Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Happy Place

• Start Topic

When an NYPD officer is hit by a car in the line of duty, the hospital is turned upside down to save her; Kapoor and Iggy work with a patient struggling with a previous surgery.

Has Max's wife and unborn child gone to their happy place? It's been several episodes without even a mention of them.

Also, can someone please explain to me why New Amsterdam couldn't accept the voucher from the VA without causing an implosion of the National Health Care System? I'm a lawyer but the explanation went right over my head.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Also, can someone please explain to me why New Amsterdam couldn't accept the voucher from the VA without causing an implosion of the National Health Care System? I'm a lawyer but the explanation went right over my head.

I'm not a lawyer and it went over my head also. It was something about 25% of the cost not being covered, privatization, and a dangerous precedent for the "rest of the country." If someone understands this gobbledygook, please explain.

The guy is a vet, with a service-related condition, he deserves treatment no matter the cost.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 6

There is a HUGE VA hospital in Brooklyn that does indeed have oncology and urology services.

I have to admit, the story with the two wives got to me.  I'm not fully deaf, but I have significant hearing loss, although my problem is due to anatomy, not the actual nerve.  And I function okay with my hearing aids.  I've considered a cochlear implant from time to time, but it would destroy my residual hearing, and like the deaf wife, I don't really want it to change the way I interact with the world.

Iggy, it's okay to counter-transfer, we all do it.  But perhaps don't seek it out like that?

Honestly, Bloom can stay gone.  She's off in the same happy place with Max's wife, and it doesn't matter.  Candelario is a much better.

• Love 7

You'd think cops of all people would know there are a number of possible causes other than being drunk that someone's car might swerve. Maybe wait until you actually find out for sure before you start rioting at the hospital?

• Love 9

As far as I could tell about the VA payment, the VA expects the veteran to pick up the 25% through his own insurance or out of pocket, and the hospital finance officer was worried that, if the public hospital picked up the 25% of the surgery bill, it would set a precedent that the VA would follow with future veterans' treatment, and start dumping all the cost on the particular hospital.  That would be the privatization that she mentioned.  What she wanted to do was to force the VA to pay 100% of the claim.  That's my story, but I'm not stickin' to it.

I'm glad Max is, for the moment, accepting his condition and realizing that he really has to fight it.  This 'if I ignore the cancer, it will go away' was really getting old.

I am confused about the surgery on the female officer.  The nurse said "There's no more blood to pump."  You mean 5 liters of blood drained out in around a minute? I've always understood that they would hang blood or plasma for that very reason, to keep the system full.  I could understand if some neurological or cardiac condition suddenly caused the muscle contractions to stop, but loss of blood?

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I am confused about the surgery on the female officer.  The nurse said "There's no more blood to pump."  You mean 5 liters of blood drained out in around a minute? I've always understood that they would hang blood or plasma for that very reason, to keep the system full.  I could understand if some neurological or cardiac condition suddenly caused the muscle contractions to stop, but loss of blood?

I didn't understand that either, but it's obvious these medical shows really attempt creative ways for patients to die, even if some of them are totally beyond belief. The person that has a cancer-ridden death wish (Max) will likely be the one to beat the odds and live forever. I can't wait to see how they spin that one.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Has Max's wife and unborn child gone to their happy place? It's been several episodes without even a mention of them.

They were claiming that if they took the voucher and covered the remaining 25%, they would have to do that for everyone.... which they wouldn't - they could make it a one time exception due to arcane legal reason #582

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I did find it really weird he was undergoing a surgical procedure related to the cancer with no appearance by, discussion with or mention of his wife. 

• Love 2

I thought the type of feeding tube Max got was only for cases where it is going to be permanent, as in expecting he will get treatment to extend his life, but not survive the cancer, ultimately. Medical professionals/people with personal experience here: is my assumption correct?

To me the story - cop gets -accidentally - injured by black man - sounded like yet another TV attempt to make cops Oh So Good. The diverse, compassionate, understanding group of cops waiting in the hospital, then coming together to make sure the black man gets the care he needs, as if in real life the man, not really responsible for his stroke, wouldn't be cuffed to his hospital bed. Yeah, right. 

I think they are expanding Iggy's responsibilities way too far. Would he still be part of Jemma's life? Is there a comparable position in real hospitals, someone who specializes in listening to foster kids? I really don't get why he meddles in so many cases without a clear consent from patients, or just to try to solve a problem and be the hero, defender of the marginalized. I like the character, am annoyed by him being all over the place.

• Love 2

Last week, the hospital administration was happy to get five cents on the dollar for unpaid bills. This week, seventy five cents on the dollar wasn’t good enough. Inflation must be worse than I thought. And that little bucket of singles isn’t going to go far to pay that poor guy’s medical bills.

I still don’t get how the injured cop died on the table. Where was all of the blood?  If her heart essentially fell apart, wouldn’t she have died earlier?  I hope they don’t try to pin the blame on Rev. Al Green. 

Please show!  No more Iggy and The Girl.  Dead horses need not be beaten.

i agree that Bloom can stay in rehab forever.  The new ER doctor is a much more interesting, and significantly less whiny, character.

• Love 5

I think this show just wants to be a "feel good' medical drama (the emphasis being on the 'DRAMA' and the medical part being in metaphorical 5 pt. font) and have basically given up on making sense.  I mean last week's baby plot made no sense.  And now this not being able to treat a veteran makes my head hurt.. 

Sure, the pretty lady used words, words, policy sounding words, but they just went around me.  LOL.

Also, how many cops were in that waiting room?  Did they have no work to do?  I mean, I get showing solidarity or your felled co-worker but it looked like there were 40 cops up in there.  And they were hella disrespectful & disruptive to the function of the hospital.  And her partner was just a seething mess.  Dude, dial it down. 

On 4/24/2019 at 9:07 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

This made me laugh.  Cuz yeah.  I wonder if the show is regretting giving Max a wife and unborn kid?  After doing the most to insert her into the show (I am thinking especially of the gala episode and the flashback episode) I and wondering if some focus group somewhere just doesn't like her because she has been curiously MIA.  And Max has essentially ghosted her.  Personally I didn't like the actress but I do think it is odd that after Max essentially collapsing almost lifeless in her arms where she had to do a tracheotomy on him that she is all but invisible during his treatment.

And yeah, I don't miss Bloom at  all.  I like Candelaro can we keep her?

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I thought the type of feeding tube Max got was only for cases where it is going to be permanent, as in expecting he will get treatment to extend his life, but not survive the cancer, ultimately. Medical professionals/people with personal experience here: is my assumption correct?

To me the story - cop gets -accidentally - injured by black man - sounded like yet another TV attempt to make cops Oh So Good. The diverse, compassionate, understanding group of cops waiting in the hospital, then coming together to make sure the black man gets the care he needs, as if in real life the man, not really responsible for his stroke, wouldn't be cuffed to his hospital bed. Yeah, right. 

I think they are expanding Iggy's responsibilities way too far. Would he still be part of Jemma's life? Is there a comparable position in real hospitals, someone who specializes in listening to foster kids? I really don't get why he meddles in so many cases without a clear consent from patients, or just to try to solve a problem and be the hero, defender of the marginalized. I like the character, am annoyed by him being all over the place.

A feeding tube can be placed temporarily for anyone who might be having trouble eating the usual way, it wouldn't have to be permanent.  In general (and this is very general, exceptions abound), someone who needs fed through a tube for more than 2 weeks would benefit from having a G-tube or J-tube placed.  For someone with Max' cancer, where it is virtually inevitable that he won't be able to eat for months, it would've been placed right before he started the radiation, just as the Portacath for chemo would've been placed in his chest before his first treatment rather than using an IV.  Once Max has finished treatment and is able to eat enough to keep going on his own, which might be many months after finishing radiation, the feeding tube can be removed very simply, just pulled out in the doctor's office, a band-aid placed over the incision and it will heal up just fine on its own.  Really simple.

As far as the medicine on this show, it has virtually no basis in reality.  The writers take a basic idea or something they heard someplace about some sort of new medical thingie and just make up a story about it.  About 75% of the medicine on this show is beyond discussing because it is fantasy.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, alexvillage said:

No, feeding tubes are used for cancer in a variety of situations. It's being used for Max due to the radiation burning his throat - since if he keeps losing weight, he risks just shedding pounds way too rapidly. He'll probably be on the tube temporarily, and slowly reintroduce foods via the mouth.

Near the start of my treatment, I dropped 9 pounds - started at 111 lbs, dropped to 102 lbs. They gave me a prescription appetite inducer that I agreed to use if I got down to 100 lbs - luckily, never dropped down to there.

18 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Last week, the hospital administration was happy to get five cents on the dollar for unpaid bills. This week, seventy five cents on the dollar wasn’t good enough. Inflation must be worse than I thought. And that little bucket of singles isn’t going to go far to pay that poor guy’s medical bills.

I still don’t get how the injured cop died on the table. Where was all of the blood?  If her heart essentially fell apart, wouldn’t she have died earlier?  I hope they don’t try to pin the blame on Rev. Al Green. 

Please show!  No more Iggy and The Girl.  Dead horses need not be beaten.

i agree that Bloom can stay in rehab forever.  The new ER doctor is a much more interesting, and significantly less whiny, character.

Well for some reason the cop wasn't getting mass transfusion protocol.

19 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I imagine with Iggy, he was conducting some kind of home visit to Emma (Gemma? What is her name?) - since I believe there was also a social worker accompanying him. I think he just went along to see her - since we have seen Iggy see some people outpatient, maybe it is part of New Amsterdam's support system that Iggy goes out at certain intervals of community reintegration for certain kids to check on how they are doing / help their parents/guardians out.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

What is Kapoor’s speciality? I thought it was neurosurgery, but his cases are so varied I’m not sure.

Yeah, I was like “WTF happened with the cop dying on the table” too. 🤔

I believe he is neurology/neurosurgeon.

5 hours ago, IrishPirate said:

Isn't Bloom missing because the actress was expecting a baby during filming?

I'm bingeing the whole season, but think I've reached a point that I'll just watch the final and let it go.

Yes, she is currently on maternity leave.  I presume the plan is to have her character return from rehab next season.  As so many others have noted, if she never returned, I don't think most viewers would miss her.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:07 PM, doodlebug said:

Yes, she is currently on maternity leave.  I presume the plan is to have her character return from rehab next season.  As so many others have noted, if she never returned, I don't think most viewers would miss her.

I wouldn’t miss her one bit.

• Love 1