Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E20: The Decision Reverberation

Raj is worried people won't take him seriously in his own field after publishing a paper that suggests he may have discovered alien life. Also, Leonard wants to be the principal investigator on a plasma physics study.

Airdate: Thursday, April 25, 2019

While I'm glad to see Leonard found his balls after 12 years, that he's finally standing up for himself, and that he is valued at the university, the rest of the episode was pretty boring. I did laugh at the aliens in Raj's office.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

While I'm glad to see Leonard found his balls after 12 years, that he's finally standing up for himself, and that he is valued at the university, the rest of the episode was pretty boring. I did laugh at the aliens in Raj's office.

Yeah, it was great to see Leonard stand up to Sheldon, finally. Now maybe Amy can do it. The Sheldon character is really just loathsome. 

• Love 12

I watched the entire 16 or 17 minutes that aired and didn't laugh once. Not a chuckle, not a smile. Never thought I'd say this but I'm glad the show is ending. I was glad to see they haven't completely dumped Anu, but nothing about her cameo was funny either. And next week, it's back to the idiotic Nobel plot? Hurry up and die, show!

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

No laughs, but:

• I liked Penney's star print blouse and, in her last(?) scene, the upswept hairdo.
  • At the end, Sheldon's answer to what Hulk made of sherbet would be like was refreshingly concise ("delicious").

I wasn't sure whether I was more puzzled or annoyed by Raj saying "Thank you" in Hawaiian (Mahalo) to Anu when she kissed him, which I guess means they were going to have sex in his smelly lab? 

• Love 3

Stupid rain knocked out the stupid satellite signal for a few minutes near the end, just when Leonard was going to tell Penny what he's going to be doing at the university, so could someone fill me in?

42 minutes ago, Trey said:

Stupid rain knocked out the stupid satellite signal for a few minutes near the end, just when Leonard was going to tell Penny what he's going to be doing at the university, so could someone fill me in?

What I gathered was he was going to change his research topic, he prepared a presentation for the U President and he said no. Leonard was prepared to quit but they offered him a different project. So he’s staying. 

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

While I liked watching Leonard finally growing a pair after all these years, I can barely remember what else happened during the rest of the episode it was so dull. Four episodes to go....

I realized the other day that I’m not sad about the show ending. I haven’t found it funny or even all that enjoyable for the last few years. But I watch reruns daily and will continue to do so, and those will live on forever. The episodes I can watch over and over again and still laugh just as hard each time. 

Although I will admit I got a *teeny* bit emotional at some of the posts the cast shared on social media this week after their final table read. Especially the one of Johnny crying. I can’t imagine being part of something like that for 12 years and having it end. 

• Love 5
On 4/26/2019 at 8:13 AM, Trey said:

He's going to be a co-lead on a photon entanglement team.

Edited by welnoc
typo
  • Love 5

Okay, so yeah, I know, it’s a sitcom... but to make the thing Leonard wants to do without taking Penny’s feelings into consideration be “have sex” felt a little off, especially given the current societal conversations around consent. It just missed the mark for me.

Mostly though, I was just relieved to have a break from the stupid Nobel prize storyline. 

Edited by Jessa
  • Love 13

Thanks, TV Diva Queen and welnoc!

I did like seeing Leonard finally standing up for himself but they should have done that a long time ago.

I'm glad Anu is still in the picture.  I like her.

Were Bernadette and Howard even in the episode?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Trey said:

I did like seeing Leonard finally standing up for himself but they should have done that a long time ago.

Howard and Bernadette were at the planetarium.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Jessa said:

Howard and Bernadette were at the planetarium.

Thanks, I forgot about that.  Yet I thought that was the funniest part of the episode.

• Love 1

And Howard was walking with Raj when people were making jokes and when Raj discovered the aliens in his office.

The sex suggestion didn't bother me, because I think that was what Leonard wanted to do that Penny would enjoy and Leonard had been worried that she would be annoyed that he chose something that she would want to do.

• Love 6

I liked it. It was a refreshing change from the never-ending focus on Sheldon. I can't remember the last time an episode revolved around Leonard. Honestly, I can't. And poor Raj, he just can't catch a break. Usually it's his own fault but this time it wasn't. The cut to Howard reading "Cal Tech Physicist says Loch Ness Monster is Real" - I knew it was coming and it still cracked me up. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, welnoc said:

He's going to be a co-lead on a proton entanglement team.

I'm hoping that this will lead to some big success for Leonard.  It seems like he's been kind of stagnant in his work lately (except for the missile defense project, but that was eons ago!) 

It's nice to see Raj in his element too.  I would've liked to have seen more with him doing research in his field over the years. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

At the end, Sheldon's answer to what Hulk made of sherbet would be like was refreshingly concise ("delicious").

I was a little surprised he called it "sherbert". A lot of people do, but Sheldon is usually more precise.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I was a little surprised he called it "sherbert".

So was I.  It was such a little thing but it kind of grated on me. 

• Love 2

I really have to stop reading here before I see an episode, I loved this one and based on some of the comments I certainly wasn't expecting to! I thought it was definitely one of the best of the season (ok that's not saying much I guess) but it's one I can see myself watching again in eternal rerun land.  I liked that all the cast got used and totally agree with others that it was nice to see a focus on Leonard and Penny.  

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, wendyg said:

Sheldon would absolutely be the guy who corrected everyone who calls it...I can't even bring myself to type it. SHERBET. There is no second R!

Did Sheldon/Jim Parsons pronounce it sher-bert? I didn't hear it that way. But then I always have to mentally pause to be sure I say it without the second R since where I grew up it was pronounced with a second R. 

• Love 8

Sometimes it’s a regional thing. My mother pronounces foliage as “foilage,” which drives me batty. But a lot of people say it that way. I’m sure everybody has heard the nuclear vs. nuculer debate. Wrong, yes. Acceptable? Also yes.

• Love 5

When we lived in England my son was middle school age - in other words the argumentative years - and he got himself into a lot of trouble disputing the way teachers at his school pronounced certain words.  Trying to reason with him was like trying to  tell Sheldon he is wrong about something 😊!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 7

He said it, quite clearly. It's one of those seconds that tosses you out of Jim Parsons' otherwise excellent performance. The other one that always bugs me was at the beginning of Sheldon's relationship with Amy, where they are playing Counterfactuals and Sheldon talks about the Danes inventing Danish pastry. *Sheldon*  would know, though the writers didn't, that "Danish" pastry was in fact invented by Viennese bakers, who brought the pastries to Denmark during an extended period of inability to find employment at home. In Denmark, they are called "Wiener brod", or "Viennese bread".

Edited by wendyg
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

If you're talking about the sherbert vs sherbet pronunciation, it's a regional thing.  I'm sure where Jim Parsons grew up in Texas, and where Sheldon is supposed to be from, that it is the common pronunciation.

I liked the episode - it's about time that Leonard asserted himself.  I know that Amy knew what she was getting into when she got married, but she looked like she was having some doubts.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I'm sure where Jim Parsons grew up in Texas, and where Sheldon is supposed to be from, that it is the common pronunciation.

I'm from Montreal and that's the way it was always pronounced -- well the few times I can recall ever hearing it pronounced.  Sherbet is usually called sorbet in my neck of the woods.

Anyway back to the episode -- I really liked the way Penny and Leonard riffed off each other.  I've sometimes wondered if the writers ever come here and this episode made me think perhaps they do - there was a playfulness and a supportiveness in their interplay that I really enjoyed and made me think that at the very least the end game for them isn't going to be a divorce!!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Trey said:

Who?  😂 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
  • I liked Penney's star print blouse and, in her last(?) scene, the upswept hairdo.
  • At the end, Sheldon's answer to what Hulk made of sherbet would be like was refreshingly concise ("delicious").

Yeah, and I loved Penny's computer. I just spent the last week convincing myself that I didn't need a Dell XPS in Rose Gold & White, and there's Penny using one on the show. Now I'll have to talk myself down all over again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

No laughs, but:

• I liked Penney's star print blouse

For only $198, it can be yours! that's actually pretty reasonable considering the prices of a lot of the stuff that she wears (and wore, even on a waitress's salary)

https://wornontv.net/134562/

4 hours ago, wendyg said:

Sheldon would absolutely be the guy who corrected everyone who calls it...I can't even bring myself to type it. SHERBET. There is no second R!

I think of that each time he mispronounces "coitus." 

Edited by Mystery
Forgot the Worn on TV link
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I’m from the Houston area and always heard it pronounced as “bert.”

According to this 1936 article on "The Speech of East Texas," Rs are a feature of the regional dialect, so Sheldon might have corrected those who pronounced sherbet the "correct" way without the second R sound.
But I'd bet a sherbet float that my now-91-year-old mother learned the sherbert pronunciation from the 1939 Tommy Dorsey song mentioned in this Consumer Reports article on the subject.

Anyway, Leonard finally claiming Sheldon's spot was a nice end-of-series bit.

And I did like this pair of lines between Leonard and Amy:

• [LEONARD] I've always been a people pleaser. Is that so bad? It's gotten me this far.

• [AMY] What, almost up four flights of stairs?

Unfortunately, most of the dialog just didn't seem so snappy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Is Sheldon still renting his room from Leonard and Penny?  I am still a little perplexed how Sheldon started by himself in the big apartment and somehow lost not only the apartment but also all the furniture.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Is Sheldon still renting his room from Leonard and Penny?  I am still a little perplexed how Sheldon started by himself in the big apartment and somehow lost not only the apartment but also all the furniture.

When Leonard first signed the Roommate Agreement, the only furniture was (IIRC) 2 folding lawn chairs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Well, technically, the couch is Leonard's and Sheldon wasn't too happy about it (until he claimed his spot on it). Don't know about the rest of the furniture. (I still want the card catalog that's in the back part of the living room).

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well, technically, the couch is Leonard's and Sheldon wasn't too happy about it (until he claimed his spot on it).

I saw part of an episode today where Sheldon says something like  he lays claim to the sofa.  I forget offhand which rerun this was in as I only saw a snippet or two.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Well, technically, the couch is Leonard's and Sheldon wasn't too happy about it (until he claimed his spot on it). Don't know about the rest of the furniture. (I still want the card catalog that's in the back part of the living room).

And I desperately want them to put a dining table and chairs there. It would be another great FU to Sheldon.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Yeah, that never made any sense to me.  The storyline was that Sheldon wanted a neutral spot (neither his or Amy's apartment) for them to live together, but it's just so out of character for Sheldon to have given up most of his creature comforts in that way.  I thought that after a short time, he and Amy would be back in HIS apartment surrounded by HIS memorabilia.  

As far as sherbet goes, I grew up in the south and we always pronounced it as "bert," even though the container clearly shows sherbet!   I like it no matter how you say it!

7 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

And I desperately want them to put a dining table and chairs there.

I know that it's a trend not to have a dining table, but I simply cannot eat every meal on my lap!  I grew up when we had family meals at the table, and eating on the sofa was a big no-no!  It's bugged me with this show because there's usually one person sitting on the floor eating.  Oh well, the gang tried using a table, but didn't like it.  I know that having them sit around the coffee table is what works for the show, so I just ignore how uncomfortable it makes me to think about having a plate on my lap!  YMMV.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 9

Add me to the list of who was gobsmacked to hear Sheldon say sherbet with an extra r. That seemed so utterly unlike him. I thought he would go into his "fun fact" repertoire.