Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, xtwheeler said:

Simon is played by James Callis, who is both extremely talented as well as very well-known for, among other things, starring in Battlestar Galactica (where he was absolutely astonishing) and a fantastic season of 12 Monkeys. He may be more of a genre actor, but he's not a poor man's anybody! He's a graduate of London Academy of Music & Dramatic Arts. Check him out on BSG, especially. He's an extraordinary talent. 

Mileage varies, I suppose.  I can't stand that actor.  He's pretty much the reason why I gave up on Battlestar Galactica.  I couldn't stand his simpering, whiny ways and mannerisms.  I had heard it might have gotten better but I just couldn't take him anymore.  I get that some of it might be the way the character was written but that show was my first exposure to this actor and it's stuck with me.  I also can't stand his "look at me" overly long Pantene hair.

• Love 1

Note to bad guys:  A good way to get rid of someone riding on the top of your car at high speed is to just hit the brakes.  Honest.

Note to good guys acting like bad guys:  Don't take your masks off.  Don't even let a cute bit of hair hang out of the mask.  The "That was pure Statham' remark was gold, though.

Note to professors:  If you're going to confront a bad guy with the knowledge that you know he's a bad guy, don't drink the wine.  Don't you ever watch tv?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
59 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Note to professors:  If you're going to confront a bad guy with the knowledge that you know he's a bad guy, don't drink the wine.  Don't you ever watch tv?

At least let somebody else see your incriminating evidence before you hand the only copy over to the bad guy.

I really enjoyed that all the guys got together to met at Father Chuck's place. I thought they were going to split into 2 groups, I would never in a million years thought they would split into 3 groups.

Gwen has become loosey-goosey after her chat with Father Chuck! I am not even sure which side of the law she is on now.

• Love 3

Well, given how predictable this show is, the reveal of Farouk's parentage was a surprise to me. When Mr. ratSenoL and I saw the flashback with Reese being rescued by the Egyptian woman, we both immediately went, "that's Lexi's mom." But, no. 

So, if Reese is Farouk's father ... why would he foot the bill for Lexi and Danny, the latter of whom seemed to be a successful detective, to fly all over the world to hunt down his own son (and thus Jacob himself)?  Perhaps they'll connect the dots for us next week or maybe just handwave it all away.

But, it's been a fun ride, so I'll see it to the end.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2019 at 1:22 PM, sigmaforce86 said:

Still interesting week after week - I think Danny is right about the brotherhood being behind the taking of Anthony & Cleopatra, to me the biggest clue is that Lexi, Danny & Shaw were left alive on that island.  That would be a rookie move from Farouk's team, there's no way they wouldn't have known Danny & his team were still on the island and no way they wouldn't have at least checked the cave to see if Shaw's buddy had left them alive or not.  That makes the Brotherhood being the culprits more likely.   Also hoping Larroquette is a red herring since the show has already been renewed.........I'd prefer he not be the big bad because I'd like to see him again next season.

Also boys and girls what did we learn from the clues found in tonight's episode?  Buttons for the men!  No pretentious cuff links on your everyday suit shirts.  Save those for the tuxedo's....... buttons were invented for a reason

And we should have learned that Deseado is in Argentina, no where near the Bermuda Triangle.

7 hours ago, ratSenoL said:

So, if Reese is Farouk's father ... why would he foot the bill for Lexi and Danny, the latter of whom seemed to be a successful detective, to fly all over the world to hunt down his own son (and thus Jacob himself)?  Perhaps they'll connect the dots for us next week or maybe just handwave it all away.

But, it's been a fun ride, so I'll see it to the end.

Reese turned out to be pretty much all out bad guy. I think he wanted Farouk dead so that it never came out he was a terrorist's father. Or maybe Farouk was blackmailing him.

When he was talking to Danny, I almost believed him about really caring for Danny like a son and that he was going to turn himself in.  You don't kill someone to hide a secret when you are already going to confess to a crime.

• Love 1

For a generally light and fun adventure show, it sure does have a high body count! Poor Ana, she never should have gone to the possible villains place alone with revealing information about him and then accepted a drink. I guess she spent more time reading ancient manuscripts than watching James Bond movies or she might have seen this coming. I mean, read the room lady!

I admit I didn't see Reese being Farouk's father coming, at least until about right before the reveal. Its actually a pretty good twist and it lets us figure some stuff out by ourselves. Reese hooked up with Egyptian archaeologist type, he leaves while she is pregnant, she writes to let him know but his mom hides the letters so he never finds out until much later, and when he finds out, he sets up a trust fund, which Farouk uses to fund his terror and go after his dad he thinks ditched him and his mom, and now Reese wants to cover it all up. At least thats what I am guessing based on what we saw this week went down. Oh, and we can assume he let Lexi and Danny do all of this because he inherited the obsession with finding Anthony and Cleopatra from his dad, and would risk a lot to find them. I really did buy it when he told Danny that he loved him like a son, but what will he do when Danny inevitably finds out the truth? 

Some good banter this week with so many characters interacting, especially Shaw trying to give Lexi advice on being a supportive girlfriend, Danny's ridiculous London Gangster accent "That was pure Statham", and poor Father Chucks confusion at a whole crowd of random people showing up in his house. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

ourselves. Reese hooked up with Egyptian archaeologist type, he leaves while she is pregnant, she writes to let him know but his mom hides the letters so he never finds out until much later, and when he finds out, he sets up a trust fund, which Farouk uses to fund his terror and go after his dad he thinks ditched him and his mom, and now Reese wants to cover it all up. At least thats what I am guessing based on what we saw this week went down. Oh, and we can assume he let Lexi and Danny do all of this because he inherited the obsession with finding Anthony and Cleopatra from his dad, and would risk a lot to find them. I really did buy it when he told Danny that he loved him like a son, but what will he do when Danny inevitably finds out the truth? 

This makes a certain amount sense. The title of the finale is "The Revenge of Farouk," so perhaps it's Reese that Farouk wants revenge on.  

We still don't know how Zara died, just that she was exposed to the mycotoxin.  Perhaps her death is something else that Farouk blames on Reese.  Did the show specify how long she's been dead? I don't always pay close attention when I watch.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, ratSenoL said:

Did the show specify how long she's been dead? I don't always pay close attention when I watch.

I think they said that she died of mummy cancer sometime in the 90s, not sure on specifics. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

Well, now that we know Reece was Farouk's father, I'm seriously bummed we didn't get a dramatic face-off between them. I think it was a mistake to kill off Farouk as early as they did in the series. He should have been around for the finale. Having our heroes race around to try and stop a group of Farouk's followers, whose names we don't even know, just isn't that compelling.

I still can't believe the professor accepted and DRANK a glass of wine from a bad guy she'd just told she had the goods on. Really, girl? Were you that parched? And why did Reece have a poison sitting around his office? Was he planning to take it himself and peace out before Danny could turn him into the Feds? I've very confused about Reece. I didn't think he was a legit baddie (art theft and trying to hide that your illegitimate son is a terrorist aren't so horrible you can't come back from them), but then he cold-bloodedly murdered someone I thought he cared about and now I'm doubting all of his claims of loving Danny like a son. UGH Danny does not have good luck with the father figures in his life.

So many of the main cast members have been killed this season. I guess they're going to have to start over with a new "team" next year. I do hope Shaw is a part of it.

• Love 2

"We're getting ready to ambush a convoy out here in the trackless wasteland of the desert, but, sure, I have time to take a phone call".  And by the way, the cell phone coverage out here is excellent.

Why was Father Chuck wearing a ring on his left hand?

You would think,with all that money and notoriety, Farouk would hire better bodyguards than the day workers from the Seychelles Home Depot.

Nice homage to Oceans 11 at the end.  I'm surprised Danny didn't reference it, only to have Lexi look at him in puzzlement.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 1

I'm disappointed that there was not one mention of looking at the mummy of Cleopatra.  Also, Antony.  Was he also mummified?  So much debate over the years over what Cleopatra looked like, you'd think they would have scanned the mummy and did facial reconstruction, etc.

I'm a bit unclear on what happened to Reese at the end.  He killed Castillo, he almost died and then Lexi gave him the antidote.  Is he presumably now in prison?  What happens to his millions of dollars and his museum in Cairo?  I definitely saw that there was an "Ana Castillo Wing" but the museum was still the Reese Museum.  

Simon Hardwick / Karim Farouk (who doesn't even remotely look like he could be half-Egyptian btw) is also in prison, but it sounds like he could get out and be back for Season 2.

Where does that leave Danny?  Danny was working for Reese and without his benefactor, he's out of a job.  Do he and Lexi join Interpol?  Gwen temporarily deputized him but then he gave back the shield.  I would imagine the five standing at the end in the chamber are going to be the core team next year.

Glad that this show is coming back next summer, I'm eager to see what kind of archaeological treasure and worldwide threat the team will be chasing.

Also, a note to producers:  If you're going to set your action in an exotic foreign country, you should at least identify your helicopter as from that country.  Interpol is international, but I don't think they'd bring a copter from Canada to Egypt.  I will give credit for mostly blocking out the registration number by the promo for another tv show.  Just a nitpick

• LOL 1
44 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm disappointed that there was not one mention of looking at the mummy of Cleopatra.  Also, Antony.  Was he also mummified?  So much debate over the years over what Cleopatra looked like, you'd think they would have scanned the mummy and did facial reconstruction, etc.

I'm a bit unclear on what happened to Reese at the end.  He killed Castillo, he almost died and then Lexi gave him the antidote.  Is he presumably now in prison?  What happens to his millions of dollars an

Simon Hardwick / Karim Farouk (who doesn't even remotely look like he could be half-Egyptian btw) is also in prison, but it sounds like he could get out and be back for Season 2.

Genetics can do weird things. My sister worked with someone who was half Native American. She was a carbon copy of her emigrated to the U.S. from Ireland mother. White white skin. Bright red hair. Hazel eyes. 

• Love 1

On the suspension of disbelief front, we have a bunch of people in a room that has all the doors padlocked from the inside. OK, so our hero has to crash through a skylight. I’m fine with that. But then less than 30 seconds later, the cavalry arrives, running into the room through the same padlocked doors?

I watched this mosly for the exotic locales, and sort of lost interest in the plot a few weeks ago. I felt they stretched the story out to fit a given number of episodes. I do think this has potential in a second season with some better writing.

20 hours ago, blackwing said:

Glad that this show is coming back next summer, I'm eager to see what kind of archaeological treasure and worldwide threat the team will be chasing.

They will find out that there were actually 15 Commandments (3 tablets, oh, no!), and now Father Chuck is in trouble with the Vatican.  Danny utters another catch phrase:  "Lexi, you got some 'splainin' to do."

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm a bit unclear on what happened to Reese at the end.  He killed Castillo, he almost died and then Lexi gave him the antidote.  Is he presumably now in prison?  What happens to his millions of dollars and his museum in Cairo?  I definitely saw that there was an "Ana Castillo Wing" but the museum was still the Reese Museum.  

Where does that leave Danny?  Danny was working for Reese and without his benefactor, he's out of a job.  Do he and Lexi join Interpol?  Gwen temporarily deputized him but then he gave back the shield.  I would imagine the five standing at the end in the chamber are going to be the core team next year.

Yeah, I think we've seen the last of Reese.  It's ironic that Danny was the one that wanted to let him die whereas Lexi is the one that said he needed to live to pay for his sins.  His name and reputation will be destroyed.  Who knows where all the money and artifacts go, does the government take them?

As I said in a much earlier post, I can't stand Simon Hardwick.  And this was before there was any inkling that he was evil and Karim Farouk.  I don't care for his mannerisms or his hair either.  But it seems like he is the designated villain for next season which I will not enjoy.

I'm a little surprised that they tied everything so neatly in a bow, complete with Danny and Lexi kissing as the screen fades to black.  Maybe they weren't sure if they'd get renewed and wanted to have a contained storyline.  Which isn't a bad way to end it instead of a cliffhanger and then we never know what happens because season 2 never occurs.

1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

They will find out that there were actually 15 Commandments (3 tablets, oh, no!), and now Father Chuck is in trouble with the Vatican.  Danny utters another catch phrase:  "Lexi, you got some 'splainin' to do."

I definitely wouldn't mind the Vatican hiring Danny and Lexi and forcing Father Chuck to go along as an authority on the subject. Father Chuck just needs to lose the Boston accent. Gwen and Shaw show up to help for some reason.

• Love 1

How can a show that is so drenched in tropes and cliches continue to actually throw me for a loop over and over. I admit I had no idea that Simon would turn out to be the bad guy, even though in retrospect I really should have seen it coming. Why have James Callis on your show if he is just a background character to drop exposition and be light comic relief? 

This show is so silly that I actually admire it. I mean, they even did the Die Hard thing with Danny leaping through the window in the ceiling to gun down the terrorists, complete with Ode to Joy in the background, the Oceans 11 ending, and even the guy being saved by the bullet getting caught in something he had in his pocket, all completely straight and without a trace of irony. So much of television is so drenched in irony and trying to subvert viewer expectation and prove how smart and shocking and edgy they can be, I admit to enjoying a fun summer show where we get some fun action and banter, and get to see lots of cool locations. 

It sure does take a special kind of rich asshole to name a wing of your museum after the woman you just poisoned. 

So what do they chase next? Some kind of Vatican mission thing with Father Chuck? Do they find the lost city of Atlantis? Secret messages in cave paintings? There are certainly plenty of options!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

How can a show that is so drenched in tropes and cliches continue to actually throw me for a loop over and over. I admit I had no idea that Simon would turn out to be the bad guy, even though in retrospect I really should have seen it coming. Why have James Callis on your show if he is just a background character to drop exposition and be light comic relief? 

This show is so silly that I actually admire it. I mean, they even did the Die Hard thing with Danny leaping through the window in the ceiling to gun down the terrorists, complete with Ode to Joy in the background, the Oceans 11 ending, and even the guy being saved by the bullet getting caught in something he had in his pocket, all completely straight and without a trace of irony. So much of television is so drenched in irony and trying to subvert viewer expectation and prove how smart and shocking they can be, I admit to enjoying a fun summer show where we get some fun action and banter, and get to see lots of cool locations. 

It sure does take a special kind of rich asshole to name a wing of your museum after the woman you just poisoned. 

So what do they chase next? Some kind of Vatican mission thing with Father Chuck? Do they find the lost city of Atlantis? Secret messages in cave paintings? There are certainly plenty of options!

Yes! This! It's like a Dan Brown novel for the small screen, a fluffy beach read with lots of adventure, some humor and romance, gorgeous locations (and people), that doesn't require much effort on the viewer's part. Sometimes, you just want to escape the news, and this wound up being an excellent vehicle for that. As an added bonus, we got characters that actually grew as the story progressed.

I didn't have much expectation for this show, so I wound up being more than pleasantly surprised, especially with the twists and turns towards the end.  I enjoyed watching for the many unabashed nods to shows from Indiana Jones to Oceans 11.  I find I'm looking forward to the next season and wondering how they'll make it as entertaining and interesting as this one turned out to be. 

I'm thinking most of the Brotherhood was killed at Tanis so perhaps Lexi and Danny wind up there where they can apply their talents to another mystery. As long as Father Chuck, Gwen, and Aiden are there in some capacity, I'm in.  

• Love 1

I gasped when Shaw got shot because I realized I didn't want him to die. He's entertaining.

On a completely shallow note, Lexi looked amazing in the suit with the heels and red lipstick.

• Love 1

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the "Ocean's 11 ending"?  I vaguely remember the gang staring at the Bellagio fountain not saying anything to each other and then they walk off.  Is that what people mean here?  The five of them looking at each other and then the other three walk off leaving Danny and Lexi to kiss?  Or was there some twist at the very end that just completely passed over my head?

17 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the "Ocean's 11 ending"?  I vaguely remember the gang staring at the Bellagio fountain not saying anything to each other and then they walk off.  Is that what people mean here?  The five of them looking at each other and then the other three walk off leaving Danny and Lexi to kiss?  Or was there some twist at the very end that just completely passed over my head?

You've summed up the visual, but the additional detail to both endings is that Clair de Lune was the musical soundtrack.

Remember, this show is never subtle.