Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E07: Elegance Is the New Black

• Start Topic

The designers are surprised with an invitation to a Brandon Maxwell photo shoot featuring Karlie Kloss; the final 10 designers will have to impress Maxwell with their take on elegance; then they are faced with a flash sale challenge.

Original air date: 4/25/19

Hester, who is immune this week, is planning on making a sheer top that will include pasties, said,  "I've been obsessed with making pasties elegant."

Christian is rather dubious.

And in the irony department, there is going to be a photo shoot of the models for a flash sale.

Edit:  I will not mention what happens during the dressing for the runway, but oh dear.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

I’m so glad Brandon Maxwell called all of them (esp Tessa) on the “curvy” model issue.  What a shock, all the thin models went first.  I WAS surprised that Mimi wasn’t the first model picked since they all seem to love her. 

It reminded me of every middle school team selection I've ever witnessed.  As you said, not surprising, though.  Most designers create for smaller-than-average-sized models. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Yes, Hester sent a disaster down the runway, but she did it because she knew she couldn’t be eliminated. It was done knowing it was going to be in the bottom and talked about. It was an attention seeking ploy.

Yes, and her body language during the critiquing and the elimination part screamed it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

When the judges are critiquing the garments up close, with just the models present, can the designers hear these critiques?  

It's unclear to me, based on the editing.

I wondered the same earlier in the season.  I think no - it looks like the designers are all just eating and drinking by then.

10 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

My favorite outfits were safe. I would have put Sebastian's orchid dress and Garo's silver dress in the top. I think Garo did a great job of creating a beautifully flattering dress for his model.

It's a shame that Hester had immunity. I'd have been happy to see her go.

I agree, but unfortunately, Garo's model (Kate-?) is just not a good runway model.  She has a horrible walk, and an unpleasant look on her face.  I know models are not supposed to express emotion when walking, but she doesn't have a blank look on her face - just an unhappy one.

Sebastian's dress was stunning and very elegant, in my opinion, but I did really like the top looks tonight, so it was a tough call.

• Love 20
9 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

"I know you can't say this on tv" but fuck Hester! With her because I have immunity, I'm gonna make something random that had nothing to do with the challenge. And I can because the judges are stuck on my dick. Lol 

And they just laugh about it because she has immunity. It's BS. And of course Sonia is gone. Like I said before, older women are usually eliminated somewhere in the beginning.  Grrr

I have no idea what the hell they all seem to like about Hester!  From last week, Nina saying how much she enjoys Hester's "kitschy-ness", when she has lambasted designers from previous seasons for being too kitschy to this week, not giving her a talking-to for abusing her immunity.  I remember past seasons where a designer had immunity and sent something really horrible (but not as horrible as that lime green travesty) down the runway and the judges really gave them a stern warning about immunity abuse.

And, for her own sake, it was lucky that Hester had immunity, because I don't think an "elegance" challenge would be her strong point.

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

Hallelujah! Christian Siriano finally told Jamal to stop fussing with the muslin already & work with the fabric & look what happened: He won. That's good mentoring right there! Interesting that Jamal said he changed his whole process & still created something that was very "him." Interesting that the muslin didn't look like the finished dress. I think Jamal has been using muslin to procrastinate; not to actually develop or refine his designs. He needed a push to get out of a rut that wasn't working for him.

I really wish Sonia would have used her unfinished half kimono thingie. Did they even show it in the workroom? I like her but, PR has a history of sending home under-designed vs. over-designed. Her dress was Zzzzzz....

Poor model Kate. She may never work again after this.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 21
9 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I did wonder once or twice if in the history of PR someone has been eliminated even though he/she had immunity.

I was praying for that.  Or for the judges to decide that because her outfit was so CLEARLY the worst, they weren't going to send anybody home.

• Love 9

When they are judging, I don't care what the models feel like because they aren't the customer, they're models. They're supposed to sell the look no matter what. 

I would have put Have Sebastian in the top over Lela. I didn't understand Renee's look. Tessa's look wasn't refined enough, it felt like loungewear. Hester wouldn't have sent down the same look without the immunity. She was just showing how "edgy" she is. I was hoping for a fresh, modern Grace Kelly kind of look from one of them.

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

I seem to remember a season where someone’s immunity was revoked. I was hoping that would happen to Hester. They should have at least questioned her taste level since that’s a phrase Nina likes to throw around. In what alternate universe are pasties ever elegant? The model looked like the Little Mermaid goes to the stripper prom. After watching this past season of All Stars, I’m very worried they are telegraphing a win for Hester this season. I hope I’m wrong. The judges seem to think she can do no wrong even when she tries. 

So glad Bishme was not eliminated. He took a risk and it didn’t work, but at least he tried to push himself. Any other week his dress would be middle of the pack. 

I felt bad for Sonia. The bottom two really should have been Tessa and Hester. 

They didn't even mention that the model didn't feel comfortable.  That's usually a big no-no for them.  Hester is getting away with MURDER.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 24
1 hour ago, Jordan Baker said:

My favorite outfits were safe. I would have put Sebastian's orchid dress and Garo's silver dress in the top. I think Garo did a great job of creating a beautifully flattering dress for his model.

I also loved these two outfits. They were in the top for me... but I’m glad Jamal got the win!

How funny was it when Christian asked Miss Nosy why she was listening in on Hester’s consult?

Edited by nb360
  • LOL 5
  • Love 16

Hester seems to look older every week. This week in her “new” look she looked hunched over like she had a dowagers hump.  Renee has as many changes of headwear as Hester has glasses. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I got a flash of The Mean Girl when Tessa said - snarkily behind Garo at the sewing stations -  “I just love a flash challenge.”

Translation: Which one of us with a curvy girl will win?

• Love 8

I knew the pasties and sheer top were for attention (Hester), but I really hated the awful "pick-ups" on the bottom of the skirt.  ( I think that's what they are called -- the swoop-y things that "pick up" the hem, like something on a Disney princess dress.). Dislike.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

When the judges are critiquing the garments up close, with just the models present, can the designers hear these critiques?  

It's unclear to me, based on the editing.

I seem to remember from the first episode, that the safe designers were surprised to find out that they could watch the general critiques, and then the tv was shut off, so that they couldn’t see/hear the close up critiques. 

As for giving up immunity, I remember an episode of Top Chef where the chef with immunity was asked/encouraged by the judges to give up his immunity (Nicholas Elmi from Season 11). He did not.

Edited by hula-la
Elmi. Elmo is the Sesame Street character.
  • Love 2

I'm just glad that the judges didn't fall all over that pasties mess with praise.... It was hideous but I was afraid they were going to love it. I hope we are all wrong and Tessa isn't getting a free pass because she's quirky. 

I liked the winning design accept for the pouch at the front, it just seemed odd how it stuck out. I didn't think Bishme's was that bad, though it was hard to see the details on the skirt that got to be too much. 

I don't really know what the answer is to having different sized models aside from I do think it shouldn't even be an issue... like let the designers think it in their heads if they must but keep it to yourself and do your job. They should be able to design for all sizes and it shouldn't be some handicap to have a "curvy" model. Even complaining in the talking heads is one thing, but to do it in front of the judges and everyone... lame. 

I do remember Christian having issues back when he was a tiny PR baby in having a larger model who also had strong opinions on what she wanted her dress to be like, so I am glad to see that now he has grown from there and embraces dressing women of all sizes. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, roctavia said:

I'm just glad that the judges didn't fall all over that pasties mess with praise.... It was hideous but I was afraid they were going to love it. I hope we are all wrong and Tessa isn't getting a free pass because she's quirky. 

I liked the winning design accept for the pouch at the front, it just seemed odd how it stuck out. I didn't think Bishme's was that bad, though it was hard to see the details on the skirt that got to be too much. 

I don't really know what the answer is to having different sized models aside from I do think it shouldn't even be an issue... like let the designers think it in their heads if they must but keep it to yourself and do your job. They should be able to design for all sizes and it shouldn't be some handicap to have a "curvy" model. Even complaining in the talking heads is one thing, but to do it in front of the judges and everyone... lame. 

I do remember Christian having issues back when he was a tiny PR baby in having a larger model who also had strong opinions on what she wanted her dress to be like, so I am glad to see that now he has grown from there and embraces dressing women of all sizes. 

I remember that well, as it was the prom dress challenge, and the "models" were girls from a high school near me.  Christian's model was extremely demanding, and he did what she asked for/wanted, even though he knew it wouldn't work.  She complained during the judging, and he did go back at her.  That dress almost sent him home.  I think that challenge was a learning experience for young Christian - in two different ways - one, in learning how to be diplomatic and deal with clients, and two, how to keep true to yourself while still pleasing your client.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, nb360 said:

Is it just me, or did Karlie’s outfit during the runway show look like Jamal’s “waitress tuxedo” outfit from last week ?

I had the same thought, and also thought she was making a veiled statement since one of the questions last week about his outfit was whether a bra had been available.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I did wonder once or twice if in the history of PR someone has been eliminated even though he/she had immunity.

No. There were those who were called "lucky," though. 

I liked the hot pink look the most. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

No. There were those who were called "lucky," though. 

I liked the hot pink look the most. 

I did a quick look over ye olde internet earlier and from what I gather this may have only been the 3rd time in PR history an immune designer wound up in the bottom 3 and therefore got critiqued, vs. the usual, "Tut, tut, you're lucky to be safe."

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4