Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Thug Death

While investigating a murder case with no body and no brain to eat, the only evidence Liv and Clive have to work with is a grainy video and a little bit of blood found at the crime scene. Meanwhile, Blaine is up to his old tricks.

Promo:

Original air date: 5/2/19

It's been so long since this show was on, that I totally forgot about it. I hope this season is more like the original season, because the last 2 kind of sucked.

• Love 3
On 4/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, Superclam said:

I sadly agree. First season was good, second one was surprisingly better, then it dropped off. The fourth was worse than the third. 

Ehen they started short seasons. I still think that was the problem. I hope they can pull a coherent ending together. 

Could be. The first season was only 13 episodes, though. For me, the Fillmore-Graves story line never took off, and it was 2 whole seasons. I liked when it was brain of the week with Blaine as the villain. I guess the writers got kind of bored with that. 

• Love 5

I see this was Rahul Kohli's audition for a future Guy Ritchie movie!  I did like that Ravi was the only one brains here, and Liv got to be one of the "normal" ones this go around.

I'm glad that the show is back, but I definitely agree that it seemed to kind of lose its way in the last season (I enjoyed the third one more than others), and I'm fine with them wrapping up now.  I'm still not all that interested in the zombie vs. humans story, and I miss the simple "cases of the week", and the more low stakes feud with Blaine as the main villain.  Hopefully they'll finish strong, but the premiere was par for the corse more or less.

I am a little giddy that Bryce Hodgson got upgraded to regular status this season, since Don E has always been a fun presence here.  Also, I see Jessica Harmon is going to continue to pull double duty with this and The 100!

Since this is the final season, I really hope Major isn't stuck by himself with Fillmore Graves for the majority of the season, and will get to interact with the rest of the cast more.

Finally, once again, not many on television can top Malcolm Goodwin when it comes to the hilarious facial expressions and reaction shots!

• Love 9

I watched, & I didn't really care. I'll finish the season because I've been with the show from the beginning, but I really have no interest anymore.

• Love 8

I thought it seemed better than the last 2 seasons, since all the main characters seem to be in positions of power.  Maybe if they work together they can figure out a peaceful coexistence between the humans and the zombies.

• Love 1

I enjoyed it.

I thought the girls from foster care coming into Seattle might be an idea-- human volunteers to come in could maintain the non-zombie population inside the walls, so why wouldn't they be welcome? If they don't have an illness they want cured via zombie-ism, they could serve as a trade-- for everyone who volunteers to come in, one non-zombie can be allowed to leave.

I don't think the problem with the girls coming in was they weren't welcome but that the US government wouldn't let them in because it doesn't really want anyone coming or going and they didn't have IDs so an already risky operation was harder.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I enjoyed it.

I thought the girls from foster care coming into Seattle might be an idea-- human volunteers to come in could maintain the non-zombie population inside the walls, so why wouldn't they be welcome? If they don't have an illness they want cured via zombie-ism, they could serve as a trade-- for everyone who volunteers to come in, one non-zombie can be allowed to leave.

I think the problem is the US government doesn't want the zombie population to get any larger, so no normal people are allowed in. The US government doesn't want the zombie population to infect the rest of the U.S. population, so nobody of any kind zombie/normal is allowed out.

• Love 2

They didn’t really explain why one brain=one cure. They confirmed it, though. I liked the researcher fangirling on Ravi and I’m glad there will be some collaboration. 

I liked the empty store and the difficulty of getting supplies  and the car bomb. Triple dipped fries  

Honestly I liked all four seasons fairly well and prefer arc shows to week by week procedurals.  Still I’m glad Chase Graves is dead. He got a lot more screen time than his storyline deserved and there wasn’t a place for him in the core group.

• Love 3

Blaine's car commercial was the perfect send up of the stupid faux-serious ads (many of which I am forced to watch on YouTube).

I love whenever they the extras a few lines. In my mind, it's because Rob Thomas is trying to let more people earn their SAG cards.

I wish the new doctor hadn't told the other doctors about the Freylich syndrome connection at all because what if one of the other researchers decides to pursue it? She should have just said she thought she found something but it didn't pan out.

Awwww, I loved seeing Weevil again!

Heh, Liv's crack about Blaine speaking about himself in the third person was great.

While Ravi's rage was a bit out of hand, he wasn't wrong about Johnny Frost being inappropriate. OF COURSE he thinks it's okay to put his hand on a female guest's leg.

I feel like the show has really painted itself into a corner with this whole quarantine thing. Knowing it's the last season, I wish they had gone in a different direction so that we wouldn't have to spend all season on this new world order.

I'm just happy to see the characters again. I love their relationships and interactions. I'm glad that we're back to undisguised disgust whenever Blaine enters a room. It cracked me up when he hugged Major.

• Love 6

Did anyone notice the doctors' names when head-research-doctor guy was introducing his team and suggesting the new girl-doctor "with the humble beginnings" work closer with them? Dr. Rich, Dr. White & Dr. Mann. This episode was strong with the side-eye and the girl-power.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I wish the new doctor hadn't told the other doctors about the Freylich syndrome connection at all because what if one of the other researchers decides to pursue it? She should have just said she thought she found something but it didn't pan out.

Especially since she pretty much admittedd it would work but it was impractical because of the volume of brains needed vs the number available. I'm going to be really surprised if this doesn't bite them in the ass later.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GaT said:

I watched, & I didn't really care. I'll finish the season because I've been with the show from the beginning, but I really have no interest anymore.

Sadly, this is me, too. I enjoy some of the bits and pieces, but as a whole, the series hopped the track a few seasons ago for me. Still, I really like all the actors, so finishing the series won't be a chore.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I feel like the show has really painted itself into a corner with this whole quarantine thing. Knowing it's the last season, I wish they had gone in a different direction so that we wouldn't have to spend all season on this new world order.

The whole Fillmore Graves plot shouldn't have lasted more than one season, it changed the show from a show about Liv trying to live a normal life & helping to solves crimes without anyone finding out she's a zombie, into a dystopian continuing arc that never ends. Major started out as a social worker, now he's head of an army, WTF show?

• Love 12
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Very true. I can't say I like the military stuff as well. It's painted Major into a corner with what storylines he's allowed to be a part of and in what way, and the military stuff really is boring. Plus, I feel like we really got g***** of zombie Major getting to eat brains and develop different personalities. With the very few times we actually got to see Major take on a different personality, Robert Buckley was fantastic. Alas, now he is pretty much the straight-edged military guy who doesn't get any real scenes with the rest of the cast. He doesn't get to have fun with Liv or Ravi or even Blaine because he has to keep everyone at peace. I'm hoping that, this season, we'll see some episodes where Major will get to eat actual brains and not from the tube. 

I don't like the direction the show has taken since late season 3. They could have continued with the really fun stuff, but it feels like it's gotten all muddled with military/political plots and smuggling plots, none of those which I watch the show for. The police stuff with Liv/Clive is great, as is Ravi's science plot. I like Don E as well. 

Ravi being a zombie for a little while is kind of fun, and basically a reminder of what this show used to be about. 

I did enjoy the episode enough. It did have some fairly funny moments, and I do love the cast, so that's pretty much why I'm sticking around, even if the arcs aren't compelling to me.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Blaine's car commercial was the perfect send up of the stupid faux-serious ads (many of which I am forced to watch on YouTube).

I took this as a direct dig at the Matthew McConaughey car commercials. Hilarious.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I think it was a solid episode. Certainly better than most of what we got last season. The only thing holding me back on it was... I've forgotten a lot from last season, because I never had much urge to re-watch it. So I even had to keep thinking about even things like who's a zombie and who isn't. I'm pretty sure Johny Frost is. I think Peyton isn't. Don't even ask me what or where Stacey Boss is...

I probably should at least re-watched last season's finale to prime myself. But me not remembering stuff is kind of my fault. Everything new added this week seemed solid and accessible, even though the whole Renegade storyline continues to bug me. Dear Liv: The goal is supposed to be curing zombies. If instead you spend half your time planning ways to make more of them... I think you're doing it wrong.

Best thing about the episode was Ravi. I wanted to see him get into a few brawls, but when that didn't happen I was also fine with having my expectations subverted. He was there to entertain, and he did. 

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

Best thing about the episode was Ravi. I wanted to see him get into a few brawls, but when that didn't happen I was also fine with having my expectations subverted. He was there to entertain, and he did. 

Yeah, I was surprised at how huge Ravi looked. He certainly looked tough, which was surprising since I never got that feeling at any other point in the series. Although played over-the-top, that was some pretty good acting.

• Love 1

Glad to have the show back, but I'm over the quarantined zombie city story. Cure them already, but that probably won't happen until the series finale. And I really hope it's not because of the miracle baby. I think I got the most joy (and possibly only joy) from the Dr. Shark Body name (or whatever it was). Nice to see them circling back around to Ravi's CDC storyline. Don E is always a slimey treasure. Also, thanks for the gratuitous shot of Blaine is those swim trunks.

• Love 2

I am alone in still loving this show I guess.

I like how ambitious it is. I like its analogies to real life and I like what it has to say about people and society.

I enjoyed this episode, Ravi's OTT brain notwithstanding, although Blaine's behaviour is so disgusting - even for a villain - that I can't enjoy him on my screen anymore.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

I am alone in still loving this show I guess.

Nope, I'm still loving it too. I don't even mind Blaine.

But, can someone remind me what is up with Ravi? He's not a full on zombie, is he?

9 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

But, can someone remind me what is up with Ravi? He's not a full on zombie, is he?

He's kind of like a cured zombie who has breakouts. I was trying to remember how that happened and am coming up blank. I think he tested one of his cures on himself and it only mostly-worked?

• Useful 1
On 5/5/2019 at 6:42 AM, AngelKitty said:

Nope, I'm still loving it too. I don't even mind Blaine.

I think he turns into a zombie for a few days every month - that's why he called it his monthly. 🙂 

I'm glad it's back, but I've only just watched it today. So that Suicide bomber was human? What was the point of that? I missed what was blown up. Was it the checkpoint? If they don't like zombies, why do that? 

I don't like Blaine, but that commercial was amusing. 

I don't think Peyton has ever been a zombie. 

• Love 1