Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E04: Failure to Launch

• Start Topic

A freak accident hits the Northwestern while Mandy is alone at the helm; Josh charts a new course on the Cornelia Marie; Harley's launcher snaps at the worst moment as the lights go out on the Wizard, so the captains try to keep the greenhorns alive.

Air date 04/30/19

I wish they'd be honest and say that Casey is the captain of the Cornelia Marie.  He is.  Josh is a relief captain and is there to play for the cameras primarily.

Poor Mandy.  Sig did forget to tell her a few things.  She was expecting to be berated by Sig but shockingly he handled it well.

The new captain on the Summer Wind made the right decision to focus on crabbing and not waste his time f'ing with Keith's pots.  That gives me hope for him.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, terrymct said:

I wish they'd be honest and say that Casey is the captain of the Cornelia Marie.  He is.  Josh is a relief captain and is there to play for the cameras primarily.

Poor Mandy.  Sig did forget to tell her a few things.  She was expecting to be berated by Sig but shockingly he handled it well.

The new captain on the Summer Wind made the right decision to focus on crabbing and not waste his time f'ing with Keith's pots.  That gives me hope for him.

I wish they'd be honest and admit that "Josh's sneaky string" was 100% contrived AFTER the crab had already been caught.   How easy it would have been to retro-engineer that bit of drama.  "Hey, I know, let's film a couple extra scenes where we make it appear that Josh and Casey came to loggerheads about where to set the pots and then mischievous Josh pulled a switcheroo and ignored Casey's orders after Casey went to sleep.  Then we make Josh look like a crab savant because the pots were full after all."

BULLSHIT on the whole scene.

I don't buy that Josh was able to enter Casey's cabin and steal his phone without Casey noticing.  I'm picturing Josh sneaking below deck on cartoon tiptoes like Tom and Jerry complete with piano notes.   Then when Casey comes back to the wheelhouse, Casey makes a big show of being sleepy-eyed and oh-so-conveniently fails to notice that his phone wasn't where he left it when he went to sleep and doesn't even ASK ABOUT IT.

Meanwhile, sneaky Josh makes cutesy faces for the camera as Casey scratches his head and tries to figure out where they are.  The only thing missing was a Mutley laugh.

The one thing about it that seemed halfway real was when Casey said "He thinks he's going to be a hero but he's a dipshit for doing this."

They must be paying Casey very well to play straight man to Josh.  Had the million dollar quota actually been at risk, I think Casey would have punched that smug expression right off asshole Josh's face.

I said to my couchmate last night, "Why do we even watch this anymore?"

This season is coming off as fake, fake, fake.  I don't buy either the manufactured "rivalry" between the "evil" Southern Wind and the Wizard.  "Harley" Davidson doesn't even seem to be into it although his snickering henchman "Munsey" is apparently all in.  

The music choices are more irritating than ever, too.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

everything you said @millennium!  I'm only watching tonight and just saw that farce of a set up for Josh to look good.  What an ass.  And the same for Harley's henchman.  Grow up and fish dude.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, millennium said:

This season is coming off as fake, fake, fake.  I don't buy either the manufactured "rivalry" between the "evil" Southern Wind and the Wizard.  "Harley" Davidson doesn't even seem to be into it although his snickering henchman "Munsey" is apparently all in.  

It's worth watching for the interactions between Mandy and Sig.  I think we're finally seeing some genuine mentorship and I'm learning things along with her.   The Northwestern has fairly consistently been one of the most professional of the boats across the seasons.  I'm hoping Sean stays in that category, too, despite his playing ball with Jake.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, terrymct said:

It's worth watching for the interactions between Mandy and Sig.  I think we're finally seeing some genuine mentorship and I'm learning things along with her.   The Northwestern has fairly consistently been one of the most professional of the boats across the seasons.  I'm hoping Sean stays in that category, too, despite his playing ball with Jake.

I like Mandy although Sig seems to be phoning it in now -- and still smoking despite the heart attacks.  But  as I watch the Northwestern scenes all I can think about is where's Edgar hiding?  Because we know he's there, just being kept off camera.  I thought about it as they did the bite-the-herring ceremony.   He has always been right there in the thick of it.   Him being kept out of sight only adds to the overall sense of fakery that permeates the show now.

• Love 4

I have noticed that posts to this forum have dropped off steadily in the last few seasons (only three of us have posted comments about this week's episode).   I wonder if it reflects a declining viewership nationally.   I wouldn't be at all surprised.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, millennium said:

I like Mandy although Sig seems to be phoning it in now -- and still smoking despite the heart attacks.  But  as I watch the Northwestern scenes all I can think about is where's Edgar hiding?  Because we know he's there, just being kept off camera.  I thought about it as they did the bite-the-herring ceremony.   He has always been right there in the thick of it.   Him being kept out of sight only adds to the overall sense of fakery that permeates the show now.

I thought he and Mandy were having a discussion about the fact that he had quit smoking (two months ago?).  They were joking about how much he had spent on cigarettes over the years.  I don't recall seeing him smoke since Mandy joined the crew.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I thought he and Mandy were having a discussion about the fact that he had quit smoking (two months ago?).  They were joking about how much he had spent on cigarettes over the years.  I don't recall seeing him smoke since Mandy joined the crew.

There was a scene when he went downstairs and left Mandy alone, then suddenly rushed back upstairs.   It sure looked like he had a pack of cigarettes resting on the pad he was carrying.

It is so obvious that Josh is only in the wheelhouse because he's part owner of the Cornelia Marie (and a Disco famewhore).  Casey is the Captain; Josh's co-captain title is largely symbolic.  I hope Disco's paying Casey the big bucks to put up with Josh's poseur ways ...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, millennium said:

There was a scene when he went downstairs and left Mandy alone, then suddenly rushed back upstairs.   It sure looked like he had a pahck of cigarettes resting on the pad he was carrying.

I'll watch for it!

Mandy protesting it wasn't her fault is a very bad look.  What are they teaching at that school she went to?  If you are in that chair EVERYTHING is on you.  

What is with the wiring on these F/V's?  Does nobody get how critical electricity is to safety?  No hardening?  No overkill as to tolerances and loads?  The Wizard is now throwing off more than a million in profit annually.  Did Keith go cheap on the refitting a couple of years ago?

• Love 1
On 5/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, hacman00 said:

Casey is also a co-owner of the boat so he benefits from having the CM featured on Disco. No Josh=No air time. There are a total of 4 owners. Josh, Casey, and 2 other investors.  Josh has the largest stake.

Who owns the Cornelia Marie?

I thought that Josh and Casey had to sell their shares a few years back.  Maybe they have been able to buy some back recently.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

I thought that Josh and Casey had to sell their shares a few years back.  Maybe they have been able to buy some back recently.

I think they had to allow a couple of investors to take part ownership, but that they still held onto part of it.

• Love 1

Finally caught this episode (it conflicted with the season finale of Curse of Oak Island okay).

I believe more than ever that Jake A is getting the "can't find crab" edit.    Only because Disco cannot help trying to promote Josh as the genetically perfect captain.   He miraculously knows how much crab is in the tank, even though he is not doing the calculations.   Even better than more experienced Casey.   He knows where the find the crab on instinct overriding Casey.   If Josh who started at the same time and had to earn the captain's chair, not inherit it, also does well there goes that storyline.   So Jake has to be terrible and depend on others to find crab.

Disco can't do anything about how amazing Sean is.   So they just don't put Josh's storyline too close to his.

• Love 1
On 5/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, millennium said:

There was a scene when he went downstairs and left Mandy alone, then suddenly rushed back upstairs.   It sure looked like he had a pack of cigarettes resting on the pad he was carrying.

If it's the scene you're referring to, he came back into the wheelhouse with a couple of bottles of water with his cell phone on top.  He had been in the galley when the banging on the rail happened, followed by the loud signal with the red flashing light.

• Love 1