Type keyword(s) to search

Restaurant: Impossible - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/3/2020 at 4:00 PM, walnutqueen said:

If any of you remember the Rosie's Cafe episode from last year, the owner was involved in a serious hit and run accident, and has been in the ICU since Dec. 21st.  Here's a local story about it:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/escondido/story/2019-12-31/rosies-staff-keeps-escondido-cafe-going-while-owner-recovers-from-hit-and-run-crash

Oh no. I hope she recovers. 

• Love 2

Catching up on McLanks' (mother and six kids).  OMG.  There's no amount of lipstick they could put on that pig (no offense to actual pigs) that would make me touch one bite of food processed by those slobs.

Yuck.  Ick.  Nast.

Their online reviews aren't bad, which makes me suspicious of online reviews.

• LOL 1

I just finished Blue Orleans in Chattanooga.  Golly Gee, we were treated to a bonus 30 minutes of Irvine's family counseling.

Actually, from what they showed I liked the funky corner building and funky brick walls inside the restaurant.  The food looked pretty good too, but I'm a sucker for N'Awlins cuisine.

The owners' two kids were gems.

• Love 3

I've now watched the Malta episode of Restaurants on the Edge (Netflix). A team of three (leader, designer and chef) saved a struggling seafood place in a main port city owned by a well-known footballer. Yep, they had to give him some tough love, redesign the room and the menu. But instead of pulling crap out of their asses, mugging for the camera and the fake drama, they explored the area and gave background for all of their choices and actions. Found a new fix for people flying in to fix a broken joint that's interesting, culturally educational and all done without screaming or the bs that goes on here. What a nice concept this can be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Watched the episode with Robert and his wife at home watching the very first episode last night. His wife saying "you're not always right" and the look he gave her. Lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/8/2020 at 12:38 PM, rcc said:

Watched the episode with Robert and his wife at home watching the very first episode last night. His wife saying "you're not always right" and the look he gave her. Lol

I loved when she was teasing him about his hair.  I love all these shows since the pandemic with stars at home just being themselves.

• Love 3

Watching tonight's episode right now called "Fixing a Family in Houston" and wow, just wow. The owners, unmarried life partners with an adorable little 3 year old girl, are toxic with each other. I can practically feel the toxicity leaching through the screen. I hope that they can make it as a couple for their child's sake, but I really have my doubts. Word to Robert: I know that you mean well, and I am not even being sarcastic about that statement but, some folks really need professional relationship counseling help.

• Love 2
On 5/21/2020 at 9:48 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Watching tonight's episode right now called "Fixing a Family in Houston" and wow, just wow. 

I had to check here if anyone commented. This was the most disturbing reality TV episode I've ever seen. I don't think it should have aired.

I felt like I was watching a video made for Psych 101 showing major psych/personality disorders and their effects on others.

I was speechless. And concerned. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Emkat said:

I had to check here if anyone commented. This was the most disturbing reality TV episode I've ever seen. I don't think it should have aired.

I felt like I was watching a video made for Psych 101 showing major psych/personality disorders and their effects on others.

I was speechless. And concerned. 

Well put @Emkat. Of course there was the just-in-time happy ending for the couple and, apparently from the end notes, they are still together. However, I find it hard to believe that a few heartfelt conversations and guidance from Robert would be enough to overcome what I saw transpire between those two. What I witnessed was an almost bottomless boiling cauldron of anger, distrust and resentment.

What I also found understandable but disturbing was their desire to stay together for the sake of their little girl. I think the woman even said that she (the little girl) really liked it when they were together. That statement gave me the chills. If their relationship ever starts to go down the drain again, better to separate and raise a child with love from both parents than to have her be exposed to the nightmare we all saw.

Psych 101 indeed.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Emkat said:

@DC Gal in VA I was really upset by the whole thing. There's a lot going on here IMO but I don't want to be too much of an armchair psychiatrist!

Tee hee @Emkat, I know, I know but................ Their dynamic was so creepy and toxic even someone like myself with her totally imaginary degree in psychology could see that those two were off the charts bat shit crazy!

Surprised that there was so little response here for this episode. Then again, I haven't checked Reddit yet, LOL!

• Love 4

It was really disturbing. I am surprised Robert didn't just back out of this one. Without serious counseling I don't see how this couple can really come together enough to raise that sweet little girl in a healthy environment. I am sad for the daughter.

• Love 2

This is one of the reasons I can’t watch this show. Robert is a resume-padding/lying cook under contract to host a reality show on FN. Want to revamp a menu? Cool. Wanna boss around a contractor and design team? K. Wanna pretend you’re qualified to sort out troubled family dynamics or deep psychological issues? STFU.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

It was really disturbing. I am surprised Robert didn't just back out of this one. Without serious counseling I don't see how this couple can really come together enough to raise that sweet little girl in a healthy environment. I am sad for the daughter.

I agree @Gramto6. Can you imagine the guilt that dear child could carry through life because her parents stayed in a combative, loveless marriage "for her sake?" I know that all couples have disagreements but their interactions were so uncomfortable to watch. Maybe Robert felt compelled to stay and try to help for the little girl's sake?

I found this one particularly disturbing too.  The husband gave me the creeps.  He is controlling and if she should try to split up with him I fear how he'd react.  I especially didn't like how the show pretty much glossed over their issues to a forced "happy ending" that we all know did not really exist.  I doubt this place will make it, especially after the Pandemic.    

Also, this is a case IMO where "staying together for the children" is actually probably WORSE for the children than splitting up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I found this one particularly disturbing too.  The husband gave me the creeps.  He is controlling and if she should try to split up with him I fear how he'd react.  I especially didn't like how the show pretty much glossed over their issues to a forced "happy ending" that we all know did not really exist.  I doubt this place will make it, especially after the Pandemic.    

Also, this is a case IMO where "staying together for the children" is actually probably WORSE for the children than splitting up.

They both scared the crap outta me @Yeah No but I think you may be right about the husband. When Robert tried to get him to articulate his feelings or what he wanted, he became barely coherent with his response or "unstuck" as my favorite tv detective Lt. Joe Kenda, loves to say.☺

Unless I imagined it, the screen notes at the end said that they were still together and were focusing on take out to maintain their business during the pandemic.

• Love 1

I don't care for Robert and especially hate his Dr. Phil untrained psychologist antics but even I don't think he really believed he helped these people.   Food Network's a business and Irvine's their bitch.   They were going to get an episode out of this and were going to stick to their narrative of 'Robert Irvine fixes restaurants by fixing the owners',    But anyone could see they needed professional help, especially the husband,   The way he desperately wanted her but would get so agitated she was trying to shut him out was just scary to watch.  Hopefully they arranged for some professional counseling afterwards but I wouldn't bet on it,  

• Love 1

Wow tonight's show had me in tears almost the whole time. I had read about Rosie's accident and the hardship for the restaurant. It was heart warming to see her former boy friend step up to cook and her mom is an amazing person. Easy to see where Rosie got her tenacity. I loved how the community supported her and the chefs from other RI shows. This was a really positive upbeat show. I loved it! I hope she recovers fully and can go back to her restaurant.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Wow tonight's show had me in tears almost the whole time. I had read about Rosie's accident and the hardship for the restaurant. It was heart warming to see her former boy friend step up to cook and her mom is an amazing person. Easy to see where Rosie got her tenacity. I loved how the community supported her and the chefs from other RI shows. This was a really positive upbeat show. I loved it! I hope she recovers fully and can go back to her restaurant.

I just watched it too but Robert said “We raised $48,949 plus I will give you $20,000” making it $68,949 but where did the extra $50,000 come from to make $118,000? 

• Love 1
Just now, DVDFreaker said:

I just watched it too but Robert said “We raised $48,949 plus I will give you $20,000” making it $68,949 but where did the extra $50,000 come from to make $118,000? 

Restaurant Impossible gave the $50,000.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Restaurant Impossible gave the $50,000.

Thank you! That is very nice of them to do that! My prayers goes out to Rosie and I hope she will recover and go back to her restaurant soon

• Love 3

I just wanted to say that Lynn's restaurant makeovers have come a long way since he's been on the show.  Tonight's makeover at T. Phillips was jaw droppingly gorgeous.  He keeps outdoing himself.

Also, in sad news, Rosie's Café in Escondido has closed, and this was after Robert held the event that raised money for her.  The article here explains it, and yes, the pandemic has something to do with it. 🙁

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I just wanted to say that Lynn's restaurant makeovers have come a long way since he's been on the show.  Tonight's makeover at T. Phillips was jaw droppingly gorgeous.  He keeps outdoing himself.

Also, in sad news, Rosie's Café in Escondido has closed, and this was after Robert held the event that raised money for her.  The article here explains it, and yes, the pandemic has something to do with it. 🙁

Hi @Yeah No. I saw the T. Phillips restaurant in Glendora too tonight and you are so right, it was absolutely gorgeous.

Perhaps the redesign of the restaurant was a type of serendipity because it all happened pre-Coronavirus. For instance, I noticed that the seating, as in the spacing between the tables, seemed to be perfect for social distancing as states begin allowing the reopening of restaurants and other businesses where large groups of people gather. Even the long group tables with a long bench on one side and individual seats on the other are perfect for large families and are back-to-back to the same set up so those large groups won't even be facing each other. Also, the high ceilings and those beautiful ceiling fans are a plus because scientists believe that the better the air flow the lower the chance of virus transmission. 

I read an article where Robert said that the days of the 300 seat packed restaurants are over due to Covid-19. I agree with him and I have absolutely no desire to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with a bunch of strangers any time soon if at all.

Thanks for the update on Rosie's Cafe. I am so glad that she's on the mend and now has the funds to assist in her recovery. I hope that they can reopen some day or maybe, since she says that her community is so supportive, some of the locals can get together and reopen it; I've seen that happen before.

Take care.

• Love 2
(edited)
41 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I read an article where Robert said that the days of the 300 seat packed restaurants are over due to Covid-19. I agree with him and I have absolutely no desire to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with a bunch of strangers any time soon if at all.

Thanks for the update on Rosie's Cafe. I am so glad that she's on the mend and now has the funds to assist in her recovery. I hope that they can reopen some day or maybe, since she says that her community is so supportive, some of the locals can get together and reopen it; I've seen that happen before.

Take care.

I thought the same thing about the T. Phillips restaurant, also the fact that it had a large outdoor seating area, also good for social distancing.

I agree about Rosie's too.  My fingers are crossed that something will come through so she can reopen it.

I'm not even ready to eat outdoors at a restaurant much less in a large packed dining room.  I haven't even trusted take out save for pizza in over 2 months because I can have one dumped in my trunk, then pick up the slices with a gloved hand and put them in the oven to kill off any possible surface germs.

I know, I'm extreme.  I feel terrible about it but I'm in a risk group so I don't take chances.

The restaurant food I miss the most is sushi because I don't make it at home.  I found some frozen sushi at Aldi when I ordered an Instacart delivery, and it wasn't that bad but I still miss real sushi.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I thought the same thing about the T. Phillips restaurant, also the fact that it had a large outdoor seating area, also good for social distancing.

I agree about Rosie's too.  My fingers are crossed that something will come through so she can reopen it.

I'm not even ready to eat outdoors at a restaurant much less in a large packed dining room.  I haven't even trusted take out save for pizza in over 2 months because I can have one dumped in my trunk, then pick up the slices with a gloved hand and put them in the oven to kill off any possible surface germs.

I know, I'm extreme.  I feel terrible about it but I'm in a risk group so I don't take chances.

The restaurant food I miss the most is sushi because I don't make it at home.  I found some frozen sushi at Aldi when I ordered an Instacart delivery, and it wasn't that bad but I still miss real sushi.

Hello again. I've ordered take out mainly because, although I usually love cooking, lately I've come to dread it. I think it's probably what a lot of us are going through these days. I have ordered stuff out of convenience and have concluded that the most convenient isn't usually the most delicious--I'm talking about you Dominos--and I also feel guilty about spending money that way when I have food I can make at home.

BTW no, you are not extreme in the least. I have health issues too and, like you, try to be careful.

Hahaha, why oh why did you have to mention sushi?😊 I love sushi! Making it at home? Um, "yeah, no" because I'm too chicken shit for that, LOL. I've bought it fresh from Harris Teeter and it's okay but nothing beats having it in a restaurant.

Back to T. Phillips, good points about the outdoor seating; I had forgotten about that. It's so lovely and fortunately so well designed to ride out the current crisis, I found myself fantasizing about dining there.

I have a lot more to say about restaurant dining and ordering take out these days but will post any additional comments about that on the Covid-19 thread located under the Everything Else forum.

Hope to hear your thoughts about that on that thread.

Stay safe.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I have a lot more to say about restaurant dining and ordering take out these days but will post any additional comments about that on the Covid-19 thread located under the Everything Else forum.

Hope to hear your thoughts about that on that thread.

Stay safe.

Hi, I responded in the Covid-19 thread - see you there! 🙂

On 6/4/2020 at 11:26 PM, Yeah No said:

Thank you for posting, that really sucks that the restaurant is closed for good! I hope Rosie will recover quickly and focus on other opportunities! 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode tonight, Jackson and Monique is a cute couple and their bar is very cool looking, I would love to try their restaurant sometime and congratulations to Jackson and Monique on their engagement! 

• Love 3

I was reading an article and saw this quote “During Restaurant Impossible’s 13 seasons, 100 of 140 restaurants rescued on the show eventually closed, with 37 still open under their original owners, according to a list compiled by Food Network Gossip.”

That is really sad

• Useful 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I was reading an article and saw this quote “During Restaurant Impossible’s 13 seasons, 100 of 140 restaurants rescued on the show eventually closed, with 37 still open under their original owners, according to a list compiled by Food Network Gossip.”

That is really sad

I read this on the "Food Network Gossip" site:

Running Total Of Episodes That Have Aired - 107 of 168 Restaurants Have Closed, 3 Restaurants Have Sold, and 58 of 168 Restaurants Are Still Open with the same owners.

I don't blame the show for this, though.  It's obvious that these owners have issues going into this show that no one but they can fix.  The show gives them the tools they need but they often resist and go back to old habits.  Also a lot of them are in such financial trouble that even turning the restaurant around isn't going to help.  The problem is that they turn to the show when it's too late no matter what they do.  At least the makeover can help them sell the place if it fails.

Also, the longer ago the restaurant was made over the more likely it is to have closed and the success rate may be getting better.  It looks like the show's track record got significantly better around 2015.  It remains to be seen as to whether they're picking better candidates that have a better chance of succeeding, or whether the show got better at helping them or both.  The ones that close usually do within 3 years of the makeover but we don't know how many close for other reasons not connected to the makeover.

I participated in an episode as a dining guest way back in 2010 in my area - I was also asked how I liked the food and appeared on camera in season 2.  I knew someone that knew the family that owned the restaurant and they told me they went right back to their bad menu and habits as soon as Robert left so they had no one to blame but themselves for their closing.  The restaurant is still in business, though, with different owners.

This is the site that keeps the statistics:

https://www.foodnetworkgossip.com/p/restaurant-impossible-updates.html

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

It's obvious that these owners have issues going into this show that no one but they can fix. 

This is exactly what I think most of the time when I watch this show. 

And in some cases, even they can't fix their issues. You can't fix stupid. You can't fix the ability of the local economy to support you... 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I read this on the "Food Network Gossip" site:

I don't blame the show for this, though.  It's obvious that these owners have issues going into this show that no one but they can fix.  The show gives them the tools they need but they often resist and go back to old habits.  Also a lot of them are in such financial trouble that even turning the restaurant around isn't going to help.  The problem is that they turn to the show when it's too late no matter what they do.  At least the makeover can help them sell the place if it fails.

Also, the longer ago the restaurant was made over the more likely it is to have closed and the success rate may be getting better.  It looks like the show's track record got significantly better around 2015.  It remains to be seen as to whether they're picking better candidates that have a better chance of succeeding, or whether the show got better at helping them or both.  The ones that close usually do within 3 years of the makeover but we don't know how many close for other reasons not connected to the makeover.

I participated in an episode as a dining guest way back in 2010 in my area - I was also asked how I liked the food and appeared on camera in season 2.  I knew someone that knew the family that owned the restaurant and they told me they went right back to their bad menu and habits as soon as Robert left so they had no one to blame but themselves for their closing.  The restaurant is still in business, though, with different owners.

This is the site that keeps the statistics:

https://www.foodnetworkgossip.com/p/restaurant-impossible-updates.html

Thank you for the link and comment, it is interesting 

• Love 1

Faulty premise. If they chose restaurants that needed remodeling and a better menu (and a couple of tech updates) then Robert, with other expert help and FN pockets, could certainly help. But reality TV wants more drama so they find dysfunctional people, assholes with reprehensible hygiene in their kitchens—and elsewhere, undoubtedly—so high failure rate ain’t surprising. Or satisfying, but I’m not a Robert fan.

• Love 1

I caught the end of a staying home addition of this show. I guess that's the thing now. Anyhow, it was interesting it had Robert, Tom, Tyanna and the producer on discussing an old (and dramatic) episode. It was interesting to hear what the designers had to say about the work that got done and behind the scenes stuff. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

There is going to be a new episode Thursday 1/7/2021. Then all the rest of the new episodes will be on their new streaming service Discovery+ which will cost you a monthly fee.

Not me, won't be paying for that show or any other one on that service. I can live w/out that show...

• Love 3

I noticed s few if the Discovery, Inc. channels are doing hour long episodes to show what's on Discovery+. One article I read said Discovery+ is aimed at viewers who have cut the cable cord. I won't pay for Discovery+. I've looked at the shows and there are a few I'd watch, but not interested enough to pay for it. And I sure as hell wouldn't pay for this show. I never watch it. It'll be interesting to see if they can make Discovery+ worth the effort. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I noticed s few if the Discovery, Inc. channels are doing hour long episodes to show what's on Discovery+. One article I read said Discovery+ is aimed at viewers who have cut the cable cord. I won't pay for Discovery+. I've looked at the shows and there are a few I'd watch, but not interested enough to pay for it. And I sure as hell wouldn't pay for this show. I never watch it. It'll be interesting to see if they can make Discovery+ worth the effort. 

Totally agree, nothing on that streaming I would even want to watch let alone pay for it! 

That will be interesting to see. I am a little old lady, could care less about 90 day fiance or love after lock up or any remodel shows. I get enough cooking from FNW and Cooking Network. I pay enough for cable, internet and cell phone, not interested in Dish+ carp. I do have Amazon Prime so I can watch things there if needed but don't watch there much...

Edited by Gramto6
typo

Well I’m paying for the service lol.  Was okay with the $4.99 package that included commercials and my husband argued that the additional $2/month was worth it for no commercials 🤷🏼‍♀️ Then I received a lecture re: “how does $2 not cover this?” 😂😂. Guys, I just can’t 

I'm sick of this streaming crap.  It's just another way to get more money from people as if we aren't forking over too much already for every little thing.  Restaurant Impossible has been on the air for over a decade and moving it now is just a way to try to get cable people to fork over the extra money.  I personally think they're shooting themselves in the foot by doing this because most cable subscribers are going to resist it or find ways around it.  I have a free trial for 6 months from Verizon so I'll be able to watch it for now but after that if I don't find a way around it I'll just tune out.

• Love 3

I won't pay for the extra streaming. They have lost me. In my opinion losing RI is no great loss.  As well of the other shows they move. Maybe I can drop a tier in my subscription to not have to pay for those shows??? Wouldn't that just chap their a$$? 

• Love 1

Well, the move is set. I looked thru the TV schedule for the week. Come Thursday, we will be getting a day long Beat Bobby Flay marathon. There are two things about Food network I can't stand. They are any shows starring Bobby Flay and Guy F. Guy irritates me down to the bone as does Bobby. Basically this means I will no longer be watching any Food Network programing.

I don't have a smart TV or tablet. I can't afford to invest in a new TV along with a router. I don't have a smart phone. Guess that makes me an old fuddy duddy. But I don't care. I am retired and my income is fixed. And please don't give the line about Roku. My TV does not have a HDMI port so Roku is not an option!!!!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Well, the move is set. I looked thru the TV schedule for the week. Come Thursday, we will be getting a day long Beat Bobby Flay marathon. There are two things about Food network I can't stand. They are any shows starring Bobby Flay and Guy F. Guy irritates me down to the bone as does Bobby. Basically this means I will no longer be watching any Food Network programing.

That's what gets me.  They'll move new episodes of RI to make room for more junk programming on regular FN.  It's like the cable networks are going to put themselves out of business by showing nothing but repeats of the same tired old shows and put all the new and different stuff on streaming.  Not a good formula for success if you ask me.

• Love 2