Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: The Last of the Starks

Message added by Meredith Quill

ADVISORY

If you disagree with another poster, do it civilly, or risk moderation measures. 

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Is it me or is the Golden Company shithead like the dollar-store version of S1 Jaime?

Game_of_Thrones_The_Golden_Company_Harry

No, it isn't just you, my wife made the same observation when we first met him in the premier. She called him Jaime's not as hot cousin. And the Golden Company is a huge problem for the story right now. Only two episodes to figure out what to do with them. Don't let the idea of the Second Sons somehow swooping in DEus ex Daario style go either. 

As far as the fleet popping up so fast is concerned, couldn't they be spoken into existence through the power of Iron Dickbreath??? Fuck that character is an asshole. He has come to symbolize everything that's gone pear shaped as far as this show's greatness goes.  

34 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I'm sure they could find the wood elsewhere.  But the speed at which he built his fleet, presumably without much in the way of wealth to buy materials and pay for labor was absurd.  Where would they even have enough dry docks to build so many ships so quickly, even if they had the materials and labor.

His fleet being built was more magical than that Dany birthing those dragons.  

What we've seen of the Iron Islands, Pike in particular, it looks like there was enough wood there to build like three canoes. But I think they only took SOME of his ships, not all of them, right? I forget, since I literally can't stand anything to do with the Iron Islands in either the show or the books. Grey and damp like a just shit fucking turd (tm Al Swearengen talking about EB's hands). 

• Love 4
On 5/9/2019 at 12:55 AM, Detective005 said:

Well, but I discovered the opposite, the dragons appear extremely weak. Moreover Daenerys becomes totally stupid from one season to another, also her entourage. She was ‎Sun Tzu first, now a crazy woman.

Oswald was a very mysterious and crazy guy and there was also an international conspiracy. But the most important difference is that JFK was just a man ...

Euron seems to me that only a rude man and if my hypothesis becomes true, he will soon die in the next episode

So any home sapiens on these earth would think that the dragons need some kind of protection

This is the point! For me, you see, all dragons could die but for logical reasons. The authors have violated all the physical laws, Newton has never existed only because they want to rebalance the forces in the field

8ovpghqd3mw21.png

That's what irritated me about this - for the writers to make Dany suddenly so incompetent. This is the woman who has conquered nations! To make her forgetting one of the greatest threats to her army is laughable and insulting to us viewers. Also, made her flying Drogon straight to the fleet after Rhaegal was down? Seriously? And they couldn't see the fleet while flying high up in the sky? So many things upset me about the whole thing. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
Just now, JunebugWA said:

8ovpghqd3mw21.png

I would prefer if the dragons dropped fully-grown elephants onto KL from high altitudes... because the Queen does have a keen sense of Poetic Justice.   

"Swear this to me, Varys.  If you ever think I'm failing the people, you won't conspire behind my back.  You'll look me in the eyes as you've done today and tell me how I'm failing them."
"I swear it, My Queen."
"And I swear this:  If you ever betray me, I'll burn you alive."
*cut to Tyrion looking like "O shit bro she will hold u to that.. lol u crazy boi"*

Varys is so fucked. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I just wonder why, if they want her dead, they haven't killed her already.  I'm not 100%, sure, but I lean towards thinking she is OK with the Faceless Men.  

My thought is either Jaqen had special plans for her or she paid her debt to the Red God by providing the Waif's face, in place of her own.  

I don't think Jaquen was sending anyone after her once she'd killed the other girl.  He gave her that odd nodding smile as she left like he was pleased.  

I think her arc is supposed to be the steps the Lord of Light/Many Faced God took to bring her from scared child to trained killer who would take out the Night King.   In that arc, Jaquen played his part, as did Syrio and others.

• Love 8
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I would prefer if the dragons dropped fully-grown elephants onto KL from high altitudes... because the Queen does have a keen sense of Poetic Justice.   

"Swear this to me, Varys.  If you ever think I'm failing the people, you won't conspire behind my back.  You'll look me in the eyes as you've done today and tell me how I'm failing them."
"I swear it, My Queen."
"And I swear this:  If you ever betray me, I'll burn you alive."
*cut to Tyrion looking like "O shit bro she will hold u to that.. lol u crazy boi"*

Varys is so fucked. 

She should have fed him to Drogon right then.   I hope we see Dany keep her oath in episode 5.  

My list of characters in order of how badly I want to see them killed:

1) Sansa Lannister-Bolton

2) Varys

3) Cersei

4) The Mountain

5) Urine Greyjoy

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Efzee said:

I was so thinking this during the scene. Who goes into a meeting unprepared? Sansa is there with Dany and commanders of the armies, yet she thinks she's the one who knows what's best for their armies. It would have been very different if she'd said, "actually, I talked to the maesters and if we wait a few more weeks then even the severly wounded can rejoin you to march on KL, your Grace."

3 hours ago, Efzee said:

Sansa was out of line (and not really needed, anyway) during the war meeting or whatever it's called. It was not her place to state the soldiers needed rest when she was in a room with those soldiers' commanders and the queen. And then to be all "uh, I don't know, lemme ask" when Dany questioned her rubbed me the wrong way. You don't go into a meeting unprepared.

Also, Dany has been doing this (fighting wars/conquering) for quite some time now and I think she may just have a tad more insight into her men's fitness than Sansa. Not to mention that Dany's men are Dothraki and Unsullied, both pretty much born and bred to fight. They can handle a walk south, especially if half of it is traveling by sailboat. Jon was there to speak for the northerners and he clearly had no objection to leaving again. Might be best to get them all to keep moving/fighting before they settle back into their old routines and will refuse to go to war again a few months on.

This meeting scene is taking on a life of its own that has everything to do with discussions outside the show and little to do with what was going on in the scene. 

Nobody was coming to the meeting any more or less prepared than anybody else. They're all just talking about the situation as of now, with no plans yet. There is not yet any plan to march or fight anywhere. Jon and Dany's responses to Sansa saying the soldiers needed to rest had nothing to do with either's experience with battle recovery. Assuming that they're also having a conversation about battle readiness where Jon and Dany know better is contradicting the scene.

The idea that a big battle leaves people at a disadvantage in battle, especially against a fresh army, is brought up like 3 times in the ep and only one of them is coming from Sansa. It's just a given--if this is a world where the best way to rest up after an intense battle like that one is to just start walking 10 miles a day so you don't get too settled into a routine, it's far more of a fantasy than one with magic and dragons. It's a giant red flag both that the only person to care about it is the civilian and that she'd be required to have gone in there prepared with receipts to fight over it. Because we're *not* talking about Sansa and Dany disagreeing over how much time the soldiers need. Jon and Dany are saying it's wrong to consider their recovery at all because a) the North owes Dany a battle whenever she wants it and b) the enemy allegedly grows stronger the longer they wait.

• Love 15

I always thought Dany's story would end up not her being the Mad Queen but being all, eeh you know what I don't think this place is that great after all, I'm gonna go back.

Suppose that would be a tad anti-climactic though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I've watched the Tyrion and Varys scene a few more times, and:

It seemed clear to me that when Tyrion asked Varys , "So what happens to her? Varys' look means, "We or I have Dany killed." 

Then Tyrion raises his eyebrows and shakes his head gently several times and says, "Please".  He then pauses and says in a much more intense tone, "Don't!"   Varys looks a bit startled by Tyrion's tone and look.   He sort of went from begging to warning, from one word to the next.

I get the feeling that Tyrion is not going to betray Dany, and the rest of Varys' body will end up like his balls did many years earlier.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I always thought Dany's story would end up not her being the Mad Queen but being all, eeh you know what I don't think this place is that great after all, I'm gonna go back.

Suppose that would be a tad anti-climactic though.

I've wondered along similar lines....whether one day she would question if her destiny was to sit on the IT in Westeros because her ancestors conquered it or whether her destiny was to be the Breaker of Chains in Essos where her ancestors originated

She had everything she wanted, respect as a Queen and the love of her  freed people, in Mereen (once they started working the kinks out).  She could save the world from permanent winter and Break the Wheel in Westeros, and then fly back to Mereen where maybe Daario has built her a house with a red door.  If she goes back now after ridding Essos of the raping and pillaging Dothraki, she might be even more welcome.  I imagine villagers everywhere were thrilled to be free of them.  If this were a different show, Dany just might melt the IT and go home.

• Love 8
(edited)
17 hours ago, Andromeda said:

My inner id feels the same way. I'm trying to stuff it down, just so don't feel as bad.

On the bolded part, I just watched the Troy show on Netflix, and at the end, the Greeks (Spartans) got inside the gates of Troy and murdered virtually every man, woman and child. Everyone knew this would happen if the city fell. And ancient Greece was more advanced than Westeros in many ways.

And the Greek leaders had to pay for that and face the wrath of the Gods because it was a major sin. Very few of them returned back home and even they were broken. Greeks knew how to write tragedies lol. Sorry for the late replay but, as I'm half-Greek myself I had to answer.

Edited by Bianca Castafiore
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bianca Castafiore said:

And the Greek leaders had to pay for that and face the wrath of the Gods because it was a major sin. Very few of them returned back home and even they were broken. Greeks knew how to write tragedies lol. Sorry for the late replay but, as I'm half-Greek myself I had to answer.

I love the ancient Greeks. Agamemnon deserved what he got. Odysseus less so.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I love the ancient Greeks. Agamemnon deserved what he got. Odysseus less so.

Achilles: FFS!!!...Which mofo just shot me in the foot???? ...What are the odds....Like someone told him where my weak spot is...Aarrrgggghhh.....

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, JunebugWA said:

That's what irritated me about this - for the writers to make Dany suddenly so incompetent. This is the woman who has conquered nations! To make her forgetting one of the greatest threats to her army is laughable and insulting to us viewers. Also, made her flying Drogon straight to the fleet after Rhaegal was down? Seriously? And they couldn't see the fleet while flying high up in the sky? So many things upset me about the whole thing. 

Also anybody who knows anything about warfare knows that aircrafts aka dragons are the kryptonite to boats. WTF show runners?

• Love 1

I don't expect anyone to read this, not when there's another situation headed our way tomorrow.  But it will feel real good to let my emotions out.

I am literally depressed about this season.  I also believe that I need to put those deeply held feelings in perspective.  I just can't, not yet.

I would really appreciate watching the best three hours of television ever made, over the next two weeks.

Gods be good, dammit.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, zobot81 said:

I don't expect anyone to read this, not when there's another situation headed our way tomorrow.  But it will feel real good to let my emotions out.

I am literally depressed about this season.  I also believe that I need to put those deeply held feelings in perspective.  I just can't, not yet.

I would really appreciate watching the best three hours of television ever made, over the next two weeks.

Gods be good, dammit.

I feel the same way, although I did enjoy the first three episodes. But this past one was so terrible...I am radically readjusting my expectations for tomorrow and next week. Liquor will help.

Edited by CeeBeeGee
typo
  • Love 3

On 5/7/2019 at 8:58 AM, GodsBeloved said:

Make that six people LOL

I have nothing constructive to add to this thread other than that I am the seventh person to watch (and love!) Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles. I adored it so much I made my SO watch it this year, so count him as number eight. 

Speaking of, where is Lena Headey's emmy?

• Love 2

Arya picked up two new skills from the Faceless Men: how to fight in the dark and how to be someone else. She used the first to kill the NK and will use the second to kill Cercei. My prediction is the face she will be wearing is Jaime's.

I binge rewatched the show recently and was reminded that for the first few seasons the Daenerys scenes were my favorites, but I have grown to just hate her guts. She's such a fricken narcissist.  As in the actual DSM definition, with her grandiosity, sense of entitlement, lust for power, and need for admiration, etc. I'm so sick of her "helping" fight "Jon's war." No Dany, it's mankind's war and you are the self proclaimed queen so it's YOUR war and you are obligated to fight it. It's like when a husband "helps" with the housework or "babysits" his own kid. Wrong wrong wrong no. To those who like to point out that Jon didn't bend the knee until after she offered to "help," keep in mind this was after months of her harassing him about it and keeping him a virtual prisoner. And then she makes no effort whatsoever to understand the local culture? No, she just assumes that everyone will love her and then pouts like a toddler when they don't. The way she tried to manipulate Jon into living a lie for the rest of his life was the last straw for me. I hope her dragon turns on her.

I was very disappointed in Missandei. My death is bad so lets kill lots of innocent people? Psycho.

Varys is toast. Burnt toast. Too bad because he is one of the most interesting characters on this show.

Also, I loved TSCC when it was on but never once made the Lena Headley connection, LOL.

• Love 7

Just a general comment on GOT:

I think we are now paralleling the beginning: we had a full season of human machinations before we had our first glimpse of a white walker, hinting that something else was going on behind the scenes. Now we have the white walkers taken care of, but the human problems and difficulties remain, waiting to be solved (if ever?). 

We do know that it will end up as GRRM wanted it to, even if it's not by the same path.

Has Cercei now repeated Joffrey's mistake with Ned Stark by executing Missandei? ("He'd have made a good hostage".)

Is the Stark family going to be wiped out? Bran is the last male, but I don't know if he can "function" - though I have heard of paralyzed men fathering children. I can't remember - have we ever seen Bran use his arms, or is he a quadriplegic? If Sansa does marry, her children will not carry the Stark name, unless they start the custom of hyphenating. Same goes for Arya, if she survives (she might fall in love with someone in the future, though I don't think it will be the traditional arrangement). I do think she expects to die while trying (or succeeding) in killing Cercei. And Jon's family name is Targaryan - unless he hyphenates!

Our local newspaper came up with a list of possible endings for GOT, and the last item on the list was: None of the Above - I chose that one. Westeros will be totally changed by whatever happens.

Is my memory faulty, or did the prophecy about Daenarys (from the witch) include something about her only bearing a living child when such and such happens? And will that happen?

Just my thoughts. I will miss the place, though I don't think I'd want to live there!

Also, I wish Tyrion would get a dragon; I remember how he said he'd cried for one when he was a little boy.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tyro49 said:

I can't remember - have we ever seen Bran use his arms, or is he a quadriplegic?

We've definitely seen him use his hands.

If Sansa did marry and have a child she might just say her husband had to take her name. It's not unheard of and it wouldn't be OOC for Sansa to make that a condition of marriage at this point.

• Love 3
On 5/6/2019 at 12:32 PM, Constantinople said:

What makes it worse is that Varys was one of those who said Ned was too honorable to be a good Hand

Remember when Vary sand Tyrion were chatting in the episode before the Battle of Blackwater?

Now Varys wants Ned Stark II: Electric Boogaloo on the throne?

The job of the Hand is much different than the job of the king.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

We've definitely seen him use his hands.

If Sansa did marry and have a child she might just say her husband had to take her name. It's not unheard of and it wouldn't be OOC for Sansa to make that a condition of marriage at this point.

I think they just swaddle Bran, like a newborn.

Sandor Clegane wouldn't mind giving up his last name for the Little Bird, given his hatred of others who possess it.  And he could even keep his wolfy dog helmet.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Law Mom said:

Daenerys scenes

Her eyebrows have had a subplot of their own.  I've always hated dark haired actresses who become blonds with dark eyebrows, and Daenery's were Black.  Now we've seen promo pictures of RL Dany, and her brown eyebrows are so much better. Could she be losing her power ?

The town of Flea Bottom: could it be the home of the next two important men of the land?   It has such a great sound, it could be compressed to Fl'ottam.  And if one has a sense of irony, Flea Bottom calls out to be the home of someone important.

• Love 3

If I were Cersei, after what she did to Missandei,, then she should pray that Drogon gets to her before Greyworm. At least with Dtogon death would be quick. As far as I'm concerned, if Cersei doesn't care enough about her own people to save them,then she's got blood on her hands too.

You know nothing, Jaime Lannister.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Tyro49 said:

Just a general comment on GOT:

I think we are now paralleling the beginning: we had a full season of human machinations before we had our first glimpse of a white walker, hinting that something else was going on behind the scenes. Now we have the white walkers taken care of, but the human problems and difficulties remain, waiting to be solved (if ever?). 

I hate to bust the foundation of your hypothesis, but the first scene of episode one, season one reveals the white walkers. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I know you don't care about your people. Why should you? They hate you and you hate them. But you're not a monster - Tyrion speaking to Cersei in this episode

People's minds aren't made for problems that large. White Walkers, the Night King, Army of the Dead, it's almost a relief to confront a familiar monster like my sister - Tyrion in The Queen's Justice, S7 E3, after Jon asks Tyrion how to convince people that the Army of the Dead is real.

Edited by Constantinople