Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: The Long Night

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Leila6 said:

And on a book note, I guess the Prince That Was Promised prophecy is also total bullshit? God, what’s the point? Fuck it.

Well they do give enough info saying prophecies are unreliable and can bite you in the ass. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

Absolutely, but they couldn't solve weight issues.

I still have my 14 YO Panasonic plasma still looks great.

IKR. I have a 9 year old Panasonic plasma. Amazing tv!

• Love 3

That was the most intense thing I've ever seen.  Or not seen, some parts were so dark I didn't know what was going on.  And I have a plasma TV.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Beric Dondarrion yet, so I'll give him a RIP.

At one point I thought all three dragons were going to die, and I don't think I could have handled that.  I hope Rhaegal is okay.

I'm glad the Night King story is over.  I was afraid he was going to be staring down Bran and then it would say "Continued next week - same wight time, same wight channel", and I would have had to throw something through the TV.

From the previews, there doesn't appear to be any conflict between Jon and Dany, so that's good.  

Jon Snow really didn't do much in the battle, did he?  Kind of surprising.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Plus, you've got the fact that this ending really has jack to do with any of the Azor Ahai mythology.

Yep, that was certainly blown out of the water, wasn't it?  All that buildup (not to mention, the whole Robert's Rebellion thing) for naught.  

Why did the Lord of Light bring Jon back, then?

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Tippi said:

I am disappointed that all this Prince Who Was Promised stuff has apparently turned out to be nothing, at least so far is Jon is concerned.  All this build up that Jon was something special pretty much evaporated with how this played out.  

I think it says something about all the prophesy stuff.  It only has as much meaning or power as you choose to give it.  So there very well may be nothing to the valonqar thing (which I've never liked anyway) or Dany believing she's barren because another witch led her to think so.

• Love 8

So if Alys Karstark and Lyanna Mormont are dead... Are all the Northern leaders dead on the show? Like, who is left at this point?

Or are these two the only folks who showed up to help the Starks and the others have just holed up in their castles? Is Glover still alive?

• Love 5

Wowsers what an episode.

The whole entire 100% all-around Arya mini-arc was just incredible — I was on the edge of my seat — and I fully admit I completely missed “blue eyes” in her Fireside Chat with Mel. But jebebus for Arya’s whole storyline, including the callbacks to last ep’s meeting with the Hound on the battlements (“I fought for you”) and the Hound charging in and Arya being terrified (see 01.09) and the knife drop from her left hand to her right? That is a direct callback to some episode where someone killed someone else and I can’t remember what or who. Ahhhhh I thought it was all Arya perfection.

Oh Lyanna...I was like “Nooooooooooo!” I do wonder if the point is to kill off all the Houses? We’ve now lost Mormont, Tarley (but for Sam who I think is destined to be a Maester so Little Sam takes over?), Tyrell, Lannister (but for Cersei’s pregnancy 

Spoiler

which I think is not a pregnancy but a tumor

, Frey, Tully? is Edmure still alive? and Umber?

Edd, nooooooo. I knew it would be either Edd or Tormund and it looked to me like a great hairy red beard was wagging away on the rooftops at the end.

Pod????

Edited by Misplaced
Capitalization
  • Love 6

Kudos to the Hound! His love for Arya helped him find his courage. 

Farewell Beric. You served the Lord of Light well.

Melisandre, nothing you did made up for burning Shireen alive, but I hope you are finally at rest.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

Yep, that was certainly blown out of the water, wasn't it?  All that buildup (not to mention, the whole Robert's Rebellion thing) for naught.  

He brought him back so that he could stand there and scream at an undead dragon.

• LOL 21
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lillith said:

To me, Sophie Turner, Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau all have the abilitiy to rock the chemistry with multiple members of the cast. I know people rag on Sophie Turner's acting but I think she's rocking it this season and improved every season. 

Think Alfie Allen did as well. Really, most of the GoT casting was like winning a lottery. 

• Love 16
44 minutes ago, anamika said:

So if Alys Karstark and Lyanna Mormont are dead... Are all the Northern leaders dead on the show? Like, who is left at this point?

Or are these two the only folks who showed up to help the Starks and the others have just holed up in their castles? Is Glover still alive?

No Glover is dead. As Tormund said, anyone who didn't make it to Winterfell is dead. The Northern lords are basically decimated.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Clawdette said:

I turned off all the lights and I could see so much better.  Don't know why I haven't thought of that before.

I learned a couple of years ago to do that, mimicking a movie theater. Always much better. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

It's a shame Tyrion is a Lannister because if he wasn't, I think Sansa might give him a chance.  That and his loyalty to Dany.  I do notice that even when she is being petty and mean (Missandei was not here for it) Tyrion is never anything less then a Gentlemen to Sansa.

There was no meanness in her voice, just truth.

I think there is just too much that happened between the houses that will prevent  them to be together.

She may now appreciate Dany, but as long as Cersei lives, she's going to be wary of the Lannisters.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I am disappointed that all this Prince Who Was Promised stuff has apparently turned out to be nothing, at least so far is Jon is concerned. 

"Excuse me your Grace, but your translation is not quite correct.  That word has no gender in High Valyrian, so the correct translation is 'the Prince or Princess Who Was Promised shall bring the dawn".  As the "sister" (she doesn't know the truth) of a the (former) King in the North, Arya could be considered a princess.  

That's my head-canon fan-wank justification for bad writing.  D&D also gave themselves an out by having Melissandre say "prophecies are dangerous".  

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

So many thoughts I can't process them all now but I Love that all of my Kings Landing snakes (Varys, Tyrion and Sansa) survived to power grab another day.

I don't consider any of them snakes.

Sansa belongs to Winterfell, she's going to do what she feels needs to be done, to keep her family safe. 

What Vary's is up to I don't know.

Tyrion, I think we will see divided loyalty.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

I think the Lord of Light brought Jon back to wake everybody the fuck up about the threat posed by the NK.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
16 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

While Jon didn't do a lot in this episode, if he had stayed dead, there wouldn't be anyone to fight this fight- he wouldn't have gone to Dany or got the dragon glass... 

Though then they wouldn't have had a dead dragon to burn down the wall either... but it seems like that was inevitable once Bran got marked by the Night King.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Stella said:

More likely the calm before the storm.

Really? Why? How many times did she save his life this episode? She saved him when Viserion was attacking Rhaegal and she swooped in with Drogon and attacked, she saved him when he was surrounded by wights and  told him to go and save Bran, letting herself and Drogon get surrounded and she almost died , and I can continue. Unless of course you mean that suddenly Jon is gonna betray her and go mad prince and try to Kill her soon?  I mean, she was pretty freakin heroic this episode.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 13

The main characters' plot armour has only shone brighter and brighter the further we've gone into D&D's own material, and it was gleaming like Valyrian steel this week.  The high point being when the zombies get lose in the crypts and seemingly kill everyone but all the named characters who are all huddling together in a corner.

Edited by SeanC
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, maystone said:

I don't really understand why some posters feel that it was easy to kill the NK. Thousands of people died in that battle. Winterfell was destroyed. The plan to destroy him with dragon fire failed. There was nothing easy about trying to kill him. He was always going to be taken out by either dragon fire, dragon glass, or Valyrian steel. And it was one of those that finally did kill him. I'm thrilled that it was Arya who did it, too.

For myself anyway, I thought the Night's King and his Undead Army were going to be the endgame, as far as big bad that the whole of Westeros would have to try to defeat. And considering the NK wasn't taken out by the dragon fire, the most destructive force known, it is a bit shocking that a Valyrian steal knife took him out like nothing. He seemed built up to be much more powerful then the average White Walker. I just feel like something was missing, like how the hell did Arya make it to the tree in time, that I needed for this to make more sense.

• Love 5

Sansa - "I am not abandoning my people!"

The dead attack. She hides behind a crypt while her people are getting slaughtered, lol! The Warrior of Winterfell right there!

11 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

It was fitting that a Stark would save the North and Winterfell.

Ultimately LF was the true hero. He got the Vale army North in the first place for the Starks to take back WF and then he brought that dagger North and gave it to Bran.

LF saved the North, WF and the Westeros.

Edited by anamika
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 16
  • Love 4

I don't quite know what I was expecting but this episode was not it.

I kept waiting for something original, creative or exciting to happen and then it wouldn't. So many characters did one of two things: scream/swing sword or sit in the crypt. That's dull.

And then it just kind of ends. Arya comes screaming out of the night, mmmkay, and then stab and done.

If you're going to build up stuff for SEASONS and such, maybe don't do that if you aren't going to have a payoff. That was pathetic.  All that time spent 'stop worrying about Cersei, we're all gonna die' and then it was 'oh, well, onwards to King's Landing'. It was like a big shrug of an episode.

• Love 10

Which dragon had the wights crawling all over it?  I hope it survived.

Drogon had the wights crawling all over him and I think he died then turned into the new ice dragon that Jon was trying to fight. I think we were meant to assume all three dragons were killed until the very end when when one of them put his head down on Jorah. I believe it was Rhaegal. 

Spoiler

It looks like Rhaegal in the preview for next week.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

Now that I think about it, I'm not 100% sure I saw her alive at the end, though I thought I did. I just really want her and Greyworm to make it out of this. 

Also, what the hell was Bran's point in all of this? He seemed pretty useless, for all his powers.

She was in Next weeks preview.

1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

Drogon had the wights crawling all over him and I think he died then turned into the new ice dragon that Jon was trying to fight. I think we were meant to assume all three dragons were killed until the very end when when one of them put his head down on Jorah. I believe it was Rhaegal. 

Hide contents

I'm not sure about that. It looked to me as if Drogon got away after Dany fell off his back. He was shaking off wights as he took to the sky. I thought it was Viserion Jon was ready to kill.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Reveal spoiler

Not true. Viserion was the only ice dragon. Both Rhaegal and Drogon survived. That was Drogon who came back to comfort Dany. 

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I don't know what you mean by this, but Dany was damn lucky that Jon didn't kill her so I'll take that for the win.

Like Jon in BOTB; Sansa, and everyone else tells him to stick to his plan. It went out the window when Rickon was dragged out.

Jon says to her stick to the plan, she sees her soldiers being slaughtered plan out the window.

A no win situation, either way they die.

It's a Star Trek reference .

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Not true. Viserion was the only ice dragon. Both Rhaegal and Drogon survived. That was Drogon who came back to comfort Dany. 

So relieved to read this.  I wasn't sure.

So does Arya the Badass now pick up the moniker Kingslayer too?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Just watched the preview for next week. Both dragons are shown. Rhaegar flying above Targ ships and Drogon roaring next two Daeny in her white winter coat.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Not taking anything away from Emilia, but Maisie Williams should hopefully be clearing a spot on her shelves for one.  Too early though to speculate though, because Michelle Williams is killing it in Fosse/Verdon - not always sure how they split actresses in series or limited series.

In all honesty, I give it to Alfie Allen, or Iain Glenn.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Wait - didn't Arya give Sansa the Valerian steel blade before she went into the crypt?  If she did she was using a dragonglass blade on the NK then.   

Dragon glass.

12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

For what it's worth, the captions said "Viserion roars" when the ice dragon was attacking.  So I don't think Rhaegal was killed.  Besides which, when Viserion died, the Night King had to lay his hands on him to turn him into the ice dragon, which he didn't do here.

By the way, there were rumors that the old dead in the crypts of Winterfell were going to come alive.  Did that ever happen?  I don't think it did, but it was so dark I'm not sure.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, GrailKing said:

In all honesty, I give it to Alfie Allen, or Iain Glenn.

Right there with you. 

I'll also add John Bradley where Samwell learns of his Father & Brother's death.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Not taking anything away from Emilia, but Maisie Williams should hopefully be clearing a spot on her shelves for one.  Too early though to speculate though, because Michelle Williams is killing it in Fosse/Verdon - not always sure how they split actresses in series or limited series.

Fosse/Verdon is a limited series, with Michelle Williams as the lead.  Maisie is submitted for supporting actress in a drama series; Emilia is the lead.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, voiceover said:

One of the biggest takeaways for me was how Arya *earned that NK killing.

Not just some DCMCSaturdayMorningDisneyChannelNickelodeon-grafted-on heroism: See the grrrrrlll power!!

Because I'm bored of that shit.

Pain, loss, suffering, training, defeat, practice, defeat, improvement-training-clever-brilliant ARYA!! 

And still she looked terrified in the crypt.  Courage is not the absence of fear.

Meg Cabot; Princess Diaries.

24 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

It's a Star Trek reference .

I know it is from Star Trek. I just don't get how it applies here. Dany saved tons of lives including Jon's while he almost killed her several times. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, stagmania said:

It makes no sense that dragon fire doesn’t work on the Night King but a Valyrian steel dagger does. Valyrian steel is special because it’s forged with dragon fire!

And possibly Dragon Glass.

• Love 1
Just now, SimoneS said:

I know it is from Star Trek. I just don't get how it applies here. Dany saved tons of lives including Jon's while he almost killed her several times. 

No matter what decision she makes, the Dothraki's  were going to die. it's a no win either way

They both collided into each other because they could not see.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

Without Jon, you probably don’t get Winterfell back.  Without Jon, you don’t get Dany or the Wildlings on your side.  Nor the vast amount of dragon glass.    Without all that, the pieces don’t line up for Arya to slay the Night King.

• Love 16
18 minutes ago, rmontro said:

For what it's worth, the captions said "Viserion roars" when the ice dragon was attacking.  So I don't think Rhaegal was killed.  Besides which, when Viserion died, the Night King had to lay his hands on him to turn him into the ice dragon, which he didn't do here.

By the way, there were rumors that the old dead in the crypts of Winterfell were going to come alive.  Did that ever happen?  I don't think it did, but it was so dark I'm not sure.

Some dead, came through a wall or some tombs.

• Love 1

How can I forget!

Unsullied, you were fucking badass with those shields and spears! You stayed in formation and protected the fleeing Northerners, I mean, the retreat. If I am ever in a fictional war, you are my go to army!

• Love 11