Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E03: Knife in the Ribs

• Start Topic

Jake's deckboss gets stabbed; Josh and Casey hurry to haul full pots until an accident-prone deckhand gets tangled up in the coiler as the first arctic storm of the season touches down; Captain Bill attempts to inspire a lazy greenhorn.

Air date 04/23/19

Jake's deckboss was very lucky that knife didn't do more damage.  Never stash a knife in your front pouch pocket.

• Love 3

No way would Casey have gone along with heading back to port if he thought there wasn't enough crab on board to make quota.  He knew they were fine.  I suspect this is a redemption attempt on the part of the show, because NO ONE seems to like Josh.

Didn't work for me.

• Love 5

So I wonder who called Jake up on the Saga and told him where the crab were this time. Either it's Disco manipulating us every other episode for the last umpty seasons, or Jake really couldn't find a crab even at a swingers' party. He's obviously a competent enough vessel master, and he knows the mechanics of the boats, but he's not particularly adept at the core competency of his business. Now he wants to be part owner? Sheesh.

I have to wonder if Sig ever schooled Jake on the finer points of pinpointing his quarry, because to this landlubber it sure doesn't look like he did (or the lessons didn't stick). Obviously not every string will hit, but for the most part, Sig, Keith, and Sean usually seem to be able to find decent numbers sooner rather than later. And while I like the idea of Sean and Jake working together (seems logical if you're both after the same thing, and you're both somewhat honorable), it seems that Jake just doesn't have the knack of getting on the bite early. 

Disco editing.    We really dont' have a timeline of how long they are out there.   Keith told that new guy on the Summer Wind that his pots were on a 5 day soak.   That means when we saw him hauling, he was at least 6 days of running boat out.   But hey, he hit big "right away."   We don't see all the pots they pull that are in the middle.   Only what we are told are the first pots of the season then all of sudden they are almost done.   

If Jake were really having so much trouble finding crab, costing the owners money in terms of fuel, food, etc. they wouldn't have him back as Captain.   Unless Jake's "troubles" are normal business and everyone else is edited to look awsome.   

Speaking of boat owners -- Jake wants to buy in on the Saga.   Good for him.   Sean wants to expand and get another boat.   Good for him.   I like to see the young guys planning for the future.   They can't fish for ever, but as owners they will always get a share.    Sean has a real level head.   I can see him challenging the Northwestern's business some day.   

That other young guy on the CM continues to be a waste of space.   Sitting around lounging in the spare chair in the wheelhouse while Casey does the real work.   He wasn't even around for the medical stuff.   Just sitting in the wheelhouse.   

• Love 3
On 4/26/2019 at 8:20 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

So I wonder who called Jake up on the Saga and told him where the crab were this time. Either it's Disco manipulating us every other episode for the last umpty seasons, or Jake really couldn't find a crab even at a swingers' party. He's obviously a competent enough vessel master, and he knows the mechanics of the boats, but he's not particularly adept at the core competency of his business. Now he wants to be part owner? Sheesh.

I have to wonder if Sig ever schooled Jake on the finer points of pinpointing his quarry, because to this landlubber it sure doesn't look like he did (or the lessons didn't stick). Obviously not every string will hit, but for the most part, Sig, Keith, and Sean usually seem to be able to find decent numbers sooner rather than later. And while I like the idea of Sean and Jake working together (seems logical if you're both after the same thing, and you're both somewhat honorable), it seems that Jake just doesn't have the knack of getting on the bite early. 

I actually think it's a fair amount of Jake.  He came onto the Northwestern and was constantly pushing to advance with a goal to be captain, which is great.  He took courses in the off season and then got pissy when they didn't give him a bunch of time in the wheelhouse and actually expected him to be a deckhand.  I think they did try to be encouraging of his ambitions, but, Jake never really got that this was a family operation (the Northwestern), and that Sig was the captain, if Sig wasn't running it, then Edgar would likely take the wheelhouse, and even if wasn't Edgar, Norm, Mandy, and Edgar's son would all be in line to run the boat before Jake would be.  Somehow he always seemed to think that because he had gotten a license, they were just going to be like, oh, awesome, here, why don't you take the boat for opies next year?  

This led to his pitching the fit and quitting to go work on that other boat that didn't work out.  Then he stepped in to take over the Saga, eventually, but, he never actually learned the finer points of fishing.  Like WHERE they go season after season.  Or how to manage people.  Every year that Jake has had the Saga, he's made some random decision that he was going to fish in a weird place that makes no sense at all.  Last year he decided he wasn't going to go more than like 100 miles outside of Dutch so he didn't use a ton of fuel.  Never mind that in all of the years he was out on the Northwestern they had never fished there, that might have been a clue that there weren't crab in that area.  Nah, Jake just figures it's a GENIUS idea that no one ever thought of before.  And he stays there forever even though he's not catching anything.  This year, all of the other boats are in one area, so rather than saying- hmm, let's see if the crab are south of the mass of boats, or maybe west, Jake is like, let me go 200 miles away from all of these people and find my own random place.  It's not like all those boats aren't clustered together for a reason.  

• Love 3

Yeah, this is my point exactly. I could see Disco giving him a doofus edit once in a while, but it seems like every year he's behind the 8-ball out of the gate. He's got a lot going for him skills-wise, but I agree, he never really mastered the art of finding crab.

Granted that takes years or even decades of skill for most skippers, but again, look at Sean. Maybe it's a case of Disco giving him better screen treatment, but it just seems to me that he learned where to expect the crab will go for any given sea, tide, and water temp conditions.

Does Jake have any known spots similar to the Hillstrand's honeyholes like the butt cheeks or McGoo, etc? 

• Love 1

Jake failed to bring in the required harvest on time.  How on earth can the owners respect Jake's acumen enough to offer him an equity position?!  They totally respect Disco's subsidies, though.  🙂

Any mention yet as to the actual fines and sanctions Sean suffered?

Congrats to Erik for rallying.  

Disco way oversold the weather again.   It's the scorpion which cannot stop biting the frog.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Yeah, this is my point exactly. I could see Disco giving him a doofus edit once in a while, but it seems like every year he's behind the 8-ball out of the gate. He's got a lot going for him skills-wise, but I agree, he never really mastered the art of finding crab.

Granted that takes years or even decades of skill for most skippers, but again, look at Sean. Maybe it's a case of Disco giving him better screen treatment, but it just seems to me that he learned where to expect the crab will go for any given sea, tide, and water temp conditions.

Does Jake have any known spots similar to the Hillstrand's honeyholes like the butt cheeks or McGoo, etc? 

I don't think he has any known spots.  And Jake isn't really smart enough to listen to other people when they try to help him, either.  Whenever someone tries to give him advice he blows up at them and storms off yelling about how he knows he's a good captain and they aren't giving him credit for everything he's done.  He also repeatedly accuses the people he's working with of using him, even though he's more than happy to use them if it would work out to his advantage.  I wouldn't work with Keith and I also think that Keith was more than happy to use Jake to screw with Sig, but, if Jake had paid attention, Keith also would have helped him get some crab.  Would Keith have filled his boat first? Hell yeah.  But, he would have also helped Jake and if Jake paid attention and applied things he'd realize that building up knowledge year after year is useful.  Patterns and such.  He doesn't bother to consider that the other boats are all in one area because the old-timers may have seen conditions like this a few times and when they did, they found crab in those areas, so maybe if he went to those areas, he'd find them.  Nor does it seem like he's making his OWN notes, so that he can start to make his own correlations about where things are when weather is like this or that.

• Love 3

This episode was originally the second hour of Price Of Punishment, which I failed to watch in the five days it was available.  Since then there have been endless reruns of this episode as scheduled in the online guides, but every time Rival Survival (the first hour) has been scheduled it's been overrun by the second hour of Superswarm.  It's also not on the Disco site.

So I'm frustrated, as I wanted to see the outcome of the Brenna A's court issues, and whether or not Jake gave some of that catch back to Sean (yeah right) and so on.

So does anyone know why this hour got buried?  I'd love to know, just for closure.