Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E08: Blame It on Rio

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I'm sorry but I don't know anyone that would look at Marni and think to themselves, I want her to dress me!

Omg, saw this, then a couple houses later watching the show. You couldn’t be more correct!

• Love 7

This season is so underwhelming, and this episode highlighted it. There was not one thing on the runway I loved. And there has not been one thing this season that rivals some of the best designs of seasons past.

• Love 5

Marni bugs but she’s basically what older Hester would look like.  A complete cartoon character but possibly good at her job.  And those faux jacket wrapped shorts are hella expensive.  Almost bought a pair but didn’t think I could style it unless I had a smaller waist like Marni.  She’s super skinny although short because she had no qualms with the dramatic shoulder that made her look wide and even stumpier.  But she’s Marni so no one cares.

I have a feeling Hester is embellishing clothing and accessories during their down days.  It’s the only thing that makes sense.  Her look is also easily supplemented in NY for sure.  Of course it looks like Five Below to me but she’s got access to some cheapy streety junk stores.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
38 minutes ago, bobbyjoe said:

1) contestants sniping at each other

2) inappropriately inserting product placement into challenges (making a big deal about hair so they can push product in the salon segment even though they were supposed to be designing for Morina who’s not exactly known for wild hairstyles)

3) ridiculously overhyping one contestant who’s perceived by the producers to be good tv

Oh, Project Runway Bravo, you were doing so good for a lot of the first half of the season.  It’s heartbreaking to see you slipping back into the same old, same old that ruined PR on Lifetime.

Please stop, ‘kay?

You forgot to mention the audience always gets an up close and personal with the losing designer.  I knew Renee was a goner when we heard her wedding story and got a picture of her adorable fiancé.  

• Love 14

My husband, not a watcher of this show, walked in while they were judging and told me that Marnie looked like "that chick from the Hunger Games". Aka Effie Trinket. Now I can't unsee it, so it will be even harder to take her seriously. Although I hated Jamall's ice skater swim costume, I did see Effie's (I mean Marnie's) point about it looking like Body Glove or Balenciaga. Doesn't make it not hideous though. And how exactly are you supposed to chase your kids down the beach with your wrists trapped in the cuffs of that thing?

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Marni bugs but she’s basically what older Hester would look like.  A complete cartoon character but possibly good at her job.  And those faux jacket wrapped shorts are hella expensive.  Almost bought a pair but didn’t think I could style it unless I had a smaller waist like Marni.  She’s super skinny although short because she had no qualms with the dramatic shoulder that made her look wide and even stumpier.  But she’s Marni so no one cares.

I have a feeling Hester is embellishing clothing and accessories during their down days.  It’s the only thing that makes sense.  Her look is also easily supplemented in NY for sure.  Of course it looks like Five Below to me but she’s got access to some cheapy streety junk stores.

Marni was wearing trendy clothing even though it looked like shit on her.  The skirt was lost on her because of whatever had on her legs.  Apparently no one instroduced the art of editing to her. Three overwhelming pieces all fighting for attention. Not a good sign when you are looking for a stylist. 

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

But, but, it was reversible!

And I'm just now re-living the horror of seeing Hester get all up in her model's crotch trying to fit the bottom. MY EYES!

5FA668BB-47A9-4DAB-A3AE-55575586E5E5.jpeg

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I almost turned it off when I saw Marni, and should have. I wonder how the judging would have turned out with a normal judging panel. Was Marni only on the panel because they were down two regular judges? 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

How is anyone supposed to listen to a 'stylist' who looks like that?

I think fictional tv shows and movies have given viewers a false sense of what a stylist looks like. Sometimes they look like perfectly glamorous individuals with exquisite taste, but just as often they look like kooks. Dressing like weirdo is completely ok in fashion circles. Andre Leon Talley has been known to style on occassion; he's also a heavy 6 foot 6 inch Black man walking around caftans and furs. Isabella Blow and Grace Coddington are other examples. Both styled from time to time and both also dress/dressed unusually. Karl Lagerfeld dressed like a 300 year old vampire addicted to skinny jeans. While not a stylist, Rick Owens' wife, Michele Lamy is his muse; she dresses like a death metal ghoul. I think people forget that when Rachel Zoe came on the scene she was a curtain of hair, sunglasses, and drowning in clothing. 

1 hour ago, roctavia said:

I liked Jamal's idea and it could have worked if he had trimmed a lot of that gauzy skirt stuff.. the longer top with the cutouts could have worked as a sort of swim dress but that hem got too wacky. 

I agree. It was the beginning of an interesting idea that needed some time to percolate. Unfortunately, he didn't have that time so it did end up looking weird.

Morena has horrible red carpet instincts. She either goes too avant garde, which doesn't suit her, or romantic, but kind of basic, which turns her into generic Hollywood beauty ver 27.

• Love 14

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PS I don’t agree with the judges this week on the top team. There was a better team with very chic clothes. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/projectrunway?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#projectrunway</a></p>&mdash; Christian Siriano (@CSiriano) <a href="https://twitter.com/CSiriano/status/1124134683925782529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 3, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(edited)
7 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

A gazillion likes. My husband just glanced at the tv as he walked through the room and said "Whe looks ridiculous!". I guess its a case of "Those who can't do it for themselves, teach others how to do it." She's just a hot mess and if I never saw her on PR again I'd be thrilled. Unfortunately, I think PR loves her so the FF button will get a workout.

I am so done with Tessa and Hester, both who have inflated opinions of themselves. I'm waiting for the other contestants to say "NO!" when she asks them to do something for her. Hester is just a walking joke, and is not good enough to be telling others what to do. I'd love to see someone tell her what she could do.

Editing this season has been very obvious and the viewer can tell who's going home in the first 15 minutes.

Edited by sunshine23
  • Love 10
(edited)

In a world of a million wannabes,  one had better figure out a way to be memorable. Hester has done precisely that.

What annoyed me the most about this episode is the choice of IDENTICAL fabrics and fabric colors!

Moreover,  how did they say "Rio"? How did they say "Prints"? How did they say "Elegance"? Feh!

Plus,  solid white pants are by definition without color or print,  so... 

Hester won. Also,  Macarena or Whateverhernameis said,  "I could wear that right now."  EOS. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 5

What a complete and total farce. I get the feeling Bravo decided to bring some sort of kitschy phenom on the show as a draw, but it's been an utter failure. If a designer is such a "force to be reckoned with" how is it she can't create a swimsuit bottom that doesn't ride up the model's ass (or even pasties that have some measure of retro-class to them)? I don't much care for Tessa's sour grapes, yet I also got the feeling that some of the others do not disagree with her, but simply see the virtue in keeping it to themselves. From all that I have seen, Hester is a one-trick pony with a modicum of talent and a sympathy-evoking backstory who knows the fix is in. I used to really like this show and was able to put up with some judging shenanigans, but this was just too much. The absence of Nina and Heidi-wannabe was an all too transparent device to make it seem that the judging is unbiased. Major fail. I'm gone.

• Love 12

Hahahaha, I was laughing so hard when Morena was showing  stuff from her closet because it was like everything that most of the designers hate: bright colors, prints, etc. Then I thought oh gawd, does that mean Hester is going to win?

The one thing I immediately hated about this challenge was that they had to come up with unique hairstyles for their models. They are not hairstylists so that is a stupid aspect to have them do. I was also cracking up that Karlie was going on and on about how the right hairstyle can make or break a look while standing next to Marni who always has her hair in that ugly sloppy Britney bun regardless of what she's wearing.

The team choosing felt really unfair to me. Karlie should have pulled three names from the button bag and then told each of them to chose ONE team member and then rotated.

It was hilarious to me that Garo is smart enough to know that all he had to do was let Hester BELIEVE that she was the team leader to keep the peace within their team. The key to getting along with people is often letting them think that they're in control, making the decisions, etc. I would like to point out that Karlie never said the names that got pulled out of the bag were actually team leaders, but somehow Tessa and Hester interpreted that as being in charge.

I loved that someone noticed it was snowing and that it resulted in a snowball fight.

I was fine with Hester continuing to cut after Karlie came into the workroom. All Karlie said was, "I have some news." She did not say they had to stop working (as they have done in past seasons when Tim or someone came into the workroom). Secondly, if you're in the middle of cutting something, ideally you don't want to stop midcut. And I say all of that as someone who isn't a Hester fan. On a shallow note, I hated her Carmen Miranda fruity hair scarf thing.

I don't know why she thought it would be SO COOL to make the bathing suit reversible aka make a lining. Did she think her model was going to strip down naked on the runway, turn the bathing suit inside out, and put it back on? The bathing suit she made was fine except that it was crawling up her poor model's ass, which none of the judges mentioned. It also had NO support for the breasts so if you have anything more than an A cup or maybe a perky B cup, there would be visible sagging, especially since it was a light color. I was surprised that they liked the fact that it laced up on the sides because that is another way to cheat having to fit something perfectly (instead you just tighten the lacing). I would never wear a bathing suit like that because it would leave the ugliest and most obvious tan lines high up on your collarbone. And it would be a pain in the ass to put on and lace up. Look, I'm practical if nothing else.

I really liked the flowy coral top that Bishme made. The white pants were fine. The overall look was so effortlessly cool (if Nina had been there, I bet she would have said it was "fresh and modern"). Of the three looks from the winning team, his was the best by a mile.

Garo's bright blue dress looked more like a beach coverup or a caftan to wear in the afternoon rather than an evening dress. It did look comfy but overall it just seemed way too simple for a design competition. I get that he was going for drama with the cape, but I think that could have been achieved in a way that didn't look so heavy or superhero-ish. He could have cut the back lower or draped fabric across the back instead of making it so shapeless and capelike in the back.

Oh, Jamall, ironing lycra was such a rookie mistake so no, I didn't feel bad that he had to remake the front panel of his bathing suit/dress. I wish he had made the skirt as a wrap or some kind of coverup because having it as all one piece made it look more like a spirit squad uniform or an ice skating costume. The placement of the yellow faux bikini was uneven which made it seem like the model had lopsided boobs. That aspect wouldn't have been very flattering even if he had done it well. Then she turned around and there was sheer fabric over her print fabric butt. What? And what the hell was with the sheer piece of fabric hanging between her legs. The fact that Jamall thought this was the best design on the runway had me shaking my head. Just no. There's being confident and then there's being delusional.

I don't understand why Renee felt the need to use Venny's pants measurements. Once she started having so many problems, she should have abandoned that plan. They ended up looking way too big and ill fitting. They were so unflattering and it wasn't just the model. When paired with that loose print blouse, the overall look was sloppy. I liked what she said to Jamall after judging though. She could have been bitter about the fact that the judges flat out said he had the worst look but that he was safe because he had immunity from the week before. Instead, she was practical about it being a team challenge and much kinder than I would have been under the circumstances.

I was undecided about Venny's pink dress. It fit his model really well but I could see that the line where the higher gathered ruffle was sewn was not even. I understood it in the context of their Carnivale theme, but like Morena said, it was something more suitable for a little girl.

I really liked Sebastian's look. The flowy pink top and flowy pants looked great for lounging poolside in a cabana (which I know isn't the same as the beach, but close enough). I'm surprised that he had enough time to make two pieces in between all he stuff that Tessa had him do for her design. My top two looks from the runway were Sebastian and Bishme. I'm sad that Sebastian wasn't eligible to win due to the stupid team challenge.

Tessa, please STFU about unfinished hems. They are ugly as fuck in addition to sloppy and cheap looking. I agreed with Garo's assessment that Tessa needs to do her own work. She farmed out a lot of busy work to poor Sebastian.  I didn't think that Tessa's look was a day look for being out and about. I was trying to picture someone walking through town in the middle of the afternoon in that dress. The way she created the crossover/X part made the model seem like she was almost in a straitjacket. I think if she had changed the angle of the X and had it end higher up, it would have looked more comfortable.

For the record, I thought Lela's fabric was more of a bluish teal than a turquoise. I thought that her dress looked simple but comfortable and chic. I preferred her dress to Garo's simple blue dress.

I hated that Brandon brought up Bishme and Hester's track records when deciding which one should win the challenge. No, consistency should not be a factor when awarding a win this week. The best look should win regardless of how the designer did last week, the week before, and the week before that.

I understand taking track records into consideration a little more when deciding who to eliminate because if someone has been pooping out crap week after week but surviving because there's always been someone slightly worse, then yeah, take their past performances into account.

Ha, I loved that Bishme called out Tessa for saying something bitchy right after Hester won. I didn't like Hester's bathing suit either, but seriously, let the girl celebrate her win. There's no need to say something mean two seconds after she won. And, as Bishme pointed out, Tessa was a hypocrite for doing that after she was so pissed that he had something about her outfit from the previous challenge.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, Thumper said:

I don't know if it helped or hurt to not have two of the "regular" judges there tonight.

I hope Nina is pissed next week when she discovers Renee is gone.

7 hours ago, Lemons said:

That model Kate still clomps down the runway and designers are going to do what they can to not get stuck with her. She’s horrible. 

At least Renee is too much of a class act to criticise a model...unlike some designers.

Tessa and Lela were like a couple of rich high school mean girls with a pet gay to run their errands.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

What annoyed me the most about this episode is the choice of IDENTICAL fabrics and fabric colors!

Moreover,  how did they say "Rio"? How did they say "Prints"? How did they say "Elegance"? Feh!

Plus,  solid white pants are by definition without color or print,  so... 

How did they not see they all had the exact same colors?  And even though it was pink and blue/teal somehow they all managed to pick the most muted and heavy looking versions of those colors.  Renee did have a print but that was heavy looking, too.  I think Bishme's and Sebastian's were by far the best looks.

• Love 17

It was interesting to hear that the judges do take into consideration previous performances while judging.  If the designer shows no real wow then they are more likely to auf them.  Unfortunately wow can come in the form of drama and not just outfits.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, njbchlover said:

ETA:  Marni lost any little bit of respect I may have wanted to have for her when she said she is Kendall Jenner's stylist.  I have such a horrible aversion to any and all things Kardashian/Jenner, it was over for me!  

BWAHAHAHAHA I died laughing when she oh so seriously said "we decided on a theme, we picked Breakfast at Tiffany's!" For one, that's hardly original. For two, the ridiculously frou frou, overworked rags Kendall was sporting would have given Audrey Hepburn a conniption.

10 hours ago, Ashforth said:

For the first time this season, I could hear Tim Gunn in my head. Color does not make a cohesive collection. The lack of imagination the designers had from the client's input was pathetic. They all seemed to say, okay, pink! Blue! It was painful to watch the teams struggle to come up with a "story" for their "girls."

Why did they have to come up with a story at all? Wasn't the actress they were designing for their "story"? An actress from Brazil who now lives in LA but heads home to hang on the beach with her kids, go shopping and to lunch in town, and go out dancing at night? These tormented, unimaginative "stories" are so silly. "She's a girl who's going on vacation so she can just forget all the stress in her life". Right. Just like anyone who's going on vacation. Sheesh.

10 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I'm glad the judges at least had the sense to know what they were losing with Renee.  The jacket she was wearing was FIERCE and I know she made it.  The replay of her outfits was a reminder of how good she is.

Hester's going to have to make her clown hats bigger to fit over her swollen head.  Tessa was rude and inappropriate (as usual) but SHE WAS RIGHT.

I was coveting Renee's jacket HARD. That was a big old slab of awesome, right there.

Tessa was right. Its what everyone here is saying. It didn't look like it fazed Hester, in any case--they've been shown to be buddies, and they were sitting next to each other on the couch looking perfectly friendly in the next scene.

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT! Bishme is turning out to be quite the priggish little bitch, in my opinion. He spits venom at Tessa at breakfast because he thinks her (admittedly far from perfect, but perfectly serviceable) outfit wasn't on the bottom, along with his nightmare of a outfit that almost got him sent home. That was the judges' decision, not Tessa's, so why was he mad at her? That he and Renee felt compelled to pile on her left a very bad taste in my mouth, especially since Bishme and Tessa have been shown to be close. I'm watching you, Bishme. Don't be a jerk.

That bathing suit of Hester's was ridiculous, and for all the lip service paid to "color! color! COLOR!", everyone was sure relieved that the suit could be worn in black. hahahahahaha.

Venny's dress would have been fine without the ruffle. I thought it was cute otherwise.

I am over Garo. He's not all that. His dress looked terrible! The neckline was all wonky. A deep V and a slit?

Tessa, Lela and Sebastian should have won. That was a joke.

• Love 21

I feel like having a reoccurring stylist was an attempt to separate this current incarnation from the past and it's not working out as intended by producers. She doesn't seem to say anything insightful or add a lot to the show. It was a nice idea, but I don't see it being a thing going forward. If there is a next season, Marni will probably be involved in a single episode styling challenge where she's a judge, and I'm fine with that. They may also make her a permanent judge, and I'm not so fine with that. 

Sebastian, the talented and handsome man that designs his own speedos, was robbed of course.

• Love 14

I forgot to say, I LOVED Christian's aaaaaannnddddd......????? facial expression when Tessa and Lela very enthusiastically told him their story inspiration for their collection 

• LOL 11
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I would like to point out that Karlie never said the names that got pulled out of the bag were actually team leaders, but somehow Tessa and Hester interpreted that as being in charge.

OMG - and then Tessa started explaining at length about why she was picking the people she picked.  Lady, no one asked for an essay.  Pick 2 people. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 14
(edited)
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I think fictional tv shows and movies have given viewers a false sense of what a stylist looks like. Sometimes they look like perfectly glamorous individuals with exquisite taste, but just as often they look like kooks. Dressing like weirdo is completely ok in fashion circles. Andre Leon Talley has been known to style on occassion; he's also a heavy 6 foot 6 inch Black man walking around caftans and furs. Isabella Blow and Grace Coddington are other examples. Both styled from time to time and both also dress/dressed unusually. Karl Lagerfeld dressed like a 300 year old vampire addicted to skinny jeans. While not a stylist, Rick Owens' wife, Michele Lamy is his muse; she dresses like a death metal ghoul. I think people forget that when Rachel Zoe came on the scene she was a curtain of hair, sunglasses, and drowning in clothing. 

I agree. It was the beginning of an interesting idea that needed some time to percolate. Unfortunately, he didn't have that time so it did end up looking weird.

Morena has horrible red carpet instincts. She either goes too avant garde, which doesn't suit her, or romantic, but kind of basic, which turns her into generic Hollywood beauty ver 27.

I've known a lot of stylists in my day and most of them are fairly nondescript people who you wouldn't notice because they put their effort into their work.  I think tv has created the stylist who looks like Marni giving the false sense that a stylist has to be a personality.

I know ALT and he is larger than life in every way.  He's grown into the 'character' he is now.  Trust me, he wasn't wearing caftans and furs (well, maybe furs) when he was Ms. Vreeland's protege or during most of his time at Vogue.  I met Isabella a few times and she was known for her 'look' and being a designer's muse.  Any work as a stylist were side projects.  Karl Lagerfeld started dressing that way when he decided that he wanted to be a 'star'.  Early pictures of Karl show a pretty ordinary looking guy.  And Kaiser Karl wasn't a stylist. 

Edited by mightysparrow
Edited to add: ALT probably always had a fur coat
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
(edited)

All the designers picked totally cliche "Rio" carnival colors. Really? 

Cannot take Marnie seriously. 

None of my clothes have a story. Can't the story just be these are stylish clothes that are relevant to the situation? 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 18
(edited)
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

BWAHAHAHAHA I died laughing when she oh so seriously said "we decided on a theme, we picked Breakfast at Tiffany's!" For one, that's hardly original. For two, the ridiculously frou frou, overworked rags Kendall was sporting would have given Audrey Hepburn a conniption.

Why did they have to come up with a story at all? Wasn't the actress they were designing for their "story"? An actress from Brazil who now lives in LA but heads home to hang on the beach with her kids, go shopping and to lunch in town, and go out dancing at night? These tormented, unimaginative "stories" are so silly. "She's a girl who's going on vacation so she can just forget all the stress in her life". Right. Just like anyone who's going on vacation. Sheesh.

I was coveting Renee's jacket HARD. That was a big old slab of awesome, right there.

Tessa was right. Its what everyone here is saying. It didn't look like it fazed Hester, in any case--they've been shown to be buddies, and they were sitting next to each other on the couch looking perfectly friendly in the next scene.

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT! Bishme is turning out to be quite the priggish little bitch, in my opinion. He spits venom at Tessa at breakfast because he thinks her (admittedly far from perfect, but perfectly serviceable) outfit wasn't on the bottom, along with his nightmare of a outfit that almost got him sent home. That was the judges' decision, not Tessa's, so why was he mad at her? That he and Renee felt compelled to pile on her left a very bad taste in my mouth, especially since Bishme and Tessa have been shown to be close. I'm watching you, Bishme. Don't be a jerk.

That bathing suit of Hester's was ridiculous, and for all the lip service paid to "color! color! COLOR!", everyone was sure relieved that the suit could be worn in black. hahahahahaha.

Venny's dress would have been fine without the ruffle. I thought it was cute otherwise.

I am over Garo. He's not all that. His dress looked terrible! The neckline was all wonky. A deep V and a slit?

Tessa, Lela and Sebastian should have won. That was a joke.

Well said.

I don't know why they felt the need to come up with a 'story' for their designs when they were creating clothes for a real life woman who has her own story. 

Everyone was VERY relieved when they found out that Hester's creation was reversible. 

I agree with you about Bishme going after Tessa in the morning and then calling her out for doing the same thing the next day.  He might be over Tessa (don't blame him) but he needs to keep that to himself.  I was disappointed with Renee but I got the feeling it was more a case of backing Bishme than going after Tessa.  Still, she should have kept quiet.  But my spidey senses started tingling when they showed that because Renee has been very quiet and she spoke more in the first 15 minutes of this episode than she has in all the previous episodes.  Her jacket was amazing though.  They need to put that up on the website.  I know it would outsell everything else.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

I hope Nina is pissed next week when she discovers Renee is gone.

At least Renee is too much of a class act to criticise a model...unlike some designers.

Tessa and Lela were like a couple of rich high school mean girls with a pet gay to run their errands.

Renee did criticize Kate back when Nadine was going on about her.  But everything she (and Nadine) said about Kate was spot on as the the rest of us have seen over the weeks.  I guess it's ironic that Kate plodded down the runway in Renee's AWFUL pants.  The funny thing about Renee's pants is that, along with the terrible design, they looked like they needed a good ironing.  In the meantime, Jamal is ironing LYCRA!!!

• Love 5
13 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

13 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I'm sorry but I don't know anyone that would look at Marni and think to themselves, I want her to dress me!

13 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Stop pushing Marni the stylist on us! She liked the notswimmingsuit/ice skater outfit, ‘nuff said.  And of course they got rid of the last older woman in the group. 

I just don’t get what they see in Hester. If she wins I’m done with this show.

13 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Marni is a poor man's version of a combination of Betsey Johnson, and Rachel Zoe (Marni even used Rachel's famous line about "bananas").  When I saw her wearing those stupid Christ off the cross earrings, I was like "WTF"???  

But, I have to admit, I did giggle when I saw her standing next to Karlie - she looked like a little girl!

ETA:  Marni lost any little bit of respect I may have wanted to have for her when she said she is Kendall Jenner's stylist.  I have such a horrible aversion to any and all things Kardashian/Jenner, it was over for me!  

12 hours ago, rustyspigot said:

Really though. It looked like she fell out of a dryer and whatever stuck to her by static cling she wore at the beginning of the episode.

Nina probably would have had a heart attack over Renee's pants so maybe it was for the best she had a "fever" (read: didn't want to go out in the snow)

12 hours ago, Plums said:

I feel like I'm going insane, lol. I HATED Hester's look. HATED. IT. Like, I wanted to cover my eyes as it came down the runway, I thought it was so ridiculous and ugly. And then they were all talking about how wonderful and wearable(!?) it is and gave her the win, and I just. I am speechless about how much I don't understand what just happened. The only thing I agree with is Renee's look being the loser. I don't understand why Team Lela, Sebastian, and Tessa didn't get the top spot. I guess Morena Baccarin has deplorable taste? the only look I liked at all in the top group was Bishme's. He should have won.

Hester does not deserve to have won three times. Just because she has a consistently executed aesthetic doesn't mean it's a good aesthetic.

WHY DO THEY KEEP IGNORING SEBASTIAN!!???!! 

Marni’s look in the work room was 1880’s schoolmarm from the waist up and 1980’s mall rat from the waist down. Two looks that should never go together.

11 hours ago, Ashforth said:

The pants were poorly cut and made, Renee acknowledged that, but Kate is a terrible runway model. A glaring omission in this iteration of PR is any explanation of how the models are eliminated. Kate's been on the bottom multiple times, she plods down the runway, they should not be keeping her just because she is big. I'm not going to say "curvy" because to me, she is not noticeably shapely, she's just kinda fat. Which I can say because so am I. 

11 hours ago, Lemons said:

Models are more about proportions so heavier models can look as good as thinner    ones in the clothes when they have the right proportions.  The walk and the way they carry themselves too is important too.  Kate is just dumpy and I think they keep her for potential drama.

The horrible fit with those pants looked like they were made by a middle schooler in sewing class.  Made no sense because she’s way more talented than that. 

I just realized this model looked like previously annoying PR contestant Kenly. There are so many beautiful plus sized models out there that can really work a runway...why the hell did they pick a woman who walks like a confused wildebeest? She is adding to the stereotype that plus sized women can not be graceful and as a woman who could stand to lose a few pounds, I really resent this.

TLO has their excellent analysis of this episode up.

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2019/05/project-runway-season-17-episode-8-blame-it-on-rio-bravo-tv-reviews/

• Love 11

Hester must have drones air-dropping theme clothing and accessories into the PR apartments for her, because how else could she have 'just happened' to bring along a midriff-baring top and tropical fruit headwrap, etc., to a show being filmed in mid winter? 

Marni seems very nice, but she's kinda hideous. 

I actually thought Jamal's 'thing' could have been cute as a real swimsuit (minus all the dangling netting). 

Hester's model (?name?) is so very cute, and she looks freakishly like Shaunette Renee Wilson, from The Resident.  Also, I refuse to believe Morena Baccarin would ever wear that swimsuit.

I would actually buy Renee's plaid pieced jacket, too bad she just couldn't cope with the team challenges.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Lemons said:

Bishme was robbed.  And what were they going on about those yellow pants being  dropped crotch?  They weren’t dropped crotch.   That model Kate still clomps down the runway and designers are going to do what they can to not get stuck with her. She’s horrible. 

I don’t know how she’s a model...she cannot walk at all!

• Love 9
13 hours ago, heyjupiter said:

Ehhh, they precided over seasons with Erin and Ashley winning, so they aren’t blameless and they let the twins on. 

That was the previous production company.  This one has a clean copybook which they are blotting up right and left.

Bishme should have won.

Kate, the model, has another victim.  How many people has she sent home now?  She makes zero effort to make the garment look good on the runway.

Rene is the coolest person ever!  She was cracking up when Brandon was on his rant about how crappy her pants were.  She told Venny not to take things personally, it wasn't the end of the world.  And now she gets to get married!

Hester has the worst posture I've ever seen.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The most hilarious part about Marni discussing Kendall's Breakfast at Tiffany's theme was that she used the word conservative to describe what she wore. Apparently anything that doesn't have your boobs overflowing or your ass hanging out is deemed conservative by the Jenner/Kardashian clan.

I agree that it seems unnecessary to have a story when you're putting together three outfits for vacation. My story is I'm going to the beach, I'm going out in the afternoon, and then I'm going to dinner. My story is that I'm on vacation. Coming up with a story is so extraneous. Did ANYONE look at Kendall's outfits at Cannes or wherever she was and say, "Wow, I'm really getting a Breakfast at Tiffany's vibe! I definitely wouldn't have thought that if I'd seen only the first dress but now that I've seen everything she wore while she was here, she was clearly inspired by Audrey Hepburn!"? My guess is NO.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Hester is making a mallet swimsuit. 

2 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Funniest line of the season.  Little Miss Fashion Expert doesn't know that it's a MAILLOT.

Bwahahaha!  I though she meant "mullet" swimsuit.   Huh.  That works too...

• Love 4
15 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Sebastian is still by far the best designer and the group. Hester is headed for a fall.

From your lips to God's ears.  I fracken hate Hester.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Hester's model (?name?) is so very cute, and she looks freakishly like Shaunette Renee Wilson, from The Resident.  Also, I refuse to believe Morena Baccarin would ever wear that swimsuit.

I think Hester's model is the best one.  The designers seem to gush over Mimi, who is good, but I think Hester's model from this week is the best.  I just tried to find her name in vain.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I refuse to believe Morena Baccarin would ever wear that swimsuit.

My mother's comment regarding that suit would have been a practical 'You'd end up with a funny looking tan...'

And she'd be right. Plus, despite the judge's gushing it wasn't anything new. Looked kinda 70's or maybe 80's to me, both design and color wise.

• Love 9