Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: The Last of the Starks

Message added by Meredith Quill

ADVISORY

If you disagree with another poster, do it civilly, or risk moderation measures. 

• Start Topic

Well, this episode was a downer:

• Arya is back to being a soulless assassin. How bleak.
  • Drogon loses another sibling.
  • Jon sends Ghost away.
  • Jaime breaks Brienne's heart and leaves for KL, presumably to die with Cersei.
  • Euron is alive.
  • Tyrion grovelling and begging before Cersei- "I know you're not a monster" wtf?? I can't...
  • Poor, sweet Missandei will never see Naath again.
  • Daenerys is both mad and mad.

I guess it is all just misery in the end.

• Love 7

I mean I gotta sit through two more episodes of Cersi smirking? They should’ve turned her all mad queen by now and slowly losing her mind after the death of her kids. With her appearance all ragged and so on. Would’ve been so much more interesting than just watching her damn smirk followed by drinking wine. 

• Love 23
1 minute ago, Lillith said:

Sansa merely said she's have to confer with the military commanders. Who of course are the experts. I think Dany and Sansa have such antipathy they can't have a reasonable conversation. They both feel antagonistic and there is zero trust between them. 

I agree. They loathe each other so much they're going to be antagonistic even when one of them is making reasonable requests. 

• Love 17
Just now, Lillith said:

Sansa merely said she's have to confer with the military commanders. Who of course are the experts. I think Dany and Sansa have such antipathy they can't have a reasonable conversation. They both feel antagonistic and there is zero trust between them. 

They can't communicate without feeling paranoid about the other one's intentions.  So even if one says or does something reasonable the other still feels suspicious.  They are at an impasse.  I don't know what it will take to make them see each other as allies instead of potential enemies.  Maybe they can never be allies.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ShellsandCheese said:

So who set Dany up? How did Euron know exactly when they’d be headed back to Dragonstone? 

Also, tonight’s episode totally proved that Dany is smart - she knew exactly what would happen when Jon told the Starks about his heritage. Dany deserves better, but strong women must be broken. 

Edited by seawind
because I'm dumb :)
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

They weren't going to Kings Landing, they were going to Dragonstone. Euron somehow knew that and was waiting for them. 

Oh thanks. I missed that. My signal kept blipping out so I missed parts. That explains why they weren't prepared for it.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Leroux said:

Why would the Starks have to live a lie just so Daenerys can claim the throne?  Why does Daenerys wish for the throne are more important that Jon's family? Jon doesn't even want the throne but this doesn't mean that he has to live the rest of his life pretending to be a bastard just so Daenerys gets the throne. If Daenerys really loves Jon she would never ask this of him. 

It is easy really, Daenerys lets the whole kingdom know that Jon is the rightful heir and they are getting married and ruling together. Jon rules the North and she rules the South. t would make everybody happy. She wants that throne more than she wants Jon, She is asking him to lie and deny his identity just so she can seat in that damned throne.  

Because Jon doesn’t want to rule anything! And Dany was right, once word got out, he wouldn’t have a choice and he was betrayed by his own sister because she’s got a bad case of PTSD and she herself is trying to get power because she thinks it will protect her from the harsh realities of the time period in which she lives in. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, seawind said:

I am so profoundly disappointed in the show, I can't even process what I'm feeling right now. Everything that happened the second after Dany flew the dragons DIRECTLY OVER KING'S LANDING IN BROAD DAYLIGHT WHEN THEY KNOW THAT CERSEI HAS WEAPONS THAT FUCKING KILL DRAGONS and everything that happened AFTER THEY SAILED RIGHT UP TO KING'S LANDING IN BROAD DAYLIGHT was a complete waste. There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL, NOT IN ANY UNIVERSE, that that would have been something that Dany or Tyrion or any of them would have done. This was just the show forcing things in order to kill another dragon and then Missandei, two more things Dany loves, so that we could get the "mad queen Dany." I can't even be sad about Rhaegal and Missandei, because THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE DIED BECAUSE THE WAY THEY CAME UPON THE CAPITAL WAS ASININE.

Show, you did something far, far worse than anything you may have done in The Long Night. You broke my heart. 😞

She was on her way to Dragonstone and not near KL. 

• Love 1

I think Sansa should rule. I don't like Dany or Jon as a good fit.

What is Tyrion fighting for? Does he have a goal in mind?

Brienne is the big loser in all this. I respect Jaimie's decision, but damn.

• Love 7

This episode started so good for me, then it turned into a mess.  Jon's speech adn the honoring of the dead, was so well done. Then it was a disjointed mess for me.

I thought Sansa made sense about letting the men/army rest. I couldn't tell if Dany was against it just because she hates Sansa or she doesn't care and wants her Throne asap.

Got g***** on Arya's and Sansa's reaction to Jon, which sucked. But I was grateful there was a scene of the four of them because I don't think they'll see each other again. 

Sad Arya was leaving already. Disappointed Sansa told already. Though I did enjoy her telling Jamie she wishes she could have been there when they murdered Cersei 😄.

I think the best parts were the Hound with Sansa and Arya. A long and just ok episode.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, seawind said:

How did he know? EVERYONE knew because the show decided it would be a marvelous idea to have Dany just show up in broad daylight and fly her dragons right by the Red Keep. She might as well have flown a huge fucking banner that said "I'M RIGHT HERE CERSEI" in huge letters. AUGHHHHH I'm so upset.

They were ambushed at Dragonstone.

• Love 3

I feel for Dany.  She has no family; particularly without Jorah and Missandei. I do not understand Sansa’s reasoning for being so opposed to Dany.  Dany has done nothing to Sansa.

On the flip side; while Danny is right to want revenge against Cersei...she shouldn’t discount the feelings of the Starks.  Christ, the Lannisters killed their father, mother, brother, etc...  

I have a sense that Jon is not going to die, but instead will head north at the end of this story.  It was nice to see Jon actually happy for a few scenes for once.

Jaime is not returning to Cersei for love.  He knows she wanted Bronn to off him.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, seawind said:

How did he know? EVERYONE knew because the show decided it would be a marvelous idea to have Dany just show up in broad daylight and fly her dragons right by the Red Keep. She might as well have flown a huge fucking banner that said "I'M RIGHT HERE CERSEI" in huge letters. AUGHHHHH I'm so upset.

They were flying for dragonstone. Not kings landing 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Dany HAS TO torch Kings Landing. Collateral be damned. I am that pissed

The blood of every life lost is on Cercei and Cercei alone. I dare anyone who says otherwise 

I doubt the cobbler or the baker who's children get burned alive by Drogon will be blaming cersei... At this point it seems she's actively trying to get Dany to destroy half the city

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, seawind said:

That wasnt the Red Keep

7 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

Dany  and Cersei acting just like I knew they would. Neither one deserves the throne

Cersei willingly puts the innocent in front of her as shields and Dany knowingly kills them to get to her. Both believe they are justified for the throne. 

I know some people hate it, but I love that the two forces are woman. I love that a third one is pulling strings behind their back. I love that another is headed to KL to use her skills.

I like that they acknowledged that Jon has an advantage cause he has a dick. That’s some stupid truth. Jon is so passive. All that ‘yes Queen’ is annoying. I feel like he lost all his personality with his brain. Throwing the man into another battle right after Winterfell? Sansa is right, they should have rested and regrouped.

Dany: Promise me you won’t tell! Jon: YES QUEEN.

Jon: Tells

Jon: Promise me you won’t tell! Sansa: Fine.

Sansa: HEY TRYION 

I laughed.

I wanted Missandei and Grey Worm to have a happy ending. They deserved to retire to the beach.

• LOL 3
  • Love 18
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Does Euron really think Cersei’s baby is his?  If so, he’s too dumb to live.

Unless someone does a Maury Povich in King's Landing and exposes the truth for everyone, I don't think Euron cares either way.  He may profess his love for Cersei, but i'm sure he's in it for himself, first, last and always.  R.I.P. Missandei.  When she and Grey Worm were talking about their post-Dany plans, that was pretty much a bullseye for one of them.  I'd be perfectly happy for Grey Worm to be the one to take out Cersei (and I don't mean on a date either) if Jamie isn't able to do it.

And Sansa still has a stick up her butt regarding Dany who just lost a good portion of her army and one of her dragons defending Winterfell.  She doesn't have to be happy about where the help came from but one would think she'd be leeeetle bit more trusting if not 100% on board with Dany as queen.  Unless she rather have Cersei instead.

Edited by AD35
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

Arya and the Hound, back on the road again? I'm here for it. 

Big thumbs up for the Hound finally getting a horse that matches his size.  Big upgrade.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well can we all agree on one thing - that Dany's battle plan against Cersei was shit?

I thought so too, but I didn't see the part where Dany was on the way to Dragonstone where they were ambushed. That explains a lot. There's a mole somewhere!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well can we all agree on one thing - that Dany's battle plan against Cersei was shit?

For the last time, she wasn’t headed to take on Cersei. She was headed to Dragonstone and Euron ambushed her. It wasn’t a shit plan because there was no plan. She was headed “home” not to attack Cersei or King’s Landing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
33 minutes ago, SallyAlbright said:

I never thought I'd be so disappointed by this show. The descent into cartoonish "Mad Queen" territory for Daenerys does not really feel earned, nor do I buy into the idea that Jon wouldn't want revenge under the same circumstances. This idea that she is too strong for him to rule together but that somehow makes him the better leader seems a little confusing and the whole thing reeks of "Telling" not "Showing" for me. 

So sad for Brienne. Devastated over Missandei - Nathalie Emmanuel managed to make her into such a beloved character with relatively little screentime over the years. I really look forward to seeing her in other projects. 

Maybe the only happy thing tonight - GHOST LIVES!

Agreed. If there is one thing Team Stark excels at, it's Pyrrhic vengeance. 

And how did *no one* notice or inform the approaching army that there were an awful lot of anti-dragon crossbow things surrounding home base? The (lack of) military strategy in this season makes literally no sense.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, AttackTurtle said:

I feel for Dany.  She has no family; particularly without Jorah and Missandei. I do not understand Sansa’s reasoning for being so opposed to Dany.  Dany has done nothing to Sansa.

Dany is completely off-balance.   She wants the throne and has always been the better of the two choices when she’s conquered new territory. She can’t claim that Jon’s a horrible person/leader, when he’s been shown to be just the opposite.  Just set your pride aside and rule together.

On the flip side; while Danny is right to want revenge against Cersei...she shouldn’t discount the feelings of the Starks.  Christ, the Lannisters killed their father, mother, brother, etc...  

I have a sense that Jon is not going to die, but instead will head north at the end of this story.  It was nice to see Jon actually happy for a few scenes for once.

Jaime is not returning to Cersei for love.  He knows she wanted Bronn to off him.

23 minutes ago, kellog010 said:

Dany being judged and convicted anyway might as well fuck shit up. Jon has a penis so he should rule is bullshit. 

I thought Varys was totally wrong and was even wrong about the reason Jon had the better claim.  He has the better claim because his father was born before Daenrys' father, not because he has a cock.

It was also nonsense that Jon couldn't just turn down the throne.

I suspect Varys wants Jon on the throne because he would be easier to control than Dany.  Hopefully Melisandre's prophecy about him dying in Westeros will happen soon.  He broke his vow to Dany not to scheme behind her back.  

• Love 10

The worst part?  That they made the last words between Greyworm and Missandei him YELLING at her!  I can't believe they could not give them one last on screen conversation.  How fitting that it was Jon who stood over Lyanna's body at the beginning...she went down fighting for the King of the North.   

• Love 6

Oooooh I'm so stressed about where this is going.

I'm on team It's Boring if Either Dany or Jon Ends Up On The Iron Throne, so I'm theoretically in favour of plot twists that set up obstacles for them, but I'm not loving this thing where all the guys pat Jon on the back and tell him what a badass he is for doing the exact same thing Dany already did, or the thing where her own advisors are talking about how he's a better choice for the throne because he's a dude and other dudes will like that. I get that that's on purpose, but I don't know where this plot thread is going yet.

I'm also worried because it's starting to look like Dany nuked her own invasion plan by falling in love with a guy.

I think maybe we're on a path where Dany murders Jon and then someone else murders Dany -- hell, maybe we're on a path where everyone kills everyone and that's the end. At this point, I would be more okay with either of those options than with her just shooting herself in the foot while all the dudes ignore her and make another dude their leader.

• Love 4

Ok here's my weekly "rag on Kit Harington's acting" rant: the show is now severely imbalanced in that the Starks, Tyrion, and Varys think that Jon is the better ruler. And on paper he is. He has more experience with battle, he's more deliberate, less impatient than Dany.

However damn if he wasn't also the character I cared the least about in this episode. I cared more about Ghost a CGI direwolf than about Jon. And I really think it's Harington's acting. He can't bring us into Jon's inner life, the way almost every other actor can. I mean even Lena Headley who plays the most one-dimensional villain in the show's history ... you can see in her face her feelings, you know what she's thinking, and you want her to die.

Jon just doesn't arouse (for me) this kind of passion so the fact that there's an army of people who want to overthrow Dany for Jon is off.

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, duddley said:

I think Jamie was saying that yes, he could've been a good man if it wasn't for Cersie. But she ruined him and now, he had to ruin her. Maybe as an attempt to make amends or maybe to just get the monkey off his back.

Jaime has said it a million times, Cersei is the ONLY woman he will ever love. 

• Love 1
Just now, Bryce Lynch said:

I thought Varys was totally wrong and was even wrong about the reason Jon had the better claim.  He has the better claim because his father was born before Daenrys' father, not because he has a cock.

Well, maybe when someone cuts off your cock you tend to um, inflate its importance 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Smad said:

GET MARRIED ALREADY.

asdfghjklkjhgfds

Well, maybe if Dany actually mentioned that to Jon, or if she seemed amenable to co-ruling. But it seems her desire for the throne doesn't work that way. 

It wasn't right for Sansa to run to Tyrion and tell him, but then...it wasn't right for Dany to ask Jon to shut up about his parents. Also she's OK with everyone thinking Rhaegar was a rapist as long as she's on the throne. Fantastic.

Everything about Jon's parental reveal has been monumentally fucked up. From the way we found out to the way he found out to the way Sansa and Arya found out. We didn't even get their reactions! 

I was quite emotional when Rhaegal died. I do enjoy the dragons; they are a spectacular sight in 4K ultra HD.

I was spoiled for Missandei and still her death was really fucking brutal. I only wish Dany and Missandei had had more interaction before Missandei's refrigeration. 

• Love 12

Dany and her remaining unsullied looked so pathetic standing on that huge plain.  And those shiny new anti-dragon over-sized cross-bows were the icing on the cake making that stand-off look really pathetic.  Why did they go so quickly to Kings Landing and demand surrender when they clearly didn't have the troops to win a fight?  Why didn't they hunker down on Dragonstone until Jon arrived with the troops that were coming by land?  That, to my mind, is the biggest flaw in the episode.  Dany's demand that Cersie surrender -- under those circumstances -- was absurd.  

How did Dany even get to Kings Landing?  It looked like most of her ships were destroyed. 

And why did Euron sail back to Kings Landing after the battle at Dragonstone?  Why didn't he destroy the rest of her fleet?  I guess he and Cersie wanted Dany to be able to sail to Kings Landing with whatever was left of a her rag-tag fleet.

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, seawind said:

I am so profoundly disappointed in the show, I can't even process what I'm feeling right now. Everything that happened the second after Dany flew the dragons DIRECTLY OVER KING'S LANDING IN BROAD DAYLIGHT WHEN THEY KNOW THAT CERSEI HAS WEAPONS THAT FUCKING KILL DRAGONS and everything that happened AFTER THEY SAILED RIGHT UP TO KING'S LANDING IN BROAD DAYLIGHT was a complete waste. There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL, NOT IN ANY UNIVERSE, that that would have been something that Dany or Tyrion or any of them would have done. This was just the show forcing things in order to kill another dragon and then Missandei, two more things Dany loves, so that we could get the "mad queen Dany." I can't even be sad about Rhaegal and Missandei, because THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE DIED BECAUSE THE WAY THEY CAME UPON THE CAPITAL WAS ASININE.

Show, you did something far, far worse than anything you may have done in The Long Night. You broke my heart. 😞

They didn't do any of that because that wasn't King's Landing. That was Dragonstone.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Leroux said:

Euron, I know you are stupid but please do some simple math. 

He had to know that there is no way this baby is his.

He has to know that there is no way Tyrion has heard about it already.  

I was thinking the same thing.  They needed a Euron reaction shot to Tyrion's comment, lol.

14 minutes ago, seawind said:

Oh yeah, WHAT THE FUCK WITH GHOST, SHOW??? I could accept you sending Ghost north, but he whimpers at Jon and you have Jon just frown at him? What in the ever-loving fuck was that? And you mean to tell me that everybody at Winterfell had time to clean up that absolute mountain of bodies in front of the castle and make all these perfectly neat funeral pyres, but nobody had 5 fucking seconds to wash the blood off of Ghost?

The hell with you.

Jon is a horrible dog owner! Shame on him! He didn't deserve Ghost!

• Love 8

Very quick comment right now.

Am I going crazy? Why does Dany and everyone act like her helping against the NK is some favor? If she wants people to bow, she needs to protect them.

• Love 24
1 minute ago, kieyra said:

1) I desperately wanted Missandei to grab Cersei and kamikaze them both off the ledge once she knew she was dead.

For a moment, I thought that was going to be the direction they were going to go in.

• Love 10