Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E02: Knock the Newbie Out of Us

• Start Topic

On 4/24/2019 at 10:01 PM, hendersonrocks said:

Thank you, Gods of the Amazing Race, for removing Rupert from my life once again. Now do Rachel and her sister next. 

Not over the Horrible Corrine with Eliza. I want them out next. I like Rachel and Elissa 

• Love 1

Well, there are some benefits to arriving earlier to the same flight as everyone else--get better seats, be able to relax and possibly sleep in the waiting area, maybe have time to eat a snack if you want to spare the money, now that you know the destination browse in the airport stores for maps/guidebooks/etc. (even if you aren't going to buy them), etc.  Not as good as getting ahead, but still benefits.

I don't take the Afghanimals' "snaky snakes" comments that seriously.  I think they're being silly.  So it's not as disturbing as if they really were spitting venom.  I felt Rachel and Elissa were far more judgmental assuming that when Becca and Floyd ran off because they saw the ticket agent while R & E were on-the-fly interviewing that B & F were truly ditching them.  I mean, they saw where they went, and got there right after.  And yet apparently B & F were awful for doing that.  

I don't adore Rupert but I don't mind him as much as many, but he was not long for this race, so it was fine for him to go.

• Love 5

Honestly, I'm surprised that big lug Rupert isn't still at the alphabet task as I type this...I thought he would be so abysmal at it that he'd never get it.

It looked like one person was allowed to "coach" while the other person recited the alphabet. That's what Corinne and Eliza did. So I think Laura was the one who really finished the alphabet challenge. I agree if Rupert had to do it alone he's still be there to this day.

I'm not a big fan of the Afghanimals, but they are entertaining and fun to watch and it is a plus that they don't like Corinne and Eliza.

But they don't really like anybody, to be fair. I don't mind a team of aggressive, proactive racers who look out for Number 1 and have no qualms about misdirecting other teams. Clearly the show loves it too. But if somebody screws them over they get really hypocritical about it. It's hilarious when they do it but if someone does it to them it's unfair. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 3:10 PM, Jobiska said:

I don't take the Afghanimals' "snaky snakes" comments that seriously.  I think they're being silly.  So it's not as disturbing as if they really were spitting venom.  I felt Rachel and Elissa were far more judgmental assuming that when Becca and Floyd ran off because they saw the ticket agent while R & E were on-the-fly interviewing that B & F were truly ditching them.  I mean, they saw where they went, and got there right after.  And yet apparently B & F were awful for doing that.

I agree that the Afghanimals are just having some wild and woolly fun and doing these crazy things/comments with tongue in cheek and having a blast.  It is great to see a team both full into the racing and embracing the fun of it at the same time.

And Team Fun didn't mess with whatever team got upset with them.  They just seem to scout in different locations and when they found the ticket place they were probably going to get theirs and then go tell Team Unfun where to go for them.

Edited by green
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, jay741982 said:

Not over the Horrible Corrine with Eliza. I want them out next. I like Rachel and Elissa 

I'd be happy if both teams would get eliminated. But I'd only say Rachel and Elissa first because at least Corrine and Eliza are more entertaining. 

21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It looked like one person was allowed to "coach" while the other person recited the alphabet. That's what Corinne and Eliza did. So I think Laura was the one who really finished the alphabet challenge. I agree if Rupert had to do it alone he's still be there to this day.

But they don't really like anybody, to be fair. I don't mind a team of aggressive, proactive racers who look out for Number 1 and have no qualms about misdirecting other teams. Clearly the show loves it too. But if somebody screws them over they get really hypocritical about it. It's hilarious when they do it but if someone does it to them it's unfair. 

I do agree they should not get upset at others for doing the same thing the Afganimals did to them. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, eliot90000 said:

I’ve never been more happy never to have seen Big Brother if she’s an example of a “superstar” on that show. I’ll take Tyler’s mugging all day, every day.

Janelle was a superstar mainly because of how impressive she was in the competitions, not because she was a camera mugger. And really, she's tame compared to the more recent generations, because starting in season 16 (Nicole's first season) was when the show started becoming heavily populated by those looking to become actual stars instead of Z-list reality show contestants.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:46 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

He makes me think of "Serenity now!" on Seinfeld.   I'm waiting for all the bottled up frustration to explode.  

Or  

• Love 1
On 4/28/2019 at 10:56 AM, Hera said:

Furthermore, when a team manages to get a 12 hour lead on everyone else, they've either won the race then and there because no one can ever catch up (if a team is good enough to get a 12 hour lead, chances are, they'll find a way to increase as the race progresses), or production has to introduce some way of slowing them down so that everyone else can catch up. Both options are unsatisfying in some way, so I can see why they make sure everyone is on the same flight or same two flights when they travel long distances. I still don't like it, but I get it.

Here I suggested that it can be made possible to claw back big leads by only eliminating a team if they check-in to a pit-stop later than (say) 12 hours after the race leader (and there are more than three teams left). Teams remaining at the start of the final leg would be equalized, but perhaps handicapped based on their finishing order (like how finals playoffs are done in sports).

• Love 3

@Bouquet, I like that idea, and there would probably be some scope to vary the amount of time that teams need to check in after the leader, depending on what's coming up in the next leg, so they could still have their current pattern of one team being eliminated in each episode with one or two non-elimination legs. It could also allow the occasional "shock" episode where multiple teams are eliminated.

• Love 2

I liked this second leg a lot more than the first.

First off, elephants! But honestly, the tasks were fairly decent. 

I enjoyed everyone's excitement over the monks and the elephants. I would be excited too.

The alphabet task seemed to be challenging, although I agree that it did seem like they passed too easily. I think that challenge would be difficult for me to complete on my own, so I am glad that they didn't need both people to complete it.

I can't say I'm disappointed by the elimination. Rupert/Laura weren't my favourites and they had to go. 

I want Corrine/Eliza or Rachel/Elissa to go next, though. Both female teams grate on my nerves big time.

My favourites are still Colin/Christie, Victor/Nicole, and Leo/Jamal. I still have a sour taste in my mouth about Becca after her stint on their previous season, but Floyd is pretty great still.  

• Love 2