Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Dear Diary: Question of the Day(s)

I prefer #5,  I want the crispy outside and gooey inside.  And who doesn't love setting it on fire and quickly blowing it out??

• Like 5

I don't particularly care for marshmallows, but if I was with people who were sitting around a fire roasting them, I'd eat one - a 4.5.

• Like 1

6. Burn, baby, burn.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 9

6. Plus I don't have the patience for a slow roast, just set it on fire!

• Like 5

I like it crispy with a little char on the outside but all melty-gooey on the inside  So #5 on this but in reality I'd remove it from the fire a scosh before five -- like others have stated above more like a 4.5.

• Like 1

I’m in the 4.5 range as well. I can’t even recall the last time I had one. 

#4 or #5 would be fine for me but strictly on a S'more....I don't like marshmellows without the "trimmings" :)

• Like 1

Wow I wasn’t going to bother with this one but now I feel I need to represent. #3 for sure, but anything 2 through 4 would be acceptable. The charcoal lovers are strong here!

• Like 3

I would choose number 3.  I would eat it as long as it is a vegan marshmallow.  And yes, they do make vegan marshmallows (no gelatin).

Pretty much the only time I like marshmallows is in s’mores, so I’m good anywhere from 4 to 6 — I need the marshmallow heat to melt that chocolate. The char just adds extra flavor.

Number 3, although the last time I ever toasted a marshmallow was when I was like 9 years old and I kept churning out 6s much to my uncles delight, heh. I didn't care for marshmallows so I just gave him all of mine. 

10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

image.thumb.png.07ffef9eaf9479ada8791d11f3ff72c5.png

For me it is 4, provided I can hit that 0.7 second window between 3 and "on fire".

It’s probably been over 50 years, but I think it was a 3 so it didn’t fall off the stick. 
Like @Bastet, I would be willing to have one. 

My favorite would have to be whatever the person next to me wants, so I could give it to them.  I fucking HATE marshmallows (yes s'mores also) and have no idea how they ever became some kind of standard campsite treat.

I think I'd only be like a 2.  This is probably because I can't remember the last time I had s'mores in anything other than the microwave, and even that was almost 20 years ago.

King cone (though this comes with the risk that the cone is stale).

• Like 6

Me today would be the simple ice cream sandwich.  

But my 10 year old self — The strawberry shortcake.  Man, there was something about that artificial strawberry taste and that cookie/cake crumbled coating that was sublime to me!

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

King Kone...but what's in a chocolate eclair because that sounds good.

• Like 4

When I was a kid, we were only allowed to get the Fudge Pop since it was a nickel.  I always wanted the Chocolate Eclair, but it was a dime, so no go.

So I'd get the Chocolate Eclair.  I'm sure it tastes awful, but I'd get it anyway, dammit! 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 5

Ice cream sandwich because it's a little less messy, and I'm not familiar with a lot of the others or don't care for them.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Childhood me would get the snocone. Grown up me will get the Chipwich. BRB, gotta go to Trader Joe's to get a box of their Chipwiches!

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Chipwich, hands down.  In my early 20s (when I had metabolism for days), my co-workers knew that if I made a 3:00 run to the commissary for onion rings, I was having a bad day and needed the pick-me-up, and if I grabbed a chipwich out of the vending machine, I was celebrating a good day.

I'm actually rather uninterested in most of those, and would have been as a kid, too - I've always been more excited by salty, crunchy treats than sweets.  And, come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever purchased something from an ice cream truck.  But my parents had a motorhome, so we went camping at least one weekend a month, and I was always allowed to go buy a treat from the campground store once a day.  That's what I associate these things with.  (We occasionally had them in the freezer at home, but it's primarily a campground thing to me.)

Of that list, the only other ones that I like/sound good (many I'm unfamiliar with) are:

- Ice cream sandwich (that was my childhood choice before I discovered the chipwich, and remains my second choice)
- Drumstick (they're okay; I don't really like nuts [which I love] mixing in with my chocolate, so the top part was something to get through and enjoy the rest, especially the ones that have more chocolate down at the tip of the cone)
- King Cone (never heard of it, but looks good).

I hate Snow Cones, for the same reason I hate blended margaritas or other cocktails - the texture.  I remember tasting a friend's Fudge Pop and disliking it.

• Like 5

Cornetto, which appears to be called King Cone.

• Like 4

Chipwich but it has to be an Its It! Trader Joe's version is not bad, but nothing beats an Its It.

• Like 3

Ice cream sandwich now - as a kid definitely would have chosen the Drum Stick or the creamsicle (whichever was cheaper 😄).

• Like 3

Gonna go with Choco Taco — since I recently realized I’ve never had one. 😮

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m going with Chipwich, but really want to try a choco taco!

I think Walmart has a four pack of them, but also sell them individually. 

• Like 2

I've never seen half of these options but I would go with either the firecracker or the push up pops. 

• Like 3

Strawberry shortcake or snow cone.  There's just something about the Strawberry shortcake I love, even more than the Chocolate eclair despite my  love of  chocolate.  And Snow cones, I just find so refreshing.

• Like 3

Drum Stick.  I get them frequently either from the grocery store or a larger box from Costco.  I like that these now include vanilla fudge instead of chocolate, because I like chocolate ice cream but prefer the drumsticks with vanilla for some reason.  It's important for the cone to be crisp on these as well, otherwise it hurts my teeth!

I think that Taco Time used to have choco tacos and I had one a few times when my mom and I would eat there after a shopping trip.

• Like 7

When I was a kid I always got the bomb pop or the orange pushup. I probably still would although gotta say the choco taco looks intriguing. I've never had one.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Chocolate Eclair all the way!  (If Toasted Almond were available, it would be a tossup.)

I loved those toasted almond ice creams so that would be my dream choice. Since it isn’t available I’d take a Drum Stick. 

• Like 4

I hope it is okay to mention one that isn't in the list.

Toasted Almond Bar.

Apparently I am not the only one that likes them.  😃

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4

When I was growing up my family often bought push-ups from the store, so although I loved them it never made sense to get them from the ice-cream truck since we had them in the freezer.  Hence my choices above. :)

• Like 4

For me there were two main choices from the Ice Cream Truck. I would flip back and forth between the Chocolate Eclair and the King Cone.  I've always been a big fan of vanilla ice cream with other stuff getting involved.

If I were putting in requests for my mom to pick things up from the supermarket, I'd add on the creamsicle and the ice cream sandwich options.

• Like 4

What is it about ice cream trucks anyway? They rarely went through our last neighbourhood (and I've yet to see one here) but when we would hear that music, even without kids around, my husband and I would  channel our inner 10 yr olds and then either talk ourselves out of running out and chasing it up the street or else we would give in and run out and chase it up the street!

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

My favorite from the ice cream truck is not listed above. It was the chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bar on a stick that had a hard chocolate center, preferably with rice krispies in the chocolate coating, but not necessarily.

c3c4e722a6473acfbb89605f8e07c0a8.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

My favorite from the ice cream truck is not listed above. It was the chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bar on a stick that had a hard chocolate center, preferably with rice krispies in the chocolate coating, but not necessarily.

c3c4e722a6473acfbb89605f8e07c0a8.jpg

Yes yes yes!!!  I think it was called the Chocolate Chip on the Good Humor truck when I was young.  I think the chocolate coating was smooth, but the whole point of the treat was the semi-sweet hunk of chocolate molded around the stick.  If they still made it, I'd buy an extra freezer. 

• Like 4

JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.