Type keyword(s) to search

Boise Boys - General Discussion

suebee12
  • Start Topic

I really like these two guys! They both seem to know what they are doing and because of the weather changes one can tell how long they work on a project. I would love to see all the "goodies" that Luke has hidden away. He has shown us some really great things he has stored away....bet he is a blast at a garage sale. I love watching Clint teaching his boys how to do projects. While they may not go into the construction business, they will know how to be handy and I bet they will always be available to help Dad out.

The one problem I have watching this show (and Guy's Grocery Games on the Food Network) is that I have to see the commercials for Christina and Robert Irvine over and over again! Pushing them down our throats will not make me watch them!

• Love 4
(edited)

The fire pole opening will need to be closed if it's a rental. (Or maybe it's just me who'd rather not have all my conversations, music, TV, etc. clearly audible to realty clients downstairs.)

Did the office space have its own bathroom?

Luke and his potted plants, I swear.

Edited by palmaire
7 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Is there enough short term (vacation-type) rental demand for Boise for them to make the kind of rental income they estimated? 

They could rent it to fans of the show - I'd love to stay in one of their project houses.   Road trip  - Boise!

I've always fantasized about living in a repurposed vintage building.  I certainly don't have the skills or vision (or $$$) to do the transformation, and I have no idea how people find properties like that. 

One of my all-time favorite shows on HGTV was ReZoned.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, palmaire said:

The fire pole opening will need to be closed if it's a rental. (Or maybe it's just me who'd rather not have all my conversations, music, TV, etc. clearly audible to realty clients downstairs.)

I wondered about that as well and if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure I saw a "trap door" type cover over the pole opening on the second floor with hinges to open it.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, kirklandia said:

They could rent it to fans of the show - I'd love to stay in one of their project houses.   Road trip  - Boise!

I think this has become a thing for some of the HGTV talent.  Chip and Joanna have their B&B, and I believe Ken and Anita (F or F Atlanta) kept one of their flip houses and are doing something similar.

Regarding the short term rental prospects, I just read an article yesterday about the problems short term rentals are causing for long term residents in Sedona, Arizona.  In my city, short term rentals have become more and more common in one of the historical neighborhoods, creating parking, partying, and noise problems.  They have also increased the cost of housing in that area, and that is preventing low and middle income people from buying a house there.  Here's the link to the Sedona article:  https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/27/vacation-rentals-killing-arizona-city-locals-say/1846713001/

• Love 1

Red, funny how people move to places with open spaces and then expect the places to remain open for the rest of time. They act as though their arrival 20 years ago didn't piss someone off 20 years ago. There were just fewer pissed off people then. If you want to ensure open space, you'd probably better buy the open space.  I was in Sedona in the early-80s and people (probably themselves fairly new to the area) were grumbling about the flood of new-agey newcomers. 

I can't say that I'm one who would update a place and then add permanent items that are old, grungy, rusted, etc. (in this case, I'm thinking about the bathtub as described by what's-his-name).  I'd rather put the character in furnishings and other removable things. The kitchen had far too few cabinets, and the scale of the copper light fixture was absurd.

I loved the outside of the place. 

If I were in the market for a home in Boise, I would've been disappointed that the whole place wasn't renovated as a home.

• Love 1

Tomorrow (Saturday the 3rd) on HGTV is the next Boise Boys episode, at 10 p.m. Central/11 p.m. Eastern.       It's a conversion of a stable to a home for a client.

Then, next Saturday the 10th, they have another new episode at 9 a.m Central/10 am Eastern, theoretically at least.  

28 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tomorrow (Saturday the 3rd) on HGTV is the next Boise Boys episode, at 10 p.m. Central/11 p.m. Eastern. 

You beat me to reminding folks! And it is on again on Sunday at 2 AM Eastern/1 AM Central if you miss it on Saturday!

On 8/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tomorrow (Saturday the 3rd) on HGTV is the next Boise Boys episode, at 10 p.m. Central/11 p.m. Eastern.       It's a conversion of a stable to a home for a client.

The conversion of that apartment above a four car garage (originally a four stall stable) was incredible. What the Boys did was nothing short of fantastic. The homeowners were ecstatic with the results. I only wish the reveal had shown more of what they did on the second floor where they created the master suite and an additional bedroom.

• Love 5

The garage turned out great! It's very much a specific style that's not my personal taste as a non-Basque, but the guys definitely took the clients' wishes to heart. The structural changes like moving the front door, adding windows, etc., made it actually look like a house.

I thought the kitchen backsplash did not coordinate well with the cabinet color but then, they weren't designing it for me.

I know the $300K fee was firm but still thought it was a bit unfair that the guys had to absorb unforeseeable repairs like the garage foundation.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, palmaire said:

I know the $300K fee was firm but still thought it was a bit unfair that the guys had to absorb unforeseeable repairs like the garage foundation.

For that reason, I was surprised that the guys did a remodel.  I understand that they didn't have to carry the house like they would if they were flipping it, but when you flip, you can at least attempt to recoup some overages by listing at a higher price and then coming down if necessary.  Luke said this project would be fun (and it probably was), but he's had several fun projects.  That didn't seem like a worthwhile reason to me to go against their usual business model.

I found the product placement for Dish to be especially obnoxious.  There's all sorts of product placement on HGTV, but it was really thick in this episode.

My DVR lists next week's Saturday episode as a repeat (Time for a Raze), but then HGTV does tend to change its schedule.   I don't know if what my DVR says is firm or not.

• Love 1

My guess is the men did a fixed fee for the flip, and overages like the foundation are their problem.    I think the Dish product placement probably netted them a lot of money, so if it gave the men more money for the project then I can just ignore it.    I bet the three bedrooms and baths upstairs only had basic drywall, paint, and flooring fixes, and didn't have the fancy finishes downstairs had.    On some of the remodeling shows they do the total remodel in stages, so I bet the upstairs fancier finishes were phase two.    

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

My DVR lists next week's Saturday episode as a repeat (Time for a Raze), but then HGTV does tend to change its schedule.   I don't know if what my DVR says is firm or not.

This is what HGTV and my TV guide has scheduled:

Season 2, Episode 13 Saturday Aug 10th, 10 AM Eastern, 9 AM Central

Try, Try Again

Clint and Luke take a second chance on a midcentury modern they once passed on in Boise's Bench neighborhood. Although it has cool stonework and an eye-popping period fireplace, they must reconfigure a choppy layout that includes a closed-off kitchen and two bizarre bathrooms.

Wonder if this is the one we saw last night? It sure had a lot of red carpet!

• Love 1

The Basque house turned out great.   Like others have posted I wish they'd shown the upstairs more--I wonder if maybe the owners could not pay to furnish the bedrooms or something?

I really like that they are choosing a wide range of different types of homes this season.   I  know Luke's style suits the mid-century modern but we've seen him adapt that to some other styles--and I really enjoy it.  

We have a home near where I live that is being re-done and the owners are using a lot of black metal and natural wood on the outside-It was a very traditional colonial home--I drove by the other day and it is starting to look like something the Boise Boys would do!

• Love 2

I loved the Mid Century Modern, and think it's great they ended up selling for $10,000 over asking price.     I liked everything, but still don't like banquettes.    I loved the transom windows to let in more light, in the master bath.      That house was a mess before, and it looked lovely after.   I really liked the old doors with the frosted glass.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I DVR the episodes, and surprise!    This morning wasn't Boise, but it's supposed to be on at 7 p.m. Central / 8 p.m. Eastern tonight.  

Thank  you so much...wish they would give it a home and leave it there!!!!!

• Love 2

I watched the new episode this morning--it was online early.   The mid-century was not the red carpet one--and it turned out beautiful.   They've really done some great jobs--all of them different.   This one went from really meh to very cool--and the fireplace that was original just looked great.

I loved all the green--my whole house used to be in greens so I'm a fan.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, car54 said:

I loved all the green-

I love green but I haven't had any green in any of my homes since the lovely avocado green shag carpet and appliances during the 70's. For some reason, I wear green but don't want to live in it! I actually did like the exterior of the house tho'. The green went really well with the wood and stone tones.

I would love to see Luke's warehouse area...bet he has some wonder things saved for when he needs them. Still not sure I am happy to see macrame back although Luke used it better than Karen did!! The floral couch in the MB brought back memories! My MIL had that couch but it was in navy with all of the floral...and boy was it comfortable.

I know that the Boy-C and Boy-Z shirts were done for the show but I bet those two have done something similar in real life...they bounce off of each other so well!!!! Sure hope this show is renewed...one of the best on HGTV!

• Love 3

I like green, but I think that Luke overdid it.  While I liked the exterior of the house, and I loved the shampoo niche in the bathroom, hard no to the living room being green with a white band on top.  I think that would be something that would lose its appeal quickly.  Also no to the fugly kitchen backsplash tile.

Luke's geometric design could stay as long as I had already repainted the living room.

Got a kick out of seeing a picture of young Clint and young Sandy.

• Love 5

Of course Clint wears the same plaid shirt for 15+ years. Heh.

I like that the guys are willing to splurge for some unique design items like the garage door in this ep to make an impact, while still using less expensive (and period appropriate) items like the ceramic backsplash tiles and plain front kitchen cabinets. I didn't mind the tile color in and of itself, but it did add to the "maybe too much green" feel of the house.

A lot of flippers would have painted that pinkish stone, probably including me.

I wonder if any buyers purchase some of the staging furniture and accessories? The living room couch fit the space really well.

• Love 3

Surprise!   There's a new episode tonight, the 17th at 7 p.m. Central/8 p.m. Eastern.    I wish HGTV would just schedule them, and leave it at a regular time. 

The next showing I can find on HGTV's schedule is 4 September, Wednesday at 7 a.m. Central/8 a.m. Eastern.  (Yes, bright and early in the morning).   It's supposed to be a rerun of the River House they demolished and totally rebuilt, and it's the one Luke's family moved into.    I love that episode.  

With the fire house renovation, I think there is generally a cover that can be opened easily (in a real fire house I bet it opens automatically when they get an assignment, and are opening the big garage doors) that keeps people from falling through the hole in the floor.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I liked seeing Luke shop his warehouse for staging.

On the fence about the entire wall covered in records, but it did look cool,

I was trying to gauge if there was enough room for a narrow dining table?

• Love 3

I was a little surprised the vinyl house sold so quickly as a 3/1.* 

The logistical problems relocating the kitchen were interesting to watch. It's crazy that previous owners had remodeled/added on, and that layout was the best they could come up with. But then, those were probably the same people who created that monstrosity of a fireplace. That was hall of fame ugly.

Matte black is a really difficult paint color because it highlights every bump and flaw in the walls, which it did here.

Clint's sons not only look like him, they have his voice, too.

* It used to be the suburban norm and I grew up with four people and one bathroom, but now a 3/1 is thought of as a starter home. My last house was a 2/1 and the new owners still added another bath!

• Love 3

I thought the idea of the vinyl record wall was cool, but it's for very specific tastes, mine not included.  As a buyer, I would have been turned off by it, and immediately would have begun to figure out how to remove it without damaging the sheetrock.  Even if the glue wasn't super glue, there's going to be surface damage to repair before painting.  I think the better solution would have been to make a big wall hanging or art piece with the records that could be hung like a large painting or something like that.  If the homeowner didn't want to include it in the purchase, he could have removed it, stored it in his warehouse and used it in a future flip.

The second house they looked at was a hot mess.  That place looks like it should be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.  Looks like Boise's house prices are beginning to rival Austin, Texas when it was becoming the hip place to live.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I thought the idea of the vinyl record wall was cool, but it's for very specific tastes, mine not included. 

As a viewer, all I could think of was the dust that would accumulate on that vinyl. Sadly, as a buyer my first thought would have been "wow, but how do I get rid of it?"

My DVR cut off before any mention of a sale. Did they sell and for how much? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer. 😊

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

Did they sell and for how much? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer. 😊

Yes, they did for the asking price($425,000)

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I think the better solution would have been to make a big wall hanging or art piece with the records that could be hung like a large painting or something like that.

That is a great idea...it was a cool look but I really don't think too many folks would want it in their house. Didn't Hildi do something like this way long ago on Trading Spaces? I actually like the guitars on the wall, and you know those were for looks only...I can't see Luke giving up his guitars and banjos! My son has all of his guitars on the wall(easy to grab and play) along with the violins they own!

• Love 6

Luke specifically said the guitars were for staging purposes only.  Again, while the guitars looked good, you could see every imperfection in that wall because of the black paint.  As a buyer I would have been figure how many coats of Kilz it was going to take to cover the black wall.  Not many people have "pretty" things to stage a wall like that, nor would it be to everyone's taste.  This would be a good one to revisit in a couple of years to see if the records and black wall are still there.

• Love 7

I'm really stunned that someone was willing to pay over $400,000 for a small house with one bathroom, no master suite, and no dining room. Was there even a garage?   This is the first house they've done that I really didn't care for.  

• Love 3

Don't you think that maybe they already have a buyer before they do the remodel?  I think the decor in most of the homes is too specific to appeal to the general public.

Perhaps they had planned to remodel and keep the firehouse all along.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

I thought the idea of the vinyl record wall was cool, but it's for very specific tastes, mine not included.  As a buyer, I would have been turned off by it, and immediately would have begun to figure out how to remove it without damaging the sheetrock.  Even if the glue wasn't super glue, there's going to be surface damage to repair before painting.  I think the better solution would have been to make a big wall hanging or art piece with the records that could be hung like a large painting or something like that.  If the homeowner didn't want to include it in the purchase, he could have removed it, stored it in his warehouse and used it in a future flip.

I had the same thought about the guitars.  The guitars belong to Luke, which means they are likely not going with the house.  Yet, they seemed to be hanging from hangers that looked to not only be affixed to the wall but painted black.  You're going to have to take them off the wall and then repaint the wall.

The records didn't do it for me either, and I thought there was too much clutter on the fireplace mantle.  Overall, this was not a house that I particularly liked, although I would have asked for the sign that Luke used over the storage in the living room.  I found the house to be very dark---too much gray and black.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ohmo said:

I found the house to be very dark---too much gray and black.

I don't think any of us were surprised that it was bought by a young single guy who vibed with the muted tones and Luke's midcentury hipster esthetic. He probably eats on the couch anyway. 

Interesting that Luke used to be a musician. I looked up his band -- Esterlyn, a Christian worship group. Luke was lead vocals and guitar. While rummaging, I saw that Clint is also an attorney and CPA. The kids in both families are homeschooled, which seems perfect for field trips to their dads' jobsites!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ditto on the record wall...too much. 

I love these guys. .....but lately Luke seems to zero in on one thing---record colors, and the GREEEEEEEENNNNN house. Green everything! 

It was just too much green-even the different shades--and not enough contrast.  Dude, make it a focal color, so it stands out, rather than blends into one big mass. 

I might  want to see different color trees, not the whole dang forest surrounding me. 

I like green. I love blue. But everything in moderation.  I like other colors too. 

That said,  I think this is the best design show on.  

• Love 5

I saw this article about the rapid growth in Boise, and the influx of new residents from California, and thought some of the followers of this forum would be interested in reading it.  Sounds very much like what Oregon experienced years ago when people from California began moving there, and prices for housing went sky high in many parts of the state.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-10/go-back-to-california-wave-of-newcomers-fuels-backlash-in-boise

• Love 1

Just started watching this show today.  I am really enjoying it.  I like the location, it's a part of the country a lot of design and house hunting shows ignore.  I also really like what they do with the homes sometimes, even that large mural. Although, TBF, that was a little "too much" even for me, but it did add character to a boxy home.  

• Love 1

I'm guessing that when there is something taste specific like the plant house (with trees, and vines growing into the house).    That they put that mural in, or the record wall house, or other things that are very specific, and limit the buying pool it's not a flip.    I bet some are actually a home they're doing for that client, and not a flip they're doing for resale.   

• Love 2

HGTV is running three episodes of this Saturday, the 8th.   From 10 am to 2 p.m. Central, and all but the 1 to 2 p.m. episode say they are New.    

OK, update, since I recognize the first one.   10-11 am Central is a rerun, 11-12, and 12-1 are new (I hope), and 1-2 is a rerun.      The 10-11 is the red door house that they're redoing for a family that already lives there.   I guess this is what the new season will be.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

HGTV is running three episodes of this Saturday, the 8th.   From 10 am to 2 p.m. Central, and all but the 1 to 2 p.m. episode say they are New.    

I hope that episode is new. I'm fed up with HGTV repackaging old shows and calling them "new"... my DVR records anything new, including the repackaged shows.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I hope that episode is new. I'm fed up with HGTV repackaging old shows and calling them "new"... my DVR records anything new, including the repackaged shows.

Me too. I think HGTV runs shows that have already shown on DIY Network and labels them as "new." And now we're getting "new" episodes of Rehab Addict which are simply repackaged footage of projects that have been shown on prior seasons. (At least when DIY shows "new" episodes of the various Mike Holmes shows, they are labeled "[Name of Show]: Retooled" and include some actual updated stuff, and I appreciate that transparency.)

This bogus "new" episode stuff seems to be a trend. TLC's deeply into it with Dr. Pimple Popper, to the point where I've deleted the show entirely from my DVR. I like the show but TLC is endlessly recycling the same footage and calling it "new." TLC also does it with "supersized" episodes of M600PL, and other cutsie named versions of a few other shows. And there's no way to program my DVR to record only the actual original episode and not the follow-up one with cute captions and maybe a few seconds of extra scenes, since they are both labeled as "new."

Sorry for the rant. The annoyance is minor but real.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4

Some of them were actually new.    The Basque house redo was a rerun, but it's the direction the show is supposed to go, where they redo homes for existing owners.     Then there were two new ones, (unless I missed them the first time around), and then a repeat.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Glad I found another reality flipping show where the team is relatively normal.

Fun to see the families and I have a special place in my heart for people who adopt Down syndrome kids.

I've only seen a few episodes, but I really enjoyed the re-purposing of the horse stables (Basque house).

On one house they said "Wait, I just realized we don't have a shower in this bathroom!" and then I don't think they mentioned it again.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5

I was napping and when I woke up this show came on so I watched it - probably a long ago episode.  It was a house they painted navy, which I liked, including the island and a feature wall in the bedroom, but they put red bricks (tile?) around the fireplace and I thought that was kind of unattractive.  At the end the house sold (to a geologist couple) so I assume they know their market, but just not a fan of that red going up the entire wall.  I was a little surprised (again, remember, I've never watched the show before) that the designer guy was straight (and with 6 children...read his biography).  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I was a little surprised (again, remember, I've never watched the show before) that the designer guy was straight (and with 6 children...read his biography).  

Same here.  To me, he channels Daniel Levy.

• Love 1