Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E23: What I Did for Love

• Start Topic

On 5/3/2019 at 10:40 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Insurance fraud? SO unnecessary. I know that they were trying to emphasize the atrocities currently happening with family separation and immigration, but they could have done this with Meredith NOT committing fraud. 

For a minute during Webber's smack-down, I thought they were trying to show how well meaning social justice warrior types can make things significantly worse for the people they're advocating for (it never occurred to Mer that HER insurance fraud would get the poor man deported and have consequences for his wife's status).

But then I remembered Grey's Anatomy is incapable of a nuanced depiction of any critical issues.

Ripley showed more personality in this episode than in the increasingly dreary Station 19. So of course he had to die. But seriously, Maggie is discussing his care with subordinates so freely. Shouldn't she have really only been able to speak to Boris Kodjoe as he was a chief as well? I'd be really pissed if my doctor was so open with my junior staff that I barely interact with. 

Owen's magical therapy is just offensive as hell now. He's that horrible fuckboy ex that pops back into your life when you're happily finally moving on. 

• Love 5

Ugh I just know they are going to make Meredith say she loves Deluca back. The only reason she ran out is because she was all nervous she loves someone again. I know this is how it’s gonna go down because this show and the writers suck. Deluca and Meredith are the worst!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Are any of these people capable of saving a personal conversation for an appropriate time and place?

Presumably the staff knows there are two Dr. Karevs in the hospital. When someone asks for "Dr. Karev" why would they not clarify which one they are looking for? (And how did the two doctors discuss this case without making it clear who was the donor and who was travelling? And why would the donor be a patient being actively treated? At first I assumed it was a former patient so the doctor knew their blood type and maybe checks the database from time to time (or gets an alert of some sort) to see if someone is looking for that blood type. Other than connecting them why would the doctor in Canada even need to be involved in the plans if the donor was just donating out of the goodness of their heart? I've thought too much about this, I know.)

I might have cared about why the fire chief was buying flowers if I actually watched Station 19... but I doubt it.

Uh, no, Tom, you don't assign hospital interns to clean your house. I grew up in a 3-bedroom house. It's not that big. My parents still live there. They're in their 70s and manage to keep it clean.

[Does anyone else read "HAOG" in these comments as "hay-ogg"?]

Insurance fraud is fixing the system? You're part owner of the hospital...you're head of the department...you could do the surgery pro bono, work out a payment plan with the father, let him pay what he can and write off the rest. Several options that are not insurance fraud. That's just off the top of my head and I'm not even a doctor. And of course the kid turns out to have another condition that would require long-term treatment. What was she going to do then? I assume she'll straighten out the insurance issue and pass it off it as a mixup in the record-keeping. Oops! How did my kid's name get on there? I'll be sure to have our records people take a look at that!

So Richard's solution is a different kind of insurance fraud? (Also bugged by the fact that his first concern was all about him.)

So Maggie asked the firefighter a question pertaining to the chief's condition and her response is to babble about how she's making her nervous? Hopefully someone will share what happened because I'm not watching the other show. [And thank you to izabella for that.]

14 hours ago, sarkygal said:

I'd be really pissed if my doctor was so open with my junior staff that I barely interact with. 

HIPAA only exists when it's convenient. Why did the junior people even need to be there? Does the guy have no family? And the girlfriend wasn't responding to messages. Did anyone actually tell her he was in the hospital? Because it seems unlikely someone who wanted to marry the guy wouldn't have responded to such a message (granted I don't watch the show so I have no idea what the character is like; maybe she's just that petty).

• Love 4

Gah! I just binge-watched the last 3 episodes and I couldn’t hit “fast forward” quick enough. 

Station 19-just stop, it’s not a thing. And Glasses babbling on just made him look even more like an ass if that’s even possible. 

I was all for Linc giving Glasses a talking to and telling him to stop making the situation about himself. Go Linc! 

Maggie-she’s not a thing either. She’s releasing medical information about her patient to subordinate firefighters who have no right to said info. Can’t the HIPAA police just come in and drag Maggie out in cuffs? That would make me so happy. 

Maggie and Jackson-no chemistry. Whatsoever. And she won’t even say she will move in with him. Ugh. 

Jo-ridiculous. I’m tired of her pouting and lashing out and not even including Alex in on any of her experience with her bio mom. The storyline has gone on way too long and I’m sorry but she’s acting like a brat. 

End rant. Until the next one, that is. 

• Love 11

I just don't get the Jo meltdown. This is a character who was able to survive and thrive despite a dismal childhood. She lived in her car at one point and had the fortitude and to overcome an abusive ex-husband from whom she ran and started a whole new identity. It's hard to square THAT Jo with the one who is so shaken by her birth mother's news that she completely falls apart, comes to work drunk and shuts out her friends and beloved husband. I might be willing to suspend disbelief if we had never known that Jo had previously been so resilient but this version makes zero sense. 

• Love 13
On 5/3/2019 at 11:07 AM, AnnieHeights said:

Christina deserves better....

In my head, she's sleeping with Shane Ross. And leading him around like a puppy, because she is Cristina, and he's too nice to stop her from being the boss.  

• Love 3

I think something horrible happened to Jo after she left her birth mother . I’m thinking she may have been attacked by someone and didn’t or couldn’t fight back and is feeling out of control and scared. Or she got drunk and can’t remember if she slept with someone and can’t deal with it.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Whatever she’s got stuck in her craw I wish they’d just deal with it. Drawing it out like this is not whetting my appetite. It’s making me lose interest.

That's exactly it! It's to the point now where she is 30 minutes from being checked into pysch. 

• Love 2
On 5/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, hookedontv said:

Maggie-she’s not a thing either. She’s releasing medical information about her patient to subordinate firefighters who have no right to said info. Can’t the HIPAA police just come in and drag Maggie out in cuffs? That would make me so happy. 

On Station 19, Maggie actually did respect HIPAA. Ripley's sister showed up and told her not to talk to anyone else and Maggie listened. But of course the sister was presented as being in the wrong, because she was trying to keep information from Vic, who loved Ripley.

• Love 2
On 5/4/2019 at 9:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Oh, Maggie, you're about to move in with someone and you're having a conversation that begins with "If you knew me at all"? Maybe that's a sign right there. Another sign: making excuses to Jackson about how (1) you have to discuss it with Meredith first and then (2) not discussing it with Meredith and (3) claiming it was because things were so busy in the morning. Those are not the actions of a person who really wants to move in with her boyfriend. Maggie and Jackson moving in together took up way too much of my time because I just don't care. I like Jackson but his relationship with Maggie is of no interest to me.

I also don't care about the Station 19 people so between the fire chief and Maggie's Jackson stuff, I felt like half of the episode was a waste of my time.

Also on my Do No Care list: Schmitt and HAOG.

I was all for Amelia telling Owen to mind his own damn business when he started asking her about Linc. High five! Now keep it up! Keep Owen at arm's length and keep having hot sex with Linc!

I'm glad that therapy is working for Owen but I feel like similar to how you aren't supposed to get into a relationship the first year that you're in recovery, Owen shouldn't be jumping into "I'm going to declare my love (AGAIN)" after one whole therapy session. And it's a dick move to see that both of your exes are happily involved with other people and decide that you're going to try to break that up because you realized that you have FEELINGS.

As nice as it was for Koracik to find an apartment for Teddy before the baby was born, I'm pretty sure you can't rent an apartment for someone else so unless he applied for the apartment and let them run his credit report because he's going to pay for it, that was some creative license. I know that should be the least of my concerns on this show given the way they treat real world things, but still.

When Teddy was talking about how awesome her apartment in Germany was, I found myself kind of hoping that she would move back there and take Owen with her. I would much rather keep Koracik and be rid of Owen so although I think both she and Amelia are both too good for Owen, if this is the way we get him off my tv, SO BE IT.

Yes! All I took from that conversation was Maggie is selfish and made it all about her. She's all know me and love me who I am but I'm going to ignore you and who you are. I'm going to run out on you every time because I'm an immature 13 year old. 

• Love 2

Is what Maggie did really all that much worse than what Meredith did when DeLuca told her that he loved her?  Of the three 'deer in the headlights' romantic plots, the only one that I felt any sympathy for was the fire chief's because even though he botched it at first, he tried everything he could to fix it.

I could fanwank that finding out that she was a result of rape was the last straw for Jo but the way this is being written, any sympathy I could have for her is running out. Speak to your damn husband, Jo!

• Love 4

I’m confused about this episode. I’m not even going to touch on all the crossover, glasses, deluca, Jo stuff-because that all irritates me too much

but the insurance fraud story....why? Why did she need to commit fraud to treat this girl? They did pro bono surgery all the time in the past, if they’re willing to donate their own time then why did she need to go to these lengths? I’m baffled. 

Several series ago they built a little boy some ears, completely free-now in season 15 they can’t perform lifesaving surgery on a young girl for free? 

(edited)

Station 19 do not look. But the story with the boss was intrigued ...  What disease was he found ??? I hope, they will tell about it in more detail and return the patient to bed.

At Joe look pained already, yes. Especially, the moment impressed when she sobbed on the shoulder of the patient's mother. It was terrible. Poor Alex. Again he has a broken girl ...

And yes, Meredith, of course, well done. In quotes! Wanted to help the patient... But why did she put the name of her daughter on the sheet? She could have simply paid for operation, but she decided to cheat. Well, let's see how it ends for her!

Edited by Friendly kitty