Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E19: Adam Sandler / Shawn Mendes

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Romano Tours: Oh my god, they're spoofing Perillo Tours.

I had no idea about that, but the sketch was hilarious on its own. Easily the best one of the night. Lots of great lines. I liked the one about traveling and seeing different looking squirrels because it's true!

The Cold Open wasn't very good, though as usual I liked Kenan's comments, like calling Groot The Giving Tree. Also -- "I take off this shirt and I just puddle out into a poop emoji."

The monologue/song was good. I enjoyed the serious news report coupled with SnapChat filters.

Clothes Are Holes was bad. Usually I find SOMETHING funny in the Beck/Mooney sketches, but this didn't work at all. Was the music video a takeoff on something?

I didn't watch SNL when Sandler was on, so I wasn't up on all his characters that appeared in the Family Reunion sketch. It was amusing. Who was Kristin Wiig? Was she doing a Sandler character or a woman character in one of his movies or something else?

Rectix was funny. Aidy was great in it.

I was wondering about the bee sting bit in WU. The heading said the woman was stung 20 times in the head, but Che said she was stung 200 times. Was it just 20 in the head and 180 elsewhere on her body? I was distracted by that.

I loved Operaman. Again, I didn't know him from Adam (heh), but each song was funny, concise, and clever.

I like the Donnelly's sketches. Gross, yes, but also funny. One complaint I have is that I couldn't always understand what Adam was saying. There have been funnier partners of Kate's in that sketch. Wiig was great.

Like others I'm wondering why Wiig was in the show, but I didn't mind. For all her overuse when she was a regular, I still think she's great at creating characters and just being funny.

Chad's Journey was pretty good, but I think I would have liked it more if Chad's dad had been EXACTLY like him. 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I didn't know until recently that Sandler and Farley had been fired I always thought they quit to do movies.

Me, too!

I didn't know that Lorne said the thing about your high school years.

I thought it was, you prefer the cast of when you're an adolescent, because THAT'S when I thought it was cool to stay up and watch Letterman and SNL.  When you're in high school I don't know if it's as cool or has that much impact, but I'm a woman so my puberty is a lot earlier than mens'.  LOL.  Sandler/Meadows/Myers/Farley/Spade/MacDonald was the cast that I grew up with and was easily my favourite.  Will Ferrell/Jimmy Fallon/Tracy Morgan was my high school, I think, going towards my college.  Mike Myers and Adam Sandler (and Jim Carrey) were absolutely my heroes growing up.  I never thought the cast was bad at the time, but again, I was a kid.  I still prefer the movies of those 3 men over many others'.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
50 minutes ago, BookThief said:

I missed the name of the Romano Tours sketch at the beginning, but as it was airing I thought "This is like that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond" and then they said Romano Tours and I wondered if it was it meant to be Ray Romano? In an episode of ELR, Marie pays for the entire family to go to Italy and Ray is his usual, mopey self and Debra gets fed up and is even enjoying time with her mother-in-law because (paraphrased) "she paid for us to go to Italy!" In the end Ray gets over himself. But I was wondering if that was the origin of this sketch.

Can't speak to the Everybody Loves Raymond part of things, but as has been mentioned elsewhere this sketch was a take on Perillo Tours.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't watch SNL when Sandler was on, so I wasn't up on all his characters that appeared in the Family Reunion sketch. It was amusing. Who was Kristin Wiig? Was she doing a Sandler character or a woman character in one of his movies or something else?

Kristen Wiig was impersonating Adam's impression of his mom on his first album. (Which was one hell of a deep cut)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I woke up thinking of the Romano Tours sketch, which isn't something that usually happens. I thought it was funny while I watched it (and I echo the feelings of some posters here that the length of it didn't bother me) but in the light of day it actually made me feel kind of sad. As if they were saying, "Don't spend 95% of your life/energy working for a tiny thing that might not even make you happy. Try to make 100% of your life meaningful, instead." 

• Love 3

A few years being wiped away in the good-byes and from the younger cast members. I'm sure it was something of an emotional week seeing the bonds that formed on the show over 20 years ago and how that can pay off.

I loved that Adam included Kate Beckinsale as one of the hot women he had to create a movie role for him to kiss, it's amazingly relevant with the current show

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Kristen Wiig was impersonating Adam's impression of his mom on his first album. (Which was one hell of a deep cut)

I thought that Kristen also sounded like the "Mista Mista" lady from Happy Gilmore - you guys know what I mean?  Maybe Adam created that character partly based on how his Mom acts.

1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

I loved that Adam included Kate Beckinsale as one of the hot women he had to create a movie role for him to kiss, it's amazingly relevant with the current show

I could only see 50 First Dates and Just Go With It - am I right with those references?  What were the other two movies?  I guess Click, and I'm just missing the 4th.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
2 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I can’t describe how truly hard I laughed when Pete came in and started signing “I got fired”, followed by “I wasn’t? How is that even possible?”

That moment is going to be super awkward if he does, indeed, get fired. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought it was, you prefer the cast of when you're an adolescent, because THAT'S when I thought it was cool to stay up and watch Letterman and SNL.

I feel like the first case you're aware of typically becomes your favorite. (In other words, if your parents had it on in the background but you didn't pay attention, they probably aren't the one you hold most dear.)

I don't particularly have a favorite cast (always some good, always some bad) so I don't know if that's true but I think it makes sense in general. (Not just for SNL but for other things where there have been various versions). 

I wasn't a huge fan of Adam's when he was on nor am I a huge fan of his movies (but I do like some and am actually looking forward to his new Netflix one). Still, I did think his hosting gig would probably end up being solid and it was.  He has a knack for writing songs with a message so it's no surprise that the monologue and Farley song really worked.

Probably my favorite little joke of the night was Opera Man's critique of schlubby guy/gorgeous woman tropes.  I also appreciate how they closed out the Rectix butt plug sketch with the lemonade bit. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

Then that makes it even better that Pete who came put and said he couldn't believe he wasnt fired, also made out with Kate Beckinsale without creating a role to make her do so.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

LOVED the Romano Tours sketch. "You're still gonna be you on vacation." It can't be said too many times, thus I never thought that sketch dragged. Excellent.

That theme carried the whole sketch, so I figure it must somehow tap into a lot of people's insecurities.  I'm not big on traveling, so I wouldn't really know.  I mean I like to travel, but it's not a big thing with me.  I know people who make long, expensive trips a couple of times a year.  I've always been more of a "Home is where the heart is" type, it's up to you to make where you are interesting, rather than the other way around. 

And I prefer to spend my money on other things.  When you come home from vacation, it's over.  But I'll still have my collection of Star Trek tea cups or whatever it might be lol.

I had never heard of Shawn Mendes before, so I had to look him up.  According to wikipedia, he's a singer, songwriter, AND model.  Damn, I'm thinking that kid won the genetic lottery, he got gifted with looks, a good voice, plus talent.  For someone who looked like a teenybopper idol, I thought his music was melodic and engaging.

• Love 1

To me the best SNL era wasn't the one of my high school years, but the couple of years that was the cusp between the Carvey-Hartman-Nealon-Myers era and the Sandler-Spade-Farley-Rock "bad boys" era.  I liked both groups but the latter didn't have the staying power of the former so it wasn't super-surprising when the bad boys were canned. 

I looked at Sandler's lackluster IMDb page and was surprised to see that Happy Gilmore was after Billy Madison.

The episode was surprisingly good.  Leslie as Groot was a hoot!

• Love 1

Seeing Sandler as a middle aged man, singing that Farley song, was salt in the wound. That Adam has had the change to grow and work and raise a family—it hurts to have it presented in that way. It must be so difficult for Farley's friends. 

• Love 1

He was a public figure who largely chose the means of his own demise.  Farley's friends and family need to deal if they haven't (they probably have).

(edited)
31 minutes ago, JZL said:

He was a public figure who largely chose the means of his own demise.  Farley's friends and family need to deal if they haven't (they probably have).

I'm sure they have. I wasn't being critical; I was reflecting on how it made me feel and how I imagine Sandler and their friends may feel now that their dear friend is gone more than 20 years. 

That song and Sandler's performance of it were powerful reminders of what a terrible loss Farley's death was; that's all I meant. 

Edited by lovinbob
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 5/5/2019 at 12:15 AM, Alexis2291 said:

That being said, the Holes song was freakin’ awful. Very unfunny. Didn’t crack a single smile.

I thought the premise was ok, but either there were references I was missing or it was just one joke repeated over and over. Based on the name ("Van Bonjour") I was trying to guess whether it was "Bon Jovi" or "Bon Iver" they were going for, and the aesthetic seemed more "Bon Jovi", but beyond that I didn't get anything. (ETA: I take that back: there was one thing that made me laugh, the Andy Warhol wore holes pun.)

On 5/5/2019 at 12:52 AM, freddi said:

But Romano Tours was the high point, for sure, mostly because it was all. true. 

I couldn't make out the announcer's tag line over the applause (and I replayed it several times until I noticed that the onscreen URL www.RamanoTours.gondola spelled Romano as "Ramano" even though the rest of the graphics had it spelled correctly): "Romano Tours: we make memories, not [unintelligible]".

Romano Tours and Rectix were the best sketches. Other than that, Ego and Leslie made me laugh in the Family Feud.

On 5/5/2019 at 1:02 AM, Galileo908 said:

And we get Operaman! He didn't disappoint. Only nitpick, they showed the winning Kentucky Derby horse as Maximum Security, and not the one that actually ended up winning.

If they were going to bring it up, they should have commented on the disqualification. Ignoring the actual big news aspect seemed strange. Despite that, Operaman was the high point of a very mediocre Update.

Was Heidi in any sketches at all? I don't recall seeing her before the goodnights.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Afterthought.
  • Love 2
(edited)
21 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Was Heidi in any sketches at all? I don't recall seeing her before the goodnights.

Heidi was at the very end of the Rectix sketch, when Beck knocked the drinking glass out of her hand.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Heidi was at the very end of the Rectix sketch, when Beck knocked the drinking glass out of her hand.

Oh, of course. She and Aidy were there at the beginning and went inside together. It was a plain vanilla straight role and it didn't register. (TBH most of Heidi's characters grate on me, so not registering feels like an improvement.)

(edited)

I'm admitting I couldn't stand Adam Sandler during his time on SNL. I was in my twenties and the infantile comedy annoyed me greatly,and I avoided his films.But I'm also admitting I enjoyed him hugely last night. He was charming and funny. He was a good fit for the sketches he was in and Opera Man was a huge win,as was his monologue.I had seen bits of his Farley song recently on YT,but hearing it fully on the SNL stage..tears.I think Adam Sandler showed who he really is. A family man who loves his wife and kids, and misses his friend Chris.

Well done.

Edited by lou ann b
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

f they were going to bring it up, they should have commented on the disqualification. Ignoring the actual big news aspect seemed strange.

I agree with that. It was weird to me that it wasn't acknowledged, especially as Update has gotten pretty good in the past couple of years of incorporating news that happened right before the show goes live.

I'm guessing the bit was already written, rehearsed and timed exactly how they wanted, and there wasn't time to figure out how to change it. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, JZL said:

To me the best SNL era wasn't the one of my high school years, but the couple of years that was the cusp between the Carvey-Hartman-Nealon-Myers era and the Sandler-Spade-Farley-Rock "bad boys" era. 

To me, those two groups run together, most of those cast members were on the show at the same time at one point or another.  I remember people at the time complaining about how SNL had gone downhill and I kept thinking "Are you mad?  It's better now than it's ever been (almost)".

I like how all Leslie said as Groot was "I'm Groot, b!tch", or whatever it was she said.

• Love 3

I thought this was one of the best episodes this year!

I laughed throughout.

That Perillo Tours take off was hysterical! Some people are so miserable and leave the worst reviews for these tours -- just because they are miserable people and can't find the joy in any situation. I've read enough of those type reviews and witnessed those types of people. I could not stop laughing.

The "They're all gonna laugh at you." line from Wiig was from "Carrie". That was a take off of the Piper Laurie mother character. I cracked up. How obscure! That is one of my favorite movie lines to quote. Haha.

Unlike a lot of you, I liked the Hole Clothes video. It got more and more absurd....which I found very very funny.

WU was good took as was the CNN skit.

• Love 2

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think Adam Sandler is one of the luckiest people on earth. I don’t find him particularly talented enough to justify his celebrity. His humor is just plain stupid. I can’t imagine if anyone else stuck a pickle under his nose and said “I’m crazy pickle man!”it would elicit much laughs other than maybe from a group of elementary school kids.  He isn’t witty, smart or innovative with his humor, he’s not even slapstick.  He’s just stupid.

• Love 3
(edited)

Really enjoyed this episode and it was a good reminder that while Sandler was part of a very good cast, he was only ok on the show, with a few funny bits (mostly on Update) and lots of goofy accents. He was INCREDIBLY successful after leaving (great line in the "I was fired" monologue), but he was not in the Eddie Murphy/Bill Murray/Will Ferrell discussion or even in the next tier.

I was shocked at how few cameos there were....what David Spade, Rob Schneider and Horatio Sanz were busy???? Maybe they couldn't afford the airfare, 

Always happy to see Kristen Wigg (and love seeing her way too heavy bronzer come off with the paint roller), but seems like they should have let the regular cast take those rolls.....maybe they couldn't handle the spaghetti swirling!

Clothes = Holes was astonishingly bad. Usually the music videos are great. I have no idea what they thought they were doing there.

"Astonishingly bad" is the perfect description. I cant figure out what they ever saw in that video. Seems like they could have run the Chad video that was cut for content.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 1

My dad hates Adam Sandler, but he enjoys Phil Hartman. He always bad mouthed him for years and it was really funny thinking about it. I was always indifferent to the cast members of SNL. It was like that with Chris Kittan on the show. I sometimes didn't enjoy any of his characters there like Mango or Mr. Peepers, but always felt indifferent to him because his humor was not mine to enjoy. Adam I could take or leave it. There was funny moments during his SNL tenure and most not so funny. It's one of those things.

Though I do enjoy his Hotel Transylvania films as Dracula because his voice is pretty much a combination of all his other characters he did on SNL. However, The Wedding Singer remains my favorite of all Sandler films.

I wonder how they choose what to cut for time.  Some of those cut sketches sounded really funny, the Chad/Brad sketch was great, and all certainly would have been funnier than Holes!  

13 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Romano Tours and Rectix were the best sketches. Other than that, Ego and Leslie made me laugh in the Family Feud.

Every time I've seen Ego in a skit, she has looked awkward/uncertain and like she is acting.  This time, because her delivery needed to be stilted for the character, her delivery fit the skit, and she seemed good.  It's sort of like with Melissa, who is so wooden, but there have been a few sketches where that delivery was perfect for the character.

8 hours ago, rmontro said:

I like how all Leslie said as Groot was "I'm Groot, b!tch", or whatever it was she said.

Yeah, what actually was she saying?

10 hours ago, rmontro said:

To me, those two groups run together, most of those cast members were on the show at the same time at one point or another.  I remember people at the time complaining about how SNL had gone downhill and I kept thinking "Are you mad?  It's better now than it's ever been (almost)".

Same I think of all those people when I think of my favorite SNL era.  Hartman/Myers/Nealon/Carvey/Sandler/Farley/Rock etc.   Hartman was my absolute favorite though, his murder is so sad.   For some reason I didn't watch SNL at all during the Will Ferrell era, I think the cast change was too jolting for me, though I do like Ferrell's movies.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

She was saying "Bitch, I'm Groot"

And then breaking. I guess it got Fallon the TONIGHT SHOW.

Opera man was a favorite of mine, and I loathe Sandler. I once wrote a "song" about how much I hate Sandler for the morning radio show I produced. It eventually helped get me fired because the hosts hated it. Circle of life. 

The tours skit was good and the last song touching. The scariest thing was finding out GROWN UPS 3 is on the way.

• Love 2
(edited)
31 minutes ago, WAnglais1 said:

I once wrote a "song" about how much I hate Sandler for the morning radio show I produced. It eventually helped get me fired because the hosts hated it. Circle of life.

Don't worry; you'll be making successful movies soon!

Edited by possibilities
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Seeing Sandler as a middle aged man, singing that Farley song, was salt in the wound. That Adam has had the change to grow and work and raise a family—it hurts to have it presented in that way. It must be so difficult for Farley's friends. 

That was what really got to me too. Seeing Adam's middle-aged face right next to his young face in the Farley clips really affected me for some reason. I wasn't particularly a superfan of Farley's (though I thought he was hilarious, I just wasn't that invested in SNL) but his death is one that I do remember where I was when I heard about it and it was shocking, even though it was obvious that there were issues there. 

I've watched the song, and the Netflix version of it, SO many times in the last day. I actually like the song itself, it has an old-timey Springsteen feel to it, in addition to the lyrics. 

I really enjoyed Adam's parts of this episode, the monologue song, Farley song, and OperaMan. If not for those things, this episode wouldn't really stand out too much for me. Sandler's little giggle will always make me laugh for some reason.

• Love 4

I hated the cold open.  I don't watch GOT or Avengers and thought it went on way too long.

I'm from nyc so I know about Perillo Tours and thought the segment was funny, I just couldn't believe he went on so long about people being so unhappy on vacation, do people really act like that?

Operaman was great.

This was also one of the only weeks where I wasn't annoyed by Che during Weekend Update.

44 minutes ago, partofme said:

I'm from nyc so I know about Perillo Tours and thought the segment was funny, I just couldn't believe he went on so long about people being so unhappy on vacation, do people really act like that?

The wife and I once went to Italy. It was a spa-type vacation. The group was in the middle of an olive grove in Tuscany, soaking in a naturally-heated pool. It was glorious for us. One woman constantly complained she wanted to go to McDonald's.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 5/5/2019 at 12:02 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: In lieu of a political sketch, we get GOT vs Avengers Family Feud. YES. Beck as Thanos was as amazing as it was pretty horrifying to see, and Leslie Jones as Groot was great. I appreciate this show not spoiling either The Longest Night or Endgame (because Thor is anything BUT jacked in that movie).

Show me "some kind of white nonsense!" (Travel!) was great.

Monologue: If ANYONE was gonna sing for their monologue, it was gonna be Sandler. And he didn't disappoint. Yep, singing how he famously got fired. And then came the cameos and singing about how THEY got fired, like Chris Rock.

Snapchat Filters: Okay, combining silly Sandler voices with snapchat filters is gold. I liked the meerkat filter, but the sketch got way better once Sandler joined in.

Holes (Clothes): This was weird, I'm hoping that this was a pure Good Neighbor project. This was just an excuse to just say "holes" over and over again, wasn't it? Beck and Kyle looked like Ben Franklin and Weird Al, right?

Romano Tours: Oh my god, they're spoofing Perillo Tours. Yes, they're the guys who give tours of Italy to Long Island families. And every single part of this just hit so close to home. If you're sad at home, you'll be sad in a foreign country.

Sandler Family Reunion: Looks like they're pulling what they did with Walken and Jim Carrey and it's a sketch where everyone does a Sandler voice. Leslie Jones as Chubbs was probably my favorite part. I'll be honest, if I was in that room, I'd consider it the first circle of hell.

Rectix: That pill looked like it came right out of Dr. Mario and that's all I could think of. And it just got hilariously more horrifying. Dishwasher safe was where it broke me.

WU: Yeah, this week was pretty stupid. And yeah, out of all the stuff we need to get angry about, we as a nation decided to go full blast on Sonic The Hedgehog. DeBlasio jokes are pretty easy, but also welcome. Peeps being made of soap and crab meat was probably my favorite joke.

I'm all for Give No Shits Elizabeth Warren. It's pretty sad that while she's the one actually laying out policy, media is focusing on Biden, Mayor Pete, and Beto. SIGH.

And we get Operaman! He didn't disappoint. Only nitpick, they showed the winning Kentucky Derby horse as Maximum Security, and not the one that actually ended up winning.

Last Call: Sheila is back, and it's fitting that Sandler would encounter her. And an orange Kristen Wiig. It got much better (and horrifying) the second they all went in on each other. Kenan's reactions was just the icing on the cake. "I didn't finish but I am done" is such a goddamn mood.

Farley Song: Aww this was sweet. And it had clips of all his great bits. Man, this one got to me. Didn't expect to cry at 1am on a Saturday, but here we are.

I was watching that era of reruns when I was in high school, so this also applied to me.

They did show the right horses during opera man. I even commented to my hubby about it, and just re-watched WU on YouTube to verify. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/5/2019 at 12:26 PM, meowmommy said:

I guess I'm supposed to be dead, then, because SNL premiered when I was in college.  It was an instant hit in the dorm.

Same here.  When I rewatched the first episode a year or two ago, I was surprised by how little screen time the NRFPT Players had -- there was a LOT of George Carlin (first host) and too much of those creepy Muppets.  But that cold open with Belushi and O'Donoghue was great!

I agree that the Romano Tours sketch just kept picking up steam as it went on.  I think my favorite was "remember, the pictures you're in are gonna have you in them."

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, lou ann b said:

I'm admitting I couldn't stand Adam Sandler during his time on SNL. I was in my twenties and the infantile comedy annoyed me greatly,and I avoided his films.But I'm also admitting I enjoyed him hugely last night. He was charming and funny. He was a good fit for the sketches he was in and Opera Man was a huge win,as was his monologue.I had seen bits of his Farley song recently on YT,but hearing it fully on the SNL stage..tears.I think Adam Sandler showed who he really is. A family man who loves his wife and kids, and misses his friend Chris.

Well done.

Let me fix that for you. “I’m admitting I couldn’t stand Adam Sandler.” 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Same here.  When I rewatched the first episode a year or two ago, I was surprised by how little screen time the NRFPT Players had -- there was a LOT of George Carlin (first host) and too much of those creepy Muppets.  But that cold open with Belushi and O'Donoghue was great!

I agree that the Romano Tours sketch just kept picking up steam as it went on.  I think my favorite was "remember, the pictures you're in are gonna have you in them."

The Not Ready for Prime Time Players were even presented as an afterthought in the opening credits--it took several years, IIRC, before the cast was listed first and the host was listed at the end.  I'm sure NBC wanted to highlight the famous guest host over the (then) unknown stock players, never expecting most of them to become breakout stars.  Nowadays people complain if there are too many sketch roles given to guests and not enough left for the cast.

I don't think you even have to have seen a cheesy tour ad to appreciate the Romano tours sketch.  It was just darn funny -- and true -- on its own.  Only wish real advertising was that honest!

• Love 5

The more I think about it, the more I think Opera Man was definitely one of the best recurring characters on the show. 

And most certainly one of the best Weekend Update segments, because they can get boring at times.

21 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought the premise was ok, but either there were references I was missing or it was just one joke repeated over and over. Based on the name ("Van Bonjour") I was trying to guess whether it was "Bon Jovi" or "Bon Iver" they were going for, and the aesthetic seemed more "Bon Jovi", but beyond that I didn't get anything. (ETA: I take that back: there was one thing that made me laugh, the Andy Warhol wore holes pun.)

It was a take off of November Rain by Guns and Roses.  Adam was playing Slash.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

They did show the right horses during opera man. I even commented to my hubby about it, and just re-watched WU on YouTube to verify. 

You're right! What the hell was I thinking? I think I was too tired that night.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:38 PM, Galileo908 said:

That was crazy and I was wondering how many people would get that. It also really reminded me how old I am since I owned that album on cassette.

11 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Though I do enjoy his Hotel Transylvania films as Dracula because his voice is pretty much a combination of all his other characters he did on SNL. However, The Wedding Singer remains my favorite of all Sandler films.

I really like the Hotel Transylvania movies  (especially the first 2). They are better than most vampire movies and the Johnny/Mavis relationship is one of the best and most logical human/vampire relationships on any movie or show.

9 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

the last song touching. The scariest thing was finding out GROWN UPS 3 is on the way.

I have always had a soft spot for the first Grown-ups  (the sequel is terrible) just because even more than any other Sandler movie it seems really sincere with legitimate friends hanging out amd joking around with each other. The Farley song of course reminded me that Grown-ups with Farley instead of Kevin James (as they had originally planned) would have been hilarious.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:03 PM, possibilities said:

I thought Kate's Warren impression was terrible, but the writing for her WU appearance made up for it. I also liked the commentary of Opera Man, even though that's the kind of character I generally despise. As usual, for me the writing is what makes or breaks the show.

Warren is tough to find a hook to hang a comedic impression on.  She's an intelligent, competent, no-nonsense person without a facet that can be exaggerated in a way that is funny.  It's sort of like how the show struggled to find a good take on Obama.  I think a good portrayal might be as the straight woman who remains sane and unflappable amidst the insanity that is the political circus we exist within.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, peeayebee said:

Chad's Journey was pretty good, but I think I would have liked it more if Chad's dad had been EXACTLY like him. 

Maybe it's because I had read too many other people's reactions before I watched the sketch, but I was bored by it. Since Chad and his dad are such nonentities, the angel needed to have a lot more energy and intensity to make it work. Mikey seemed pretty human and irritated. I would have liked to see Leslie's take on that part, to get more oomph into it.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle

That song for Farley has been on my mind the whole week. What I wouldn't give for Nora Dunn ( I know, I know) to come back and sing a tribute Sweeney Sisters-style for Jan.   

• Love 4
(edited)
49 minutes ago, vb68 said:

That song for Farley has been on my mind the whole week. What I wouldn't give for Nora Dunn ( I know, I know) to come back and sing a tribute Sweeney Sisters-style for Jan.   

She said in an interview a few years ago she was hoping they would have had one at the anniversary. I wish they had. I think she said they asked her to sing as her Sweeney Sisters character for that. 

For some reason that song and Sandler's monologue have been in my head all week. It's an episode that ended up being much more resonant for me than I had expected. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1