Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Dear Diary: Question of the Day(s)

I'm an ooey gooey center girl. I can tolerate a crunchy edge if that's all that's available (a brownie edge is still a brownie after all), but give me that center cut any day. 

• Like 6

It depends on who made them. If they are nice and gooey, I want the edges to go with the gooey. If they aren’t very gooey, the middle please.

• Like 7

If they don't have chocolate chips, neither. If they have chocolate chips, I suggest you put the pan down and back away slowly.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 9
  • Surprise 1

Center all the way, baby. I like my brownies like I like my chocolate chip cookies, ooey and gooey. 

• Like 4

Definitely the center.  I haven't tried to make brownies, but given my baking history, the edges might be a disaster!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Edge, edge, edge, edge, edge, edge….

• Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Edge all the way.  I much prefer a cakey brownie to a gooey brownie.  I also prefer them with nuts, walnuts especially.

• Like 4

I'm edge all the way, not necessarily corner, but I like the crunch of the edge. Add Choc chips and nuts and I am even happier. 

• Like 2

Center, please. But I actually prefer blondies over brownies. Blondies with chocolate chips are also good :)

• Like 3

For all of you Edge people, just in case you didn't know, there are "all edge" brownie pans.

image.png.71a122ad5f284a7bf96cb650f91a52a6.png

• Like 6
  • Useful 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, JTMacc99 said:

For all of you Edge people, just in case you didn't know, there are "all edge" brownie pans.

image.png.71a122ad5f284a7bf96cb650f91a52a6.png

Can you find a brownie pan that doesn't have any edges?

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

I have been known to eat a whole pan of brownies.  Which is why centre or edge, it doesn't matter.  It's also why I don't bake them anymore.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 6

51 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Can you find a brownie pan that doesn't have any edges?

Both of my kids prefer the center pieces, although my daughter has a strong preference. So I've been known to take the brownie out of the pan whole, and use a sharp knife to remove the edge before cutting it into squares.  

And then I get a glass of milk and have a brownie edge snack party.

• Like 13
  • Laugh 3

I've never made brownies that didn't taste like crap.  I used to have a coworker who made the best brownies.  I don't miss her but I do miss those brownies.

I do make good cakes, I prefer brownies though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, partofme said:

I've never made brownies that didn't taste like crap.  I used to have a coworker who made the best brownies.  I don't miss her but I do miss those brownies.

The problem is that brownies that are pulled out of the oven fully cooked to the perfect consistency, most likely will become overdone when the pan cools due to the heat carry over after the cooking vessel is removed from the oven.

Pyrex seems to retain heat for a very long time after the Pyrex baking dish is removed from the oven.

Also, some individuals tend to over mix the batter.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Brownies are one of those things that are generally pretty good when made from a mix - unlike cakes, cookies and just about everything else.  The next level up are the really intense brownies from the Barefoot Contessa, Epicurious, etc that involve several kinds of chocolate - melted, chips, cocoa.  Sometimes you just don't feel like going to the trouble unless it's to impress guests.  When I want to do that, this is my go to recipe:

Triple Chocolate Fudge Brownies

• Like 4

On 7/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, JTMacc99 said:

So I've been known to take the brownie out of the pan whole, and use a sharp knife to remove the edge before cutting it into squares.

I have been known to cut a piece out of the middle - the exact middle, where it should be the least baked.  No apologies.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5
  • Surprise 1

Just bounced this one off of my college friends. So many memories. Horrible memories.  Heh. 

image.thumb.jpeg.35d0870316e643028fce8ec3253d5f6d.jpeg

• Like 1

Rum and Coke.  It's the only drink that ever made me throw up when I got drunk on it.  Also, generic beer -- it came in a can with just the word "BEER" written in large black letters on a white label.  Nasty stuff.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Natural Light beer.  (What college kid turns down free beer?  This one.  If Natty Light was in the keg, I went and found another party.)

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Boone's Farm apple (or was it strawberry?) wine

ETA: All alcohol disagrees with my digestion, so I only ever have a few sips of whatever is being toasted at the rare times I'm somewhere for such an occasion.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Rum and Coke.  It's the only drink that ever made me throw up when I got drunk on it.  Also, generic beer -- it came in a can with just the word "BEER" written in large black letters on a white label.  Nasty stuff.

Season 3 Bar GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Rum and Coke.  It's the only drink that ever made me throw up when I got drunk on it.  

For me, it was rum and Mountain Dew-in my case, I didn't have it in college, but rather at a party at a friend's house one time. I had the exact same reaction to it you did. That one time was more than enough. I stick to lighter, fruity alcoholic drinks whenever I want something of that sort now (which isn't very often). 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Boone's Farm apple (or was it strawberry?) wine

OMG, I forgot all about strawberry hill - our wine of choice in high school.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2

The drink of choice at parties back in my day was PJ, AKA Jungle Juice.  What does PJ stand for, I have no idea.  The basic recipe calls for the fruit punch of your choice and budget, Everclear, and whatever fruit you felt like throwing into it.  Mix it up in whatever plastic tub you have handy and let it sit for a few hours before your party.  When the party starts, just place a stack of cups nearby and let people get their own.  Ladle and ice optional.

Edited by Ohiopirate02
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Okay, you weren't specific about "drink" so I'm going to say, the milk in the dispenser in the cafeteria that went bad that one time.  Scared me off of milk for quite a while.

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill was the first wine I ever tasted. An older boy gave it to me up on the railroad tracks when I was about 12. My dad gave me a taste of beer when I was very young and it put me off it for life. Once in high school I smuggled in a thermos of screwdrivers. Warm vodka tastes like airplane glue smells.

So by the time I reached college, it was old hat and I just drank regular white wine. Sometimes the kind in a box, but that was as wild as it got.

When I was an undergrad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, the drinking age in NYS was 18. When it changed to 21, student associations at my university would hire buses and drive students over the border to Ft. Erie ON where the drinking age was, and remains, 19.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

2 minutes ago, ABay said:

When I was an undergrad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, the drinking age in NYS was 18. When it changed to 21, student associations at my university would hire buses and drive students over the border to Ft. Erie ON where the drinking age was, and remains, 19. I was already 21 by then so I only went to Ft. Erie for Chinese food.

Ah the good old Drunk Bus.  

Your story reminds me of what my dad got up to his senior year of high school.  He had an October birthday so he was older than his classmates.  At the time the drinking age in Ohio was 18 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor.  Over in West Virginia, it was 18 for everything.  His classmates would give him a ride and the cash and go over the river to WVA to purchase their supplies.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Your story reminds me of what my dad got up to his senior year of high school.  He had an October birthday so he was older than his classmates.  At the time the drinking age in Ohio was 18 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor.  Over in West Virginia, it was 18 for everything.  His classmates would give him a ride and the cash and go over the river to WVA to purchase their supplies.  

And in a parallel universe... I grew up in WV, but whenever we went to visit relatives in OH, my dad would stock up on beer because apparently WV had a much lower limit on the alcohol content.  Not sure when if ever that changed.

37 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The drink of choice at parties back in my day was PJ, AKA Jungle Juice.  What does PJ stand for, I have no idea.  The basic recipe calls for the fruit punch of your choice and budget, Everclear, and whatever fruit you felt like throwing into it.  Mix it up in whatever plastic tub you have handy and let it sit for a few hours before your party.  When the party starts, just place a stack of cups nearby and let people get their own.  Ladle and ice optional.

Ooh ooh I know!  Purple jeezus.  At least so I've heard. (And, i've heard, it involved grape Kool-Aid.)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ooh ooh I know!  Purple jeezus.  At least so I've heard. (And, i've heard, it involved grape Kool-Aid.)

That makes sense.  It was always red when I was younger.  Somewhere someone decided fruit punch was a better flavor than grape and the change was made.  It's not like the flavor of Kool-Aid was the important part of the drink.

• Like 2

Really cheap bear from a keg and rum and coke!

I went to a Catholic university in San Antonio in the early 80s (1982-1986). We had our own pub on campus and Thursday night was pub night where you drank beer, played quarters, and got drunk with the religious brothers and a couple of priests. The drinking age was 19 and the philosophy was that the students will drink and it’s better if they stay on campus.

When the drinking age went up to 21, the pub became an ice cream shop or something (I had graduated by then).

The amount of alcohol I could consume - especially being about 118 lbs (miss that!) and never really drank before college is kind of surprising.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

A ratskeller! I totally forgot about those. Ours was in the basement of the student union but I don't know what happened to it when the drinking age went up.

Are there still student unions or have they all become student centers.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That makes sense.  It was always red when I was younger.  Somewhere someone decided fruit punch was a better flavor than grape and the change was made.  It's not like the flavor of Kool-Aid was the important part of the drink.

Literally one of the thread rules is grape being the best flavor...

On 4/23/2019 at 10:29 AM, Drogo said:
  • Be honest!  We're all just as weird as you are.  Probably weirder.
  • I may make up rules as we go along. 
  • Grape is the best Kool-Aid flavor. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 3

23 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Literally one of the thread rules is grape being the best flavor...

Grape may be the best flavor of Koolaid,  but we're talking about a concoction full of Everclear mixed in a large plastic tub served at room temperature. And those tubs, well do you really think the frat boys were sanitizing them in between parties?  We were not drinking PJ because it tasted good.  We were drinking it to get drunk and it was free.  Usually the only other free option was lukewarm beer.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

The dreaded sloe gin fizz, or any of the Mr. Boston cocktails in a can/bottle.  Pina Coladas were particularly wretched.

Mr B.JPG

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

No alcohol, but there was Crystal Pepsi in the vending machine at my dorm when I started college, and for some reason, I decided to try it.  I don't know what was wrong with me, but I must have tried to buy it again, because I remember a regular Pepsi coming out instead because that fad had ended.  (A friend still insists that Crystal Pepsi was good and was disappointed that it didn't last, but I just picture that SNL sketch with the crystal gravy.)

• Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

When it comes to drinking in general it never interested me.  I don't like alcohol of any kind, which is probably a good thing because I have had a really bad stomach (ulcers) since elementary school.   That all being said, I don't like beer.  In terms of mixed drinks, the only one I can remember having is a Fuzzy Navel (hold the belly button lint) and that was awful. 

I was able to tolerate a wine cooler, but it still affected my stomach.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And those tubs, well do you really think the frat boys were sanitizing them in between parties? 

We lined our grain punch tubs (aka plastic garbage cans) with a highly sanitary Glad trash bag. Actually, we double bagged it just in case.

And for sure, Orange Bug Juice spiked with grain alcohol is something that stopped being something I would touch sometime around the age of 21, if not before then.

• Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

Jägermeister

I have no idea why shots of Jägermeister were a thing in college, but they were .  I don't even like licorice but I did a lot of shots of Jager in my time.  Never again.

• Like 4

A Screwdriver. I think all the acid in the OJ burned out my stomach. I still don’t like to drink that juice since then. Just rarely and a small amount. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

Jägermeister

I have no idea why shots of Jägermeister were a thing in college, but they were .  I don't even like licorice but I did a lot of shots of Jager in my time.  Never again.

I was never a fan of Jager or Goldschlager or Rumplemintz.  They all tasted nasty and had low alcohol content.  I have always been a simple gal, just give me a shot of Jim or Jack or Jose and the occasional Lemon Drop for variety.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I did not drink as an undergraduate at all (or in high school) - I was a hippie and alcohol was something your parents did (in my group's perception) - we stuck to drugs :)

But while in graduate school after finals one term, I went to a very cool local gay bar with my (male) friend and he bought me three rounds of brandy and kahlua which was absolutely delicious so I kept sucking it down. After the third one (I weighed about 100 lbs. then), the place started spinning so I adjourned to the ladies' room where I sat fully clothed on the toilet seat and contemplated the floor (the wallpaper was silver, purple and pink in some sort of pattern that made me even sicker if I looked up). Since this was a gay bar (all guys), no one came in at all and it was not until closing (2 AM) that my friend came looking for me...and then we staggered home (fortunately within walking distance) and my husband had me drink some water and put me to bed.

I will never touch brandy or kahlua again.

• Like 8

Jägermeister, although for some reason my preferred method of imbibing it was via a drink called a Redheaded Slut (Jäger, peach schnapps, and cranberry juice). You're supposed to make poor choices in your youth though, right?

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

OMG, y'all are triggering me.  I had forgotten about my college terrible drinking.  But for me is was: Sloe Gin Fizz ( we thought we were fancy, y'all).  Jagermeister.  And, god forgive me, Goldschlager.  Oh wait... Sex on The Beach because we thought the name was funny.

• Like 4

JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.