Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19 Grandma's Way

American Housewife

Grandma's Way (Season 3 | Episode 19)

8:00PM EST Tuesday | ABC

When Katie gets sick, Greg enlists Kathryn's help in taking care of the kids, but Kathryn leaves the kids to fend for themselves while she entertains an old high-school boyfriend. Meanwhile, Taylor gets a taste of her own medicine when she tries to help an unruly Katie.

Air date: April 23, 2019

This was a nice episode. I liked that Taylor understood what it was like to be a parent.

Nice to see their grandmother again. I think she's good for the show in small doses. Greg's assistant at works character is annoying and they need to get rid of him.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

This was a nice episode. I liked that Taylor understood what it was like to be a parent.

Nice to see their grandmother again. I think she's good for the show in small doses. Greg's assistant at works character is annoying and they need to get rid of him.

I think it was even more funny that Katie acts like Taylor at times and she got to view this. Same goes with Oliver realizing he is like his grandma. Going for the "Get rich quick and life will be great." However, those lessons will be lost, but really, I hate Greg's assistant, just because the writers admit he is annoying and everyone hates him, doesn't mean to keep him around. Seriously, he brings nothing to the table and the show is falling into the trap of: "he might have his tenure, but it's hell because of his assistant or office politics." Writers, go visit a real college and maybe you will find out what is funny.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

I can't stand that character and I truly hope he is gone for good!

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I can't stand that character and I truly hope he is gone for good!

I agreed with Katie, just fire him and be over with it. The only reason why he ended up Greg's assistant was because the other professors have been passing him off to the next person. Someone have the balls and go: "Yeah, you are a moron and how did you even get into graduate school? Get out!"

• Love 4

Since Greg's assistant only hears what he wants to hear, he probably would never believe that he'd been fired.

Taylor sounded so exactly like Katie shouting "Greg!!", was that Katy dubbing?

Is Anna-Kat the only one who ever smiles? When Katie does, it's more of a snarl.

2 hours ago, readster said:

Nice to see their grandmother again. I think she's good for the show in small doses

Agreed. Good for the family, too -- a devil-may-care version of Katie.

• Love 3

Taylor sounded so exactly like Katie shouting "Greg!!", was that Katy dubbing?

I thought is was a good impression too unless it was in fact dubbing.

I thought Wendie Malick sort of wore out her welcome the last time she was on the show, but I had to laugh when she said Oliver inherited her skinny legs because gosh darn, that kid really does have skinny legs!

I had myself convinced it would turn out Katie was pregnant so I was fairly horrified that her mother gave her some kind of gorilla tranquilizer.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

I thought this episode was a bit on the nose for my liking. I mean, I get it, and I think A LOT of people have probably had that experience where you hear what you're saying and realizing the relationship roles have reversed for the moment, regardless of why. At the same time I feel like every so often TV writers will have one of those experiences in real life and then respond with "I must write an episode about this!" because it feels so fresh and real because it just happened, ignoring that we've probably all seen about 87 different episodes of various shows covering this exact phenomenon, so unless the way it's handled is especially funny, the premise alone is not. It's so so so stale.

• Love 3

Thought this episode was shown out of order.  It's spring and no mention of Easter or spring break and football in the spring?! Grandma was sleeveless, Taylor and Greg in  sweaters and Anna Kat and friends complaining it was cold outside. Also Greg's assistant hasn't been mentioned since last fall nor Gina or grandma. Taylor is with Trip but it could have been filmed back before their brief split. Enjoyed the episode but I did wonder. Spring is track and golf and baseball in most high schools. Football is late summer/Fall. So it did take me out of the episode a bit. But I strongly 2nd the poster who pointed out how well Gregory Harrison has aged!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, lark37 said:

Thought this episode was shown out of order.  It's spring and no mention of Easter or spring break and football in the spring?! Grandma was sleeveless, Taylor and Greg in  sweaters and Anna Kat and friends complaining it was cold outside. Also Greg's assistant hasn't been mentioned since last fall nor Gina or grandma. Taylor is with Trip but it could have been filmed back before their brief split. Enjoyed the episode but I did wonder. Spring is track and golf and baseball in most high schools. Football is late summer/Fall. So it did take me out of the episode a bit. But I strongly 2nd the poster who pointed out how well Gregory Harrison has aged!

You do have to wonder, because of everything they pointed out. It is true that sometimes episodes are filmed out of order due to schedules of the actors or the directors. It's like Oliver reviewing Spencer's tapes the previous episode. Felt that should have happened a few episodes before, but of course constant: "Oliver has to point out his family sucks when it doesn't." It's like with Oliver realizing he is his grandma and if he doesn't get a reality check he is going to end up liker her in his 60s still trying for the "big score" when everything he does gets him not only into trouble, but proves it doesn't work. Same with Greg's assistant, the writer/producers love the actor more than the audience does and has one note: "annoying and would be on the streets in the real world." 

• Love 1