Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Until the Weather Breaks

mxc90
  • Start Topic

First Aired: April 24, 2019

A horrible storm wreaks havoc on Chicago and impacts Firehouse 51 when the power goes off. A little boy mysteriously shows up at the station and everyone works together to uncover who he belongs to and why he ended up there. Foster and Kidd argue about Severide.

(edited)

How is Severide good for business at Molly's? 

For a while, I thought there was a second kid. Didn't realize there was a mirror in the truck. 

Were those 2 unintelligible calls trying to come through real? If so, isn't there a backup plan to relay calls? They can't go out because the eletrical/communication system is down?

House 51, where anyone can walk in, stow away to, stay for a while, get coffee, sleep in their bunk, knockout Otis, attempt to shoot a kid/Kidd, and if you hold a gun to them, they have no fear/get closer to you. 

Otis foolishly turns his back to the guy after finding out he's a fraud. Otis was hurt their niceness was taken advatage, is he leaning towards building a wall around the house now?

What was Garrett's plan when he showed up at the station anyway? Too bad he didn't know the kid already knew the "code" and was already in silent mode.

No budget for the show this week and all the action stayed in house.

The kid could find a better hiding spot?

Foster didn't see Kelly and the guy fighting in her path, so she just kept driving?

Chief's contribution to the "tense" scene, he yells: Get out of our firehouse!"

Ruzek to the kid: Word on the street, you are one brave son of a bitch. He has a way with the words!

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I know there were plot holes but I still enjoyed this episode. It's the only one I'll watch again if it airs along with the hockey bus episode. I much prefer these type of episodes than the crew just go on random two minute calls. I just feel more invested in what happens when it spans the whole episode.

When the boy refused to speak at first, I thought he just didn't speak English, lol. I was ready for him to only speak Russian or Spanish or something and Otis or Cruz to step in. 

• Love 4

Dumbest electricians ever to have gotten their licenses. I'm sitting here unlicensed knowing you don't trot out a metal ladder to use during an electrical storm.

i also wondered if the kid didn't speak English. Don't they have some toys around for kids to play with?

• Love 5

I thought the episode was pretty good, too.  It didn't have too much of the dumb stuff that they do on incidents, ladder work excepted.  The biggest complaint I had was that Hermann was insulting and disparaging the guy, and I was saying "Don't antagonize the guy with a gun.  He's already killed someone (allegedly), and he can't get any worse by killing a second person."

3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

For a while, I thought there was a second kid.

Yup, me too.  I kept wondering when the subject was going to come up.

Foster and Kidd are one step closer, and so are Casey and Brett.  With his luck, his surprise ticket will be to......Puerto Rico!

I think that Severide actually ran the gunman into the front of the ambulance as she was coming into the bay.  Then she stopped and they dropped to floor.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Foster and Kidd are one step closer, and so are Casey and Brett.  With his luck, his surprise ticket will be to......Puerto Rico!

Yep, I had the same thought about Puerto Rico. Was also thinking if a certain paramedic was still at 51, adoption proceedings would be underway for the runaway kid.

I also thought I saw two kids hiding in the truck at the beginning of the episode. But it was a mirror in the compartment.

vlcsnap-00010.jpg

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, preeya said:

Yep, I had the same thought about Puerto Rico. Was also thinking if a certain paramedic was still at 51, adoption proceedings would be underway for the runaway kid.

I also thought I saw two kids hiding in the truck at the beginning of the episode. But it was a mirror in the compartment.

vlcsnap-00010.jpg

The mirror does make sense and I did think there was two kids as well. 

I know it was just a plot but how can a kid get in the compartment as I would think there might be someone near the Engine. 

I liked the chat with Stella and Foster but they seem to be having miscommunications lately. 

I did think Otis thought the guy was a bit strange coming in like he did. 

EDIT: 

Carmen Sandiego it? Does Brett know that she's a thief? 😂

Edited by Waterston Fan
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

All I can say is, it's a good thing Gabby wasn't there anymore because she'd want to adopt that kid. (oops, jink! preeya!)

Pretty good episode despite some clumsy errors like the metal ladder in the thunderstorm, although to be fair Casey did remark that the electric guys didn't seem to be the cream of the crop.

Also, minor nitpick, but when Sylvie asked Boden to take ambulance 61 out of service and he agreed so she could watch the kid, but after she left with the kid to go to the police station he told Stella to cover for her until she got back. Huh? Either he took 61 out of service or he didn't.

I could do without all the Stella/Severide angst, it's making Stella look like she's still in junior high. "Did he say anything about me? Do you think he still likes me? Do you think I should go talk to him? Did you see him looking at me? Do you think he's acting strange around me?" Cripes, lady, grow up.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I did think Otis thought the guy was a bit strange coming in like he did. 

After this, every stranger strolling into 51 better be prepared to be patted down and asked for two forms of ID from Otis.

4 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I know it was just a plot but how can a kid get in the compartment as I would think there might be someone near the Engine. 

Another Hermman screw up. He was in a rush to watch "Dateline" and never checked.

There should have been a scene of him or the kid's parents getting yelled at.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4

I have forgotten what the call for the engine was, but it's possible that everyone would be away from the rig at some point, allowing the kid access.  In real life, far more problematic is the fact that most compartments are jammed full of stuff and there isn't room for for 3 1/2' - 4' high kid to fit in there.  Additionally, given Hermann's past behavior, he should have dressed the crew down for leaving a compartment door open after returning.  That would have led to everyone on the crew denying that they did it, so when the kid was found, it would have been a much faster leap to figure out how he got to the station.

ETAL  I think it was actually Casey who found the door open, but he should have told Hermann, who then should have told the crew.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 3

A better outing for Fire this week. 

My only quibbles would be that Hermann sees a brief news report that doesn't mention a kid and suddenly he rushes to the truck and comes back with a hat and declares the kid is obviously involved...it needed a bit more effort put into that particular scene. They could have cut the angsty Kidd drama to expand that out a bit. 

They continue to write all the women in these one chicago shows as love-sick puppies moping over their men, when do they ever have a conversation about anything other than their love lives or lack thereof?

Kidd is the latest to be hit with the emotionally crippled because of man trouble brush.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

And what kind of idiots climb a metal ladder on to a roof in the middle of a thunderstorm?

If they have a structure fire, how do the firefighters get up to the roof?  Most engines/trucks carry metal ladders now.

4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

If they have a structure fire, how do the firefighters get up to the roof?  Most engines/trucks carry metal ladders now.

That's why the truckees make the big bucks <grin>. Can't let the nozzlemen hog all the glory.

What really bothered me the most were those two toneouts that were completely ignored. Your house is on fire, you dial 911 and give them the address, they tone out the first-due companies and get no response at all. Uh-huh. Besides aren't voice alarms these days basically backups or supplemental to teleprinters? Plus everybody would have their HT set to Main. That really bothered me.

I wish there'd been a security camera or another FF in the room when Stella shielded that boy and stood up to the gunman so word could get out about her actions. Goes against every aspect of self-preservation, but it was the only play she could call with no time left on the clock. And no one except the boy (and the perp) will ever know what she did. But isn't that what they say about character? It's what you do and how you act when nobody's watching.

• Love 2

This was good episode, minus the fact that there was still some more Severide-Kidd awkward drama that was a waste of time, IMO. And the fact that the firefighter imposter was able to sell his story so easily to firehouse. I could tell from the get-go he seemed odd. Driving from Detroit to Green Bay, through the city of Chicago, and not the interstate? Ok.

• Love 2
On 4/24/2019 at 10:02 PM, SuzieQ said:

So how long before Sylvie and Matt are boinking?

I say Season Finale. With a Cliffhanger Surpise of Dawson coming back to Casey's place and either Matt answering the door with a Brett clad only in his shirt behind him or Brett answering the Door clad in only his shirt to see Dawson at his door lol. I'm for it cause Brett doesnt annoy me like Dawson did 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, jay741982 said:

I say Season Finale. With a Cliffhanger Surpise of Dawson coming back to Casey's place and either Matt answering the door with a Brett clad only in his shirt behind him or Brett answering the Door clad in only his shirt to see Dawson at his door lol. I'm for it cause Brett doesnt annoy me like Dawson did 

I could see that!

• Love 3
On 4/24/2019 at 10:02 PM, SuzieQ said:

So how long before Sylvie and Matt are boinking?

Well they have both done it with a Dawson which is kind of weird. I think if they hook the two of them up I will probably be done with this show. It just seems so lame how two very attractive people who meet a ton of people every day can't seem to find a decent relationship with someone who isn't a main character on this show. Brett seems to be the worst at this, but Casey is prettu terrible to for a fire fighting ex-city councilor/ construction guy.

• Love 2
On 5/1/2019 at 12:58 AM, jay741982 said:

That's definitely where they are going with this. You know this going to happen. You just know it.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, langford peel said:

That's definitely where they are going with this. You know this going to happen. You just know it.

I'll will laugh if it does cause I dont like Dawson and I can almost see Dawson acting like her best friend slept with her husband when if I remember correctly Her and Casey are divorced right? I also think we are headed for Brett/Casey hookup cause Brett is now the Lead female with Dawson gone and since Severide is likely getting back with Stella. Also the Dawson factor as Brett and Casey were the closest to Her and Derek Haas probably figures he can get some mileage out of it 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Well they have both done it with a Dawson which is kind of weird. I think if they hook the two of them up I will probably be done with this show. It just seems so lame how two very attractive people who meet a ton of people every day can't seem to find a decent relationship with someone who isn't a main character on this show. Brett seems to be the worst at this, but Casey is prettu terrible to for a fire fighting ex-city councilor/ construction guy.

I agree but its probably the seeming  need to have Casey and Severide bang Co workers that's a factor for the Showrunner/Writers 

I actually don't think it will happen. They are making it way too obvious, even for these limited writers. It seems like the showrunner, Haas who has been known to troll the fans is having way too much fun with it and getting a kick out of all the backlash.

It's hilarious watching the Dawson twits melting down over it and I almost want it to happen for that reason alone, to watch them lose their minds but I just don't think they will do it. 

I mean it would be a giant step up for Casey though.

• Love 2
On 5/1/2019 at 9:56 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Could not agree more. I've been saying this for PD and Med as well. Not to mention, it gives Casey a bad look. Having romantic relationships with two paramedics who used to be partners on the same rig? Ugh. If they're representing the CFD, have them find a real love OUTSIDE of the firehouse. Let Casey find love like Boden did with Donna. And with her not being in the firehouse, most of their relationship drama is kept off the screen, instead of constantly being thrown in your face, like with Kelly and Stella.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, Waterston Fan said:

Is next Wednesday the new episode? 

Yes, it is.

I will say I'm all for Casey being like Hermann Mouch Otis and Cruz and having a girlfriend/Wife outside of the firehouse. I liked Naomi earlier this season and I'm not opposed to them bringing her back and Casey and Her hooking up back up/Becoming a couple 

• Love 1