Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I have never seen Pretty Woman, nor do I ever intend to. I don’t think I could watch that many cliches at once without my head exploding. 

That movie does not hold up well—except for certain comedic scenes. So if you didn’t see it in the ‘80s or ‘90s, don’t bother. Smart move. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I regularly horrify my film studies major brother over what exactly I HAVEN'T watched. Sure, I'll watch 20 Marvel movies, completely and totally out of order, but try and force me to watch something you think is 'good'? Bwahahahahaha, good luck with that! I did subject myself to the first season of The Walking Dead for him, and told him, yeah, it's well done, I understand what you are saying, but I'm NEVER WATCHING THIS AGAIN.

Right now, I'm probably mostly on the never-going-to-do-it train for This Is Us. I understand the appeal. It just doesn't appeal TO ME.

• Love 5

Yup, never watching This Is Us either. It looks too overwrought for my taste.

I think I've seen one MCU movie outside of Black Panther and while it was good, I couldn't tell you the name of it to save my life.

Never saw Dirty Dancing even though I love Swayze. I felt like the pop culture references were all I needed to know about that movie.Same with Pretty Woman.

I don't watch CBS so I've never seen Big Bang Theory and probably never will.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 1

The Sound of Music and The Sopranos.  Otherwise, mostly stuff that's already been mentioned:  ET, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Harry Potter, Titanic, This is Us.   And of course, GoT. 

Edited by harrie
15 hours ago, saoirse said:

Right now, I'm probably mostly on the never-going-to-do-it train for This Is Us. I understand the appeal. It just doesn't appeal TO ME.

2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Yup, never watching This Is Us either. It looks too overwrought for my taste.

Forgot about this one, never seen it, never want to.

In Venezia

On a bridge at dusk I hear

The camponile.

-------------------

I have gazed upon the face

Of Agamemnon.

Looks like Kirk Douglas.

Edited by ABay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Double Overtime!

Then Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!

Next the Stanley Cup

Sorry “birth of my children”, but this makes a better poem.

Heh. Two more things:

1. A guy in this video expresses the exact same sentiment 

2. Totally brings a tear to my eye still. 🙄

Edited by JTMacc99
Link added because it makes me happy.
  • LOL 1

Nobody dies tonight! It's going to be a complete rout by the living. 

Or, there's also the possibility that we'll lose both Tormund and Brienne, a Stark of some sort, Ghost (because this show is mean) and Gilly and little Sam.

• Love 2

The outskirts of a small city in the Midwest - we had pastures behind us where we explored for hours. Less than a mile to school for grades 1-8, and we walked there (when younger, with older neighbor kids). We played Ghost In The Graveyard and SPUD and other games growing up with the neighbor kids. We were lucky, and it was a time when kids could go out in the morning and disappear for hours, and it was okay.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, saoirse said:

The outskirts of a small city in the Midwest - we had pastures behind us where we explored for hours. Less than a mile to school for grades 1-8, and we walked there (when younger, with older neighbor kids). We played Ghost In The Graveyard and SPUD and other games growing up with the neighbor kids. We were lucky, and it was a time when kids could go out in the morning and disappear for hours, and it was okay.

We were lucky too. Lucky to be alive. I grew up in Queens, NY. It wasn't dangerous but the things we did were. For example "The Ride Man" would bring his caged truck to our neighborhood and we would all pile in. No parents in sight. After we were all seated in our chairs (no seat belts) he would collect .25 from each of us, start the ride and drive the truck around the block. The ride was like the rides at a carnival. The individual chairs would spin around while simultaneously moving in a circle. If he was in a good mood he would go around the block again. This is a picture of the ride.

image.thumb.png.de9c21dc894f9ad35d66e2a35557b316.png
One time a man brought a pony to the neighborhood but he was chased out.

We played Ghost In The Graveyard too.

• Love 10

A small town in a part of the country that isn't really the South, but isn't exactly Southwest either, but is too far south and too far west to be Midwest. Everyone knew me because of what my parents did for a living, but really, most adults knew who all the kids were anyway. If we did something we weren't supposed to, our parents usually found out about it before we got home.

We lived in a cul-de-sac neighborhood (it was longer than what I picture as a cul-de-sac, but there was only one way in and out by car) so it was a good place for riding bikes and roller skates. We played four-square in the street because we could see the cars coming and get out of the way in time. We just had to watch out for the one teenage boy down the block who drove way too fast.

There were a lot of kids around my age, from a couple of years younger to four years older, and we'd all play outside on summer evenings while our parents sat in a driveway and talked. We'd play kick the can, red rover, red light/green light, mother may I and a game called lemonade that no one else ever seems to have heard of. (It involves two teams and charades and chasing back to your side.)

I'm pretty convinced that neighborhoods like that don't exist any more. I wish we had one for my son.

• Love 5

I grew up in a very small city -- more like a large town -- in a semi-rural area.  We could leave the house in the morning on our bikes and not come home until supper time.  Or we could roam around the forest on the outskirts of town (keeping watch for bears, of course)!  There was a drugstore downtown with a soda fountain where we could get honest-to-goodness cherry Cokes with our hot dogs or grilled cheese sandwiches.

Our neighbors up the road had a horse, and would let us take turns riding every now and then, and there was a man from another town who'd come to our street and sell his corn and tomatoes from the back of his truck.

We played Red Rover, tag, red light/green light, and if we could collect enough people, we'd play kickball or softball.

• Love 7

I grew up in Miami in the 80s and 90s....it was nice until the South Beach gentrification started in the late '90s. I remember going to the beach with my grandmother on a weekday  (who was able to afford a small apartment two blocks away from the beach easily at that time) and only seeing a few older folks gathered around gossiping, but otherwise empty. I remember walking down her block with her and seeing apartment building after apartment building having rows of older folks sitting outside and chatting about the day. It was the Miami I loved, but will never see again, especially in this day and age of Instagram and the social media "influencer" BS.  Even though I lived in a poorer section of Miami, I was still able to go out and hang out with my friends until dark with minimal parental supervision. My sister and I walked to the corner store by ourselves as kids while my dad napped. People looked out for other people's kids even as recently as then. 

• Love 7

Glendale, California in the 60's and 70's.  Don't know about it these days, but back then it was kind of idyllic in terms of nature, backyard and beyond.  As for the human culture, Lord Byron described it best - it was "where every prospect pleases and only man is vile".

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8

I also grew up in a very kid friendly neighborhood (suburbs outside of a large city).  I live aobut 20 miles away from where I grew up.  One of my sisters actually lives in our childhood home with her family.

I had a great childhood...great neighborhood, lots of kids.  We walked or biked to school.  We enjoyed all four seasons, but summer was especially fun.  Everyone just ran around 'free range' all day long.  Only going home when we heard the brass school bell (or whatever device your mom had for calling you home at dusk).

• Love 4

Vancouver, B.C. Canada.  Right next to the most beautiful Stanley Park, where I played almost every day as a young child.  Communed with the animals - swans, ducks, geese, birds & squirrels, as well as an emu & some sad monkeys at "the Zoo", and a whole bunch of old folks.  I was the only child in our apartment building, so I had many senior citizen friends, but no kids to play with unless my cousins visited.  The old folks were very kind to this rather sad child, and I will never forget them.

Later we acquired "the farm" in Langley, B.C.  30 acres of mostly old growth forest that we cleared portions of, fenced and eventually built a much too large house on.  A river ran through it (and a small creek, too). My stepdad worked me like a fucking dog, and treated me much worse, but I had horses.  I thought I'd live there forever, but the folks lost it, and dashed all my dreams yet again.

In my late teens I discovered Wreck Beach (and later, when it got too crowded, Lion's Bay) - a nude beach in Vancouver where I found freedom, friends, and myself.

Even though I've lived in Hawaii and settled in SoCal in the mid 80s, I still miss my beautiful B.C. - green everywhere, clear waters, snow-capped majestic mountains ...

• Love 8
(edited)

Grew up in an apartment outside of Washington DC in the 60s/70s.  Lots of kids.  There was a pool for summer fun.  A playground with playground things like swings, slides and monkey bars, an a space for kickball.  We could ride bikes around the parking lot because everyone knew there were kids playing in the parking lot so it was safe.  My mom used to ring a cowbell from the bedroom window (we lived on the top floor) when it was time to come in for dinner.  We could also walk to school, and to the shopping center about a half mile from the building.  It was a good time.  

I live several miles away, but drive through the old 'hood sometimes on my way into DC.  It's changed, but what hasn't.  One of my childhood friends and I went to visit the building a few years ago and were so pleased that they've kept it up and it looks quite nice now.  I wouldn't be sad if I were to move back there.  Chances are I won't, but it's good to know it's still a nice place. 

Oh, one more thing - Halloween.  It was great!  There were 157 apartments, and we never had to cover up our costumes with coats since we didn't have to go outside!  And we got enough candy for an entire year!!  

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Kelly said:

Only going home when we heard the brass school bell (or whatever device your mom had for calling you home at dusk).

3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

My mom used to ring a cowbell from the bedroom window (we lived on the top floor) when it was time to come in for dinner.

My mom used a cowbell as well! When we moved to the neighborhood, she took to ringing it at noon, at dinner time, and at bedtime. Our neighbor (not to be outdone - he was what you may call a bit 'competitive'?) installed an airhorn at the top of their antenna (yes, ANTENNA! Kids, go ask your grandparents!), so Mom would ding her little cowbell, and Jack would blow the airhorn, guaranteed to make you pee your pants if you were too close and/or asleep!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ABay said:

My mom used a whistle and I and my siblings each had a different number of toots.

Your mom didn't by chance serve in the Austro-Hungarian Navy, did she?

• LOL 9

I grew up in a small town in upstate NY, no chain restaurants, a small grocery store, a bowling alley, a couple mom & pop restaurants and a pizza place. The Am/Pm convenience store was the place to get candy and soda for less than a dollar. We had a kids bowling league every Saturday morning, church school Wednesday after school that we had to walk to. As a matter of fact we walked or rode bikes to basically any place in town, be it a mile or 5. Everyone knew everyone, if not by actual first name, by the 'family' name, as in: she's related to so-and-so who was the cashier at the IPA. In the summer we did the recreation program at the town park, we rode our bikes down in the morning, went home for lunch, rode back for the afternoon and had to be home for dinner at 5:00pm. Both my folks worked, so they had no idea where we were but you betcha the other moms who didn't work made sure we behaved. The highlight of our summer was the annual town parade and fireman's carnival, it lasted a whole 3 days and we'd spend every minute riding those sketchy rides and eating funnel cakes, sugar dusted waffles and guzzling orange soda. I miss those days. 

• Love 6
On 4/30/2019 at 9:18 PM, walnutqueen said:

Vancouver, B.C. Canada.  Right next to the most beautiful Stanley Park, where I played almost every day as a young child.  Communed with the animals - swans, ducks, geese, birds & squirrels, as well as an emu & some sad monkeys at "the Zoo", and a whole bunch of old folks.  I was the only child in our apartment building, so I had many senior citizen friends, but no kids to play with unless my cousins visited.  The old folks were very kind to this rather sad child, and I will never forget them.

Later we acquired "the farm" in Langley, B.C.  30 acres of mostly old growth forest that we cleared portions of, fenced and eventually built a much too large house on.  A river ran through it (and a small creek, too). My stepdad worked me like a fucking dog, and treated me much worse, but I had horses.  I thought I'd live there forever, but the folks lost it, and dashed all my dreams yet again.

In my late teens I discovered Wreck Beach (and later, when it got too crowded, Lion's Bay) - a nude beach in Vancouver where I found freedom, friends, and myself.

Even though I've lived in Hawaii and settled in SoCal in the mid 80s, I still miss my beautiful B.C. - green everywhere, clear waters, snow-capped majestic mountains ...

If he’s still alive I hope he’s miserable. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Elegant Buttercup Dream

Should be Forgetful Buttercup Doofus because I had to scroll up three times to get it right!

Me too!

Even the second part...  

• Love 4

Swaddled in a throw, lounging on my bed, watching true-crime documentaries, while a rotating squad of pizza delivery people drop off nourishment. And wine.