Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Dear Diary: Question of the Day(s)

I'm in your ballpark @icemiser69.  For just eating, I'm looking at #4 with 5, 6, and 3 in that order.  Since most of the bananas I eat are tossed in the blender with a bunch of other fruit, anything from 4-7 works.  If there's still a hint of green, I find that the whole thing goes from sweet to grassy flavored.

Also, the more ripe a banana gets, the more of an antioxidant powerhouse it becomes. 

• Like 4

I legit don't care for Bananas. I mean they are not horrible and I can eat one no problem, but they would not be my go-to snack.  But If I had to choose it would be:

#3.

• Like 2

I prefer 4 or 5, but will also eat 6 with mushy parts, if any, removed.

7 is too ripe; time to bake banana bread

3 is edible, but not as sweet as 4 or 5

2 tastes like grass, and

1 is inedible.

• Like 4

If they’re in front of me on the breakfast buffet, #3.  If they’re all on my counter, 5 through 7 get made into banana bread or frozen for smoothies, and 4, 3, 2, & 1 get eaten one per day, in that order.  Hate to waste food. 

• Like 3

I eat a banana every morning.  I find when I commute, they're the easiest fruit to eat while driving.  Ideally, I like a 3.5, but will definitely eat a 5.  

My only banana issue is they go so quickly from a 3 to a 6 that I can't buy too many at a time and have to keep going to the store. It's a rough life... 😉 

• Like 4

As a child, 2 all the way. As an adult, I think 4 is probably healthier for me.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I eat a banana every morning.  I find when I commute, they're the easiest fruit to eat while driving.  Ideally, I like a 3.5, but will definitely eat a 5.

I hope when you are done you don't throw the banana peel out on to the sidewalk for some innocent pedestrian to slip on.🍌

I have never eaten or had anything to drink while driving.  I am not a fan of eating in a vehicle in general.  It is too easy to get distracted.

• Laugh 1

#4, but not very often. Bananas are too carby and as a source of potassium are trumped by dark green leafy vegies. They don't have much else to offer (other than potassium) and as my son was one of those few children that absolutely hated bananas (it was a textural thing), I am out of the habit of even having them in the house.

• Like 3

Bananas:

#3 or #4 for just eating

#4-#6 smoothies

#6-#7 banana bread

How quickly they progress from #2- #9 ..... (I know it only went to #7)

• Like 4

On 3/22/2021 at 8:53 AM, Bastet said:

#0 (none of the above; I hate bananas)

Just looking at them nauseates me.  (And somehow makes me smell them.  How is that even possible?)  I'd rather eat natto.

• Like 1

The Would You Rather Series - Part 5

Would you rather...

1. Have no eyebrows, or just one eyebrow? (No grooming the one eyebrow to make it look like two.)
  2. Get free meals at every restaurant, or free flights to destinations of your choice? (A magic fairy pays for either choice including tips, so no local restaurants or airlines are harmed in the answering of this question.)
  3. Never get to speak your mind, or always say what you're thinking? 

shocked sesame street GIF

Guidelines for the Would You Rather Series:

• Let us know why you chose one over the other, especially if you have strong feelings about always wanting to be a dancer or eating pizza!
  • PM me with any of your own to include in future questions.
  • Please TRY to answer the questions with the assumption that you wouldn't die making one of the choices. For example, you will not die from obesity from eating Pizza or Ice Cream every meal. It's just "which one would you rather be stuck eating forever."
    - Unless the question is clearly asking you which dangerous situation you would rather face. Then you can assume you might die.

• Like 1

1.  One eyebrow.  I could be the next Frida Kahlo!  Assuming I could paint, of course.

2.  All of the flights to all of the places.  I have missed travelling soooooo much this past year, in a way that I do not miss eating out.

3.  I mostly always say what I'm thinking as it is, so I'll pick that one.

• Like 7

1. No eyebrow - if I can't make the on brow 2, then I  don't want one

2. Both- no can't  do that, fine travel, am I allowed to eat there. 

3. Say what I'm thinking

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The Would You Rather Series - Part 5

Would you rather...

1. Have no eyebrows, or just one eyebrow? (No grooming the one eyebrow to make it look like two.)
  2. Get free meals at every restaurant, or free flights to destinations of your choice? (A magic fairy pays for either choice including tips, so no local restaurants or airlines are harmed in the answering of this question.)

1.  No eyebrows.

2.  Get free meals at a restaurant.   I am afraid of flying.  As a side note, my fear and phobia list is huge.

3.  Never get to speak my mind, which is basically the way I am.  Always speaking one's mind can have very negative consequences.  Plus I am socially awkward, which means sometimes the words that come flying out of my pie hole should have never left my mouth.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Would you rather...

1:  I already have a unibrow, so this one is a no-brainer

2:  Free flights.  Most of the places I'd choose to go have great, cheap, local restaurants.

3:  What kind of stupid question is this?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7
  • Surprise 1

1. No eyebrows. Mine are already so light blond they are mostly invisible anyways so I'm used to this.

2. Definitely opting for the restaurant meals. I hate (and fear) flying nowadays and have already traveled extensively around the world to all sorts of exotic locales plus the eating around where I live is amazing good.

3. Unfortunately I always say pretty much what I thinking and have done my whole life; I suspect if I could not do so, I might actually explode.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

1. No Eyebrows. 

2. Definitely free meals.  With flying, it isn't the cost that turns me off.  For the last 10 years I have travelled quite a bit on my company's dime.  But the actual experience of flying from getting to the airport to getting off the plane and all the stuff in between just doesn't work for me. I have so many travel horror stories. I was so glad when I got promoted so I didn't have to travel so much.

But food... ah.  Back i the day kids used to sell these things called 'Entertainment Books' for fundraisers and they had all sorts of coupons in them. A lot of them were BOGO meal deals at local restaurants. We discovered so many cool new restaurants we might not have otherwise tried without the discount.

3. Say what I want, mos def.

• Like 4

1. No eyebrows. One less thing I have to maintain. It will go well with my bald head from a past question.

2. I like to eat so....

3. I already say what I'm thinking and people either really love me or really don't. We'll continue on with that.

• Like 5

1. No eyebrows.  Hey, it works for Whoopi Goldberg.

You said we couldn't groom the unibrow if we picked one, but didn't say we couldn't draw on fake eyebrows if we picked none, so - no eyebrows.  Then if it bothers me not to have them, I can fake it.  (Which I doubt I would bother doing; my mom has no eyebrows due to her chemo drug, and I never even notice it anymore.)

2. Free flights.  I don't eat out very often, and, while I don't fly terribly frequently, either, I fly first class, so flying for free would save me a lot more money than eating for free.  Of course, all of this assumes the day comes when I feel safe doing either one again.

3. Always say what I'm thinking.  Sure, that means some things would come out at inappropriate times, and, unfortunately, means some insults are going to come out that I would prefer to keep as an internal scream, but it's not like I go around thinking offensive things and would be outed as a bigot by this option.  It's not great, but never being able to speak my mind sounds like my own personal hell, so I'd rather deal with the consequences of saying everything I think.

• Like 6

I think I'd prefer to have one eyebrow. I'd look weird with no eyebrows. 

Free flights, simply because I've never traveled outside the U.S., and there are so many places I would love to go if I had the money and means to do so. If someone's giving me that opportunity, hell, yeah, I'm gonna take it so I can finally see some of these places. 

Always say what I'm thinking. I'm a quiet person in general, and I like that, but it'd be interesting to see what it'd be like to say what's on my mind more often. I'd still be tactful about it, though-there is a way to be honest without being cruel about it. 

• Like 4

No eyebrows, because I think it would be less distracting than having just one. Also, I like symmetry. Definitely restaurants, because I have to eat every day, and I have a wicked Starbucks habit. I would also say what’s on my mind because it’s more or less served me well in life so far.

• Like 4

Man, these are hard. 

1. I guess one eyebrow. I think I'd look ridiculous with none. 

2. While it's tempting to be able to fly for free, I find flying stressful and exhausting. Well, traveling in general. And I really like food so I would go with eating for free. 

3. I sometimes say what's on my mind without thinking and it tends to get me in trouble. So, I think I would choose to never get to speak my mind. 

• Like 5

1.  One eyebrow, because I was pretty close to it back in the day anyway and always had to pluck.  I don't think I'd be very good at drawing in eyebrows if I had none, so I was lucky I didn't lose those back when I had chemo.

2.  Eating for free, because I haven't flown very many places anyway, and the major turbulence last time on just an hour flight turned me off that for a while!

3.  Always speaking my mind, because I hate keeping things bottled in even though it's necessary at times.

• Like 5

1) No eyebrows.  

As @Bastet said:   "You said we couldn't groom the unibrow if we picked one, but didn't say we couldn't draw on fake eyebrows if we picked none, so - no eyebrows.  Then if it bothers me not to have them, I can fake it."  [...snip]

As someone with the skimpiest of brows for some reason or other, I already have to draw them on if I want to appear to have any at all so I'm a pro at that.  

2. Free meals I guess, unless hotels are included with those flights.  I'd love to be able to fly willy-nilly whenever I wanted but would need a place to stay once I got there.  

3. I often have the most inappropriate thoughts at the most inappropriate times so I'd have to lean towards not speaking my mind, which as a highly opinionated person would stick in my craw.

Edited by Callietwo
  • Like 5

For me:

1. One eyebrow would be preferable over no eyebrows for me. Although I'm not 100% that I'd be pleased with that choice in the long run. At this point in my life, I'm starting to grow some rogue eyebrows to the point that when I get a haircut, she spends a minute knocking them back in check.  My no grooming rule could get really ugly once I hit my 60's and 70's.
  2. Free meals and it's not even close. Hell, I could make my way through the menus of the restaurants in a 30 mile radius and not have a repeat meal or glass of wine for years. Free pizzas alone would sell me on this option.
  3. Never getting to speak my mind would be awful, so I'm going with ALWAYS. However, I am fully aware that the first thing that pops into my head is sometimes sarcastic, critical, and typically exists just to amuse myself.  I'm going to need to train myself to think diplomatically. 
  • Like 8

Who would play your mom or your dad (or both if you'd like) in a movie? 

Cbs Good Job GIF by HULU 

• Like 1

Dad was Archie Bunker for sure.  (unfortunately)

Mom was a mix of June Clever, Debra Barone & Rosanne Conner.    

• Like 3

I love this because Lucille Ball was always Mom on TV to me. 

Dad would be mostly Father Knows Best's Jim Anderson and/or Ozzie Nelson, with a bit of Archie Bunker, and also some more creative Dad that has yet to be depicted who did woodworking, jewelry making, and, later in life, grew papaya trees, which he harvested and dried or made into bread.
IDK. Maybe Dad was Ricky Ricardo after all. Dad also had a great singing voice (Sinatra tunes) and could whistle better than Otis Redding.

• Like 3

Maggie Smith would be my choice to play mom. (With an American accent.)  She's does a nice job playing characters with quiet dignity but also with a killer dry sense of humor.

Downton Abbey Deal With It GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

And I'm still thinking about who would play my dad.  

• Like 4

By sheer physical resemblance and if it took place during my own person wonder years (80s)

I would go with Diahann Caroll circa Claudine for my moms, and Ron O'neal circa SuperFly for my dad (my dad totally modelled some of his early 70s looks after Ron O'neal -- we have the hilarious evidence of it)

claudine.jpg.fda4fcc0230910639a114a22498ada6d.jpg824766883_RonOneal2.jpg.73c0e11d73f616ef787b84f73136f2c2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2

If we go on appearance, I'll say Don Rickles for my father.  By attitude, and it's Archie Bunker all the way (until he got brown grandbabies, that is).  

My mother is a little more challenging.

• Like 2

Mom is Sally Field, no doubt. Blanking on dad - can anyone think of an emotionally distant character who pays little attention to his children and favors passive aggressive and/or the silent treatment?

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

For my dad, hands down it's John Goodman as Dan from "Roseanne". He reminds me so much of my own dad, both in looks and in personality, so he'd be a perfect fit. I also would accept Joe Mantegna as Rossi from "Criminal Minds", because he reminds me a bit of my dad, too-dark hair, sarcastic sense of humor, no-BS demeanor. 

My mom would be a little tougher, too, yeah. One person that comes to mind right away as a possibility would be Edith from "All in the Family", because everyone who knew her liked her, and she was a generally quiet person who wasn't afraid to stand up/speak up for herself and others when need be, and that's definitely true of my mom :). I'm sure there's others I could think of, though, so I may mull over that one a little more. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 6

Mom, Betty Draper (because I am sure she smoked when she was pregnant with me) or Marie Barone because she had a favorite and it was very obvious (It wasn’t me...)

Dad, the Professor from Gilligan’s Island (just so analytical and hard to talk to)

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Like 5

On 3/29/2021 at 10:31 AM, JTMacc99 said:

IMO, television characters tend to be one dimensional.  I couldn't pigeon hole either of my parents into one particular television character.  I am not sure I could do it with a combination of television characters either.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

IMO, television characters tend to be one dimensional.  I couldn't pigeon hole either of my parents into one particular television character.  I am not sure I could do it with a combination of television characters either.

Oh I thought it was asking for actors, not characters. So assuming I understood correctly, I’ll take Tom Hanks for my dad and Meryl Streep for my mom. Because my parents were great, but if I get to upgrade...

And do I get to choose who plays me?  Can I get Jane Curtain?  I’m assuming that ages are fluid here. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

24 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh I thought it was asking for actors, not characters. So assuming I understood correctly, I’ll take Tom Hanks for my dad and Meryl Streep for my mom. Because my parents were great, but if I get to upgrade...

And do I get to choose who plays me?  Can I get Jane Curtain?  I’m assuming that ages are fluid here. 

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of the actors who would be cast to play our parents, but if people had a specific fictional parent character in mind, that’s also a fun way to answer!

I probably confused the issue by using a GIF of Mike Brady. D’oh!

And who we would choose to play US in a movie is a completely different (and future) question that I should ask!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Wow, this is an easy one.  For my mom, Barbara Stanwyck.  For my dad,  Chuck Connors. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

This was a tough one.  The only person I could think of for my father is Fred Rogers, because there was some physical resemblance and my father likes to have a very calm demeanor for the most part.  For my mom, maybe Kate Jackson wearing glasses?  (But normal glasses, not like the ones she wore to look nerdy when she played an heiress seeking dance lessons on one episode of Charlie's Angels.)  My mom probably would have liked this answer because she was a big fan of Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of the actors who would be cast to play our parents, but if people had a specific fictional parent character in mind, that’s also a fun way to answer!

I probably confused the issue by using a GIF of Mike Brady. D’oh!

And who we would choose to play US in a movie is a completely different (and future) question that I should ask!

Yeah I was confused.  I read the question and the first few answers, and I sad to myself there is no way that I can come up with characters.

George C. Scott for my dad, and Betty White for my mom.

14 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Wow, this is an easy one.  For my mom, Barbara Stanwyck.  For my dad,  Chuck Connors. 

Those are two people that I wouldn't want to piss off.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:31 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Cbs Good Job GIF by HULU 

eyebrows flirting GIF

My dad bore a strong resemblance to John Belushi.  While Lorraine Bracco circa Goodfellas is a dead ringer for my mom,  Jane Kaczmarek embodies her more.  Especially the character of Lois from Malcolm in the Middle.

• Like 3

For physical resemblance my Mom looks a lot like Mary Tyler  Moore (or as my Mom would tell you MTM looked a lot like her!) my Dad when he was young looked a lot like Robert Goulet - definitely didn't have his singing voice though!

• Like 5

Just based on looks in their 20s, my mother and Judy Garland could have been sisters. Today, Sharon Gless would be great casting. 

• Like 4

The Would You Rather Series - Part 6

Would you rather...

1. Have really small hands or really big feet? (Not comically small baby hands or giant clown feet, but definitely something people would notice if they took a closer look.)
  2. Be a Dentist or a Proctologist?
  3. Sweat honey or always smell vaguely of skunk?

feet jim GIF 

Guidelines for the Would You Rather Series:

• Let us know why you chose one over the other, especially if you have strong feelings about always wanting to be a dancer or eating pizza!
  • PM me with any of your own to include in future questions.
  • Please TRY to answer the questions with the assumption that you wouldn't die making one of the choices. For example, you will not die from obesity from eating Pizza or Ice Cream every meal. It's just "which one would you rather be stuck eating forever."
    - Unless the question is clearly asking you which dangerous situation you would rather face. Then you can assume you might die.
  • Like 1

1_ big feet

2_ dentist

3_ sweat honey.

No contest on any of these!  

I'm super sensitive to the smell of skunk and smell it long before other people usually do and it grosses me out entirely.  

• Like 4

Well, I don't know if my feet are big, per se, but they're a bit on the longer side, so I guess I'd stick with the big feet option, 'cause it's something I'm already used to to some degree :p. And I have long hands as well, and I'm fine with those, so I'll keep them as is, too. I'm just a collection of long, gangly limbs in general, LOL. 

Dentist, definitely. Partly because I'm not really all that chatty a person when I'm working, and since a dentist's patients, obviously, don't get to talk much, if at all, well...:D. Seems a perfect fit in that regard. 

Sweat honey. Skunk smell is strong and ick and can be hell to get out. 

• Like 4

JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.