Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, isalicat said:

I have so many shoes and sweaters that now for every one that comes in, one must leave :(

That's my rule with shoes, too; it's how I keep myself in check, because great shoes abound, but not only do I only have two feet, I spend 95% of my time barefoot (I work from home).  My shoe racks hold about 40 pairs, so that's my permanent limit.

Books popped up in a lot of answers, and I have a lot of those, too, but I didn't put them on my list because books are of practically infinite variety; I don't feel like getting another one is repetitive (especially since almost everything I read is non-fiction, so it's not like I'm reading the same basic mystery over and over or something).

But I have one body, and there are only so many styles and colors of shoes and pajamas in existence to put on that body, and I only like socializing with certain people, so would never use all my serving dishes at once (and, again, there are only so many options out there to begin with).  So those are the things I consider an impulse that must be checked in terms of my urge to accumulate whenever I think Cute!

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Leeds said:

If you're ever in Portland, Oregon, visit Saturday Market and you'll be in kitchen gadget earring heaven.

I just posted that part as a joke, but then I Googled, and kitchen-gadget earrings really are a thing! I'll try to get to Portland ASAP, but in the meantime there's Etsy, and Amazon, and . . .

• Love 1

I put books because although I have a Kindle and I buy a lot of my books on there, I still have the urge to buy physical copies without having any space to put them. I always will so that answer works for the question. I ❤️ my books.

• Love 7
On 10/15/2021 at 10:41 PM, jennifer6973 said:

Shopping Bags (the reusable ones, instead of plastic)

Oh my gosh, do you want some more?? I think mine are mating! I and just one person and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. Every place I go that has swag/goody bags = another bag!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Oh my gosh, do you want some more?? I think mine are mating! I and just one person and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. Every place I go that has swag/goody bags = another bag!

I don't need anymore.  When I moved to Ohio from Florida, I  packed about 8 sets of bags in a couple moving boxes. (A set for me is 3 cold bags and 15 tote bags).  I have since bought enough for another set.  

• Love 1

Oh man!  How could I forget kitchen gadgets and key chains?  I have a keychain from everywhere I've ever traveled to - started it in grade school (not that I was some child world traveler, but little family weekends, etc) because I could afford it and have kept it up all thru the years (and I'm now in my 40s). I have key chains from everywhere from Cedar Point to Mt Rushmore to NASA/Cape Canaverel to Paris to Peru. 

• Love 4

Sewing machines, fabric, thread, sewing notions, quilt patterns, cutting machines, paper, vinyl…  

At one point I had 30 pairs of various size / use scissors JUST in my sewing room and another dozen in my craft supplies.  That doesn’t include the normal scissors around the house which other people can use without fear of death.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, festivus said:

I put books because although I have a Kindle and I buy a lot of my books on there, I still have the urge to buy physical copies without having any space to put them. I always will so that answer works for the question. I ❤️ my books.

Don't feel bad.  There are some books I have the physical, ebook and audiobook versions of ...because I love books too.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

Don't feel bad.  There are some books I have the physical, ebook and audiobook versions of ...because I love books too.

I do the same thing for several series!  But I don’t count digital items and I don’t go too far overboard on print books.

• Love 1

I can't believe I forgot key chains and refrigerator magnets!  I have to have refrigerator magnets from my travels.  I can never ever get a stainless steel refrigerator because I have too many magnets.  I've even used online services to make magnets of some of my favorite photos.

• Love 3
On 10/16/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Earrings. And kitchen gadgets. And earrings made of kitchen gadgets, which should be a thing if they aren't already.

Now I need to get creative and make some earrings with kitchen gadgets, especially as I am unaware of how to actually use many of them in the kitchen.

• LOL 3
On 10/15/2021 at 3:33 PM, JTMacc99 said:

image.png.6f9e408a19ae364dde2e80ed5fb4f06f.png

Cameras.  I try to not even think about it anymore but the urge is there.  And all the film they take as all the cameras I use for my work are film.  35mm, 120, pinhole.  Even a few pinholes for large format.  Oh, large format.  Sheet holders.  Expensive film stored in the fridge so that they don't get affected by being left out in my hot apartment.

Did you know that Fuji Velvia 100 has been banned by the EPA for some miniscule amount of something and it can't even be developed anymore?  And that I found out that I have 20 rolls of it?

Also paper for printing photos in my fine art printer....lots of it...

It's not that I don't use these things but...

All I can manage to do is to occasionally give away some of these film cameras to a group in New Jersey who will pass them along to students.

I do have some art supplies as well because I am thinking of doing some still life over the winter but so far only a small amount...

• Love 6

What is the ONE movie or TV Show you absolutely won't watch due to its content

(Shows or Movies you won't watch because of the actors or director is a question for another day.)

image.thumb.png.313bfc0e4ea232c3d04434659f9578ac.png

For me, it's Monsters Inside Me

NO. I do not, ever, want to think about parasites eating me from the inside out.  ::shudder::

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

(Shows or Movies you won't watch because of the actors or director is a question for another day.)

image.thumb.png.313bfc0e4ea232c3d04434659f9578ac.png

For me, it's Monsters Inside Me

NO. I do not, ever, want to think about parasites eating me from the inside out.  ::shudder::

Good lord, I'm going to have nightmares just from the image above. 

I can't watch any kind of shows about surgery, especially plastic surgery. I love before and after pics, but I want nothing to do with what goes on in between.

• Love 2

So, so many. I'll try to stick to broadcast because adding things from streaming and cable would takes days. Let's start with the Bachelor and Bachelorette. Law & Order SVU and Criminal Minds. NCIS.

• Love 3

Quite a lot, actually - most of shows in a medical setting, because I am scared of every possible medical condition and if I hear about any symptoms, I begin to think I have them. I also won't watch anything about the military, because I have strong (negative) opinions about it. So I pick the combination of the two: M.A.S.H. Never saw a single episode, despite all the praise.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Anela said:

That movie called the human centipede. 

3 hours ago, festivus said:

The real Kardashians of New York that weigh 600 pounds and have 19 kids. I felt some brain cells dying just typing that. 

disgusted the fox and the hound GIF

I'll go along with these sorts of picks, too. 

I also would have a really tough time watching things where people go into graphic descriptions of some sort of injury to their body - broken bones and the like. I just start getting way too squeamish and then whatever part of the body they're talking about, I start feeling an ache in or wanting to clutch that area of my body in sympathy, too, and...yeah. It's too much for me. 

• Love 2

I only get one?!  But there are so many offensive shows out there. 

I'll go with the show about the Duggars.  Anything celebrating an exponentially oversized biological family in the midst of a global overpopulation crisis is gross, but showcasing "quiverfull" types is on another level.  Even worse is being completely dishonest about that movement, framing your show as just being about a quirky huge family who are really religious and have terrible fashion sense and repetitive names - a benign oddity.  The whitewashing is an absolute travesty for which TLC should be ashamed, but, of course, TLC has no shame. 

The deplorable misogyny, homophobia, authoritarianism, insularity, and other oppressive abuses in the movement could have been unearthed with a toothpick back when the show was pitched; I'd read about it in investigative journalism pieces well before I read about the show, but even a cursory search of mainstream media would have brought up the horrifying Andrea Yates case.  That it was greenlit, and then stayed on the air even after greater attention was paid for years to the reality of the "lifestyle" the show was promoting is appalling, and then there's the fact the original only got canceled after molestation within the family was revealed ... but a spinoff was created.

• Love 9

This one is easy for me: Breaking Bad. I have no interest in any TV show that attempts to elicit sympathy or empathy or any positive thoughts for someone who manufactures and sells meth. Having personally witnessed the catastrophe that meth addiction wreaked on a rural family that lived next door to me when I was in extreme northern California, and now seeing the disintegration of formerly healthy young adults that are meth addicts at the food pantry that I work for, as far as I am concerned anyone making and/or selling meth needs to be incarcerated for a very, very long time and I don't care one bit about their "reasons" for doing so.

• Love 9

Anything with a Kardashian in it.

Any and all of the dating shows.

The very idea of Dr Pimple Popper skeeves me out. I won't even watch the commercials.

I love the ID Channel, but cannot watch the shows where the person is still missing or the murder hasn't been solved. I need closure.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

What immediately came to my mind is Schindler's List.  Or Saving Private Ryan, or Twelve Years a Slave, or pretty much any true or nearly true story about how truly horrible things can be.  Kardashians and the like can be annoying, but that wasn't what came to my mind when I first read the question.

• Love 3

There are a lot of shows I won't even bother with because they simply don;t interest me.  As a lot of people have already noted in this QotD, the family-type reality shows top the list.

But then there are shows or movies that make me feel some type of way in my chest that I can't bear to watch them.  And one that jumps immediately to mind is When They See Us.

I know Ava Duvernay's series was brilliant.  I know it did a lot of really tell the story about the injustice done to those kids.  And I know that ultimately they were exonerated and triumphed.

But damn.  I could not watch it.  Just couldn't do it.

• Love 7

I had trouble narrowing it down to one because I've always avoided pretty much all horror-type movies.  (Until about third grade, I used to be afraid to even go to the movies because [unless it was rated G] I was spooked by the prospect of "bad previews" they might show before the feature.)  I finally decided on "Poltergeist" because I was absolutely terrified by the commercials as a kid, that something would come out of the TV and get me.  It didn't help that my best friend at that age, who tended to fib and probably hadn't even seen the movie, would relate horrible and gross things that had happened in it.  If I tried to watch it, I'd probably also be taken out of the story by knowledge of the young actress's horribly sad fate.  I should give my cat some credit for helping me decide on this one, as he is going through one of his phases where he notices images on TV and freaks out.  I told him at one point, "It's just a picture of a brisket at Chipotle, not a poltergeist."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Remember back in June when we were talking about what movie was #1 the day you were born? Well, I posted this:

And, lo, it has come to pass!

Well, not the dancing on Sallie Mae's coffin, but the other more important bit.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 9

I can't think of anything, but maybe as more answers are posted, I'll think, "Oh, I like that, too."

Well, maybe I have an answer.  This isn't an odd smell to like, as it's incredibly popular, but I guess it's odd that I like the smell of it as I loathe - to the point of won't touch so much as a drop of it - the taste of it: Coffee.

• Love 4

- WD40

- Charcoal barbecue  -- not the food (love that, too) but the actual smell of the charcoal briquets on fire

- Fresh printer ink on paper (old skool)

- Clothes dryer vent exhaust

- Sawdust/wood shavings

-Polaroid Pictures just as they are ejected from the camera

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, ABay said:

Diesel exhaust and cigarette smoke, preferably during a light rain. 

For me, I've always kinda liked the smell of diesel exhaust in the winter. It reminds me of being a kid and going out on cold winter days and taking the bus to and from school and whatnot. 

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Well, maybe I have an answer.  This isn't an odd smell to like, as it's incredibly popular, but I guess it's odd that I like the smell of it as I loathe - to the point of won't touch so much as a drop of it - the taste of it: Coffee.

I'll always love the smell of coffee just 'cause it reminds me of being in high school and going out for coffee with my boyfriend in the wintertime :). I do drink coffee, which helps, but even if I didn't, I'd still like the smell for that reason alone. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

image.thumb.png.750b23720b943848801f6fe39353be4c.png

31 minutes ago, ABay said:

Diesel exhaust and cigarette smoke, preferably during a light rain. It reminds me of Amsterdam and Paris.

This👆 might not quite be petrichor (technically "the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil" wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor) but I think of petrichor as being more of the smell of rain on a paved road, which would include remains of diesel exhaust.

So, I don't know if petrichor is something odd that I like the smell of (because lots of people like it) but it's sort of an odd word.

If that answer doesn't quite fit the question, my runner up is marijuana.
I haven't been a smoker of pot in almost 40 years, but I still like the smell, which is probably "odd" since one of its nicknames is "skunk weed" or "skunk."

But most perfumes make me sick, so I'm weird about smells to begin with.

• Love 2

The way my hands smell in the morning when I've applied vitamin C cream to my face the night before. I can't explain it.

I forgot about unsmoked tobacco! When I was in high school I worked in a drug store, and when the tobacco order would come in, the totes it was in smelled so good! We would hold the bags of pipe tobacco  up to our faces and inhale. 

I also like the smell of cigars and pipes being smoked, and burning leaves, and wood.

I'm in with the sawdust and flaming charcoal briquets (after having been doused with lighter fluid) people.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 2