Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

Anticipation For Stumptown

Recommended Posts

Stumptown (fka untitled Cobie Smulders project, fka Bad Alibi, and fka Stumptown) is an ABC pilot for the 2019-2020 season

Quote

Dex Parios is a strong, assertive and unapologetically sharp-witted Army veteran working as a P.I. in Portland, OR. With a complicated personal history and only herself to rely on, she solves other people’s messes with a blind eye toward her own. Inspired by the graphic novels.

CAST: Cobie Smulders, Michael Ealy, Camryn Manheim, Adrian Martinez, Cole Sibus, Tantoo Cardinal

Share this post


Link to post

Coming to Wednesday nights this fall on ABC.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Cobie Smulders, Michael Ealy, AND Camryn Manheim?? I will definitely be checking this out for at least the initial run of episodes!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw the preview for this one and it looks great.  Too bad ABC gave it the kiss of death time slot.

Share this post


Link to post

The last 2 shows I watched Michael Ealy in were 1-season flops (Common Law and Almost Human) in which they made him half of a chemistry-less bromance. Pairing him with Cobie Smulders makes way more sense. Use your assets.


  

6 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Just saw the preview for this one and it looks great.  Too bad ABC gave it the kiss of death time slot.

 Yeah, Wednesdays 10/9 C means either a nap before or watch it later, but does live watching matter that much anymore to ratings? 

Edited by shapeshifter

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, Wednesdays 10/9 C means either a nap before or watch it later, but does live watching matter that much anymore to ratings? 

Personally, time slots mean nothing as I'm a streamer.  But apparently it does still matter for broadcast shows.  This past season, ABC put its first 2 pick ups in this time slot and both struggled.  A Million Little Things was put to a primo slot (between Grey's and HTGAWM) and pulled in ratings that were good enough to get it renewed.  Whiskey Cavalier wasn't given a second chance and got the axe.  Ironically, I think WC would have been quite the hit if it weren't in this time slot.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Kind of a bummer that they made Dex’s friend on the force that she has a romantic entanglement/history with a guy.  She’s a woman in the comics, and Dex is bisexual.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I had no reason to think anything much of this, but that trailer is actually really good.

I didn't read the comic, but hearing they unnecessarily fooled with the sexuality/gender of characters is a bit lame though. This is freaking 2019.  Are they THAT scared that Red States won't watch this?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well I guess it remains to be seen if she's bi in this (though it's network TV, so...), but yeah, the comic was very female-centric and I suspect ABC will want to stick a lot more dudes in there regardless.

I liked the trailer and think this is well cast, but have a feeling it might've been better off in the hands of Netflix or Hulu. In the comics, she's a bisexual veteran with PTSD, drinking and gambling problems. I can see ABC making her just a straight, wisecracking PI who occasionally has a beer after work and one Very Special Episode about war. She'll be brilliant-but-unconventional crime solver paired with the straight-laced male cop, and it'll be all very Castle/Bones/Elementary/Rosewood and case-of-the-week-ish. 

But hey, please prove me wrong, ABC.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, retrograde said:

Well I guess it remains to be seen if she's bi in this (though it's network TV, so...), but yeah, the comic was very female-centric and I suspect ABC will want to stick a lot more dudes in there regardless.

I liked the trailer and think this is well cast, but have a feeling it might've been better off in the hands of Netflix or Hulu. In the comics, she's a bisexual veteran with PTSD, drinking and gambling problems. I can see ABC making her just a straight, wisecracking PI who occasionally has a beer after work and one Very Special Episode about war. She'll be brilliant-but-unconventional crime solver paired with the straight-laced male cop, and it'll be all very Castle/Bones/Elementary/Rosewood and case-of-the-week-ish. 

But hey, please prove me wrong, ABC.

I too hope you are wrong, but everything in your post seems likely. They might do the wink wink hints of bisexuality a là Rizolli and Isles.

Anyway, if it's got some snappy dialogue that is well enunciated, I'll be satisfied.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Another love interest?

Also, no offense to Jake Johnson, but I'm not sure this proves the previous actors' claim that he was kicked off because he isn't "handsome enough." 

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, retrograde said:

no offense to Jake Johnson, but I'm not sure this proves the previous actors' claim that he was kicked off because he isn't "handsome enough." 

I understood it to mean that the original actor in the role, Mark Webber, was told that was the reason. I didn't recognize his name, so I Googled, and now I'm wondering if the people who fired him did the same thing and thought they were getting this Mark Webber, LOL:

image.png

Share this post


Link to post

After being burned by ABC with Forever and Whisky Cavalier, I want to get on board, but I’ll be cautious...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

‘Stumptown’ Spotlights Female Veterans And Indigenous Women; Cobie Smulders Addresses Character’s Bisexuality

Quote

Dex served in Afghanistan and is suffering from PTSD. The producers point out that it is not often that TV shows or movies explore the lives of women with PTSD and the show dives into that. “We all have PTSD in our lives — at different levels,” said Smulders. She adds that she read a lot about women in combat and she put her own experiences in there.

The character of Dex is sexually fluid. Smulders said that it will definitely be addressed in the series. “She’s definitely attracted to women and men,” Smulders said of Dex. “She tries to recover through her PTSD through sex. She’s up for anything — it’s one of the things that drew me to this character.”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/2/2019 at 2:50 PM, chitowngirl said:

After being burned by ABC with Forever and Whisky Cavalier, I want to get on board, but I’ll be cautious...

Whiskey Cavalier still hurts! But I like Cobie Smulders and this looks interesting, so I will give it a go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Even though this is up against S.W.A.T., I'm in because of Cobie. I'll just watch both- I'm DVRing anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I didn’t really have any interest in this show until like the sixth or seventh time I saw the previews.  Now I am really looking forward to it tonight.  I think this might be one of the few times watching a preview so many times actually convinced me to give a show a shot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size