Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: The Long Night

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Arya looks to prove her worth as a fighter.

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into any book talk you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

• Love 1

Really hard to find the words to do that justice. Arya...fucking AWESOME. 

Lyanna Mormont, Jorah, Theon...heroes. Dany's tears for Jorah killed me. 

The music is INCREDIBLE. 

Grey Worm and Missandei making it through brings me so much joy. 

Edited by SallyAlbright
  • Love 17

Wow.  Who lived?  Brienne?  Jamie?  Gendry? Grey Worm?  

Arya for the kill.  Those assassin lessons taught her well. I thought she was a goner for a moment.  But she was ordained to kill blue eyes.

That crypt was a death trap for sure.  

Goong to miss Lyanna  (but she got a giant!),  Jorah (saving Dani to the end), Theon (he did aight), Delores, and everyone 

and yes, so dark, it was hard to see everything.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 6

These women are badass. Danny, Arya, Lyanna, Brienne, even Mel, they all were ready to die.

Jorah broke me, he was dead, but kept going.

Lynanna taking on a wight giant, what a hero.

Theon, your redemption was heartbreaking.

What happened to Ghost? Is Rhagar the Dragon dead? Damn this mood lighting!

Arya should have been in the Godswood the whole time.

Edited by dbell1
  • Love 13

Syrio would be so proud, Arya.

Poor Dany. She lost the one person who had been with her from the beginning. Goodbye, Ser Jorah. I hope you knew she loved you.

Goodbye, Lyanna you magnificent badass.

Goodbye Theon. You finally made amends.

And now we've got three episodes left!

• Love 15

I was so tense during this episode I got a headache. 

Is the second dragon ok??  Can’t remember the name, was it Rhaegal?

Poor Drogon getting all those stabs 

Arya *****Stark! I thought she was going to die.. omg

Hard to see but easier with dim lights. 

AMAZING episode.  So many emotions. Was Jon really trying to kill the eight dragon ?

Where is Ghost !!

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 5

Theon and Bran. Beautiful.  Bran: You are a good man. thank you.

D&D in the behind the scenes interview:

" We thought it important  that whatever the plan was that it should not just work out. Because that would be kinda dull"

No wonder none of the character's plans ever work out.

Arya taking out the NK seems to be a GRRM thing - D&D knew about it three years ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

Sansa/Tyrion? Called it. That hand kiss was pretty swoony for a show that’s not that great at romance.

I’m surprised they went all Attack on Titan on Lyanna Mormont. Pretty badass death all things considered.

• LOL 4
  • Love 14

OMG. Not today Death.  Arya is the savior of everyone. No one will be doubting her skills now. Bye Jorah, you died doing what you wanted saving Dany. And she did love you, just the not way you wanted. Is Rhaegel dead. I only saw Drogo comforting his mother. 

Between this and Endgame I don't know if I'll be able to focus at work tomorrow. 

Cersei better watch out Dany is battle tested now and she has an Arya. 

• Love 16

HBO Executive:  Since you're only doing 6 episodes, you need to make them longer so the fans don't riot.  Last 4 have to be 80 minutes minimum

GoT  Director:  Easy, I'll just show the last 20 minutes in slow-mo with sonorous and slightly out of place piano BGM

Seriously, the slow motion at the end was killing me.  It wasn't dramatic, it was tedious.

9 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

So dark. Literally. I squinted my way through it. 

Yeah, i know it saves them a lot of time doing this at night (don't have to worry about angle of the sun and cloud continuity) but I frequently couldn't tell what was going on.

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 13

Is it that I’m most worried about Rhaegal and Ghost? Did they make it? I think Rhaegal was just injured. I suspected all along that Arya would be the hero. And it was very realistic to have her be; the show has been setting it up for seasons with the focus on her training and it paid off. 

• Love 10

So there was no point to Jon’s storyline at all was there?  I’m shaking with rage tbh.  

Im sad for Dany because Jorah and also Theon.  

I can’t even be happy about Arya because that seemed to come out of nowhere.  

• Love 11

Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit

my brain isn't working !!!!!!!

ARYA !!!!!!

PS did Jaime die!?

• Love 3

Turning off the room lights worked perfectly for me. I could see every gorgeous second.without making any adjustments to my TV beforehand.

That first 10 minutes of quiet, high-tension, beautifully shot episode? Some of the most perfect TV I've ever seen. I wanted to VOMIT I was so tense.

Did Ghost die? Someone mentioned it but I don't remember seeing him after the initial line up. 

• Love 14

This episode broke the internet. OMG. I feel weak. I DID NOT see that end coming! This was so much better done than I expected. Really, really glad the NK/white walkers and wights are gone, and now I can get on to worrying about the rest of the plot. About which I am actually quite nervous, to be honest.  

Character deaths as expected. I thought Davos might die, glad he survived. Lyanna killed a giant! I admit the most emotional death for me was Jorah. 

This has to be one of the best TV episodes I've seen.

• Love 12

I was gutted for Dany as she lost Sir Jorah. I don't care if she's "supposed" to love Jon. To me Dany's feelings for Sir Jorah was real love. Not in the way Jorah wanted but I don;t think she cried that much when Khal Drogo died.

• Love 13

I like Arya. I really do. A lot. And given her certain skill set, I can believe she could kill NK. But, I don’t know, her being the one to kill NK feels a bit hollow.

I am definitely riding the Arya train and am drinking her assassin killing juice, but just saying.

• Love 16

Eight years of buildup for one battle.  What we could see of it was a beautifully shot epic-looking battle, but still one battle and the big huge threat of all time is gone.  I kind of hate that this validated Cersei leaving them all to fend for themselves because now she's suddenly looking like the smartest person in the room.

Not surprised that no main characters died.  This far in, that is about the most unexpected trope-breaking thing the show had left it could do.

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

I was so tense during this episode I got a headache. 

Yes! My neck hurts so mcuh from how I was tensed up! I didn't even realize it until the scene where Arya gets him.

I feel really stupid now, not picking up on that convo with Melisandre. "Blue eyes" and then "What do we say to Death?" "Not today."

• Love 10

Yeah, who gets to clean up that big ol' mess?

All the women warriors for the win.

I also had to practically sit on top of my TV with the lights off to try and follow what was going on in the dark. I was glad that some of the fighters got to use fiery swords to cast light on some of the scenes.

Great episode. I guess we find out next week the total death toll? RIP to the characters we did lose this episode though.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, anamika said:

Arya taking out the NK seems to be a GRRM thing - D&D knew about it three years ago.

That was something that I was expecting considering the huge influence that Tolkien and Lord of the Rings have on both GRRM and D&D.  It's a lovely and fitting parallel to Eowyn taking out the Nazgul Witch King with an assist from Merry. 

• Love 20

So Dany has pretty much lost her close confidante in Jorah and all her Dothraki. Thankfully Missandei and GW seems to have made it.

I thought Ghost was dead. Rhaegal seems to have made it from the promo for next week.

From the preview for next week, it looks like the North is supporting her campaign? I can see Yohn Royce cheering her. They seem to have appreciated her efforts.

• Love 7

They should just name this episode Brutal As All Fucking Get Out...because that's what it was.  I actually started taking notes at the beginning of the episode and got maybe only half a page done because of the intensity.   

All those Dothraki and Unsullied....dead dead dead.  As horrified as I was I didn't cry until the end because of Jorah.   That man went thru seven hells and back for Dany, and when she broke down so did I.  All hail Iain Glen, I have loved his acting for years but wow, this series...he was magnificent.  

Not today Death...not today.  Thank the old Gods and the New for this forum, as we all need each other for grief counseling.

• Love 19

I'm so confused. I thought Rhaegal killed the ice dragon but died in the battle but then it turned out he was just injured? And he was the one who put his head down on Jorah's body at the end? I thought Drogon was killed by the wights then turned into another ice dragon so I think Rhaegal is the only dragon that survived. 

Epic.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I like Arya. I really do. A lot. And given her certain skill set, I can believe she could kill NK. But, I don’t know, her being the one to kill NK feels a bit hollow.

I am definitely riding the Arya train and am drinking her assassin killing juice, but just saying.

I thought I would be the only that felt that way and I might be a bit more critical. I think that Arya is a Mary Sue in a lot of ways and I kind felt that the Night King himself should have been a bit harder to kill. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Is it that I’m most worried about Rhaegal and Ghost? Did they make it? I think Rhaegal was just injured. I suspected all along that Arya would be the hero. And it was very realistic to have her be; the show has been setting it up for seasons with the focus on her training and it paid off. 

I didn't see a wight Ghost.

• Love 4

The fact that people couldn't see the episode is why plasma should have won over the led in the tv wars.

I have a plasma TV and I couldn't see half of what was going on. I think it probably would have looked great on a big movie screen but on TV it was just too dark.

• Love 6