Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E16 : Top 8

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Each contestant takes on a song from the legendary Queen catalogue before partnering up for classic movie duet performances. Guest mentor Adam Lambert helps prepare the Top 8 to rock the stage live from coast to coast.

What the hell was up with the audio tonight?  I could barely hear any of Alejandro's performance or his duet.   That was awkward and horrible.

Alej butchered Under Pressure.  Wade Cota butchered We are the Champions.

• Love 14

Would have been nice to have one of the contestants take Bohemian Rhapsody instead of the guest singer?

The Mrs. Robinson performance by Alejandro and Walker was my favourite of the night.

Was REALLY shocked when Walker left and Wade stayed.  Reverse that and I would have been happy.

• Love 8

Adam Lambert is so hot.   

As someone who has seen Queen with Adam Lambert in concert 7 times I was really looking forward to this week.  Then I remembered this was American Idol and they were going to make a mess of the songs.

I don't hear what the judges hear at all. 

• Love 17

I'm loving Laci more and more each week. I love her rendition of "Love of my Life". It was very moving. Wade really stunk up WATC. Very poor performance. What were those judges thinking?

Agreed, about Alejandro. The sound mix was really off for his solo and I too was not crazy about his rendition, although I generally like his performances.

• Love 4

America got it right...... Walker and Alyssa out...... no shock.     Wade looked stunned like maybe he knew he didn't nail it....... he didn't, but I'm glad he went through because I like his voice...... that song was all wrong for him.   Madison gets my vote for performance of the night.    Alejandro's version of "Under Pressure" started kind of weak..... but it got better..... and he can rock that guitar...... Overall .....Queen music is tough to pull off for anyone...... Freddie was just that great.     But Adam Lambert has that same kind of theatrical presence that can come close.   And that's exactly what was said about him when he completed on idol.

• Love 3

Wade looked absolutely stunned from the minute his name was called until the show ended.  He probably still doesn’t believe he is still there.

I wish they had let Adam sing instead of that little kid on the piano. Could have done without that. 

• Love 19

I'm a total PITA where "Somebody to Love" is concerned, but I thought Alyssa did a really good job with it. I actually haven't seen the Disney episode yet, but this was the first show I saw her actually moving around and having fun on stage. I would have been happy if she were the one that survived out of the last three.

• Love 8

I lost interest about 2/3 of the way through. This has really turned into a bummer of a season for me. The stellar singers (Madison and Jeremiah) are trending towards technically great but sort of boring/uninspiring. The most interesting character (Wade) can’t sing. The kid the show wants to win (Laine) does the same exact performance every week. The guy everyone says is some sort of prodigy (Alejandro) barely sings loud enough for me to hear him. And my favorite from the earlier rounds (Laci) hasn’t done much recently to keep me interested. 

Meanwhile Katy Perry continues to annoy me week after week ( did we need to imply barely 18 year old Laine and 23 year old Laci have something going on?). Luke and Bobby Bones are both wastes of space. Lionel only gives good advice when people are eliminated and even Ryan seems off his game. 

Still think this thing is Laine’s to lose but tonight I found myself not caring who went home at all.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
13 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

What the hell was up with the audio tonight?  I could barely hear any of Alejandro's performance or his duet.   That was awkward and horrible.

Yeah, I didn't mind the arrangement, but the vocals felt a bit weak at times. Which is a shame, because I do think they would compliment each other vocally.

And on the note of the duets, why not just have them after the Queen songs, instead of in between? It would've felt a little less disjointed that way. 

Wade Cota butchered We are the Champions.

Yeeeeeeah, I wasn't all that big on that performance, either. It reminded me a bit of Disturbed's version of "The Sound of Silence", which I really don't like. 

Also, for Queen night, a lot of the performances felt kinda...slow and sleepy. We've seen these people do a lot of slower/acoustic/soft performances thus far, it would've been nice to see more of them just rock out for a change tonight, and choose some of Queen's more fun, upbeat songs instead. 

(That being said, I do think Laci's performance was really pretty.)

As for Adam Lambert, it's been a while since I've seen him, so it totally threw me when he showed up with the long hair :p. He was a good mentor, though. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Madison: I really want to connect to the emotion of the song.

Also Madison ::with a big smile:: Inside my heart is breaking!

She was starting to grow on me the last couple of weeks. but the inappropriate smiling was too much for me tonight.  One of my pet peeves.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

Yeeeeeeah, I wasn't all that big on that performance, either. It reminded me a bit of Disturbed's version of "The Sound of Silence", which I really don't like. 

TAKE THAT BACK!  TAKE THAT BAAAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!  LOL

I love Disturbed.   That voice.  Yum.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

He was not my favorite contestant this season but I was sad tonight that Uche went home before Queen night. No one else was up to the challenge. 

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 19

In general, I'm not in favor of these theme nights.  Queen songs are not right for everybody.  Disney songs are not right for ... anybody.  Just let them sing the types of songs that best reflect the artists they want to be.

Just now, TeeMo said:

He was not my favorite contestant this season but so was sad tonight that Uche went home before Queen night. No one else was up to the challenge. 

I would have loved seeing what he would do tonight.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I thought Adam's mentoring advice was really good but didn't hear a lot of the fruits of his labor.  Not sure it's possible but at least we can hear what he told them.

Thought that Laci ruined her song by signing on a stool with that huge guitar on her lap.  I'm beginning to see how that is a crutch for some people.   It definitely forms a barrier.  And the actual guitar playing was not impactful.

I did laugh when Adam told Wade not to take the mic out of the stand and then the first shot is Wade holding the mic.  That got a literally LOL from me.   Sure he meant later in the song (I guess) but that's not how the edit was so it was humorous to me.

Also funny was when Wade said he was going to do WATC because he sang the song so many times on the road and the Reality TV editing mind in me said "that would be hilarious if he messed up the words" which actually wasn't very likely.....and then.....there ya go....

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

He was not my favorite contestant this season but so was sad tonight that Uche went home before Queen night. No one else was up to the challenge. 

Ooo interesting!  This would have been a fun pairing for sure!!!!  Dang.

3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

@HappyDancex2, LOL, yeah, it's just not my thing. Too...dramatic, or something, I dunno. But to each their own, of course :). I will say his voice sounded better than Wade's did tonight, so...

I was just kidding...it was just appropo reference by you because I just heard the song on Friday.  It IS very dramatic and dark....almost in a forced way because it doesn't actually sound like a Disturbed song to me.

And then something ironic about talking about Disturbed on an American Idol forum.  Like wuh?!

• Love 1

Walker - Goofy but the song suited him.

Madison - Great voice. A force to be reckon with for sure.

Laci and Laine - Great performance! First time I like Laci.

Jeremiah - He's done better. Very boring song. Looked lost without the piano or guitar.

Alejandro - His performance just wasn't good. You don't change a Queen song that much.

Alyssa and Wade - She sounded great but Wade didn't. Her voice over powered his.

Madison and Jeremiah - They sounded great but once again the female was much better. Madison was much better.

Laine - For the first time Laine looked uncomfortable. His voice was ok, not great. I think he's fallen some.

Laci - I liked the duet better. She did look pretty though.

Walker and Alejandro - First of all, I couldn't hear them. Their spin on this classic just didn't work.

Wade - Can you say BUTCHER? He was basically talking throughout the song. Awful!!!

Alyssa - She sounded great tonight although she tries too hard to move around and interact with the crowd. Her singing sometimes suffers because of it.

The judges once again prove they are worthless. They just don't do anything to help the contestants. Wade was awful and forgot the lyrics but they brushed it off like it was nothing.

Wade and Alejandro should've gone home!! 

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, Jayohgee said:

In general, I'm not in favor of these theme nights.  Queen songs are not right for everybody.  Disney songs are not right for ... anybody.  Just let them sing the types of songs that best reflect the artists they want to be.

I always liked the decades themes because those gave so much leeway and so many styles.  That said, the highlight of the night for me was seeing Adam Lambert.   I really liked him as a mentor. 

My favorite song of the night was Mrs. Robinson.

• Love 4

The clapping during Mrs. Robinson was so annoying.  Way to read the song...

Wade is awful, can't believe he went through.

They need to shut up about Jeremiah's back story.  Leave it alone.

Katy is so cringe worthy.

Alejandro is so sweet and humble.  Compare that to Alyssa's attitude.

Adam is great!

• Love 5

I don't much about Katy Perry on American Idol but is she always this thirsty?   I get the whole costume schtick she does...that's fine.  She's a flamboyant performer and personality.   But she doesn't come off as an authority for me....just a performance judge.

She uses that low dramatic voice to make it sound like she's saying something meaningful but she isn't.   That whole thing with Laci and Laine was uncomfortable.  And unnecessary.  And quite frankly I didn't feel it.  But certainly when she saw the joke going south she didn't bail.

It's like she can't read the room.   Her dice misunderstanding wasn't a big deal and then she had to stretch out her moment by falling on the floor, not coming up and then popping her head on the table?   That's so unprofessional.  gah

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, observer said:

I don't know what Wade was doing, but I certainly wouldn't call it singing.  Made me laugh when Luke called it a character voice.

Here it is, done by Adam Lambert:

and by Freddie:

Yaaaaaaaaaas!

I really love Adam's crown.  Been looking for one ever since last year LOL.  It's hard to find one that will fit around your forehead and not sitting on your head.   He's spectacular.

Oh and in the concert he hip thrusts.   Dude works every song LOL

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Her dice misunderstanding wasn't a big deal and then she had to stretch out her moment by falling on the floor, not coming up and then popping her head on the table?   That's so unprofessional.  gah

Lionel sounded a little annoyed as he kept telling her to get up. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Yaaaaaaaaaas!

I really love Adam's crown.  Been looking for one ever since last year LOL.  It's hard to find one that will fit around your forehead and not sitting on your head.   He's spectacular.

Oh and in the concert he hip thrusts.   Dude works every song LOL

I feel like Adam should have come out after each Idol contestant butchered their respective Queen songs to show them how it’s done. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, timesywimesy said:

I feel like Adam should have come out after each Idol contestant butchered their respective Queen songs to show them how it’s done. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA.   Then they should have saved Queen for the last episode of the season.  And after he kills the performance they vote off all of the contestants and then crown him the winner of American Idol LOL.   Better late....

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

Walker - Goofy but the song suited him.

Madison - Great voice. A force to be reckon with for sure.

Laci and Laine - Great performance! First time I like Laci.

Jeremiah - He's done better. Very boring song. Looked lost without the piano or guitar.

Alejandro - His performance just wasn't good. You don't change a Queen song that much.

Alyssa and Wade - She sounded great but Wade didn't. Her voice over powered his.

Madison and Jeremiah - They sounded great but once again the female was much better. Madison was much better.

Laine - For the first time Laine looked uncomfortable. His voice was ok, not great. I think he's fallen some.

Laci - I liked the duet better. She did look pretty though.

Walker and Alejandro - First of all, I couldn't hear them. Their spin on this classic just didn't work.

Wade - Can you say BUTCHER? He was basically talking throughout the song. Awful!!!

Alyssa - She sounded great tonight although she tries too hard to move around and interact with the crowd. Her singing sometimes suffers because of it.

The judges once again prove they are worthless. They just don't do anything to help the contestants. Wade was awful and forgot the lyrics but they brushed it off like it was nothing.

Wade and Alejandro should've gone home!!

I agree. That’s who I’d have sent home anyway. And I’m still not happy about last week’s results. OK... I could probably be good with Uché being gone—I think maybe he was more of a showman overall, which may not really be what the show’s looking for—but I’m pissed about Demetrius. I think America’s definitely getting it wrong this season.

I think I understand why they originally voted Alejandro through to Hollywood (had I been a judge, I would’ve too—even if the others didn’t), but he’s totally losing whatever he had that was special now. And I don’t think it’s a good thing he keeps saying in his pre-performance packages that he still doesn’t know the lyrics of whatever he’s doing that week. If that remains consistent, I think that should be an issue with his staying on—if it’s an issue of he’s just not spending enough time rehearsing/learning & memorizing them, as opposed to some sort of learning difference, like dyslexia, that may be impeding him there.

Except for Katy being too goofy, I don’t mind the judges that much (but Luke Bryan’s done 2 of his concerts he does in local farm fields in communities so close to my hometown they’re basically part of my hometown in recent years, & I’ve liked Lionel Richie’s music for a long time & we’re both native Alabamians), but of the most recent judging panels I really liked the Keith Urban, J Lo, & Harry Connick Jr. panel the best because of all the technical musical instruction that at least Harry & Keith tried to impart to the contestants in their critiques, instead of just saying something like “Great performance... you’re gonna be a star!” or, simply, “That was pitchy, dawg.”

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments and fix a spacing issue.
  • Love 3

I watched for Adam.  I thought he was an excellent mentor. 

As for the Top 6, I disagreed with "America." Big Wade has zero ability; zero. I mean,  he can't even talk his way through a tune.  Alejandro is just a half-rung above him. 

Why the show had Laine sing the decidedly non-PC "Fat-Bottomed Girls," I do not know. He would've been great with "Crazy Little Thing Called Love."

I think it'll come down to him and Blondie.

• Love 8

I find myself wondering if I am being punked by having Alejandro on this show. His voice seems so weak and just.... not impressive in any way. 

And then Wade... never been a fan but after a couple of folks here commented about his voice sounding different during a rehearsal, I've realized I think his voice is too affected and doesn't sound genuine. 

I liked the little kid! Normally I hate stuff like that, but I was impressed. That kid has music in his veins. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I watched for Adam.  I thought he was an excellent mentor. 

As for the Top 6, I disagreed with "America." Big Wade has zero ability; zero. I mean,  he can't even talk his way through a tune.  Alejandro is just a half-rung above him. 

Why the show had Laine sing the decidedly non-PC "Fat-Bottomed Girls," I do not know. He would've been great with "Crazy Little Thing Called Love."

I think it'll come down to him and Blondie.

I'm trying to figure out if I've ever heard We are the Champions sung worse than Wade.  EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And I don't mind his guttural put on voice in this competition....give me something to watch.   But the look on my face tonight was pure horror.

4 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

I find myself wondering if I am being punked by having Alejandro on this show. His voice seems so weak and just.... not impressive in any way. 

And then Wade... never been a fan but after a couple of folks here commented about his voice sounding different during a rehearsal, I've realized I think his voice is too affected and doesn't sound genuine. 

I liked the little kid! Normally I hate stuff like that, but I was impressed. That kid has music in his veins. 

What happened to Alejandro???????????   I was impressed by him in the early rounds but now I have no idea what I'm watching.   His voice seems so weak and frail.....I don't even see him constructing a song with highs and lows.....they are all just lows. 

Is he hoping for John Mayer (hahahahaha) or Jack Johnson week?  I had the sneaking suspicion that the judges were saving their Save for him but at this pace I've seen ENOUGH.  

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

What happened to Alejandro???????????   I was impressed by him in the early rounds but now I have no idea what I'm watching.   His voice seems so weak and frail.....I don't even see him constructing a song with highs and lows.....they are all just lows. 

Is he hoping for John Mayer (hahahahaha) or Jack Johnson week?  I had the sneaking suspicion that the judges were saving their Save for him but at this pace I've seen ENOUGH.  

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I kinda think he wants to lose around now since he's already gotten a huge boost in social media following (545k on instagram) and the winner's contract is shit.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, stcroix said:

I think Adam was being kind by not singing more while mentoring this crew.  The comparison would be ludicrous!

Truer words were never spoken, stcroix.  And Katy Perry, "You really embodied the spirit of Freddie Mercury with that performance." No, Katy, just no.

Freddie:

Adam:

Okay, so one might think that having Queen as band makes the difference.  But here is Adam, same song, without Queen.

and here's Jeremiah:

Edited by observer
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, observer said:

Truer words were never spoken, stcroix.  And Katy Perry, "You really embodied the spirit of Freddie Mercury with that performance." No, Katy, just no.

Freddie:

Adam:

Okay, so one might think that having Queen as band makes the difference.  But here is Adam, same song, without Queen.

and here's Jeremiah:

Never has it been so painfully obvious that the majority of this years AI finalists are mediocre at best. 

Even on his own season of American Idol, Adam already had the chops and the presence to pull off that song as masterfully as he does today. This group, not so much. 

• Love 7

This showed one thing - just how amazing Queen songs can be with the right singer. They are brilliantly written and need singers with soul, heart and an ability to tap into both deep emotion and a sense of camp. Sometimes all at once.

Which we saw precious little of tonight, Painfully karaoke the whole time. I don't think anyone really acquitted themselves well (though I did enjoy Alejandro's arrangement - he at least tried to do something original).

And it shows just how Adam Lambert is a once-in-a-generation singer. He's in a class of his own, who can take these remarkable songs and make them sound fresh while still respectful of the legacy that he's a part of. And he's such a good mentor... it's just a shame that so few of the contestants really took his words to heart.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

Wade looked absolutely stunned from the minute his name was called until the show ended.  He probably still doesn’t believe he is still there.

That makes two of us. God, is he AWFUL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Very disappointing performances. 

I thought Walker and Laci were the best last night and they have been my least favorite in past performances.

Madison was pretty good, but, as someone earlier pointed out, she showed the wrong emotion for this song.   I still want her to win, but I doubt that that will happen.  Laine will likely win just because this is really just a popularity contest and he is cute.

Did not think any of the others were good.  

I sure hope this is the last season for Katy Perry.  She brings nothing to the show but her constant need for attention and it is really annoying.  They should have just let her lay on the floor.

• Love 3

I'm not much of an Adam fan. I much preferred Kris. But I like him well enough and he was actually a great mentor. Granted, his mentoring didn't actually help any of them but still.

I am so glad Walker is gone. He took me back to high school choir and I wasn't feeling it lol. That being said though, my fave performance of the night was his duet with Alejandra. Sure, I could barely hear it, but it sounded nice lol.

I liked Alejandro tonight more than I have any of the other times I heard him. Same for Laine. And Laci was good for me again. I still love Wade.

The rest are just meh for me.

• Love 2

I watched this episode solely for Adam Lambert. He was the most spectacular Idol contestant ever! I spent some time watching a few of his Idol performances on YouTube yesterday evening before the show, and it reminded me how very far the show has fallen.  I was wondering how he would mentor this very blah group and I thought he was a great mentor. He treated each person with kindness and gave them constructive suggestions on how to deliver a song or improve their performance. Not winning Idol was probably the best thing that could have happened for Adam's career. I'm excited for the Queen/Adam show tonight.

Sometimes I wonder if I am seeing the same performance the judges are. For example, I thought Jeremiah was very unemotional and disconnected. I think he's a perfectly fine singer (though not a "powerhouse" as Bobby Bones stated) but there is nothing really unique or interesting about him.

I find Alejandro so boring, week in and week out. He just seems like your average busker to me, and I actually find his voice a little thin.

When Wade came out on stage and started speaking the words in his fake voice, I burst out laughing. I really wanted to watch him but my husband insisted I fast-forward since neither of us can bear the fake -- and quite terrible -- "singing" voice. I gathered from the judges comments that he screwed up (again) -- and they seemed to be attempting to gently guide the audience not to vote for him -- but alas. I do have to wonder if Vote for the Worst is still around?

ETA: This is a pretty good compilation of Adam's performance highlights from Season 8 (10 years ago!). 

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 8

Queen songs are not right for everybody.  Disney songs are not right for ... anybody.  Just let them sing the types of songs that best reflect the artists they want to be.

That's like saying let all the models in Vogue just wear their own clothes from their closet or laundry room.  AI is about SELLING SELLING SELLING. They did Disney because Disney wanted to market a movie, and their non-singer mentor has a new movie coming out (prob. by a Disney company.) They did Queen because, low and behold, there is a Queen special on tonight (I am DVRing it, thanks AI) I'm sure that if some Gregorian chanting record company give them enough money, all the contestants would be rockin' in Latin.

I loved Lionel telling Alyssa to , basically, not lose the terrible desperation she has about 15 minutes before getting cut. No one really likes her, do they?  I really think that it's her veneer of I HAVE TO HAAAAAVE THIS.  None of the other contestants have this vibe, and therefore, everything she did looked contrived--the Disney gowns, the reaching out to the audience.  All had that veener over it.  I M HO.

Alejandro, cannot be badly sound mixed EVERY SINGLE WEEK can he? I can't think of a less appropriate singing style for AI than his.

About 3 weeks ago most everyone was saying about how this was such a great and talented group.  Now Disney and Queen have put them all in the shitter.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm not much of an Adam fan.

Hee! You don't say? [/Survivor joke]

35 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am so glad Walker is gone. He took me back to high school choir and I wasn't feeling it lol.

Walker looked so surprised he was voted off. I think it's the first time he's been told "no" in his life. Bye, John Stevens 2.0.

Wade surviving does make me wonder if Vote for the Worst is still a thing, though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I'm a total PITA where "Somebody to Love" is concerned, but I thought Alyssa did a really good job with it

I agree; I thought this week she was hurt by song position--she gave her best performance of the season, but was already being not-voted on the basis of her body of work.  If she'd performed it earlier, she might still be there.

Queen is a great opportunity to showcase voices, or show weakness.  Some of both happened tonight. 

I don't much about Katy Perry on American Idol but is she always this thirsty?  

On this show, she has been--it's not clear as to why.  Hopefully someone reminds her of that Kurt Vonnegut line:  "Be careful who you pretend to be, for in the end, you ARE who you pretend to be."

• Love 3