Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: B Sides

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Well that was a dark episode. Didn't see both counselors being involved and for Andre to be the one with powers. 

Feel exactly the same way.. He's like a psychic despair vampire.. On some shows... Him only hurting 10% of the ppl he sees would probably make him a hero.. But he's def a bad guy here... I was shocked I didn't think it would be both counselors... In the first setting ( perfect life)  when everyone was together and Tandy jumped Cuz she thought her dad was about to hit her mom... Man that was awkward... But nothing compares to the bodega with the white dudes... Sad to say but I've been in a similar situation.. Oddly enough with my half-sister.. And just like on the show it was the white lady ready to go ape and the young brotha.. Just tryna get outta there before it got worse... 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Well that was a dark episode. Didn't see both counselors being involved and for Andre to be the one with powers. 

I was going there since the big bad identity being someone besides Mayhem was out. Last week I thought there was the possibility of a gender swap.

I do wonder if they we go full despair and allow the Tandy character to be raped next week before they become triumphant in the end?

What a downer of an episode. I can’t believe the main counselor is the big bad and goes into people’s minds and destroys their hopes. Can’t wait for Tyrone to save her and bring this guy down. He makes Collins look like a saint (I do like how he’s trying to atone for his sins and missed the storyline this week).

• Love 1

Figured Andre was a bad guy especially after after he pointed her towards the other counselor.

It's interesting that they're doing a flash type thing where there are other villains out there with powers just cuz they happened to be near the water.

Welcome back, Liam. Bye Liam.

Not sure how I feel about the records motif.

I can definitely see why the actress wanted to take a break from acting after this season, good lord.

Figured Andre was a bad guy especially after after he pointed her towards the other counselor.

It's interesting that they're doing a flash type thing where there are other villains out there with powers just cuz they happened to be near the water.

Welcome back, Liam. Bye Liam.

Not sure how I feel about the records motif.

I can definitely see why the actress wanted to take a break from acting after this season, good lord.

Also.. When the store guy lamented that " this is how it is now... They take our women and cry racism"....  I had to pause my TV and walk around my house to cool my blood

• Love 2

I know this is just a TV show, but having both counselors be bad guys sends a bad message. 

I feel like I was cheated out of an episode because most of it was hallucinations. I wouldn’t mind this kind of episod if this show had more episodes per season. Everything that wasn’t a hallucination felt rushed. Lots of  character actions without motivations explained.

• Love 2

I was very surprised that Tandy and Tyrone weren't dating in any of the alternate universe hallucinations - their chemistry has been off the charts lately. Maybe this rescuing subplot will kick the romantic subtext into main text.

Aubrey Joseph is very cute and has a great dynamic with Olivia, but he's a noticeably weak actor. His monotone, deadpan delivery in response to every situation and emotion gets a little distracting.

I really cant believe that I didnt call both of the counselors being evil. I should have know, he was the guy who recommended her to the lady working with the bad guys in the first place. And he isnt just a human trafficker, he is some kind of emotion vampire who feeds off of despair. I like that they're setting up a sort of rouges gallery of villains who were affected by the water, and this guy is sufficiently dark and creepy. 

Not a whole lot of plot movement, but I really enjoyed seeing the various alternate worlds Tandy found, like the happy one where Tandy and Ty grew up together (until racist assholes messed it up), the one where they both work at Roxxon and Mina is a jerk, the one where they are both thieves (and she runs into Liam!), and the fake out where Ty was "killed". I do wonder if Liam will ever come back into the plot, or if Tandy will try and find him and give him his hope back, after she ate it all? Now that they've brought it up again, I kind of wonder if it will come back into play.

I love the music choices on this show so much, they add a lot to the shows atmosphere. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I was very surprised that Tandy and Tyrone weren't dating in any of the alternate universe hallucinations - their chemistry has been off the charts lately. Maybe this rescuing subplot will kick the romantic subtext into main text.

I agree with this. I though that Evita would be more of a character since they gave her all those scenes in the first episode of the season, and I assumed they were setting up either a love triangle, or a tragic death for her or something.

But it turns we really haven't seen her at all since that episode. She's not really a character on the show. Which makes me really wonder why she exists at all? Is it just so that Ty has some girlfriend offscreen as an excuse for why he and Tandy aren't romantic?

Also they seem to be pushing Ty and Tandy closer and closer every episode, and I think they must be heading in that direction? The chemistry between them is really strong (and the best part of the show honestly), so it only makes sense, imo. I just don't know why they bothered to give Ty an extraneous other love interest at all, especially if we never see her.

They could be doing the exact same slow burn romance between them without that character even existing at this point.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

I don't enjoy using the term chemistry because it feels subjective to me.. As some on screen pairs do nothing for me.. Generally I just go are these two believable together.. And are the circumstances that got them there at least somewhat realistic or...  Was it just something that was telegraphed.. Like these two are gonna be together damn everything else... Even if the characterization of the afformentioned doesn't fit what's happening on screen.... All that said to say... Tandy and Tyrone do pop on the screen together... And they care about each other strongly.. And they've had some viscious emotionally raw fights... So if they ever did go there ( and in the comics they go on and off quite a bit)  I wouldn't be mad.. I am surprised they didn't use Evita more... I do like her and it doesn't feel like she's Ty's placeholder for Tandy... But she hasn't been needed much.. If they want her to be a bigger part and not fade away they will need to incorporate her more

(edited)

Interesting take on D'Spayre from the comics. I'm not a big fan of how dark things are getting, but hopefully they will bring an end to this storyline soon. I did feel like it was a bit too much, having all these alternative memories at this point of the story; it killed a bit of the desperation of the moment from the finale of the prior episode.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I agree with this. I though that Evita would be more of a character since they gave her all those scenes in the first episode of the season, and I assumed they were setting up either a love triangle, or a tragic death for her or something.

But it turns we really haven't seen her at all since that episode. She's not really a character on the show. Which makes me really wonder why she exists at all? Is it just so that Ty has some girlfriend offscreen as an excuse for why he and Tandy aren't romantic?

Also they seem to be pushing Ty and Tandy closer and closer every episode, and I think they must be heading in that direction? The chemistry between them is really strong (and the best part of the show honestly), so it only makes sense, imo. I just don't know why they bothered to give Ty an extraneous other love interest at all, especially if we never see her.

They could be doing the exact same slow burn romance between them without that character even existing at this point.

Exactly! I hate love triangles in general as a trope and it usually makes all three look bad, so at first it was refreshing to have Tandy be so supportive. But how are we supposed to want Ty & Evita together if they're not just not on screen together, but she's barely a character to begin with? I think they keep her around for the voodoo/local lore connection, but she doesn't have to date Ty to do that. Are they together in the comics? Maybe that's why. I've never seen a more passive love interest/ship as an obstacle to the main pairing - love rivals to the main character are usually jealous/bitter/anxious or at least sad when they realize they have an expiration date. Evita's not even there! She is indeed a stall tactic to give Ty/Tandy time for buildup, but she's a literal placeholder with no personality or connection to Ty beyond a few throwaway lines about worrying for each other. It made me laugh that she was in the hallucinations as Ty's long term girlfriend because I was like "she's never with him in reality!"

1 hour ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Exactly! I hate love triangles in general as a trope and it usually makes all three look bad, so at first it was refreshing to have Tandy be so supportive. But how are we supposed to want Ty & Evita together if they're not just not on screen together, but she's barely a character to begin with? I think they keep her around for the voodoo/local lore connection, but she doesn't have to date Ty to do that. Are they together in the comics? Maybe that's why. I've never seen a more passive love interest/ship as an obstacle to the main pairing - love rivals to the main character are usually jealous/bitter/anxious or at least sad when they realize they have an expiration date. Evita's not even there! She is indeed a stall tactic to give Ty/Tandy time for buildup, but she's a literal placeholder with no personality or connection to Ty beyond a few throwaway lines about worrying for each other. It made me laugh that she was in the hallucinations as Ty's long term girlfriend because I was like "she's never with him in reality!"

She also doesn't need to be there for the voodoo stuff (which I don't think is necessary to begin with), because the character of the aunt has that covered.

It's very odd.

• Love 1

I do agree with some of the things  above posters have stated...mainly that its hard to see Evita and Ty as a real couple because they've spent so little time together... But I also don't see type thinking about any other female the way he's thinking about Evita.. At least right now he's all in on her.. Now maybe this upcoming week with Tandy in real danger will muddy the waters for him.. But he was still giddy when she turned down that other guy earlier in the season.. And even in Tandy's perfect world its Ty and Evita.. Again that could change.. And Ty and Tandy sizzle on screen together.. But neither one has ever even seen thinking about taking it there 

Problem is they just don't have the time. Three episodes from the finale and I still feel as if we barely caught up to everybody from the first season.  Honestly this felt like a waste of episode really.  That being said not hating the subject matter, but we need to know some of the victims to at least get some resonance.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Oscirus said:

Problem is they just don't have the time. Three episodes from the finale and I still feel as if we barely caught up to everybody from the first season.  Honestly this felt like a waste of episode really.  That being said not hating the subject matter, but we need to know some of the victims to at least get some resonance.

I agree and the fact that this is a superhero show, they should be using their super powers of fight crime. Give us some flashy super hero action each episode.

• Love 1

I used Wikipedia to catch up on the comics before I started watching the show, so I wasn't surprised by the revelation about Andre Deschaine. I like the D'Spayre interpretation a lot.

I would like to learn more about Lia and Mikyala and some of the other women, though. There seems something a little idgy about having Tandy our main way of empathizing with the trafficked women.

I keep expecting more to come of Tandy's powers being specifically connected to Hope, and it seemed particularly weird that it didn't come up explicitly in this storyline. I feel like she should have a more specific resistance to D'Spayre's powers because of her connection to the Light Force and that Ty should have a particular vulnerability (since he and D'Spayre draw on the same force). I'm hoping that by the end of the season, she'll have learned how to channel Hope into people the same way she learned how to take it (and I didn't think she took it permanently--just temporarily).

I'm also wondering if Mayhem is going to bust Tandy out since Mayhem's still in the Dark Force dimension. Presumably, she's immune to D'Spayre on the basis of being an aggressive half of a person. Hope/despair seem pretty irrelevant to Mayhem.

Tandy and Ty have such amazing chemistry. Their bond comes through in all scenarios. They got me with the fakeout all the way till Johnny Cash started singing. I was sitting there waiting for some healing light magic up till then.

The atmosphere they created with the hallucinations and the record store is super creepy. And someone in the props department must be having fun creating those covers.

I did not see Andre being in on it.

The thing about Tandy and Ty as a couple is, yes I would like to see it, but I’m honestly in no hurry to see it because I don’t think it’s going to be much different from the current dynamic.