Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E07: Elegance Is the New Black

• Start Topic

Tessa is worried about saying something about curvy models & offending the judges, but doesn’t seem to care about offending the curvy models who are standing right there.

I knew Sonia was out as soon as she decided not to make the kimono. Her dress was well made, but it looked like a basic "I'm a grown woman now" prom dress. Nothing special about it at all.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, GaT said:

I knew Sonia was out as soon as she decided not to make the kimono. Her dress was well made, but it looked like a basic "I'm a grown woman now" prom dress. Nothing special about it at all.

IKR? Sorry to see her go too. The addition of the kimono might have secured a win for her.

• Love 2

Yes,  Hester got critiqued,  because the judges wanted to a.) give her more air-time to explain her design; b.) laugh about and excuse the risque' nature of her dress; c.) caution Hester for future challenges;  d.) other. But elimination was not in the equation. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Yes,  Hester got critiqued,  because the judges wanted to a.) give her more air-time to explain her design; b.) laugh about and excuse the risque' nature of her dress; c.) caution Hester for future challenges;  d.) other. But elimination was not in the equation. 

For sure! As much as I haven’t been a fan of what Hester has presented (or her) and I wasn’t a fan of the pastie dress, I can really see some celebrities wearing that on the red carpet. Look at what the K girls wear out and about. 

They’re not trying to appeal to us mere mortals. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I’m so glad Brandon Maxwell called all of them (esp Tessa) on the “curvy” model issue.  What a shock, all the thin models went first.  I WAS surprised that Mimi wasn’t the first model picked since they all seem to love her. 

Brandon Maxwell is a hypocrite trying to be politically correct.  The models he uses on the runway and in print are classically tall and thin.  And the “curvy” model who was picked last sucks.  She walks like a guy, very heavy footed.  The one Tessa got is better but like Tessa said you have to worry about supporting large breasts and account for, well, more curves.   

Some of designs would not have looked nearly as good on the heavier models.  The pasties would have been obscene.   The plaid dress wouldn’t have worked as well.  

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

He uses curvy models in his show and ad campaigns. In fact, his mom and grandma are always models in his shows as well. Plus, he regularly designs for more curvy celebrities. 

I can’t remember if the show mentioned this, but that was Brandon’s partner photographing Brandon and Karlie at the studio. 

I’ve looked at his most recent runway shows and there were no curvy models.  He might have done it occasionally because it’s a trend or to get some publicity but that’s not typical.  It’s also a trend to use a token older person, family member or celebrity.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, nb360 said:

Is it just me, or did Karlie’s outfit during the runway show look like Jamal’s “waitress tuxedo” outfit from last week ?

I was thinking more Seinfeld circa 1996 - Sue Ellen Mischke.

1424118A-9BFC-47F2-BC5E-80087C345896.jpeg

• LOL 15
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Some of designs would not have looked nearly as good on the heavier models.  The pasties would have been obscene.   The plaid dress wouldn’t have worked as well.  

It’s the unfortunate truth. I’m old and I can say that. I didn’t think 60 would be the new 80. I jest, kind of, But I think Garo, the corset guy, does design to a curvier figure, although he’s just pushing the body around, I like him for the effort. 

Has Sebastian had Kate or another curvy model in this competition?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I did wonder once or twice if in the history of PR someone has been eliminated even though he/she had immunity.

I don't remember anyone being eliminated when they had immunity, but I do remember Gretchen and her minions trying with all they had to get Michael Costello eliminated on a team challenge, when he had immunity (and didn't deserve to be eliminated).  Heidi was having none of it.  I loved her that week.

3 hours ago, AntAnn said:

For sure! As much as I haven’t been a fan of what Hester has presented (or her) and I wasn’t a fan of the pastie dress, I can really see some celebrities wearing that on the red carpet. Look at what the K girls wear out and about. 

And... that says everything you need to know about that dress and elegance.

Okay, I'm just gonna be that girl and say it's impossible to make pasties elegant.

This episode was full of mixed messages.  We have Brandon telling the designers that elegance isn't about money, whilst giving them a budget of $400, then we cut to Christian at Mood telling them their fabrics needed to look and feel expensive.  Then we have the judging...  Yeesh.

Sebastian was robbed.  That dress was elegant, beautiful, a complement to the bag, and creative.  I'd have swapped out either Venny or Lela and put Sebastian in the Top with him winning.  (Sorry, Jamall!  I loved your emergence from your cocoon this week, but... Sebastian's design was better.)  Venny's dress, I mean, I liked it, but if you wanna talk lack of creativity, Judges, that right there.  Who hasn't seen that dress before?  And Lela's, again, I thought it was okay, but I'm never on board with making the hips and butt look bigger, which this dress did.

The Bottom 3, I would've swapped out Sonia for Tessa, and sent Bishme home.  His design was tortured and ugly.  And if we're still talking lack of creativity, Judges, let's talk Tessa, whose design was a variation on the same thing she puts down the runway pretty much every week, with even less thought and execution.  I'd've been okay with her getting the boot, too.  Did I hear her actually say she wanted to hide her model's curves?

Oy.  Why does everything have to be "modern and fresh" - read "young" - Elaine?  Why can't something just be beautiful?

Edited by Fellaway
Because I wasn't done kvetching after all.
  • Love 23

This season started out as fun and refreshing after the nonsense over on Lifetime. Somehow, I'm not enjoying these last few episodes.

IMO, two of the more interesting looks - Sebastian and Garo - were safe. I liked Vennie's use of color (which was lacking in many of the other looks) but felt it should have been "safe."  Same for Lela's look - I've seen versions of her look everywhere. 

Tessa continues to get screen time for being opinionated and entitled. Her outfit was neither elegant or modern. It should have been in the bottom. She has talent but not nearly as much as she thinks she does. And I'm not interested in her opinions.

Liked Jamal's look despite the unflattering "poof" in the front and I'm glad that he got the win. Don't think that Sonia deserved to be eliminated. Yes, it was nothing "special" but it looked stunning on her model. 

7 hours ago, leocadia said:

After an awesome start, this season is starting to feel a lot like the travesty that was PR All Stars.  If the judges (and/or producers?) have decided they like someone, it doesn't matter what they send down the runway.  

Agree. This has become "The Hester Show." Regardless of what she designs (good or bad), she ends up with lots of screen time. Over the last few episodes, they seem to focusing on flamboyant or outspoken designers rather than splitting screen time equitably.

Frankly, no one should have been eliminated. Hester's look was ridiculous and an obvious ploy for attention. Tell her that she was lucky to have immunity or otherwise she would been gone...and do not send anyone else home.

• Love 18
7 hours ago, leocadia said:

It didn't help that the first few times she said it, I heard "feces" instead of pasties.  "I've been trying to find a way to make feces elegant for a while".  Let's just say I would't have put it past her....

I totally heard that too, and at one point I swear she was working with some brown satin fabric.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Hester's runway look with the sunglasses, was such a departure from her typical, whimsical looks. It was completely attention seeking, once again, right down to her "fuck you, I don't care what you think attitude" that went along with it. The scowl on her face and the glasses. It was all too much. She changes personalities as quickly as she changes clothing, apparently. 

Whoever said she had to have brought trunks and trunks of clothing was right on. She must have been planning on the whole pastie thing from the get-go so she packed this get up to match her garment. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I was praying for that.  Or for the judges to decide that because her outfit was so CLEARLY the worst, they weren't going to send anybody home.

That was what I was hoping for too - IMO, the judges should have said - "because Hester has immunity, and her dress is the worst, NO ONE goes home."   

Maybe they should eliminate immunity.  I know in some cases, it pushes the winner to go outside of his/her comfort zone, and the results can be great - but it also tempts designers to skate through the next challenge.  

I did like that Christian told the eliminated designer how many of the stars he designs for would be happy to wear her dress.

(I didn't like the black and white stripe Grecian gown - I thought it awful, yet she ended up in the top, so as usual, I am forced to question my "taste level"😊)

• Love 9

Karlie: This week's challenge is to make something elegant.
Hester: I'm going to make an evening gown with pasties.

Garo can come off as a little "been there, done that" too cool for school guy, but I liked that he had such a positive attitude about getting Kate as a model and that he later said he didn't understand why Tessa was complaining so much about having one of the curvy models. He was so matter of fact when he described how to make garments for curvy models/clients: "Just build it for her body."

And although I was giving Hester some serious side eye for her elegant pasties idea, she was very practical about Tessa's concerns too: "There's nothing wrong with putting a curvy lady in something oversized as long as it emphasizes the right parts of her."

Hahaha, I loved when Christian noticed Tessa just standing there listening to his critique with Hester and asked her if she had work to do and to stop being nosy.

I'm glad that Jamall listened to Christian and abandoned his muslin pattern to just drape on the form and see what happened. It really seemed to be a much needed breakthrough moment for him. It was nice to hear Hester be so supportive of him too. Sometimes it's easy to forget that he's only 23 and fresh out of school. I think fashion school is important to learn good sewing and design techniques, but it's also important to be able to let go and experiment.

On a shallow note, I was shocked by how different Hester looked without her glasses and hat and with her hair down.

I didn't like Bishme's blue floral top (although I did like the draping across the back), but the skirt he made looked great on his model's ass.

I was hoping that Garo would create something amazing and super flattering for Kate just to spite Tessa and every other designer who bitched about having her as a model. The dress was nothing earthshatteringly innovative but he was not lying when he said that that's the best she's looked all season. I didn't like the exposed corset in the back though. I understood what he was going for when he described it to another designer but it ended up looking like he didn't have time to sew the fabric together to cover the lacing.

I liked the bright rose color of Venny's dress but that was about it. The design was so plain and boring. When he said he was going to make the straps long, I thought he meant dramatically long so the would flutter behind her has she walked. Instead they were only a few inches long so it looked like he'd forgotten to cut the extra fabric off.

Lela's dress was sculptural and the white lines made it look very sleek. The organza at the top gave it a contrasting softness that I liked.

Sonia's dress was classically lovely and I'm glad that she ended up not having time to finish the kimono because it looked good without it.

Renee's was a bit too plain for me. From a distance, it was just a head to toe black look with a wide scarf thrown on top.

Hester's look - I just don't know what to say. I'm not a prude or anything but gluing pasties to your model for an elegant challenge? I actually liked the design of the front of the skirt (but not the fabric choice) but the top looked so cheap. That was partly due to the fabric and partly due to the fact that her model was wearing pasties on top of sheer fabric. And once again, this is something that can only be worn by someone with a flat chest. What would she have done if she'd been called last and had one of the models who actually has breasts?

Tessa's black outfit was so basic and boring. The jacket on top was shapeless and boring.

Sebastian's orchid dress was pretty. I liked that he used different shades of light pink so it wasn't totally monotone and the petal accents on the shoulders were a nice nod to the orchids without being too literal.

Jamall's dress was good but not great. If the waistline had been lowered a few inches, it would have been more flattering on his model. I didn't understand the pouch of fabric between the chest and the waist. Is that so she can have somewhere to put her drink while she's eating hors d'oeuvres?

I do not understand how Tessa was safe instead of in the bottom. Since the judges were so emphatic that Sonia was in the bottom for being boring, then Tessa and Renee should have been in the bottom too. At least of those three designs, Sonia's actually fulfilled the assignment of being elegant. I'm glad that Christian told Sonia that he dresses lots of young actresses and many of them would love to wear a dress like that.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Yes, but the K girls would have eliminated the pasties if they were wearing that thing.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

It feels so ironic to me that Sonia went home on the "design something elegant" challenge. I went back to look at all her designs, and her stuff, with maybe one or two exceptions, has been some of the most elegant work of the whole competition so far. I honestly don't really know who I feel should have gone home, since Hester is the only one who created something reprehensible enough to deserve it and she had immunity. No, you did not make pasties elegant, Hester. You just wanted to be shocking and came off obnoxious. And you knew it was going to be awful too, because you only decided to take this "risk" when you had immunity, so I know you didn't have faith in any sort of vision. 

I feel like the editing of the two in the bottom who didn't have immunity made it clear that the narrative wants us to accept that they made two fundamental mistakes over the course of their work that is the reason they were in the bottom. Sonia should have realized the abandoned kimono was the most important, necessary element of her design and never abandoned it. Her dress was beautiful, and I don't think I agree with her going home over it, but she basically sent a standard beautiful gown down the runway, and it didn't really have anything to do with her inspiration or design story. I've seen that dress on red carpets my whole life. Basically, there was nothing creative there, that was all the kimono she didn't finish because she spent all her time perfecting the dress. 

Bishme should have chosen the other print. He had too many things going on, true, but I really hated that print for the blouse. I hated it when he chose it in Mood. It feels so dated to me. I wish I could have seen if I liked that blouse more in the black stripe fabric, which Cristian clearly preferred. I know the judges were more fixated on the skirt, but tbh I couldn't really tell much about it because I was so hung up on the ugly print. I do love how self-aware he is though. He knew it was a bottom look as he finished it and that he screwed up by throwing in too many elements. So many designers have had no idea they've done anything wrong, but I think this is the second time Bishme has been able to look at his design and known exactly what was wrong with it. Feels refreshing in a way, lol. 

I think Sebastian should have traded places with Lela in the top. I also think he should have been in the top during the video game challenge (traded places with Hester, as a matter of fact). I don't know why they're deemphasizing how much better he is. His designs aren't getting the attention and commentary they deserve. 

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

My favorite outfits were safe. I would have put Sebastian's orchid dress and Garo's silver dress in the top. I think Garo did a great job of creating a beautifully flattering dress for his model.

It's a shame that Hester had immunity. I'd have been happy to see her go.

Exactly same.  I would have loved to have had the camera and judges spend way more time on Sebastian and Garo's designs.  It was too bad that they were whisked off the runway so fast so that we had to spend time with the mediocre ones.  I fastforwarded through the whole judges "touching the clothes up close" thing.

I have to admit Karlie looked so beautiful today.  I was never a big Heidi fan so whatever.

This is the first time I really paid attention to Christian and it was fantastic.  He basically created Jamal's dress.  He certainly inspired it.  Jamal should have given him credit vocally.  Maybe he did but it was edited out.  Jamal was so high on that success buttttttttt...... Christian yanked it out of him.  Really cool to see.

Tessa's personality leaves a lot to be desired and I was LIVING over Christian saying "Mind your business."  Oh my god.  He is perfect.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 20
10 hours ago, rlc said:

That was complete and total bs. If you’re questioning a designer’s taste level every single week, why keep them over someone with an impeccable garment that didn’t wow you? Oh wait- they never keep older women around on these shows.

This was Sonia's second time in the bottom as opposed to Bishme's first, plus he also had a win and she hadn't. Track record helped him out,

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I didn’t think Tessa should have been punished for making the comment about the curvy models either. If the other designers who were nodding their heads to Brandon’s statement liked the curvy models so much why didn’t they choose them? They didn’t. I wonder if Brandon uses curvy models in his runway shows? 

I wish Hester had not had immunity. That pasty dress was fugly. Poor Sonja, she gets sent home for having a boring dress. I agree with the poster up thread that the judges usually weed out the older designers. Bishme’s was a mess, he should have been out. 

I loved Christian calling Tessa ‘nosey’. And she is. She’s always in everyone’s business. 

They were all thinking it.

I was positive Tessa was going to go. Nice misdirection, editing monkeys.

Hester would never have made that monstrosity if she didn't have immunity.

I knew Bishme was in trouble the minute I saw that unfortunate print. I was yelling "step away from that print, Bishme!" at my TV during the Mood sequence.

10 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I thought the judges would definitely point out that Sonja's dress was boring.  She also did the biggest "no-no" on PR - making excuses and talking about what wasn't presented on the runway.  However, even though Sonja's design may have been boring, in a good way, it was very well executed and simply elegant.  I thought that Tessa's was not elegant and boring in a not good way.  I would have put her in the bottom instead of Sonja.

Yes, that was a fail on Sonia's part. Never, ever ever talk about what you were going to do. Paste a smile on your face and brazen it out with what you have.

When Sonia was talking about here work and pictures of her gorgeous gowns were being shown I actually gasped in amazement. Her stuff is beautiful and I would wear the bejesus out it if I was a younger woman who went to Events. So elegant and eye catching, detailed and distinctive. She and Stanley should open a shop together. (Remember the fancy some of had when Stanley was on the last All Stars, that he should have an elegant atelier, furnished with well chosen antique furniture, and the ladies would be served tea in bone china cups, while Stanley showed them his elegant, luxe creations?) I can see Sonia's lovely gowns there, in Mr. Stanley's Fantasy Boutique.  

• Love 12

Christian: You've got a curvy girl, this is the first time with a curvy girl for you, right?

Tessa: Yeah. I'm trying to channel my mom, who always wears oversized coats, and always looks so elegant.

Tessa: DID YOU JUST CALL YOUR MOM OVERWEIGHT ON NATIONAL TV??? (Oops, I mean "curvy")

Gee thanks, kiddo.

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Yes, Hester sent a disaster down the runway, but she did it because she knew she couldn’t be eliminated.... It was an attention seeking ploy.

11 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I feel like everything that Hester designs and wears is an attention seeking ploy.

All of this did come from a woman who took time during the episode to define for us what "peacocking" is. Yup, only something done "by straight men to attract straight women." 

Garo's dress did flatter Kate, but I thought it was just as classic cliched and boring as Sonia's.

So the judges picked three top outfits, and then realized that, up close, two of them weren't great. Meanwhile, while I like Jamal and don't mind the redemption arc he's getting, the judges were really doing too much when it came to his outfit. I know I am coming from a very specific cultural framework, but Jamal's dress looked like a typical sarong that older Malay men in Southeast Asia would wear. Here, indeed, is a lesson in how to wrap one, for your edification:

sarongs.3.jpg.2306590dcf6945f02e9d28fe3712ef11.jpg

Twinsies!

Project-Runway-Season-17-Episode-7-Elegance-Is-New-Black-Bravo-TV-Reviews-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TOP-Jamall.thumb.jpg.6abf5071daf22f153a81ff2d98b9300a.jpg

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 10
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

I really wish Sonia would have used her unfinished half kimono thingie. Did they even show it in the workroom? I like her but, PR has a history of sending home under-designed vs. over-designed. Her dress was Zzzzzz....

Poor model Kate. She may never work again after this.

This is the first season, though, with these new judges. In the past, the judges and Tim typical feedback was that something should have been left out rather than sent out as poor quality. So, based on that, I thought Sonia made a smart call. Her dress wasn't superdynamic but it was very pretty -- definitely better than Tessa's. 

RE: Kate -- I paid a lot of attention this week to her, because I thought it was just sour grapes by the designer that they got stuck with a curvy model. But knowing that Garo's designs for women of different sizes and knew what had to be done to make her look good, I paid more attention. And yeah, she can't walk to save her life. BUT, I did notice that the flash sale picture he took -- she photographed beautifully. And that was just with camera phones -- imagine what she'd look like in full studio with professional photography equipment! 

I think she's a model that just needs to stick to print work and stay off the runway. 

• Love 22

Ugh, Garo, what a smug jerk.  Shoving a curvy girl into a corset (which she won't even be able to get into or out of herself!) is not "celebrating her shape."  It's reshaping it to your needs. 

• Love 8

Forgot to mention, but I wish any attention besides absolutely none was paid to Renee's look so I could actually take it in. It was very different from everyone else's take on the challenge, and I think Brandon didn't like it when he saw it on the runway, but besides the few seconds of the runway show, we didn't see it really at all. Was that deliberate? Do they just want to keep Renee and so did everything they could to divert attention away from this look that was maybe not so great and might have deserved some critique? I don't remember much of it, but I remember noticing it had a lot going on, which was discouraged for a take on "elegant".  Maybe it was amazing. I don't know, I didn't get to see it. 

Also, I feel like Garo and Tessa should have swapped models. I feel like Kate was washed out by Garo's silver dress and Asia(Is that her name?) would have rocked it, and Kate would have looked a lot better in Tessa's dark colors than Asia did. 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

Garo's dress did flatter Kate, but I thought it was just as classic cliched and boring as Sonia's.

I thought the same thing. Good dress to make her look nice but nothing original there.

I agreed with Sonia going home over Bishme. She'd been in the bottom before and she just seems like someone who does great clothes in her "real life" but is not able to really show all her skills in a speed sewing design contest. Her designs she does in real life look wonderful but she doesn't have the time to pull that off in the contest format.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Plums said:

Bishme should have chosen the other print. He had too many things going on, true, but I really hated that print for the blouse. I hated it when he chose it in Mood. It feels so dated to me.

ITA. His outfit looked to me like something that would have been worn in the 1970s. Those rather drab colors, and abstract "nothing" print. Blech. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Impromptu said:

Ugh, Garo, what a smug jerk.  Shoving a curvy girl into a corset (which she won't even be able to get into or out of herself!) is not "celebrating her shape."  It's reshaping it to your needs. 

Well, this is true.  But at least there is some support for their curves.  As a curvy girl myself, I cringe most of the time thinking what it would look like if I tried to wear some of these designs.

What happened to all the practice in the workroom Tessa had her model go through to slip her arms out of the sleeves and tie the jacket?  Instead she just took it off and showed how badly the shirt under it was constructed when one of the straps slipped off. 

• Love 13

Sebastian's look was elegant, beautifully executed and was original enough to stand out in this challenge - I think it should have at least been in the top 3.  Sonja's wasn't much, but it was far better than the irritating Suzie Creamcheese's "shocking" use of pasties (Gawd, what a buffoon Hester is) or Bishme's fugly mess or Tessa's dull-as-ditchwater layers of drab.  I liked Jamall's look a lot, and it was nice to see him finally figure out how to execute his vision so coherently.  

I'm afraid we may never get rid of "Look at me, PLEASE, look at me!" Hester, who AFAIC doesn't have an original idea in her head, but who seems convinced that she has re-invented the wheel every single week.   I thought Brandon Maxwell's disgusted initial reaction to Hester's mess was the most honest thing to come out of a judge's mouth all season. . . but of course, he dialed back his honesty in time for the judging.   Ugh. 

• Love 23
50 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

yeah those little drapey things on her upper arms? My prom dress had that silhouette. In 1979.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Sebastian was robbed.  That dress was elegant, beautiful, a complement to the bag, and creative.  I'd have swapped out either Venny or Lela and put Sebastian in the Top with him winning.  (Sorry, Jamall!  I loved your emergence from your cocoon this week, but... Sebastian's design was better.)  Venny's dress, I mean, I liked it, but if you wanna talk lack of creativity, Judges, that right there.  Who hasn't seen that dress before?

I was shocked Sebastian wasn't in the top. It was gorgeous. He definitely was robbed to me. I can see why Venny's dress was up there because her bottom was banging in that dress. Otherwise, I agree it was a very basic silhouette. I really like that model. I think she's fierce af and brings it to every runway show.  I was surprised she was chosen so far down the list. (Could be due to aforementioned bootie). 

I don't understand the pin the fabric to the skirt in random places that Jamall did this week and that Rakan did. The rocker guy with his son's name tattooed on his neck was fond of that too.... Jeffrey Seb something.

Hester's dress was very wild west brothel worker with those swooshes at the bottom. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, nb360 said:

So the winning look is available for sale, pictured with a thin model and a curvy girl, and I have to say, Jamal’s design does not look as nice on the curvy girl as the thinner one: https://shop.nineteenthamendment.com/pages/project-runway

Whereas, I think both Garo’s and Tessa’s look would work well on the thinner models.

Jamal's design doesn't look at all nice on the curvy girl and I actually quite liked the dress. This is why I think that mixing it up like this is a bad idea and they should have challenges with either/or and mix it up that way so everyone's on the same playing field. Like it or not, politically incorrect as it may be, it's a fact of life that the designers with the more typically sized models have an advantage over ones with the curvier girls, which is unfair in a "one day you're in/the next day you're out" kind of competition. And that is especially so if the designer hasn't any previous experience working with bigger girls; it adds another layer to an already heated competition.

That said, I agree that Tessa's attitude sucked and Garo was great. But why is his model even on this show because she cannot walk for shit. Shouldn't that at least be a prerequisite? It was nice of him to practice with her, but she still walks like a horse and needs to stick to print.

What on earth did Renee send down the runway? What about that said elegance? The judges were seriously looking out for her.

I also think that given Hester's stunt, she should have been the loser and since she had immunity, no one should have been eliminated.

I'm glad this show is back on Bravo and I love Christian, but I'm not so sure about these designers. Hope the skill level is higher next season.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, politichick said:

Jamal's design doesn't look at all nice on the curvy girl and I actually quite liked the dress.

Maybe they shouldn't have styled it with closed toe PUMPS and a waist length pearl necklace? Frump city.

OTOH, the thin version is shown on a model who's wearing (she's crouching so I can't really tell) booties and statement earrings, and looks much chicer, regardless of her size. JMO

I think the problem with the models would be solved by sticking to the button bag approach for assignments. It's not surprising that the designers want skinny shapes to work with, but it puts the lie to the body positivity meme PR keeps trying to sell. (Of course, then we'd probably see designers making faces when they get stuck with a plus size  girl).

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Maybe they shouldn't have styled it with closed toe PUMPS and a waist length pearl necklace? Frump city.

OTOH, the thin version is shown on a model who's wearing (she's crouching so I can't really tell) booties and statement earrings, and looks much chicer, regardless of her size. JMO

I think the problem with the models would be solved by sticking to the button bag approach for assignments. It's not surprising that the designers want skinny shapes to work with, but it puts the lie to the body positivity meme PR keeps trying to sell. (Of course, then we'd probably see designers making faces when they get stuck with a plus size  girl).

I didn't even notice the pearls or the pumps. The dress was just a no. I also didn't really look at the thinner model as I'd seen on the original.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, little black cloud said:

Nothing wrong with looking like a working girl, Hester, but why not choose to look like one who bathes instead?

I expected her to have a cigarette dangling from her lips and a bottle in a brown paper bag to take swigs from.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I did wonder once or twice if in the history of PR someone has been eliminated even though he/she had immunity.

No, I think the closest they've gotten is on a team challenge in season 6 where one member of the team won, and they eliminated the other team member.

I agree with everyone about the horror that was Hester's look.  And the judges must realize that if they send her to make a collection to show at Fashion Week (they are doing that, aren't they?) that Hester is going to repeat this.  So showing a look with "elegant" pasties at Fashion Week is going to be on the three of them.

For the record, I am fat, not curvy.  While I think fashion designers should make things that look good on me, I recognize that it is much easier for these folks to work with the same model over and over again, just because they know their measurements.   Tessa could have been more diplomatic about it.  Garo dissed his, but in a TH, not to everyone.  And he was right - she's been the kiss of death and she can't walk. 

• Love 8

I don't think I understand how the models are getting eliminated.  According to Wikipedia, in Episode 3 Nadine was out and Kate was her model. But Kate is still around and (again according to Wikipedia) Bishme's model Lauren was out in episode 3.  I can't imagine that any of the designers are picking Kate voluntarily. 

• Love 3

This one was a meh for me on the actual designs. IMHO Sebastian got robbed, and so did Tessa, because her mother of the bride outfit should have put her in the bottom with Hester, and they should have only had a bottom 2 this week, because they were both that bad. The judges should have taken one look at Hester's dress, and declared that from now on, PR is never giving out immunity again. Hopefully someone made Hester glue pasties to herself, and then take them off, because her model deserves hazard pay.

Speaking of models, how do they decide which ones go home? For all their talk of embracing "curvy" girls, they sure aren't many "curvy" models left. And why is Garo's model still there? Every time she walks, I make "galumph" sounds when her feet hit the ground. OTOH, Mimi is the MVP of the season for me. I feel like whoever has her has the advantage, not because of her size, but because she SELLS whatever it is she is wearing. 

• Love 9

I thought Hester's dress would've been better without the pasties - just send the sheer top down the runway.

I was so worried they were about to tell Jamal they hated his outfit, I was holding my breath. It was nice to see him get out of the rut he was in.

ETA: Just went to look at the pop up sale images and WTF is the model on the right in the last photo doing posing like that?! In general the photography is ass on that page. None of the clothes look good, all of the models look demented.

Edited by threebluestars
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, Gloriosa said:

Just what kind of shit zippers are they selling at Mood?

THANK YOU!  I couldn't believe that Vinny might have been sent home because of poor quality control at Mood.  I thought it was pure class of him NOT to give that as an excuse.

• Love 1