Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

No alcohol, but there was Crystal Pepsi in the vending machine at my dorm when I started college, and for some reason, I decided to try it.  I don't know what was wrong with me, but I must have tried to buy it again, because I remember a regular Pepsi coming out instead because that fad had ended.  (A friend still insists that Crystal Pepsi was good and was disappointed that it didn't last, but I just picture that SNL sketch with the crystal gravy.)

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And those tubs, well do you really think the frat boys were sanitizing them in between parties? 

We lined our grain punch tubs (aka plastic garbage cans) with a highly sanitary Glad trash bag. Actually, we double bagged it just in case.

And for sure, Orange Bug Juice spiked with grain alcohol is something that stopped being something I would touch sometime around the age of 21, if not before then.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

Jägermeister

I have no idea why shots of Jägermeister were a thing in college, but they were .  I don't even like licorice but I did a lot of shots of Jager in my time.  Never again.

I was never a fan of Jager or Goldschlager or Rumplemintz.  They all tasted nasty and had low alcohol content.  I have always been a simple gal, just give me a shot of Jim or Jack or Jose and the occasional Lemon Drop for variety.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I did not drink as an undergraduate at all (or in high school) - I was a hippie and alcohol was something your parents did (in my group's perception) - we stuck to drugs :)

But while in graduate school after finals one term, I went to a very cool local gay bar with my (male) friend and he bought me three rounds of brandy and kahlua which was absolutely delicious so I kept sucking it down. After the third one (I weighed about 100 lbs. then), the place started spinning so I adjourned to the ladies' room where I sat fully clothed on the toilet seat and contemplated the floor (the wallpaper was silver, purple and pink in some sort of pattern that made me even sicker if I looked up). Since this was a gay bar (all guys), no one came in at all and it was not until closing (2 AM) that my friend came looking for me...and then we staggered home (fortunately within walking distance) and my husband had me drink some water and put me to bed.

I will never touch brandy or kahlua again.

• Love 8

Jägermeister, although for some reason my preferred method of imbibing it was via a drink called a Redheaded Slut (Jäger, peach schnapps, and cranberry juice). You're supposed to make poor choices in your youth though, right?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

OMG, y'all are triggering me.  I had forgotten about my college terrible drinking.  But for me is was: Sloe Gin Fizz ( we thought we were fancy, y'all).  Jagermeister.  And, god forgive me, Goldschlager.  Oh wait... Sex on The Beach because we thought the name was funny.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

OMG, y'all are triggering me.

I posed this question to my college friends, and the memories they dragged up definitely triggered me. The first one was this stuff:

image.png.e324b0c6902da12e3bcd49a510d7e983.png

I immediately shuddered at the thought of it.

On 7/28/2021 at 5:21 AM, KWalkerInc said:

No alcohol, but there was Crystal Pepsi in the vending machine at my dorm when I started college, and for some reason, I decided to try it.  I don't know what was wrong with me, but I must have tried to buy it again, because I remember a regular Pepsi coming out instead because that fad had ended.  (A friend still insists that Crystal Pepsi was good and was disappointed that it didn't last, but I just picture that SNL sketch with the crystal gravy.)

I LOVED Crystal Pepsi. It came back for a short period of time a few years ago and it tasted just like high school. I know I'm not your friend because I didn't know anyone in college when it came out (junior or senior year of HS)

On 7/28/2021 at 10:06 AM, aquarian1 said:

Jägermeister

I have no idea why shots of Jägermeister were a thing in college, but they were .  I don't even like licorice but I did a lot of shots of Jager in my time.  Never again.

23 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

I can't drink tequila. It makes my clothes fall off.

I was a late bloomer and didn't go off to college but Jager and tequila are on my 'can never drink again' list. The last time I drank tequila my liver checked itself out of my body and got in an cab to go to the ER.

6 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I posed this question to my college friends, and the memories they dragged up definitely triggered me. The first one was this stuff:

image.png.e324b0c6902da12e3bcd49a510d7e983.png

I immediately shuddered at the thought of it.

OMG I've never had that but I think I am hung over and also need to go hang out with my friend "cool bathroom floor" just from looking at that photo.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Oh wait... Sex on The Beach because we thought the name was funny.

I initially ordered this because of the name, but I ended up liking it so every time after that was because I liked it.

• Love 1

In my senior year of high school, my group of friends spent a lot of time at a club downtown because the promoter was sleazy enough to let a group of girls who weren't even 18, never mind 21, in and give them drink tickets (presumably in the hopes at least one of us would have sex with him, which didn't happen).  We always drank sex on the beach.  Because we were 17, and that was hilarious.

I haven't made one in decades, but I'd drink it on a hot summer day if you handed one to me.  Just one, because that's about all I can drink of sweet things, but I'd drink it.

• Love 3
(edited)

By the time I was in college I had toned it down a bit with the drinking (though soon to ramp it up with the drugs, for a few dramatic years, until I quit those in disgust).  But junior high and high school?  

Number one would be this:

https://www.southerncomfort.com/products/original.html

One of my boyfriends gave me a bottle of it for my 30th birthday because I had told him about my earlier fondness for it and no sooner had I screwed off the top and breathed in the cough syrup smell - I ran down the hall to the bathroom and barfed into the toilet.  All those years, and like Proust's madeleine,  the scent brought back all the horrible memories of overdrinking.  My housemates were happy to take it off my hands.  **Shudder**.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

@ratgirlagogo, Southern Comfort was the number one answer from my college friends. For at least one of them, he would have the exact same experience as you. Even a whiff of it will make him sick.  

A few of them used to start the evening by mixing up a pitcher of Alabama Slammers. That was all the Southern Comfort anybody needed for a lifetime.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 7/30/2021 at 5:05 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

All those years, and like Proust's madeleine,  the scent brought back all the horrible memories of overdrinking.  My housemates were happy to take it off my hands.  **Shudder**.

18 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

@ratgirlagogo, Southern Comfort was the number one answer from my college friends. For at least one of them, he would have the exact same experience as you. Even a whiff of it will make him sick.  

That is 100% me and tequila. Years ago I thought I'd be OK and ordered [what used to be] my favorite margarita made by my favorite bartender. She put it down, I went to take a sip, didn't even get it to my lips and I noped right out of there into the bathroom. When I got back it had been consumed by a friend (what a good friend).

When I was younger I used to drink redheaded sluts (as a drink, not a shot), for the same reasons many of you drank sex on the beach. I'm a redhead and it's hilarious. I'd like to say I could probably drink one now but I fear the smell of Jager would have the same reaction as tequila. I stick to beer and vodka (not at the same time) these days.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/16/2021 at 2:46 PM, auntlada said:

vintage-retro-dark-green-handmade-beadin

I am of course going with the idea that I am young and thin and my arms are perfectly toned when I wear this dress. There's a fairy godmother involved. It could happen.

Which day would you like our fairy godmother this week?  I'm happy to work around your schedule.

Coats, cameras, sunglasses.  Thankfully I have managed to curb my actual purchases of these things but at one point I probably had 50 pair of sunglasses, and 30+ coats (and that doesn't count blazers or cardigans), and 20 cameras.  These estimates may be on the low side.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

image.png.6f9e408a19ae364dde2e80ed5fb4f06f.png

Books. Notebooks. Pens. Plants/seeds. Jars (mason jars). I want to splurge on decorations for holidays, but I can't. 

I also love blankets, pillows/cushions, and candles, but I can't afford to just buy more. I keep impulse-buying books, and I can't afford that, either. 

• Love 5

Books for me, too. Also CDs/DVDs, and, to a somewhat lesser extent, stuffed animals. When I worked at a bookstore I lost count of how many stuffed animals I brought home from there. I couldn't help it, they were so cute :p!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Shoes, socks, and coats.  I have so many shoes and coats, but nothing would be appropriate if I had to be fancy.  Clearly, I need to buy more of each.  

If you opened my coat closet you would think I loved winter, am an avid winter sports athlete, and live in the tundra. I hate winter, I don't participate in any sports, live in hell GA and plan to move back to CA soon. Clearly I need to buy more snowboarding jackets, beanies, and gloves.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

image.png.6f9e408a19ae364dde2e80ed5fb4f06f.png

*Sigh*
I am no longer the shopper I once was--which is a good thing--but this question makes me feel old. 
But, in case anyone else feels the same, let's note that it is the "urge" to buy more, not the actual buying.

So, top 7 things I will always have the urge to buy more of:

1. Chocolate
  2. Shoes and boots that function, are fun, and don't hurt
  3. Art supplies (especially watercolor paper and paint and brushes)
  4. conservative swim suits (for swimming, not laying around)
  5. winter coats, sweaters, etc., especially with hoodies to sleep in when the wind blows
  6. computers
  7. guitars and other musical instruments -- though it's been decades

EA35853A-8737-4AAD-A11F-5F54A02C6DD9.thumb.jpeg.241316493932a34f72d8bcd0a37f13d6.jpeg
amazon.com/dp/B00US4UZ3A

Thank you @JTMacc99 for not giving us a number limit. ❤️

Edited by shapeshifter
@anela
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Shoes, purses and cats (adopt in that last one). 

I almost added dogs and cats (adopting), if I could afford to. 

In the past, I would have listed art supplies before anything else. 

• Love 1

Sports cards (even though they seem to be getting lost in the mail a lot again).

In the '90s-early 2000s it was CDs.  I remember once when we drove past the credit union's new building and my mom joked, "That's where all our money went."  A minute later, we went past Circuit City and I said, "That's where all my money went."  At least iTunes later gave me the option of buying individual songs and not having to always pay for a whole album.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

If money were no object the things I would buy no matter how many I had are dogs, costumes (mostly historical and gothic, some superhero and Disney Princesses, all Rose's dresses from Titanic), home decor (so many ideas, so little money). 

• Love 3

Shoes! (my Converse collection has actually become embarrassing), books and cozy sweaters (thankfully I get most everything on eBay and make a point of buying used-but-great for the planet's sake). I have so many shoes and sweaters that now for every one that comes in, one must leave :(

• Love 5
On 10/15/2021 at 5:18 PM, emma675 said:

Books, jeans, and oddly, sheet sets.

Nothing odd about collecting sheet sets.

19 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Earrings. And kitchen gadgets. And earrings made of kitchen gadgets, which should be a thing if they aren't already.

If you're ever in Portland, Oregon, visit Saturday Market and you'll be in kitchen gadget earring heaven.

• Love 4