Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E20: The Decision Reverberation

I guess I could see them having Sheldon pronounce a word 'correctly' but it would have to be done in a scenario where this would make some sense.  As a throwaway line at the end of the episode there's no reason for it.  He pronounced it the way Jim Parsons probably grew up pronouncing it and the way fictional Sheldon heard it pronounced all through his fictional childhood.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I have to laugh at how Bernadette wanted to see Avengers Endgame in 3D for Thor's abs. Because I just saw the movie, and yeeeeaash, about that....

Now I'm imagining a scene of Amy, Bernadette, and Penny talking about which one they think is the hottest and which they'd most like to have sex with. 

• Love 2
On 4/26/2019 at 2:09 PM, Homily said:

Sherbet is usually called sorbet in my neck of the woods.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US, sherbet and sorbet are two different products. Sherbet has dairy (usually milk) in it; sorbet is just fruit, sugar, and water. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 4/26/2019 at 5:46 AM, shapeshifter said:

I wasn't sure whether I was more puzzled or annoyed by Raj saying "Thank you" in Hawaiian (Mahalo) to Anu when she kissed him,

I thought it was because the data he was talking to her about came from an observatory in Hawaii.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, Trey said:

Were Bernadette and Howard even in the episode?

They were at Raj's planetarium event, sabotaging his presentation, and then later Howard was with Raj when the aliens were at Raj's office. Also, they were in the first scene where the discussion happens about when/where to see the movie vs when to eat dinner. And then later at home Howard showed Bernadette something online that was making fun of Raj. They didn't have their own story this week, but I'm okay with that. They get to be the focus a lot more than Raj or Leonard, in recent times. I was glad to see the others get more focus.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:10 PM, ams1001 said:

(I still want the card catalog that's in the back part of the living room).

I want to know if it still has the cards in it! I used to spend hours and hours in libraries, shuttling back and forth between the catalogue and the shelves. Somehow, that's happy memories, even though now it's all so much more convenient.

And if it doesn't have the library catalogue cards, are they using the drawers to store fossils or something? I really want to know.

I liked the episode. I wish they had done some of these things earlier, though. I think the show has been very stagnant and it's frustrating to me that they're all of a sudden at the end doing some things that would have made things more lively if they'd happened sooner.

• Love 5

I just had the sherbet/sherbert conversation with my husband a few months ago and looked into it online.  Despite several sites claiming it's a common misspelling, Merriam Webster claims 'sherbert' is now an accepted variant of the word despite the fact that we have had it beaten out of us after many decades of spell-shaming.  Mr. Yeah No and I think that's as it should be.  We're from New York City and always saw it spelled sherbert when we were kids in the '60s and '70s, and Merriam Webster confirms that this spelling made somewhat of a comeback in the 20th century.  After a while people were shamed by the "spelling police" to take out the "r" but everyone we knew still pronounced it with the "r" sound and didn't even notice it had been removed from the packaging of any brands that used the extra "r".  After having this discussion, I polled my friends and all of them (who are over 50) pronounced and spelled it with the 'r".  Some of those people are native New Englanders.  At my local supermarket I actually found a house brand that spelled it 'sherbert'.

So anyway, if it's good for Merriam Webster, it should be good for Sheldon and the rest of us.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, possibilities said:
On April 26, 2019 at 4:46 AM, shapeshifter said:

I wasn't sure whether I was more puzzled or annoyed by Raj saying "Thank you" in Hawaiian (Mahalo) to Anu when she kissed him,

I thought it was because the data he was talking to her about came from an observatory in Hawaii.

Yes, that's why he spoke in Hawaiian, but why "thank you" after she kissed him? Was it because:

1. Anu was signaling Raj with a kiss that she was willing to have sex in a lab with a bad smell (ew!) instead of waiting until they went home?
  2. "Mahalo" is the only other Hawaiian word besides "Aloha" that the writers know?
  3. It was something like in Star Wars when "I love you" was followed by "I know"?
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, that's why he spoke in Hawaiian, but why "thank you" after she kissed him? Was it because:

1. Anu was signaling Raj with a kiss that she was willing to have sex in a lab with a bad smell (ew!) instead of waiting until they went home?
  2. "Mahalo" is the only other Hawaiian word besides "Aloha" that the writers know?
  3. It was something like in Star Wars when "I love you" was followed by "I know"?

Or maybe he was just thanking her for an unexpected, unanticipated kiss. 

• Love 10

Great series about Leonard! He was told to do what he wants, and he did what he wants!
He even sat on Sheldon's favorite place on the couch. By the way, the sofa is different! Where is the old sofa? I feel Sheldon, who was used to certain things, and they were taken from him ...🙈
And with Raj there were great episodes. The truth is somewhere near!!!👀

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I just had the sherbet/sherbert conversation with my husband a few months ago and looked into it online.  Despite several sites claiming it's a common misspelling, Merriam Webster claims 'sherbert' is now an accepted variant of the word despite the fact that we have had it beaten out of us after many decades of spell-shaming.  Mr. Yeah No and I think that's as it should be.  We're from New York City and always saw it spelled sherbert when we were kids in the '60s and '70s, and Merriam Webster confirms that this spelling made somewhat of a comeback in the 20th century.  After a while people were shamed by the "spelling police" to take out the "r" but everyone we knew still pronounced it with the "r" sound and didn't even notice it had been removed from the packaging of any brands that used the extra "r".  After having this discussion, I polled my friends and all of them (who are over 50) pronounced and spelled it with the 'r".  Some of those people are native New Englanders.  At my local supermarket I actually found a house brand that spelled it 'sherbert'.

So anyway, if it's good for Merriam Webster, it should be good for Sheldon and the rest of us.

Yes I totally agree. And if I have to live with "irregardless", people who pronounce the T in "often", and "literally" used figuratively, then the rest of the world can live with "sherbert"!

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When they walked into the lab I immediately remembered a past episode when Raj, Howard and Bernadette were there, Raj was monitoring the telescope, got drunk and crank-called someone and yelled "mahalo" into the phone. So when he said it again to Anu I thought it was a nice little callback.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

II want to know if it still has the cards in it! I used to spend hours and hours in libraries, shuttling back and forth between the catalogue and the shelves. Somehow, that's happy memories, even though now it's all so much more convenient.

I worked in a university library while I was in college, and one day a student ripped a card out of the card catalog to ask for the location of the book. I thought my heart would stop!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Mystery said:

I worked in a university library while I was in college, and one day a student ripped a card out of the card catalog to ask for the location of the book. I thought my heart would stop!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Did you fine her? Kick her in the ribs?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Did you fine her? Kick her in the ribs?

I *wanted* to. We had pencils and paper to write down numbers, but...  I think it's so funny that you knew it was a her! 

On 4/28/2019 at 9:28 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm a professional writer. I get to exercise my inner Sheldon about how words and their spelling, ordering, and usage should be. 🙂

• Love 4
On 4/28/2019 at 9:44 AM, Gothish520 said:

Yes I totally agree. And if I have to live with "irregardless", people who pronounce the T in "often", and "literally" used figuratively, then the rest of the world can live with "sherbert"!

Absolutely!!  And just to add sometimes being right (or rightish) makes you look pedantic (hello, Sheldon on line 1) or makes you look wrong if you are insisting on the correct pronunciation of a word that is almost always mispronounced.  Forte being one example that I learned to my cost when I said it the way you're "supposed" to say it only to have people look at me pityingly.  Sigh 🙂 .

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
Just now, Homily said:

Forte being one example that I learned to my cost when I said it the way you're "supposed" to say it only to have people look at me pityingly.  Sigh 🙂 .

Botanists and serious gardeners pronounce the "H" is herb.   I get the "oh, poor backwoods lady" look when I do it at a big box nursery.😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Botanists and serious gardeners pronounce the "H" is herb.   I get the "oh, poor backwoods lady" look when I do it at a big box nursery.😁

Let slip that you're British.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

This debate reminds me of Eddie Izzard and his stance that "it's HERB, because there's a F-ing H in it."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/28/2019 at 1:35 AM, possibilities said:

They were at Raj's planetarium event, sabotaging his presentation, and then later Howard was with Raj when the aliens were at Raj's office. Also, they were in the first scene where the discussion happens about when/where to see the movie vs when to eat dinner. And then later at home Howard showed Bernadette something online that was making fun of Raj. They didn't have their own story this week, but I'm okay with that. They get to be the focus a lot more than Raj or Leonard, in recent times. I was glad to see the others get more focus.

I want to know if it still has the cards in it! I used to spend hours and hours in libraries, shuttling back and forth between the catalogue and the shelves. Somehow, that's happy memories, even though now it's all so much more convenient.

And if it doesn't have the library catalogue cards, are they using the drawers to store fossils or something? I really want to know.

I liked the episode. I wish they had done some of these things earlier, though. I think the show has been very stagnant and it's frustrating to me that they're all of a sudden at the end doing some things that would have made things more lively if they'd happened sooner.

I worked in a library that was for historical researchers (amateur, academic, and professional).  We had one large card catalog configuration (four-sided) that contained typed and hand-written cards that mostly cross-references the "Info File," several file cabinets full of wonderful extra material on various topics.  It was a large domed room with a central echo, so it was fun to hide behind that catalog and make odd noises, or to listen to the snores echoing through the room from overwhelmed researchers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, EllenB said:

I worked in a library that was for historical researchers (amateur, academic, and professional).  We had one large card catalog configuration (four-sided) that contained typed and hand-written cards that mostly cross-references the "Info File," several file cabinets full of wonderful extra material on various topics.  It was a large domed room with a central echo, so it was fun to hide behind that catalog and make odd noises, or to listen to the snores echoing through the room from overwhelmed researchers.

"Info File" is so much better than the "correct" term for it in library jargon: Vertical File.
I'm "retiring" from an academic library at the end of May. We got rid of the card catalog and the vertical file more than 10 years ago. I think a carpenter who worked at the college used the card catalog drawers to store nuts and bolts and different sizes of nails. He had to add bottoms to the drawers. 

Anyway, I wonder if they will auction off all TBBT set pieces for charity. I hope so.

• Love 2
On 4/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I have to laugh at how Bernadette wanted to see Avengers Endgame in 3D for Thor's abs. Because I just saw the movie, and yeeeeaash, about that....

I was coming here to say the same thing 😖😖😖

• LOL 1
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:35 AM, possibilities said:

I have one from the library where I work (but not an all wood one-it was from the Children's Dept., and mostly plastic with fake wood).  I use to store cassettes in it.  Now it stores note cards with research I want to keep.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/28/2019 at 9:44 AM, Gothish520 said:

Love this!  Or how about the 95% of people that say "jive" when they should say "jibe".  Maddening!  And then they get all pissy about "sherbert".   The nerve of them!  😉 

I fully admit that there's a little word policewoman inside of me.  I own it.

Funny how many of us here once worked or work in libraries.  I worked in my university library in grad. school.  Spent many hours in the stacks both working and doing research.  I too have been wondering for over a decade what that card catalog in the living room holds.  We'll probably never know.

Sigh. 😏

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I too have been wondering for over a decade what that card catalog in the living room holds.

I suspect the set designer bought it when the show started just to fill up space (and maybe because the characters were supposed to be smart people) and it's still there. I wonder about that electronic device with the two chromium circles that looks like a reel-to-reel tape player without the tapes (but who their age would have a reel-to-reel tape recorder)?

4 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I suspect the set designer bought it when the show started just to fill up space (and maybe because the characters were supposed to be smart people) and it's still there. I wonder about that electronic device with the two chromium circles that looks like a reel-to-reel tape player without the tapes (but who their age would have a reel-to-reel tape recorder)?

I think it's a radio.  Do a Google image search "spirit of st louis field radio" for pics.  The one on the shelf appears to be missing its speaker grill, but otherwise is a match.

bbt-radio.jpg

• Love 1
On 4/28/2019 at 1:18 AM, J-Man said:

I don't know about Canada, but in the US, sherbet and sorbet are two different products. Sherbet has dairy (usually milk) in it; sorbet is just fruit, sugar, and water. 

@Homily is from Montreal and sorbet is the French word for sherbet which is why sherbet is mostly pronounced "sorbet" in her (his?) neck of the woods.

We also have sorbet, as you described it, in Canada.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/28/2019 at 1:35 AM, possibilities said:

It would be the perfect size for their miniatures.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, yimitz said:

I think it's a radio.

I had a telephone I bought in the mid 80s in the same style! (Spirit of St. Louis Field Telephone.) It looks like something else a set designer, not the characters, would buy. Thanks.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
(edited)
On 4/28/2019 at 6:10 PM, Mystery said:

Ouch!  I had the same job in college.  I had to file cards in the catalog for new books.  Three cards for each.  Author, Title, Subject.  We would alphabetize a large batch and then sit down in front of the catalog.  We'd file them them in the drawer above the rod and then pull the rod out and let all the cards drop at once.  This will likely make sense to geezers like me.  Your miscreant library patron could have pulled out the rod to get the card without ripping it!  But yes, they were supposed to use the little slips of paper and little pencils.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

As does the large DNA model, considering Sheldon's opinion of biologists.

There was a S1 episode where Sheldon was building his idea of what DNA would look like in a silicon-based life form, so he has an interest in the science, even though he doesn't value it as a career. There are probably very few occupations other than his own that he respects.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

There are probably very few occupations other than his own that he respects.

Offhand I can't think of any!  Was there ever an episode where he admired someone who wasn't a physicist?  Or at least respected what they did/do for a living?  

14 hours ago, Homily said:

Was there ever an episode where he admired someone who wasn't a physicist?

"The Great and Powerful Woz", Stan Lee, and George Lucas (even though he considers his work disappointing). Probably any Star Trek or Star Wars actor who hasn't offended him, based on the few we've seen.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:15 AM, Snow Apple said:

Since this is now a discussion (how BBT of us) I always call it sherbert and always heard it that way. I don't think I've heard anyone say sherbet. I think it's true about it being regional.

I say Sherbet. I think I'm the only person around here who does, but I do.

On 4/26/2019 at 2:54 AM, SpiritSong said:

I watched the entire 16 or 17 minutes that aired and didn't laugh once. Not a chuckle, not a smile. Never thought I'd say this but I'm glad the show is ending. I was glad to see they haven't completely dumped Anu, but nothing about her cameo was funny either. And next week, it's back to the idiotic Nobel plot? Hurry up and die, show!

i fell asleep. these actors are rich enough. glad it's ending.

(edited)

I was today years old when I found out that there was more than 1 way to pronounce sherbert and that the 2nd "r" wasn't always the correct way of spelling this word.

Mind blown.

Edited by Unclejosh
Spelling
  • Love 1