was stumbling around the stage, throwing in random kicks ad splits, and generally giving me the kind of secondhand embarrassment that makes me hold my hands over my face and peek through my fingers. I mean, seriously, she was SO BAD. But obviously we are stuck with her until the bitter fucking end.

Michelle looked like Elvira this week.

• Love 23
(edited)

I hate the obnoxious Silkie. I hate that shady little bitch A'Keria. I hate Vanji yelling at me in all her talking heads. I especially hate Ru for her shit stirring and bogus decision making.

I hate this season.

Go Yvie.

Edited by Fake Jan Brady
  • Love 19

Wow, that lip sync was painful to watch. If this show was fair, they would have both been sent home. We've seen queens being eliminated before for much, much less. At this point Ru's tireless show of love and support for Silky has become shameless. In the workroom she even (quite pathetically) pretended to harshly reprimand her about her padding malfunction from last week only to then forget about it entirely and ignore Michelle's comments when, during the runway, she made Ru notice more than once that the padding in the back of Silky's suit still left much to be desired. 

Seeing the old queens made me miss some of them (Scarlet, Shuga - even though she just left) and wish they could still be here instead of somebody else (Silky, Vanjie). Scarlet was bang on the money with all her critiques of Silky and I loved her when she had the courage to say that "her runways are held to a different standard", because that's what EVERYONE thinks and no one has the guts to say. 

I actually liked Yvie and Scarlet's costumes and I really hope she'll be one of the final four, even though I think Brooke Lynn is headed for the win, unless Ru pulls the biggest scam of all time, leaving fans of the show everywhere speechless, and gives the crown to Silky or Vanjie, at which point I hope and pray Michelle or Ross will physically stop her. 

• Love 15

I honestly feel like when they were shooting this whole season, the producers thought they hit the jackpot about Silky and that she will be a fan favorite or that the audience will love her yada yada. Biggest fuck up ever.

More than Nina going, what appalled me the most was that if it wasn't a double sashay, then it should not be Nina going home. Silky has no business AT ALL to stay there after trying to ruin the set, not knowing the words, splits out of tune etc. At least Nina's basic dance moves were in beat, and I feel like she was imitating TLC, Salt N Pepa, Aaliyah 90s r&B moves, but TKB she ain't.

Also, Yvie should be top 3 right after Brooke Lynn and Vanjie.

• Love 15
32 minutes ago, icol said:

Also, Yvie should be top 3 right after Brooke Lynn and Vanjie.

I agree. I thought her look and runway presentation really screamed Yvie. A'Keria was nice, but basic, and I didn't think her look with Honey was as cohesive. 

• Love 7

Scarlet was spot-on about Silky but she should have stressed that who Silky got her most help from was RU herself...cause that's who's saving Silky week to week. Sure Silky can pull off a funny skit in a challenge but she's just portraying her self not exactly stretching her skills.  And when she whipped out the woe-is-me victim card on Brooke, I was like "ARE YOU SERIOUS?" Silky is SO delusional if she thinks she's SO nice to everyone and never once shady.  

I love this show and was thrilled to see Scarlet and Ariel (she's a fellow south Jersey girl) again but Ru is killing me with the Silky-love!  UGH!

• Love 9

This is the first season, in 11 years, when I absolutely do not care who wins Drag Race.   The remaining queens are all unlikable.  Even Brooke and Yvie.  Nina was the only thing keeping me around.  Was she the most daring, fashionable, or elegant drag performer?  No.  Was she fun, good spirited, and a (more or less) positive energy for this increasingly negative show?  Yes. 

So congrats to whomever wins.  This show is becoming a tired parody of itself, the type of reality shows it mocked in earlier seasons.

• Love 15

I realize that Nina was never going to make it to the finale as a contestant.  As entertaining as she is, her drag is not the style Ru wants in her winner.  She is too kitschy and old-school for the current Ru along with her obvious political stance that does not match up with Ru's politics.  Out of the final 6, Nina is definitely one that I would like to see live.  I just wish that she would have been eliminated in a fairer fashion.  Silky was the worst of the night and that lipsync did not elevate her.    I also hate that Nina got read for not being glamorous on the runway.  Yes most of the other queens went in that direction, but was it in the brief given to the queens?  It felt like a reach to me like last week with Suga being in the bottom to save Vangie and Silky.  

About Silky, I wonder if she has gained weight or lost weight during the competition.  Her excuses about the hip pads not behaving made me wonder if she has had a weight fluctuation that she did not know how to overcome.  Of course, she is so sloppy that maybe her pads were always lumpy, but she was wearing gowns that covered it.  If she does end up winning this thing, I will be pissed.  Silky half-asses her drag but thinks she is fabulous.  We have had larger queens who have given us better silhouettes over the years.  

• Love 8
(edited)

Very disappointed with Ru’s decision to send Nina home. 

The only highlight for me was discovering how goofy Soju’s is. 

Drag race has really become all about the drama queens, and less about elevating talented queens who  offer hope and inspiration to the community. 

I also despise the ‘who would you send home’ question. It’s a cheap tactic to stir the shit.

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 6

So, all of this is bullshit. The silver lining in all this nonsense, if there is one, is that Nina will likely be back for an All-Stars, and since we know they film multiple endings to deter spoilers, with Ru deciding at the last minute who wins in the regular seasons (and I see you, strangely-edited All-Stars "tie,") we should be spared a Silky win. Between the assault allegations, her nasty talking-heads (which Ru wouldn't have seen at the time) and her absolutely dire edit, I don't there's any way Ru can crown Silky, no matter how horribly biased toward her she is. If she couldn't justify Latrice, Ginger or Eureka for whatever reasons, then No!Silky. The backlash would be fierce, and not in the good way.

I think, and I will offer up appropriate prayers and sacrifices, Silky goes next, then I think Vanjie's gone as far as she can, with Brooke Lynn, Akeria and Yvie the F3. I don't really seek Akeria winning, so likely it will be either Yvie or BL. I think if Silky truly wants a drag career, it would be better for her to not get to the finale and have all her flaws highlighted on that stage.

I did think I would have the makeover subjects being former competitors, but I ended up liking it. We still got the "can't walk in heels' bit, and it was like a mini-reunion, without Ru being able to rug-sweep. I hope Ariel got her wigs back!

• Love 8

Auuuuugh.  That's really all I can say.   RuPaul has done pulled the Lucy to my heart's Charlie Brown.  I thought for sure that we were going to get that Silky / evyie Showdown that they've been telegraphing since day one, but no.  Instead we got that mess.

Silky even slipped on her damn costume that was falling apart, couldn't find a beat IN THAT SONG to appropriately cooter slam to, and wore that highly suspicious threadbare long pony, you know, the one that even TS Madison called suspicious, yet again, for a wig reveal that wasn't timed for shit.  

it should have been a double elim if anything.  I won't say that Nina did an amazing job in that lipsync... but there's no way that the mess that Silky did was worth a chante.

• Love 18

If Silky wins this season she shouldn't show up in all stars later. So, I'm now cool with a victory for her, if it spares me future appearances. 

I wish someone would have asked her who she thought she should have been assigned. 

In non-Silky thoughts, I wonder why this makeover didn't include a performance element beyond the runway. In the past, haven't they done a little dance or cheer- something. Here, they had past queens instead of ordinary folk, I really expected they'd have layered in something additional. They did have a lot of yelling to show, though, so it'd have been hard to fit that in.  

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, phoenix780 said:

I wish someone would have asked her who she thought she should have been assigned. 

Good point. Honestly, she would have complained she was being sabotaged no matter who had been assigned to her so it didn't really matter.

• Love 8

I can't remember a worse LSFYL than Silky's ... even Valentina, despite not knowing the words, didn't seem drunk and deranged.  Silky's aimless flopping around (and not even desperate flopping around, casual out-of-time flopping around) had me in hysterics.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

I am kinda feeling bad tho that EVERY article coming out is saying what a fucked up choice Ru made keeping silky and silky should have gone home I mean you know she sees these things and that does kinda have to crush silky. kinda like roxxxy Andrews and always being the joke of her season for being carried to the end and not earning  it.. its 100% true but it does have to sting being the person who its being said about 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
Earning instead of earrings
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I am kinda feeling bad tho that EVERY article coming out is saying what a fucked up choice Ru made keeping silky and silky should have gone home I mean you know she sees these things and that does kinda have to crush silky. kinda like roxxxy Andrews and always being the joke of her season for being carried to the end and not earring it.. its 100% true but it does have to sting being the person who its being said about 

What you say is kind and truthful, but........Silky is such an odious personalty, she has brought this all on herself. Perhaps it will be a humbling and growing experience for her. Nah, she will just be madder at the world.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

you know she sees these things and that does kinda have to crush silky. kinda like roxxxy Andrews and always being the joke of her season for being carried to the end and not earring it.

True, and I hope that Silky takes a page from Roxxxy's playbook and uses this experience to humble herself. Roxxxy was at least aware of the fact that she was being helped along in AS2 and she was kind and humble with the other queens. Silky seems entitled instead. She is young, she can change if she wants to. Hopefully this teaches her the value of grace and kindness.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Adeejay said:

That lip synch was meh; however, I felt that Nina did a better job.  The judging this season is all over the place.  Vangie was the clear winner and Nina deserved to stay. 

THIS.

I think I may be out.  Nina was my fave.  Brook Lynn irked me in Untucked (and I like her, a lot).  I just have ... no one to truly LOVE in the competition, anymore.  Faves are gone.  People I respected are dwindling, in my mind.  People I can't stand are thriving.  Why watch?

• Love 2