Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E08: Blame It on Rio

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Hester's model (?name?) is so very cute, and she looks freakishly like Shaunette Renee Wilson, from The Resident.  

Yes!!!!! She could pull off the man's suit and kippot look just as effortlessly as Okafor did this week!!! 

• Love 4
(edited)

I have to say, I felt a little bit for Jamall in this one. He saw Hester last week use her immunity to make a FORMAL GOWN WITH PASTIES and while the judges put her in the bottom, they didn't tell her that she should've been the one sent home and in fact still tried to find ways to "appreciate" her "creativity." He tried to do something a little different and when it didn't turn out well, they absolutely tore him a new one. It was not a good outfit, I understand that, but the leeway they're granting Hester is absolutely appalling.

I'm stunned Sebastian's wasn't on top. I get that Tessa's and Lela's outfits were nothing to write home about but if the judges can find a way to give Hester three wins for her shite, they can find a way to praise Tessa and Lela enough to put the team at the top and give Sebastian the win.

I don't like Tessa (like, at all) but I thought it was out of line for Bishme to come at her like that. Whether or not he felt she should've been in the bottom with them is irrelevant. His outfit last week was shit and he's lucky he was saved. It's not Tessa's fault the judges found three worse outfits than hers to put in the bottom. I felt like he was trying to bring her down a peg for some reason and I'm unsure why. And to snap at her for saying much the same thing to Hester was hypocritical. She was right, and I don't agree with her saying it to Hester either, but Bishme was wrong to scold her like that.

Edited by JenLily
  • Love 21
(edited)
15 hours ago, Plums said:

I feel like I'm going insane, lol. I HATED Hester's look. HATED. IT. Like, I wanted to cover my eyes as it came down the runway, I thought it was so ridiculous and ugly. And then they were all talking about how wonderful and wearable(!?) it is and gave her the win, and I just. I am speechless about how much I don't understand what just happened. The only thing I agree with is Renee's look being the loser. I don't understand why Team Lela, Sebastian, and Tessa didn't get the top spot. I guess Morena Baccarin has deplorable taste? the only look I liked at all in the top group was Bishme's. He should have won.

Hester does not deserve to have won three times. Just because she has a consistently executed aesthetic doesn't mean it's a good aesthetic.

WHY DO THEY KEEP IGNORING SEBASTIAN!!???!! 

If I could like this post 100 times, I would. I thought that bathing suit was nothing more than a hexagon of lycra held together by a cat's cradle pattern of randomly placed strings in the back. It looked like it would be impossible to put it on by yourself, super uncomfortable, cheap and like something a 5 year old could have done. Better. I was speechless when she won, the judges were clearly on drugs.

When Tessa said to Bishme "I actually like the look of unfinished hems" while defending her pants from last week, that's when it really dawned on me that I want her GONE. Please Tessa, go. You were right calling Hester out about that godawful bathing suit but you still have to go. And take Hester and the head-to-toe "picnic on the grass" look she was wearing with you. The level of praise she received from the judges was insane but then again, three of them have the taste level of a Real Housewives' cast member and Morena Baccarin looked like she didn't even want to be there, so I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen.

I was really sad to see Renee go. She was my favorite and seemed like a truly wonderful person. Well, I can only hope the judges finally tune in to the same show we're watching and realize Sebastian is there and he needs to win this thing. 

Edited by stormy weather
  • Love 17
13 hours ago, Lemons said:

Marni was wearing trendy clothing even though it looked like shit on her.  The skirt was lost on her because of whatever had on her legs.  Apparently no one instroduced the art of editing to her. Three overwhelming pieces all fighting for attention. Not a good sign when you are looking for a stylist. 

Isn't that one of the most common criticisms? Edit it! You've got too many ideas going on! I mean, crazy puffy sleeves, jacket skirt, wild tights, unicorn hair bun. EDIT!

• Love 17

Did we determine how the models get eliminated?  I think losing Rene's from last night would be a welcome relief, since nobody seems to be able to make her look very well styled. 

As much as I dislike Tessa and don't think her design this week was very daytime appropriate, it looked nice on the model and that model knows how to present herself on the runway.

• Love 3
(edited)
19 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Those were some seriously ugly colors. They looked very Walmart to me. How are these designers so bad at choosing good fabrics?

I said that last week. When do they learn???

Edited by carrps
  • Love 2

why on earth did the losing team think that incorporating the same freak'n print made their theme cohesive? Who goes on vacation with three outfits using the same print? They totally missed the point (but then again pretty much everyone shared too much in the fabric department). I guess the budget was pushing them that way.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Kate's been on the bottom multiple times, she plods down the runway, they should not be keeping her just because she is big. 

My guess is no one else is hiring her to do modeling work, so she's always available for this show.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Well said.

I don't know why they felt the need to come up with a 'story' for their designs when they were creating clothes for a real life woman who has her own story. 

Everyone was VERY relieved when they found out that Hester's creation was reversible. 

I agree with you about Bishme going after Tessa in the morning and then calling her out for doing the same thing the next day.  He might be over Tessa (don't blame him) but he needs to keep that to himself.  I was disappointed with Renee but I got the feeling it was more a case of backing Bishme than going after Tessa.  Still, she should have kept quiet.  But my spidey senses started tingling when they showed that because Renee has been very quiet and she spoke more in the first 15 minutes of this episode than she has in all the previous episodes.  Her jacket was amazing though.  They need to put that up on the website.  I know it would outsell everything else.

I think it is because something about "their girl" or "their girl's story" is mentioned to the designers at the description of every challenge.  

When the designers are asked on the runway for their "story", I agree with you - I just wish one of them would say "My girl's story is that she is a girl/woman who wants to wear well made fashionable (NOT "fashion-forward" stupid, unwearable things) clothes that suit her lifestyle, however varied it may be, and that fit her well."  

I mean, isn't that what every woman wants?  We all have different parts of our life, whether it be stay at home, go to work, go out to play, shop or workout, go the beach/mountains/vacations, go out at night - sometimes dressy and formal, sometimes not.  So, our wardrobes must incorporate all of those items, but we would all like them to fit well, make us feel good about ourselves and compliment our bodies.

Obviously, for particular challenges, such a formal dresses/gowns - the designer should have an idea of what the event is and design accordingly, but when they're making a mini-collection for a specific client as they did last night - they already have their "girl's story" - their "girl" is going on vacation with her children/family to a fabulous warm-weather destination and needs appropriate clothing for one day.  Pretty clear story there, imo!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 12

Renee is a class act.  It seemed like she knew she was the one who was going to be eliminated.  Don't know if she realized the pants were THAT bad, or she saw the handwriting on the wall - first Sonia, now her - NO WAY is an older designer going to win this.  She's made pants several times before - was she doubting herself because she had the larger model and thought someone else would know how to fit her better?

Hester should have been disqualified from the win simply for the bad fit of that swim suit.  I know of NO ONE, male or female, who wants to walk down the beach sporting a wedgie!  

From the back, Garo's gown reminded me of the Carol Burnett curtain dress.

• LOL 11
  • Love 11
(edited)
4 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Tom and Lorenzo mentioned that Christian had an opinion about last night's show.  Does anyone follow him on Twitter?

I do.  He said that he did not agree with the judges on the top team.  He said "There was a better team with very chic clothes".

Sorry, I did not see Hula-la's post!  

Edited by gibasi
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

That was the previous production company.  This one has a clean copybook which they are blotting up right and left.

Bishme should have won.

Kate, the model, has another victim.  How many people has she sent home now?  She makes zero effort to make the garment look good on the runway.

Rene is the coolest person ever!  She was cracking up when Brandon was on his rant about how crappy her pants were.  She told Venny not to take things personally, it wasn't the end of the world.  And now she gets to get married!

Hester has the worst posture I've ever seen.

Now, if Kate and Hester could just get paired up in two weeks!!  (Not next week, because Hester has immunity again, and will probably abuse that privilege again.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Bwahahaha!  I though she meant "mullet" swimsuit.   Huh.  That works too...

Well, Hester's swimsuit was kind of "business in the front and party in the back", with the way it was all strappy and REVERSIBLE in front, but riding up and exposing the model's butt cheeks in the back!    😂

• LOL 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Beden said:

My mother's comment regarding that suit would have been a practical 'You'd end up with a funny looking tan...'

And she'd be right. Plus, despite the judge's gushing it wasn't anything new. Looked kinda 70's or maybe 80's to me, both design and color wise.

That is exactly what I said when I saw it!  I had a very similar suit in the early 80's, but it was black with neon pink criss-crossed lacing up the sides (It actually may have been BodyGlove, or some Marshall's knock-off of BodyGlove, LOL!).  It was NOT a very comfortable suit, unless you were standing up or laying down completely flat on your back.  If you were sitting, or half-lying down lounging, the lacing dug into your hips and sides, plus, any little bit of body fat sort of squished out around the criss-crossing (sort of like a cross-cut pattern that is made on an Easter ham!)   😁

Edited by njbchlover
  • LOL 11
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Is that actually "a thing"?

I have no idea, but I thought they were kind of weird - I wondered if I was seeing correctly - maybe they were something else, but that it what they looked like to me.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, njbchlover said:

I have no idea, but I thought they were kind of weird - I wondered if I was seeing correctly - maybe they were something else, but that it what they looked like to me.  

it was definitely Christ off the cross. Why?

1 minute ago, dleighg said:

it was definitely Christ off the cross. Why?

Who knows - because they were quirky?  Marni certainly seems to have quirky personal taste.  

I know lots of people (myself included) who wear crucifix necklaces, small earrings or even bracelets, but I've never, ever seen earrings like that - the image of Christ on the cross without the cross - just couldn't figure it out!  

I hope I don't sound like I'm being religiously judge-y here - just trying to understand the look!  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Funniest line of the season.  Little Miss Fashion Expert doesn't know that it's a MAILLOT.

Well, this is the same designer who doesn't know gingham from houndstooth, so...

6 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Hester's model (?name?) is so very cute, and she looks freakishly like Shaunette Renee Wilson, from The Resident. 

I think her name is Thijin.

• Love 4

At the risk of sounding like the old lady that I am, who is Morena Baccarin. She was cute but I never heard of her and am wondering if she's like an A-list celebrity?

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Beaner said:

At the risk of sounding like the old lady that I am, who is Morena Baccarin. She was cute but I never heard of her and am wondering if she's like an A-list celebrity?

She was in Firefly/Serenity, she is also Wade Wilson's girlfriend in the Deadpool movies... she has been in other stuff too, but those are the main things I know her from.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, roctavia said:
44 minutes ago, Beaner said:

She was in Firefly/Serenity, she is also Wade Wilson's girlfriend in the Deadpool movies... she has been in other stuff too, but those are the main things I know her from.

She has a pretty steady list of TV gigs, though the only thing I've seen her in is Homeland.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1072555/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Love 2
(edited)

While I've felt the judges have been giving Sunshine Unicorn WAY more than her due, looking like they're chugging the crazy-cakes Kool-Aid for her, I still think that Sebastian is going to win this thing (well, 90% sure and 10% wishful thinking). 

I'm not convinced that she would have won this week's challenge with the usual judging team, either. Marti, the famous stylist I've never heard of, is even more ridiculous looking than S.U. so I'm sure she was throwing her votes her way.

But seeing as how, as long as they're not auf'ed, everyone goes into each challenge on equal footing, S.U. won't have an official advantage as she racks up bizarro-world wins, I just can't fathom it continuing like this.

I'm convinced that this is a show, a pantomime, a sham of a travesty of a sham to keep viewers on their toes and frothing at the mouth about the results, while the classy, gifted, multi-facteted Sebastian consistently turns out fabulous work that gets zero love and appears to fly under the radar.

I'm calling a Sunshine-Sebastian showdown where he kicks her ass from here to Rainbow Briteville in the final collection. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • LOL 4
  • Love 17

So...after someone finished explaining how vitally important a hairstyle was to finish a look and Marni walked right on sporting a messy old maid knot so tight she squinted...was the irony intentional or just unfortunate? I can't tell how much this show deliberately pokes at its viewers. 

Also wasn't sure how much everyone was paid when Marni completely "saved" a look by pushing the strap-sleeves down over the shoulders. I was kind of hoping all those vapors the judges were suffering were going to turn out to be a joke,  but it does appear this show really wants Marni to happen for some reason. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 9

Me watching the judging:

Huh, wow, Sebastian's is the best and the rest of his team did OK, easy win.  Can't wait for the judges to rip Hester a new one over that ugly monstrosity with her model's ass hanging out.

What? They're SAFE???? That means.....one of these teams is the winn....WHAT

WHAT

Then this runs through my mind

• LOL 6
  • Love 12

So, so disappointed in the return to Bravo and new judges. Although the first couple of episodes made me rejoice.  Not only is Hester Sunshine still in the competition, she won a 3rd challenge🤮 Does anyone know what her real last name is? My drunken Google searches led me to no conclusion Whatsoever.

IMHO Marni looked like an Oompa Loompa without the purple face.

Seriously, Sebastian is an amazing designer. While I felt like a lot of Renee’s previous designs were too similar, I also thought - wow I could wear these and look good as someone who is over 30 years old and not a size four (which seriously is most of the women buying clothes).

in Hester’s defense, this was actually one of her least offensive looks to me (at least from the front 🤪). But bringing in Marni as a judge when she was in the workroom bothered me a lot. I love, love, love Tim Gunn but I remember one episode when they brought him in as a judge while he was a mentor was wrong. that’s a conflict of interest. 

Hester’s aesthetic sadly reminds me of my need in early high school to be different (this was in the early 80’s) when I actually looked like an idiot.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
21 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I'm glad the judges at least had the sense to know what they were losing with Renee.  The jacket she was wearing was FIERCE and I know she made it.  The replay of her outfits was a reminder of how good she is.

Hester's going to have to make her clown hats bigger to fit over her swollen head.  Tessa was rude and inappropriate (as usual) but SHE WAS RIGHT.

That jacket was really poorly made...look again at the lapels...they weren’t pressed correctly so the seams curved in a way they weren’t supposed to.  Rookie error. 

• Love 1

I just watched the show and haven't read any posts.

I hated Hester's swimsuit. I thought Bishme should have won.

I thought Sebastien, Tessa and Lela's team should have been the top team.

The right team was on the bottom and unfortunately the right person went home. Darn, I really liked Renee.

I thought it was interesting how the judges were openly discussing past performance as a factor in judging.

Tessa can just shut it. Now.  I was annoyed about Renee and Bishme asking Tessa why she was in the top, etc.  They may not like her look, but she is not responsible for her placement in the judging. Is she the youngest one here? Maybe Jamal is or one the guys who left earlier who was just out of design school. Anyhow I'm getting a strong "special snowflake" vibe from her.

Christian sounded ready to cry when he said good-bye to Renee.  

• Love 4

Well.  Someone likes Kate.

Justice for Kate!

Actually, I don't mind Kate.  I do agree she's a poor walker, but she has a pretty face, and, honestly, I pay very little attention to the models on the runway.  My complaint is with the camerawork on the runway.  All I want to see are the finished designs, Show.  Give us that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

If only Sebastian had been on Hester's team... Who knows, but I think he would have won. Tessa and Lela's mundane frumpery dragged his team score down; and then clearly the celebrity they were supposed to be designing for loved Hester's bathing suit, if it was in black - and Hester had explained it was to be made as a reversible with a black reverse, but the gorgeousness of the colors against her model's skin made her drop that notion - and saw it as something for herself to wear, and also loved Bishme's look. I think that played a large part in the outcome, and in Hester's team being on top. They're designing for her and those are the looks she could see herself in. Plus Hester, like Sebastian (who is more polished and skilled), is inventive; and clearly these judges and even guest judges appreciate that.

I don't know who of the bottom team Nina would have pushed to be sent home - but I don't think she will be that sad it was Renee, after she gets a look at some footage of those terrible pants.

• Love 1

Overall, I liked the Team Tessa best, except for the color of Lela's dress. It was a little too dark/dull -- something. If it had been a tad brighter, it would have been stunning. It was too heavy -- if that makes sense. 

However, I loved Bishme's look. Garo's -- I'm so sick of the same ol' from him. As for Hester-- I don't get it. 

What is with Hester's posture? She can't hold her head up straight. I don't think it was the fruit bowl on top of her head. She always seems to plod around like an 80 year old with bad posture. She also has a horrid scowl on her face on the runway, unless they say something nice. I think I just really want to smack her. 

That is after I smack the smug Tessa. She's something else. The only reason to celebrate a Hester win is that it bugs Tessa so much. Poor Sebastian for having to do so much work for the princesses on his team. He's so talented -- he deserves to take this whole thing. 

• Love 12
20 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I think fictional tv shows and movies have given viewers a false sense of what a stylist looks like. Sometimes they look like perfectly glamorous individuals with exquisite taste, but just as often they look like kooks. Dressing like weirdo is completely ok in fashion circles. Andre Leon Talley has been known to style on occassion; he's also a heavy 6 foot 6 inch Black man walking around caftans and furs. Isabella Blow and Grace Coddington are other examples. Both styled from time to time and both also dress/dressed unusually. Karl Lagerfeld dressed like a 300 year old vampire addicted to skinny jeans. While not a stylist, Rick Owens' wife, Michele Lamy is his muse; she dresses like a death metal ghoul. I think people forget that when Rachel Zoe came on the scene she was a curtain of hair, sunglasses, and drowning in clothing. 

A bunch of con artists.  No talent but fooled the rich and famous.  That black dress Marni showed on Kendall Jenner, whom she styled with Audrey Hepburn in mind, was tacky.  But Jenner didn’t look horrible because she had good hair, makeup, she’s young and has a tall thin body.  

• Love 2

My two cents:

The celebrity judge reminded me of a young Ashley Judd.

Who irons Lycra?!!

The colors that all three teams used?  Fugly.  SO fugly.  So fugly that they made me feel stabby.

Brandon Maxwell's description of Renee's pants would make Michael Kors proud.  I need to go back and rewind just to savor it.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:21 PM, letusprocrastinate said:

Just name Hester the winner of this season and be done with it.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, bombast said:

They've GOT to be kidding me. F'ing Rainbow Brite again?? 

The producers are trolling us, right?

So, I'm feeling just like the season when they gave the win to the witch with the banana-hands fabric in the finale.  I can't even be bothered to go look up her name.  I just remember that I hated her and it was obvious they planned to make her a winner from Day One.    Do better, Project Runway.

• Love 10
(edited)
11 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I've known a lot of stylists in my day and most of them are fairly nondescript people who you wouldn't notice because they put their effort into their work.  I think tv has created the stylist who looks like Marni giving the false sense that a stylist has to be a personality.

I know ALT and he is larger than life in every way.  He's grown into the 'character' he is now.  Trust me, he wasn't wearing caftans and furs (well, maybe furs) when he was Ms. Vreeland's protege or during most of his time at Vogue.  I met Isabella a few times and she was known for her 'look' and being a designer's muse.  Any work as a stylist were side projects.  Karl Lagerfeld started dressing that way when he decided that he wanted to be a 'star'.  Early pictures of Karl show a pretty ordinary looking guy.  And Kaiser Karl wasn't a stylist. 

I know that Karl wasn't a stylist. I think most of the stylists who put most of their efforts into their work and not their own outfits aren't well known enough for me to cite, which is why I deleted an entire paragraph on those individuals and decided to focus more on the weirdos because that seemed the most germane and they are better known. My larger point was that fashion abides people who dress and look unusual so Marni's unusual personal style isn't necessarily a reflection of her skill is as a stylist.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Lost my post, so at this point I'll just say: It strikes me that the judges give Hester the win (even if undeserved) the week before a challenge she will obviously fuck up, thus giving her immunity and they can't eliminate her for a really, really bad design. I don't understand why. Even though Nina was out this week, she's still a big fan of the unicorn barf style, so the win was in anyway. 

Renee will go on to do better than Hester in the long run. That's typically how these things turn out. I'm still sorry she had to go so soon.

• Love 10
(edited)

I found it irritating that Hester wouldn’t stop cutting when karli came in to make an announcement, felt rude to me. But maybe because I can’t stand her 🤷🏻‍♀️

I also thought it was unfair for the designers to have to come up with a story for a one day team challenge that was super specific. All they seem to be thinking is that it has to be cohesive and done quickly! they are designing clothes, not telling a story, and also trying to work in a team all at the same time. 

I thought Lela was right when she said that Bishme was ‘projecting’ on Tessa with his critical comment on her last garment because he was upset about having been in the bottom 

Edited by Kdel1079
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

The colors that all three teams used?  Fugly.  SO fugly.  So fugly that they made me feel stabby.

And they used so much of it!  Some of these designers seemed to think it was the head-to-toe challenge. 

I don't know why they had so much trouble with this one.  I loved Sebastian's and Bishme's, but they didn't have much competition.  What kinds of clothes do these designers want to design if they can't design a beach look, a day look, and an evening/dancing look for a person on vacation?  It really wasn't a hard or complicated challenge. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Tessa can just shut it. Now.  I was annoyed about Renee and Bishme asking Tessa why she was in the top, etc.  They may not like her look, but she is not responsible for her placement in the judging. Is she the youngest one here? Maybe Jamal is or one the guys who left earlier who was just out of design school. Anyhow I'm getting a strong "special snowflake" vibe from her.

I think Jamall is the youngest.  He's 23 and graduated from RISD in 2017.

(edited)
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree that it seems unnecessary to have a story when you're putting together three outfits for vacation. My story is I'm going to the beach, I'm going out in the afternoon, and then I'm going to dinner.

I love that that's essentially what Tessa's Sebastian's team went with. Their team name was..."Team Rio Holiday." Not "Team Disco Queen," not "Team Carnival," and certainly not "Team Breakfast at Tiffany's."

I like Rene fine, but it's always hilarious to me when an eliminated designer walks into the viewing lounge at the end and is all like, "PLEASE! DON'T NO ONE BE CRYIN' FOR ME!!! I know you're devastated and considering quitting in support and even killin' yourself, but, for the love of Gawd, hold it together!!! BE STRONG!!!!" No. One. Was. Crying.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sebastian was robbed again. He is deserving of winning all the challenges. His look was ready to wear, and looked elegant and sophisticated.

I was not thrilled with the judging this week at all. I kind of regret last week calling out Nina for her judging when actually she's probably the one with the most sense. 

Hester won again. Whoop-de-doo. 

Tessa is a bitch, and I kinda of loved the close ups of her  dress covered in dandruff and thread. She's bossy. She's basic. Someone please call her out for using Sebastian to help her with her design. 

Marni the stylist was wearing very tacky gold Jesus earrings. WTF? Git off mah lawn! *shakes fist at sky*

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, Fellaway said:

But Hester winning a third time is killing that hope.  It's like Gretchen, all over again.

Funny you should mention that, as I am SO hoping that things go the way they went during both Gretchen and Anya's seasons. In both instances, I had no burning affinity for any of the other designers, and I liked them well enough to hope that they would win so I could sit back and watch people lose their shit - and oh my, did they!

Hester Sunshine for the win!