Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E12: Awkward

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

One castaway gets caught red-handed rummaging through someone’s bag at camp. Castaways battle to win reward in the form of love when family members pay a visit.

Original airdate 5/1/2019

I love that this is the most divisive ep of Survivor every year.

Because I would totally sound like Julie if my hubby ran out of the woods towards me after I’ve been sitting in my own filth for 30 days.  I would be unintelligible.  My hubby, on the other hand, would be like “I JUST saw you a month ago.  Settle down.”

Goddamn Ron.  Lloyd is a frickin fox.

Rick.  I like you.  Please stop gloating.  Also, acting like a jackass is going to send your ass on a one way ticket back to EoE if you don’t win immunity in three days.

Wait just a damn minute.  When the hell did Reem get so magnanimous?  Since when is it “just a game?”  Oh, I guess when it’s someone you don’t know ending up on the island with you, not the people who voted you out because they met you.

• Love 19

I begrudgingly have to give credit to Rick for playing that well even though he still annoys me to no end.

Aurora's "I don't care" attitude just cracks me up.

I am loving this new potential alliance of Victoria and Lauren. Speaking of which even though Victoria technically voted for Rick I am still going to credit her for a perfect voting record as she was the one who came up with the split vote plan to oust Ron had Rick played an idol.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yay, it’s that time of the year when half of us bitch about the family visits and the other half loves it. As always, I loathe them. Coincidentally, tonight’s episode of Big Brother Canada also featured family visits and it was adorable. Which has made me realize that it’s Probst dragging it out with his stupid questions that makes it so unbearable for me.

Rick was actually really entertaining tonight and that Tribal was glorious! Making Ron & Julie look like they were trying to humiliate him (even though there was actually strategy behind it) and then pulling out the real idol won him a ton of jury votes if he can make it to the end.

Every time they have one of those challenges where their feet are perched on a tiny ledge, it always makes me miss handsome Yul explaining why elephants can’t run up trees.

And then saying this is why he never gets dates.

The family visit had such a weird vibe this year.  I thought it dragged on longer than normal.  The only thing I look forward to is to see how different the loved ones look from the visual I had in my mind of them.  Usually about half of them are total opposite of what I was expecting.

• Love 4

I hate the loved ones segments. You’ve only been apart 30 days not 30 months, calm down.

great TC. Rick is so smug but that was funny to me mostly because I don’t like Julie. I think the women are going to take over. 

• Love 11

It's really interesting that Rick seemed to get the credit for the Ron boot in the eyes of the jury when it was Victoria, Lauren and Gavin. He's the only one who's figured out it's all about perception (or the only one the jury wants to give credit, because the Kamas are so hated).

• Love 10

Great episode! If there was no Extinction Island, I'd be loving it right now. Once Victoria came up with that plan I knew Ron was toast. Rick would obviously play his idol. It would be funny if he found an idol the day after every tribal.

I'm glad Aurora survived. I was kind of wondering how she felt when Ron said that the relationship between a father and daughter is very special. She could have cringed inside or maybe just blew it off because she was used to no special relationship.

I teared up over Gavin and his wife. Hard to have your husband go away, but I think she made the right decision when she said he could go. He will always be grateful for that. 

• Love 9
(edited)

All I could think was Ron was probably more concerned about looking bad in front of the jury than he was with what he did to Rick.

I also noticed that Lauren took over the constant eye rolls to fill the void left by Wentworth.  This was probably the first episode where I really liked her.  I'm glad we finally have some strong ladies working together.

I would never want to win the family visit, or get picked for it.  I'd probably ask one of my friends to come or some relative I don't care for so I wouldn't get picked.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Now that was a beautiful blindside,  Ron's smirk fading to alarm was so wonderful. Rick has been awesome this whole season, he probably has no chance but I would love to see him win.

See, I think he is getting the winner's edit.  The jury was just eating up whatever he was feeding them.   I am really starting to pull for Aurora and her give no f's attitude.

Lauren had the saddest face I've ever seen on Survivor when she didn't get chosen to bring her dad back to camp.  

• Love 13

So, the family visit...also known as the most godawful hour every season. I still don't get it even after all these years. Sack up people...you just saw your loved ones a few weeks ago! Some people are never going to see their loved ones again. It's just so ridiculous. I was gong to cut Gavin some slack given the situation, but then I realized he was probably with his fiancee for a long time before they got married...all the crying, all the sobbings is just so overblown.

In a season when it's hard to care about the actual players trying to muster up any feelings for family members is downright impossible.

The only notable thing was Lauren turning out to be the daughter of Tony Almeida from 24.

I despise Devins and his cocksure attitude. But I can just sense the producers like him so win or lose this likely won't be the last time we see him.

Lastly, I'm probably going to be in the minority on this one but...I don't feel like Devins should have had the chance to play the idol. You should only get one chance and if he played the wrong one well...tough noogies!

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
(edited)

That was one of the most satisfying tribal counsels I've seen in a while. I absolutely loved the fact that Rick called out Ron & Julie.

I didn't know if after Rick played the expired note Ron gave him, that he could then play his idol. So glad he could.

Ron, to me, always gave off a, you shouldn't trust me, vibe. And Aurora, the shamelessness she displayed after getting caught going through Rick's bag was revolting. Seeing her go will be a real pleasure.

Edited by Ike Mana
  • Love 15
(edited)

Prior to Tribal, the most notable point was the audio going out a few times in the first act. Weirdest thing: I could see, I heard the music, but no dialogue. It was nice. Weird, but nice.

I think we got the Winner's Reunion Moment tonight. Rick played an expired advantage, got denied, pitched a faux fit . . . then turned around, played an idol and saved himself. As ambivalent as I am this season (yadda, yadda, "so ambivalent, I barely care"), that was a fun moment. Of course, Edge of Extinction basically takes out a lot of wind out of the sail. The only advantage Survivor has gotten from EoE is the money saved on feeding jury members at Ponderosa. Seriously, this isn't Redemption Island, where players had to win to stay in the game. They just hang out in desolation, and none of them have a chance of winning. The only way that happens is if one of them wins their way back and goes to Day 39 with two assholes and/or sacrificial goats. I think the biggest winner is the first booted. She could host a talk show. Reem & Rhyson. Fuck it, I think that's still a good joke.

As for Rick making a big scene . . . big whoop. If I was okay with "Ben Bombs" coming from his opponents not making sure he wasn't grabbing idols left and right, I'm great with Rick showboating. And he didn't even use the phrase "fake news." He's a news anchor. Did you know he was a news anchor? Because his hints are so subtle. 🙄

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

Ron's husband is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Julia is so annoying on the jury.  She renders Kelley invisible, that's how freaking annoying she is.

Reem was nice this episode it was even funnier than when she's mean.  What a curveball!

I'll echo some others:  Devens did a great job at tribal.  He was so freaking naive all episode but in the end, he did exactly what he should have. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 21

I thought this episode was riveting; the most interesting of the season so far. My two favorite moments: 

1. Ron getting voted off

2. Jeff introducing Ron's husband by saying, "Let's see who married you." From what I could tell, Ron's husband seemed much nicer and more handsome than Ron deserves.

This is the first episode I've liked Victoria, and I hope she and Lauren really are forming an alliance. Of the remaining players, I'd be OK with anyone but Julie winning. I dislike her intensely because of her alliance with Ron (and also because I find her annoying).

• LOL 2
  • Love 20
(edited)
26 minutes ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

See, I think he is getting the winner's edit.  The jury was just eating up whatever he was feeding them.  

Oh, I agree.  I thought an anvil fell from the sky this episode. Nobody else is close to his edit.

Also, I wonder how much noise he made when he climbed the tree  and got that idol. I'm kinda amazed he pulled that off. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Oh, I agree.  I thought an anvil fell from the sky this episode. Nobody else is close to his edit.

Also, I wonder how much noise he made when he climbed the tree  and got that idol. I'm kinda amazed he pulled that off. 

So am I.  I know that the logical explanation would be an animal or something, but I can't believe no one heard anything and didn't just check.  I was hoping Rick would get stuck up there.  He already had the idol, what could they have done?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Great episode! If there was no Extinction Island, I'd be loving it right now. Once Victoria came up with that plan I knew Ron was toast. Rick would obviously play his idol. It would be funny if he found an idol the day after every tribal.

I'm glad Aurora survived. I was kind of wondering how she felt when Ron said that the relationship between a father and daughter is very special. She could have cringed inside or maybe just blew it off because she was used to no special relationship.

I teared up over Gavin and his wife. Hard to have your husband go away, but I think she made the right decision when she said he could go. He will always be grateful for that. 

No it wouldnt be funny. It would reelk of Producer Pet like people were bitching about Ben being 

• Love 2

I’d love it if Rick won the whole shebang.  I really, really like the guy.  Happiest I’ve been about a boot (Ron) in quite awhile.  I hate that players can go through bags — seems very dirty even if it’s technically allowed.  I watched when each loved one came out to get a good look at who was who but I FF’d through all of the verbiage except the newlyweds.  That was totally the way to survive the loved ones visit.  Agreed on Ron’s husband — oh myyyy!  

• Love 16
(edited)
29 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Again I will complain about people going through other player's bags.  I still don't think it's right.  I was rooting for Aurora until then...now she's dead in my book.

Meh, Aurora was closest to the bag as every other person present said "do it".  

I don't like it either, but the taboo on bag searching ship sailed long ago.

I like how she refused to try to bullshit her way out and just owned it.

eta:  and Anchorman Devin's response was a bit over the top.

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 22
(edited)
9 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Meh, Aurora was closest to the bag as every other person present said "do it".  

I don't like it either, but the taboo on bag searching ship sailed long ago.

I like how she refused to try to bullshit her way out and just owned it.

eta:  and Anchorman Devin's response was a bit over the top.

This.  I 100% disagree with allowing people to go through each other's possessions, but Aurora wasn't the only culprit (was it even her idea?)  I appreciate that she at least made it seem like it was for the game and made no apologies.  Lauren was probably thanking her lucky stars that her idol is buried somewhere on the beach.  I really didn't want Aurora to go tonight, but I'm especially glad she didn't go because Ron got exposed and didn't get his own way.  Though it would have been very interesting to hear him explain himself back at camp.  

I'm curious why Aurora would give her extra vote to Gavin, and not one of the girls.  

And that jury box is way too crowded.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yay, it’s that time of the year when half of us bitch about the family visits and the other half loves it. As always, I loathe them.

And some of us are indifferent. Honestly, I don't care enough about the loved ones visit to be bothered by it or bitch about it or be happy about it. I just see it as a thing that happens every season. It takes like ten minutes of one episode and it's over. 

And in this hot mess of a season with the completely pointless EoE crap, the loved ones visit definitely wouldn't even register on my radar of things to be bothered by. And I saw someone say the season is ending in two weeks? Is that right? WTF then...no really, are they just not going to end this ever? Like will Jeff be reading the winner and the other two will be given the option to "continue in the game"? Like WHEN WILL THIS END?

And it's what's killing any real joy I can get out of the moves at tribal council. I was so looking forward to Ron's end and I should have been relishing it. And I wanted so much to enjoy Rick's move more than I did. But as I began to cackle in glee, I knew this stupid "continue in the game" option would be waiting for Ron. 

That said, no matter how brief, I did so enjoy that moment from Rick and I loved how the jury didn't even hide their joy and glee over it. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

It's really interesting that Rick seemed to get the credit for the Ron boot in the eyes of the jury when it was Victoria, Lauren and Gavin. He's the only one who's figured out it's all about perception (or the only one the jury wants to give credit, because the Kamas are so hated).

If he does it is only temporary as the truth of who masterminded the move will eventually come out.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LanceM said:

If he does it is only temporary as the truth of who masterminded the move will eventually come out.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I'm still smarting that Devon got absolutely no credit for his brilliant plan to make Ben a double agent on Heroes Healers Hustlers -- a plan I believe Ben took credit for with the jury as "super-spy Ben." Yes, Ben pulled it off, but it was Devon's brainchild.

While I'm sure Rick wouldn't lie if directly asked, it's going to be very hard for Victoria, Lauren or Gavin to be like "that was me" when they all sat there, stone-faced, and Rick was hamming it up. Perception is reality in this game, and especially with the jury.

• Love 7

That was fun to watch. Is there anyone on this board who thought that Rick had not gotten the other idol? Really?

I loved that he called Ron and Julie on the stupidity of the fake idol play. Ron could hae defended it saying “I was hoping that you would feel comfortable and not go look for an idol so we coud vote you off.” That would have been legit game play but Ron was at Angelina level of “I want to look like I am brilliant and ticked you” stupidity. 

So I was thrilled when Rick pulled out the other idol. Not because I want to see Rick win, but because I love it when the idiots who see themselves as puppetmasters get played. And I loved watching Ron’s face fall. 

And I really don’t like Ron and Julie when they think they are in control, they are insifferable. Almost Brad Culpepper levels of insufferable. Smug, self satisfied, asses. And equally unable to function as Brad when they are not in power. So I lloved the look on Julie’s face, she who has done nothing, when Rick pulled out the real idol. Seriously, Julie was all sanctamonious about not voting Rick out when he came back, completly feel apart when she was blindsided the first time, and has been riding Ron’s coattails ever since. Does she really think that she has had a say in anything that is happening?

That said, I don’t want Rick to win. He is playing an ok game. He has been lied to how many times? At least this time he saw it coming and was able to work around it. And he was able to out Ron and Julie as being a special type of idiot. But he is a smug, self satisfied twerp as well. He makes me think of Mike from the awful season with Dan and Will. Rick was fine when he was in the drivers seat on Manu but when he feel into the minority, he just became a different something. I don’t know how to describe it. He is getting by on idols and immunity wins and a bit of luck. He is wittier then Mike but something about his game play is so self satisfied and hyped that it is just annoying.

Lauren is there an I think playing but still not impressing me. Gavin is kind of the same. 

I love Aurora and her “whatever” approach to the game. SHe doesn’t care that she was caught looking in Rick’s bag. Rick knows he is on the outs and she is happy to try and figure out what he might have hidden. I also like that it took her 5 seonds to realize the advantage Ron and given Rick was bogus. I’ll take her style of play any day. She does well in challenges, knows it is a game, and is scrappy.

Victoria is playing an under the radar game. She has some big moves to her name, Aubry, and I suspect is behind more then what we have seen. Victoria is not the cold player that Aurora is or the attention seeker that Rick is. She is there, listening and making moves.No where near Sandra in her game play, althugh under the radar, and far less dickish then Mike last year. 

So I’ll take a Vicotria or Aurora win. Rick would be ok. Reem is still my coice to win it all, but I doubt she makes it back in.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I'm still smarting that Devon got absolutely no credit for his brilliant plan to make Ben a double agent on Heroes Healers Hustlers -- a plan I believe Ben took credit for with the jury as "super-spy Ben." Yes, Ben pulled it off, but it was Devon's brainchild.

While I'm sure Rick wouldn't lie if directly asked, it's going to be very hard for Victoria, Lauren or Gavin to be like "that was me" when they all sat there, stone-faced, and Rick was hamming it up. Perception is reality in this game, and especially with the jury.

I mean Rick can ham it up as much as he wants but 4 people know the truth of that plan and I suspect a couple of them will end up on the jury.  

And Victoria and Lauren were certainly not stone faced they were all smiles when that vote went down.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I loved that he called Ron and Julie on the stupidity of the fake idol play.

It was only stupid because he had the fresh HII.  He seemed to think Ron's gift was real, until it wasn't, pulled the new idol, then went on a gloating spree.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

That was fun to watch. Is there anyone on this board who thought that Rick had not gotten the other idol? Really?

I loved that he called Ron and Julie on the stupidity of the fake idol play. Ron could hae defended it saying “I was hoping that you would feel comfortable and not go look for an idol so we coud vote you off.” That would have been legit game play but Ron was at Angelina level of “I want to look like I am brilliant and ticked you” stupidity. 

So I was thrilled when Rick pulled out the other idol. Not because I want to see Rick win, but because I love it when the idiots who see themselves as puppetmasters get played. And I loved watching Ron’s face fall. 

And I really don’t like Ron and Julie when they think they are in control, they are insifferable. Almost Brad Culpepper levels of insufferable. Smug, self satisfied, asses. And equally unable to function as Brad when they are not in power. So I lloved the look on Julie’s face, she who has done nothing, when Rick pulled out the real idol. Seriously, Julie was all sanctamonious about not voting Rick out when he came back, completly feel apart when she was blindsided the first time, and has been riding Ron’s coattails ever since. Does she really think that she has had a say in anything that is happening?

That said, I don’t want Rick to win. He is playing an ok game. He has been lied to how many times? At least this time he saw it coming and was able to work around it. And he was able to out Ron and Julie as being a special type of idiot. But he is a smug, self satisfied twerp as well. He makes me think of Mike from the awful season with Dan and Will. Rick was fine when he was in the drivers seat on Manu but when he feel into the minority, he just became a different something. I don’t know how to describe it. He is getting by on idols and immunity wins and a bit of luck. He is wittier then Mike but something about his game play is so self satisfied and hyped that it is just annoying.

Lauren is there an I think playing but still not impressing me. Gavin is kind of the same. 

I love Aurora and her “whatever” approach to the game. SHe doesn’t care that she was caught looking in Rick’s bag. Rick knows he is on the outs and she is happy to try and figure out what he might have hidden. I also like that it took her 5 seonds to realize the advantage Ron and given Rick was bogus. I’ll take her style of play any day. She does well in challenges, knows it is a game, and is scrappy.

Victoria is playing an under the radar game. She has some big moves to her name, Aubry, and I suspect is behind more then what we have seen. Victoria is not the cold player that Aurora is or the attention seeker that Rick is. She is there, listening and making moves.No where near Sandra in her game play, althugh under the radar, and far less dickish then Mike last year. 

So I’ll take a Vicotria or Aurora win. Rick would be ok. Reem is still my coice to win it all, but I doubt she makes it back in.

I could see a Final 3 of Victoria, Aurora & Lauren. A Reem win would sum up this whole season. Crazy!!!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

It was only stupid because he had the fresh HII.  He seemed to think Ron's gift was real, until it wasn't, pulled the new idol, then went on a gloating spree.

It was stupid without the real idol. Eliza played the fucking stick, knowing it wasn’t real because who knows. And Alison played Angelina’s fake idol last year for the same reason. You play the bogus idol just in case you are wrong. 

Ron’s fake did not stop Rick from looking for the real idol. Ron’s play did not cause Rick to change a damn thing in how he played. Rick made it clear in talking heads, conversations with Ron, and at Tribal that Ron has been lying to him and that the only reason he was working with Ron was because Ron was talking to him. That is it.

All Ron’s fake idol play did accomplished is to try and set Rick up and make Rick look stupid. If Rick had not had the real idol, Ron would have looked like an ass to the jury, rubbing salt into a wound. Rick’s call on that was perfect. Ron wanted Rick to look like a fool when there was no reason, Rick was going home.

I thought Rick’s vote was perfect. Rick can say he voted the way he romised, even when the people he promised where untrustworthy. Aurora is not going to be offended, Aurora gets that it is a game. 

So all Ron accomplished, and Julie by proxy, is to look like someone who thought he was being clever and really being an asshole. And he managed to get homself voted out.

I do wonder how Aurora is going to feel about Gavin using the extra vote to vote for Ron. 

• Love 22

Repetitive thoughts on episode 12 "MoRon"

• "I haven't heard my name" is Survivor speak for "I'm about to get blindsided"
  • "I'm running this game" is Survivor speak for "I'm about to get blindsided"
  • "I'm going to win over someone I've betrayed multiple times with a cute ploy" is Survivor speak for "I'm about to get blindsided."

Also, Badass Aurora is still cool, and Victoria is still going to win this game.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
(edited)

Can't believe.Rick was able  to climb that tree with everyone sleeping. I was sure either he or the idol would fall right into the shelter.

Glad Gavin was able to see past the manipulation of Ron and use Aurora's extra vote. Was concerned that it could end up being used against her and would be the reason she was voted out herself. 

But "mastermind" Ron is finally out- well, at least banished the Eternal Edge of Extinction. 

Edited by knitorpurl
Spelling
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I do wonder how Aurora is going to feel about Gavin using the extra vote to vote for Ron. 

She was in on the plan with Lauren and Victoria to vote out Ron and that's when she offered it up since this was the last tribal it could be used. So he used it as she intended.

• Love 6

Something weird was going on with the broadcast because the first 10 mins or so had no dialogue track. I heard music but no words. So I thought Ron actually gave Rick an advantage and didn’t know why he then wanted to vote him out!

At least because it was the family visits I was able to scan through that whole challenge and after that the audio corrected itself, and I didn’t miss anything of real interest. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, knitorpurl said:

Can't believe.Rick was able  to climb that tree with everyone sleeping. I was sure either he or she idol would fall right into the shelter.

Glad Gavin was able to see past the manipulation of Ron and use Aurora's extra vote. Was concerned that it could end up being used against her and would be the reason she was voted out herself. 

But "mastermind" Ron is finally out- well, at least banished the Eternal Edge of Extinction. 

Yeah, when they were talking about the family visit at TC, and Gavin said he hoped no one held it against him for being picked, I was kind of nervous for Aurora.  That was almost like saying 'I'm screwing you over because this guy helped me out today.'  Gavin is an interesting one.  He's like Victoria, in that I never really know where their head is at or what they are doing.  We saw Victoria say after the RC in a TH about not trusting Ron or having the relationship she thought they had; then it wasn't mentioned again about voting Ron off until after the IC.  I was still nervous everyone would just play it safe and split between Aurora and Rick, and let Ron deal with the aftermath next week.

The way Ron was edited this episode (telling his husband that he was in charge, had Julie in his pocket, was manipulating and lying) I couldn't believe he was going to survive.  If he squeaked through after all that bragging and trying to trick Rick, they were clearly setting him up as a final 3 goat.

Dare I say I missed Wardog tonight and how he would have messed up the challenges.  My guess is during the RC he would have somehow kept throwing the bucket of water on himself instead of to his loved one.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

One thing we can all agree on....Lloyd is hot! 

I always tear up during these darn family visits, though I still do not understand the level of hysterics. 

I’m rooting for Devens all the way. Both Aurora and Lauren rub me the wrong way. Julie deserves nothing. I’m sort of neutral on Gavin and Victoria.

I find myself looking forward to Reem’s welcome!

• Love 12