Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E08: Blame It on Rio

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Re Hester's outfits, I think she buys extra fabric and whips something up for herself that will match what she makes for the competition.

And that, Lamb 18, might be the answer to the questions about HOW she was able to transport so many crazy outfits from New Mexico to NYC.

• Love 1
(edited)

^^^ but like, are they allowed to sew on their off hours as long as it has nothing to do with the challenge or is she making the outfits during the challenges instead of working on her garment for the competition?

Edited by Samwise979
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, Beden said:

With respect...because if /when they get out and design in the real world of fashion design compromise is essential. Until they hit the level of the late Yves St. Laurent, Valentino, or even Kors the real world of fashion doesn't exist to stoke your ego, it exists to sell clothes. To do this you have to appeal to not just the public (whatever part or section of that you choose to target) but also to store buyers who are mainly concerned with moving units.

You are absolutely right... but, compromising as an employee member of a design team for a fashion house is so different than compromising in an individual competition like this one.

If there must be team challenges, wouldn't it be fun to have one where outside team leaders - design professionals - direct the designers to create mini-collections? Team leads with no dog in the hunt as far as individual contestants' wins and losses and who could tell the judges how each designer was or was not able to follow direction, collaborate, adapt, and try to fit his or her own "vision" into the parameters of the directive?

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
(edited)
14 hours ago, Ashforth said:

You are absolutely right... but, compromising as an employee member of a design team for a fashion house is so different than compromising in an individual competition like this one.

If there must be team challenges, wouldn't it be fun to have one where outside team leaders - design professionals - direct the designers to create mini-collections? Team leads with no dog in the hunt as far as individual contestants' wins and losses and who could tell the judges how each designer was or was not able to follow direction, collaborate, adapt, and try to fit his or her own "vision" into the parameters of the directive?

Absolutely love this idea!

8 hours ago, LeoLady said:

OT but it looks like Karlie Kloss dug into Heidi's closet for her Met Gala camp.

Certainly a real nothing of a dress. Not flattering to her skin tone either.

Oh, and that reminds me to check out tomandlorenzo re: the Met Gala.

Edited by carrps
add tlo comment

I can't be mad at Tessa for stating, "We love you, but we didn't love your look." when the others came at her the day before saying, "How was your outfit elegant? We don't understand why you weren't on the bottom."  I think she felt like if they could be that straightforward with her, then she could be that straightforward with them. I agree with Tessa, I hated Hester's look. I thought it was worse that the one that went home. I actually picked the winning team, as the losing team. The safe team would have been my choice as the winning team. I liked all 3 looks and thought Sebastian's was perfection.

• Love 7

After reading all your comments, I just decided to delete this episode without even watching it. Hopefully I won't have to do that again, but from now on, I'm coming here first before watching.

• Love 2
On 5/4/2019 at 11:52 AM, HaaCHOO said:

My closed-captioning actually spelled it correctly: maillot.    Weird.

I’ll be honest, I never was quite sure how that word was pronounced. But I know it’s not “mallet.”

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, bitchin camaro said:

I’ll be honest, I never was quite sure how that word was pronounced. But I know it’s not “mallet.”

I believe it's "my-oh'"

Edit - Here you go: (This puts emphasis on first syllable, though I've heard it placed on 2nd as well).

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

I’ll be darned, that actually is how I’d always said it in my head. I guess my high school French paid off. 

Re: the episode. My mother had those hideous yellow pants in the 80s and they were awful even then. Oh, Renee. I’m not sure what would have gone any better with that Hawaiian Shirt Friday top but those might be the worst pants I have ever seen. Which is saying something when Marnies “it’s laundry day so I had to stick my legs in a jacket” getup was in the same episode    At least she knew it was a big miss and took the judges ripping like a champ  

F-ing Hester. It wasn’t the worst thing on the runway but I’d at least appreciate them not blowing glitter up her ass about how well made her accidental thong was. 

Morena Baccarin is one of the most consistently disappointing red carpet stars out there and her closet was a big old pile of meh. How they stumbled upon her to guest judge is beyond me. 

Jamal’s bodice reminded me of that hideous faux bra top that Tessa was wearing in the workroom a few episodes ago  Woof. 

Sebastian is the best and I have to believe it will eventually pay off for him. Hope springs eternal. 

Edited by bitchin camaro
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

You must come up with the perfect hairstyle. Like Marnie’s. **snicker**

Did they even mention or comment on the "hairstyles"? That part seems to have been mostly edited out.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

I’m not sure what would have gone any better with that Hawaiian Shirt Friday top but those might be the worst pants I have ever seen.

The top was equally awful. It was sort of tucked into the pants and the collar was a mess, not to mention the print. I think if the top had sort of flowed over the pants, then it wouldn't have been as glaring that the pants were a mess. 

On 5/5/2019 at 5:12 PM, dleighg said:

well I was at a restaurant recently and was repeatedly referred to as "young lady." I'm near 60. How about "here is your salad/short ribs/flounder". No "young lady" when I'm clearly not.

God, I hate that. I have survived almost 66 years on this planet and I want full credit. So condescending. 

Nobody better refer to me as “66 years young,” either. 

That said, Project Runway makes it pretty clear they don’t generally support designing for grown women, so perhaps that’s why they refer to everyone as girls. This view seems to permeate fashion as a whole. Or maybe I’m just grumpy because I’m trying to find something nice to wear to my upcoming birthday dinner and pickings are few and far between. I don’t want to be mutton dressed as lamb and I don’t want to look like Queen Elizabeth. Grrrr. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 5/6/2019 at 5:25 PM, Samwise979 said:

^^^ but like, are they allowed to sew on their off hours as long as it has nothing to do with the challenge or is she making the outfits during the challenges instead of working on her garment for the competition?

Irina was shown doing this on the recent “All Stars” season. She had some extra time and fabric and whipped herself up a skirt. The others were still working on their runway garments. 

I wonder if Tessa had been snotting around and working Bishme’s last nerve off-camera (or it was edited out), and he finally snapped, and that’s what we saw?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I wonder if Tessa had been snotting around and working Bishme’s last nerve off-camera (or it was edited out), and he finally snapped, and that’s what we saw?

I have a feeling that that was only part of the conversation in the apartment, but for obvious reasons, the part the producers wanted to highlight.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ML89 said:

The top was equally awful. It was sort of tucked into the pants and the collar was a mess, not to mention the print. I think if the top had sort of flowed over the pants, then it wouldn't have been as glaring that the pants were a mess. 

Now that I think about it, my mom had a very similar top in the 80's too. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

Jamal’s bodice reminded me of that hideous faux bra top that Tessa was wearing in the workroom a few episodes ago  Woof. 

Gosh, I thought I'd already mentioned this...guess it never made its way out of my head!

On 5/5/2019 at 11:09 AM, lovinbob said:

Garo grates, starting with the name and the fact that he seems a character from SVU, a sleazy photographer who probably didn't stalk and kill one of his models, but Benson and Stabler gave him a hard look.

What a great description!  He definitely can come across as skeevy, but I couldn't describe why nearly as eloquently.  

• Love 3
On 5/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, rlc said:

Color me shocked. They got rid of the remaining older woman. Someone needs to let the judges know that there’s a contestant on the show named Sebastien, and he’s the best designer there hands down. Guess that means he’ll be leaving soon.

I don't trust the integrity of this show.  I guess we'll find out soon enough if the fix is truly in. 

• Love 2