Type keyword(s) to search

Hellboy (2019)

wanderingstar
  • Start Topic

Based on the graphic novels by Mike Mignola, Hellboy, caught between the worlds of the supernatural and human, battles an ancient sorceress bent on revenge.

I thought this was ok, but...unnecessary. I love the 2 Guillermo del Toro adaptations (Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army), and I didn't think we needed a reboot of this franchise. I think a continuation of the story would have been better. Plotwise, the film was a mess. It rehashes HB's origin story, which we already knew from the first movie. The characters' backstories are told via a series of disjointed flashbacks, and I'm sure this is what upped the film's run time to 121 minutes.

I also agree with one reviewer who called the gore in this movie numbing. If I never again see limbs ripped off or bodies torn in two on the big screen, it will be too soon.

Anyway, David Harbour was good - though I was not crazy about the makeup for HB. Daniel Dae Kim was fine, which pains me to say because I adore DDK. Poor Sasha Lane and Milla Jovovich didn't have enough to do. This is definitely one of those why-was-this-made movies.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

I just caught this on DVD and even though I had heard it wasn't great, I still found it shockingly bad. del Toro's movies did just about everything better. The special effects here looked terrible, the characters weren't interesting, the story wasn't very coherent, and, worst of all, it was boring.

I love David Harbour, but his Hellboy was unappealing. And the relationship between him and Ian McShane as his adoptive father wasn't convincing.

I enjoyed Neil Marshall's Dog Soldiers and The Descent, so expected this to at least be watchable. I don't understand how it went so wrong.