Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

(edited)

Not that I'm going to fight @Quof for the corners, but, they were always my thing.
😁

Dad used to offer to bring his "secret recipe" brownies to parties. 
They were a Betty Crocker mix with chocolate chips added in and icing on top. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I'm an ooey gooey center girl. I can tolerate a crunchy edge if that's all that's available (a brownie edge is still a brownie after all), but give me that center cut any day. 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Can you find a brownie pan that doesn't have any edges?

Both of my kids prefer the center pieces, although my daughter has a strong preference. So I've been known to take the brownie out of the pan whole, and use a sharp knife to remove the edge before cutting it into squares.  

And then I get a glass of milk and have a brownie edge snack party.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

I've never made brownies that didn't taste like crap.  I used to have a coworker who made the best brownies.  I don't miss her but I do miss those brownies.

I do make good cakes, I prefer brownies though.

• Love 2

Brownies are one of those things that are generally pretty good when made from a mix - unlike cakes, cookies and just about everything else.  The next level up are the really intense brownies from the Barefoot Contessa, Epicurious, etc that involve several kinds of chocolate - melted, chips, cocoa.  Sometimes you just don't feel like going to the trouble unless it's to impress guests.  When I want to do that, this is my go to recipe:

Triple Chocolate Fudge Brownies

• Love 4
On 7/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, JTMacc99 said:

So I've been known to take the brownie out of the pan whole, and use a sharp knife to remove the edge before cutting it into squares.

I have been known to cut a piece out of the middle - the exact middle, where it should be the least baked.  No apologies.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Rum and Coke.  It's the only drink that ever made me throw up when I got drunk on it.  Also, generic beer -- it came in a can with just the word "BEER" written in large black letters on a white label.  Nasty stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Boone's Farm apple (or was it strawberry?) wine

ETA: All alcohol disagrees with my digestion, so I only ever have a few sips of whatever is being toasted at the rare times I'm somewhere for such an occasion.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Rum and Coke.  It's the only drink that ever made me throw up when I got drunk on it.  Also, generic beer -- it came in a can with just the word "BEER" written in large black letters on a white label.  Nasty stuff.

Season 3 Bar GIF by The Simpsons

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Rum and Coke.  It's the only drink that ever made me throw up when I got drunk on it.  

For me, it was rum and Mountain Dew-in my case, I didn't have it in college, but rather at a party at a friend's house one time. I had the exact same reaction to it you did. That one time was more than enough. I stick to lighter, fruity alcoholic drinks whenever I want something of that sort now (which isn't very often). 

• Love 3
(edited)

The drink of choice at parties back in my day was PJ, AKA Jungle Juice.  What does PJ stand for, I have no idea.  The basic recipe calls for the fruit punch of your choice and budget, Everclear, and whatever fruit you felt like throwing into it.  Mix it up in whatever plastic tub you have handy and let it sit for a few hours before your party.  When the party starts, just place a stack of cups nearby and let people get their own.  Ladle and ice optional.

Edited by Ohiopirate02
  • Love 2
(edited)

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill was the first wine I ever tasted. An older boy gave it to me up on the railroad tracks when I was about 12. My dad gave me a taste of beer when I was very young and it put me off it for life. Once in high school I smuggled in a thermos of screwdrivers. Warm vodka tastes like airplane glue smells.

So by the time I reached college, it was old hat and I just drank regular white wine. Sometimes the kind in a box, but that was as wild as it got.

When I was an undergrad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, the drinking age in NYS was 18. When it changed to 21, student associations at my university would hire buses and drive students over the border to Ft. Erie ON where the drinking age was, and remains, 19.

Edited by ABay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ABay said:

When I was an undergrad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, the drinking age in NYS was 18. When it changed to 21, student associations at my university would hire buses and drive students over the border to Ft. Erie ON where the drinking age was, and remains, 19. I was already 21 by then so I only went to Ft. Erie for Chinese food.

Ah the good old Drunk Bus.  

Your story reminds me of what my dad got up to his senior year of high school.  He had an October birthday so he was older than his classmates.  At the time the drinking age in Ohio was 18 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor.  Over in West Virginia, it was 18 for everything.  His classmates would give him a ride and the cash and go over the river to WVA to purchase their supplies.  

• Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Your story reminds me of what my dad got up to his senior year of high school.  He had an October birthday so he was older than his classmates.  At the time the drinking age in Ohio was 18 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor.  Over in West Virginia, it was 18 for everything.  His classmates would give him a ride and the cash and go over the river to WVA to purchase their supplies.  

And in a parallel universe... I grew up in WV, but whenever we went to visit relatives in OH, my dad would stock up on beer because apparently WV had a much lower limit on the alcohol content.  Not sure when if ever that changed.

37 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The drink of choice at parties back in my day was PJ, AKA Jungle Juice.  What does PJ stand for, I have no idea.  The basic recipe calls for the fruit punch of your choice and budget, Everclear, and whatever fruit you felt like throwing into it.  Mix it up in whatever plastic tub you have handy and let it sit for a few hours before your party.  When the party starts, just place a stack of cups nearby and let people get their own.  Ladle and ice optional.

Ooh ooh I know!  Purple jeezus.  At least so I've heard. (And, i've heard, it involved grape Kool-Aid.)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ooh ooh I know!  Purple jeezus.  At least so I've heard. (And, i've heard, it involved grape Kool-Aid.)

That makes sense.  It was always red when I was younger.  Somewhere someone decided fruit punch was a better flavor than grape and the change was made.  It's not like the flavor of Kool-Aid was the important part of the drink.

• Love 2

Really cheap bear from a keg and rum and coke!

I went to a Catholic university in San Antonio in the early 80s (1982-1986). We had our own pub on campus and Thursday night was pub night where you drank beer, played quarters, and got drunk with the religious brothers and a couple of priests. The drinking age was 19 and the philosophy was that the students will drink and it’s better if they stay on campus.

When the drinking age went up to 21, the pub became an ice cream shop or something (I had graduated by then).

The amount of alcohol I could consume - especially being about 118 lbs (miss that!) and never really drank before college is kind of surprising.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

A ratskeller! I totally forgot about those. Ours was in the basement of the student union but I don't know what happened to it when the drinking age went up.

Are there still student unions or have they all become student centers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That makes sense.  It was always red when I was younger.  Somewhere someone decided fruit punch was a better flavor than grape and the change was made.  It's not like the flavor of Kool-Aid was the important part of the drink.

Literally one of the thread rules is grape being the best flavor...

On 4/23/2019 at 10:29 AM, Drogo said:
  • Be honest!  We're all just as weird as you are.  Probably weirder.
  • I may make up rules as we go along. 
  • Grape is the best Kool-Aid flavor. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Literally one of the thread rules is grape being the best flavor...

Grape may be the best flavor of Koolaid,  but we're talking about a concoction full of Everclear mixed in a large plastic tub served at room temperature. And those tubs, well do you really think the frat boys were sanitizing them in between parties?  We were not drinking PJ because it tasted good.  We were drinking it to get drunk and it was free.  Usually the only other free option was lukewarm beer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2