Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

My must-haves for Thanksgiving are all the snacks we nosh on throughout the day while watching football; that's what I love about Thanksgiving.  The dinner is mostly just a typical meal that happens to have turkey as the main course (we're in a motorhome for Thanksgiving, and there are three of us, so we don't make a huge spread, and two of the dishes - cornbread dressing and pumpkin pie - I won't eat, so it's very much a regular-sized meal for me).

If there's a must-have for the dinner itself, it's wheat brown and serve rolls.  I have no idea why, as I am not much of a bread person (and the fact I don't eat the dressing doesn't mean oh, there must be an alternate starchy side dish as I frequently eat meals that are just side salad, main, and green vegetable side), but for some reason I like having those rolls at Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

My grandmother's stuffing.  Honestly I have never tasted stuffing so rich, flavorful and moist as hers.  She would buy a duck and render the fat and use that with a combo of butter to cook the onions and celery.

Sweet potato pie.  These were a treat when we were growing up.  My grandfather made the pies and nobody could make them like him.  We'd only ever get them Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter .  On Thanksgiving there would be like six of them lined up in the kitchen, with a fluffy, melt in your mouth filling and flaky crusts.

• Love 5

I always used to go for the stuffing, and my parents would be trying to keep me out of the kitchen and snacking on it before dinner.

Mashed potatoes and roast. Maybe scalloped, too. Give me all the potatoes. Creamed peas. I'm going to try to make Yorkshire pudding this year (mum always made it) - popovers, over here. Pumpkin pie. Spinach dip, with Italian bread. 

• Love 3

Just so I can put it in my turkey stew that I make later- turkey, gravy, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes. Oh and sausage stuffing

Depending where I'm eating my cousin's Mac and cheese,  my nephew's deviled eggs and cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole,  fried bread or Rast beef and noodles (uncle isn't a fan of poultry)

Edited by jennifer6973
Had to add an ingredient to my stew
  • Love 3

Pumpkin pie with Cool Whip.  (Sometimes it's more like I'm having a little pie with my Cool Whip instead of the other way around.)

My favorite thing used to be the caramel rolls with nuts that we'd make for breakfast on Thanksgiving, but Pillsbury discontinued years ago.  😡  I still get angry when the Doughboy's balloon pops up in the parade because of this.

• Love 7
On 11/22/2021 at 9:34 AM, JTMacc99 said:

What is your "must have" Thanksgiving food?  (Should you not celebrate Thanksgiving where you live, we'll take the answer for any traditional holiday meal.)

Gravy.  I make scads of it and use it to enrich, amongst other things - 

Turkey soup the day after, made from simmering the carcass and extras overnight, served over a good dollop of leftover mashed potatoes.

• Love 6

The turkey and stuffing sandwich on rye the day after. With mayo (Hellman's!) and a sprinkle of salt. Nothing better in this world. Also, no matter how full I am on turkey day, gotta stuff a slice of pumpkin pie in me before the night ends. 

Thanksgiving dinner is the meal I most look forward to all year. I love it all. 

• Love 6

Well, I probably won't get one this year, but the next day leftover turkey breast slices on sourdough with cream cheese and some cranberry sauce is the best part about Thanksgiving food in my opinion. (I'm not making a turkey this year as its just me and two cats so I'm doing a cornish game hen and maybe some salad.)

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm making my pumpkin pie with a cream cheese/cool whip layer, and I also love devilled eggs.

I know I'm going to burn in hell because the only good thing I have to remember my former mother-in-law by is her devilled eggs.

• Love 4
On 11/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, JTMacc99 said:

image.thumb.png.2cef111d99a6754afe1cf9bf404e8706.png

What is your "must have" Thanksgiving food?  (Should you not celebrate Thanksgiving where you live, we'll take the answer for any traditional holiday meal.)

Bonus points for including a picture!

As of this year: son-in-law's homemade whipped cream

image.png.e65726bfb75a45a39e2c8389c3dda774.png

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I considered it, but since I'm in Maine and it's cold out, I decided to have a nice steaming bowl of Lobster Spew.  🦞

Sounds better than the Faked Ziti I had for lunch. 

• LOL 6