Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E20: Mavens Creamery, Spare, Swoveralls, Somnifix

• Start Topic

I also didn’t understand the Spare thing and why it was any different than an ATM. The guy was confusing me with what the fees were. I thought he said it was a $3 fee, but then at the end he was talking about it only being a 3 percent fee. That’s a huge difference!! I’ve never used an ATM that wasn’t through my bank so I’ve never paid fees but I think I’ve seen them listed as something like $3.75? So if he’s actually only charging 3 percent, that’s a big deal!

And I didn’t get the whole “unbanked” thing either. So if you don’t have enough money to open a bank account, how are you supposed to use Spare in the first place, when you need to connect a bank account to use it?

Swoveralls were stupid. Does anyone who is not either a toddler or a farmer even wear overalls?

• Love 5

This was kind of a jacked up episode.  I love me some Mark Cuban ( I live in Dallas, so I have to.  It's the law😁) but I didn't get the ATM alternative either.  It didn't make sense to me and I'm not clear on what Cuban saw.  

Cuban also liked the mouth breather thingy, but only after there was a mention of a sports application.  It didn't really make sense either.  I was breathing along and I couldn't figure it out.   If you jack with my nose or my mouth when I'm trying to sleep, I will cut you.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 4/22/2019 at 12:38 AM, Cotypubby said:

I also didn’t understand the Spare thing and why it was any different than an ATM. The guy was confusing me with what the fees were. I thought he said it was a $3 fee, but then at the end he was talking about it only being a 3 percent fee. That’s a huge difference!! I’ve never used an ATM that wasn’t through my bank so I’ve never paid fees but I think I’ve seen them listed as something like $3.75? So if he’s actually only charging 3 percent, that’s a big deal!

From what he said, I think the fee is always a flat $3.  Since the max you can withdraw is $100, that's where the 3% language came from.  It was confusing, but I think when he and Kevin were talking about the different fees between Spare and normal ATMs, they started talking in "percent" language and that just wound up sticking.  But yeah, 3% would be great for the consumer if it applied to all small transactions, however the partner businesses would make no money.

Edited by IPS Temp Admin

I guess since online banking, without physical locations or ATMs is growing, then the Spare method could work for those customers.    Mark is so big in online and virtual, then I bet he'll grow this business if anyone can.

Somintix (spelling?) might be a great alternative to CPAPs or other breathing devices.   I don't understand the sports application.  Mark will be a good partner.

The ice cream sandwiches, with Macarons looked good, and they now offer online ordering with free delivery, for $99.99 for 12 or so.     Way too expensive for my taste, but Barbara is the perfect person to help them with their business growth.     

The Swoveralls totally missed the point.    Many people who wear overalls are working, so having tight legs like the Swoveralls, like skinny jeans will only appeal to the fashion trendy people, and is a fad.      He didn't deserve a deal.    

• Love 1

I think the way Spare works is this:  When you need some cash, you contact Spare via cell phone app and tell them you want, say, $100.  Spare tells you which location is nearest to you (participating retailers, like the local liquor store, convenience store, coffee shop, etc.).  You go to that location, the person at the register confirms with Spare that you are approved for $100, and they give you the $100 from the register.  Spare then later reimburses the store the $100 plus their share of the fee (1/3 of total, or $1).  Spare is the clearing house between customer and retailer (who also hopes to get some of that $100 back from purchases you make in their store "as long as you're there").

I liked the ice cream sandwich company and the owners, and I think Barbara is the perfect partner for them.  I did notice, though, that the sisters went into the tank estimating their company to be worth $4 million ($400,000 for 10% of the company).  Barbara offered them $200,000 cash plus a $200,000 line of credit for 20%, (valuation of $800,000).  That's a big difference! Barbara's valuation was exactly what Kevin estimated it was, too, just prior to his going out.

It seems like Lori's been reluctant to invest recently.  Her reason's often sound dubious, too ("It's a little early for me", "I'm not passionate about the product","I can't figure out how to sell this on QVC", etc.).  Maybe she's too busy counting her money!  I don't remember how much of Bantam's Bagels she owned, but selling the company for $34 million certainly feathered her nest pretty well!

Edited by Gregg247
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

This was kind of a jacked up episode.  I love me some Mark Cuban ( I live in Dallas, so I have to.  It's the law😁) but I didn't get the ATM alternative either.  It didn't make sense to me and I'm not clear on what Cuban saw.  

Sometimes, what Mark invests in is not the actual product itself, but the potential application on a larger scale. He probably saw something on the Spare App that he could potentially use later banking, credit cards, retail merchant payment processing, etc. With Mark, it's never just about the app itself.

Kind of like how he invested in that cellphone panoramic picture taking app that he later took to a car sales/distribution company that lets customers view a 360 view of a car online, which I'm sure was a much more profitable venture for him than just the picture taking app itself.

I didn't catch where Maven's Creamery is from, but IF they're from Los Angeles and IF they're the ones that have been around some restaurants here in Koreatown, etc., then I have tasted them and all I can say is, that treat is the bomb! It's so good, I'm happy they got a deal, and happier that they got Barbara out of all the sharks. Barbara seems to be the best partner for food entrepreneurs. 

• Love 3

I didn't understand the Spare thing at all. I work in a grocery store and our customers can get fee-free cash back up to $200 without even making a purchase.

I also don't get the mouth breather thing. I can't help but feel like the guy has hyped up what is essentially surgical tape cut in a specific shape. I'm mildly allergic to bandage adhesive, so I can't imagine how angry my lip skin would be at me if I taped it up every night.

I have mild sleep apnea, but I can't/won't use my CPAP machine. I just can't sleep with a hose in bed and a lot of restrictive stuff on my head and face. But I have to put on lip balm at night, so I'm out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I don't understand the Spare thing.  I get it for people who have online banking and such but how do people without banking accounts use the app?  I mean, no one would give someone a cash advance if they had no banking account, am I wrong?  It just seems overly complex.  Not to mention that there are ATMs everywhere and a fee is a fee (most ATMs around here charge $3.50, but my bank refunds a certain of fees every month.)

Any insite would be great.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Cuban also liked the mouth breather thingy, but only after there was a mention of a sports application.  It didn't really make sense either.  I was breathing along and I couldn't figure it out.   

Just ordered the SomniFix strips from Amazon...they'll be here tomorrow!  I noticed that his competitors are vertical strips, which matches what he answered when Mark asked about competitor knock-offs. 

I don't understand the sports thing either.  What the guy said, was that they are working on an adhesive that does not dislodge when it meets liquid, and that breathing properly is incredible for improving sports performance.  Baffling.  Clearly you aren't going to use this during sports, because you need to be taking in oxygen fully from your nose and mouth.  So if it's not for use during sports, then it's not for sports, and it's just tangential in that sleeping better will help you perform sports better.  The only 'adhesive' part I can figure out, is if you sweat or drool while you sleep. 

5 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I think the way Spare works is this:  When you need some cash, you contact Spare via cell phone app and tell them you want, say, $100.  Spare tells you which location is nearest to you (participating retailers, like the local liquor store, convenience store, coffee shop, etc.).  You go to that location, the person at the register confirms with Spare that you are approved for $100, and they give you the $100 from the register.  Spare then later reimburses the store the $100 plus their share of the fee (1/3 of total, or $1).  Spare is the clearing house between customer and retailer (who also hopes to get some of that $100 back from purchases you make in their store "as long as you're there").

17 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

And I didn’t get the whole “unbanked” thing either. So if you don’t have enough money to open a bank account, how are you supposed to use Spare in the first place, when you need to connect a bank account to use it?

Yes, the explanation is how it physically works  But the underpinning is your bank, so I'm in agreement about not understanding how the 'unbanked' can use it.  

• Love 1

This Spare thing could be potentially DANGEROUS to the merchants.  Robbers look up who participates and robs them of the extra cash they keep on hand for this app. If they're catering to the "underbanked"

Overalls were cool for 5 minutes when the "Come On, Eileen" guy wore them . . . or even back with Junior Samples (BR-549).  Floppy overalls out in public will look sloppy and downright scary.  If you want to lounge at home in them, why spend $100 -- just wear old clothes FOR FREE!  And get off my lawn !!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

The last time I wore overalls, I borrowed my college freshman-year roommate's pair to wear to see a local band in 1993 or 1994. She usually wore her overalls with her Doc Martens. She had great '90s style.

It seems to me that overalls made with sweatshirt material would get saggy in the ass very quickly.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The last time I wore overalls, I borrowed my college freshman-year roommate's pair to wear to see a local band in 1993 or 1994. She usually wore her overalls with her Doc Martens. She had great '90s style.

It seems to me that overalls made with sweatshirt material would get saggy in the ass very quickly.

Saggy ass is the new crop top!

• LOL 2

Did the Sharks ask anything about the Swoveralls being insanely easy to rip-off?  I think that it was discussed for one of the pitches, and they said something about first to market, but I don't remember if it was for the Swoveralls.  At any rate, I don't see how even first to market would be enough, because it seems like something quite easy for any national brand to swoop in and do, and then sales would drop precipitously, and existing inventory, materials, machinery, etc. would be a gigantic cash drain. 

I thought it was strange that Mark's interest in Somnifix was specifically about a sports application in that it seems like a product that REALLY wouldn't work for sports, even if they can figure out the adhesive/sweat issue.  For most team sports, the players need to be able to talk to each other-- good luck doing that when your mouth is taped shut. Plus, a player would have to take it off every time he/she needs to drink something, which is constant throughout most games. So you'd be going through dozens of those strips per player per game. This is why those Breathe Right strips make way more sense for sports-- you can keep your nasal passages open for breathing without interrupting your ability to use your mouth.

Somnifix is one of the stupidest things I've seen on the show in a long time. Getting people to use things that don't restrict their mouth is hard enough, even when they're aware of health issues and/or they are greatly annoying a partner. Asking someone to wear something on their mouth is a huge ask. I don't get how it would be useful for sports in particular. I guess Mark wants to market it for/with athletes, saying that it will lead to better sleep and therefore better performance. Anyhow, it was weird.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:51 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Swoveralls totally missed the point.    Many people who wear overalls are working, so having tight legs like the Swoveralls, like skinny jeans will only appeal to the fashion trendy people, and is a fad.      He didn't deserve a deal.    

Clothes don't really need to have a point though, besides (maybe) covering you up. A lot of fashion is just a way to express oneself. He's not targeting people who work with overalls. He's trying to figure out what the next big thing will be. Men and women have been wearing tight-fitting clothing in recent years, so he probably though these overalls would be a good idea. They're not, but I don't see it as any different compared to a lot of other fashion trends.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I don't need overalls made with sweatshirt material for that to happen...

😜

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The macaron ice cream sandwhich is a rip off of an already well established company. Go to any tea and boba store and you'll see the exact same icebox setup. I think they sell for $5 each. 

The ATM wasn't a good deal to the consumer IMO. I bank online only, USAA, and get refunded any ATM fees up to $15 a month. I can use any ATM I want and there is a $500 day limit. I also only take out cash maybe once a year. Cash is a last resort.

Hated the overalls and hated the name even more.

The mouth breather thing was just creepy.

• Love 3

The mouth tape would be used to force the athlete to only breathe through their nose during workouts, for some reason I don't understand that's supposed to be useful. 

The worst thing about the Swoveralls is that with the skinny legs, when your butt starts sagging, it will look like you have a fully loaded, poopy diaper on.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:51 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Somintix (spelling?) might be a great alternative to CPAPs or other breathing devices.   I don't understand the sports application.  Mark will be a good partner.    

CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) puts pressure on your airway to hold it open while you are lying flat. You can get a full face mask if you are a mouth breather. This tape thing does nothing to maintain your airway. It just restricts your ability to breath through your mouth. There are chin straps that do the same thing and aren't disposal, so you only have to buy it once. It looked down-right dangerous to me. I don't know how they got a sleep center to endorse it.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:30 PM, Destiny74 said:

Last time I remember overalls being cool was when 90210 was new and The Fresh Prince was rapping with DJ Jazzy Jeff.

My father was a depression-era baby. He would never let me wear overalls because his opinion was they were worn only by the poorest of the poor. He wanted people to know he could afford to buy decent clothes for his family.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, Gregg247 said:

I just can't see cash-only businesses being willing to let customers wipe out their cash draw more than once or twice a day. Any place else, you should be able to use a pre-loaded debit card that isn't affiliated with a bank.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:51 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The ice cream sandwiches, with Macarons looked good, and they now offer online ordering with free delivery, for $99.99 for 12 or so.     Way too expensive for my taste, but Barbara is the perfect person to help them with their business growth.         

I hated how the sob story came out again. Shark: "How did you come up with this idea?" Bait: "My father was a Vietnamese boat-person. Let me launch into his story (complete with tears) that has absolutely nothing to do with ice cream and macaroons."  She should have added, "This is what my father dreamed of while he was waiting to be rescued. It was all that got him through it."

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

My father was a depression-era baby. He would never let me wear overalls because his opinion was they were worn only by the poorest of the poor. He wanted people to know he could afford to buy decent clothes for his family.

My mom wasn't depression era but she had the same mindset.  And jeans with holes, while cool when I was a teenager, was a no no.

I'd like to try a macaron ice cream sandwich. That is all I really have to say about that one.  

Didn't understand Spare and didn't care enough to bother trying to understand it.  

Swoverals, if they catch on, are going to be made by someone else who will charge a lot less for them.  I don't understand how it costs him $30 to make a pair.  You can buy a sweatshirt and a pair of sweatpants at Walmart for about 5 bucks each.  But I don't see them catching on. When the model put his hands in the pockets, it was not flattering.    

I am a little jealous of the Somnifix guy because he, apparently, has never had blocked up sinuses.  In the beginning, he list various thing that mouth breathing causes, one of which  was sinus congestion.   But he got that backwards - sinus congestion causes mouth breathing.  If my sinuses are congested, taping my mouth shut might kill me.  Plus, I can snore with my mouth closed - though only on the inhale (I was awake when I tried this, but I don't think that being asleep would change anything).  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, needschocolate said:

But he got that backwards - sinus congestion causes mouth breathing.  If my sinuses are congested, taping my mouth shut might kill me. 

I was thinking the same thing! How the heck would I breath if I'm completely congested?

• Love 3
On 4/24/2019 at 12:44 PM, eel21788 said:

I just can't see cash-only businesses being willing to let customers wipe out their cash draw more than once or twice a day. Any place else, you should be able to use a pre-loaded debit card that isn't affiliated with a bank.

I agree.  And there are also banks that will refund you the $ charged by the different ATM.  I can go to any ATM, anywhere, accept the $3.50 service charge and then my bank refunds that service charge.

ATMs are all over the place.  You could find an ATM easier than finding a place that works with Spare.  And you're still being charged a fee anyway, right?  So unless that app works with every retailer, it sounds easier to find an ATM and pay a slightly higher fee.

The 'Swoveralls" had the worst name ever.  And they were ugly.  Why did Mr. Wonderful not understand how to go No. 2 in them.  Did he not see there's the removable straps at the top like every overall has?  I guess I could see them being more comfortable for little ones but they seemed expensive for basically sweats.  

The mouth thing was absolutely stupid.  I could only see that working for people that just snore and not really for sleep apnea.  And snoring is bad enough but if my man and I are going to bed and he were to put on one of those, it would take all the fucking romance out of going to bed!

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, Destiny74 said:

My mom wasn't depression era but she had the same mindset.  And jeans with holes, while cool when I was a teenager, was a no no.

I agree with your mother. The only reason to wear jeans with holes in them is because you wore them out and you don't have money to buy new ones. People who wear them because they think they're making some kind of fashion statement make very little sense to me.

• Love 2
On 4/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Just ordered the SomniFix strips from Amazon...they'll be here tomorrow! 

Quoting myself because I have tried the SomniFix strips, and thought I'd also report on the other anti-snoring products I tried:

The nose strips and vents did nothing for me because they just address airway enhancement, and that is not the source of my snoring problem.

The chin straps force your mouth shut from under the chin, with straps along your face and behind/on top of your head  They are very uncomfortable, make you hot, and keep your mouth completely closed with a conscious feeling of teeth against each other.

I tried one mandibular advancement device, which goes all the way in your mouth, sort of like a plastic set of false teeth  The problem I had is that it is hinged, so when it's in your mouth, it forces your mouth wide open  The company has recommendations to supposedly make it not so hinge-y, but they didn't work for me at all..

I tried several tongue stabilizer devices  These are sort of like pacifiers, but what you are doing is sticking your tongue into the protrusion to create suction -- too much and it is too uncomfortable and intrusive to sleep, too little and the device falls off of your tongue in your mouth or out of your mouth completely  The only one that worked for me was Good Morning's Snore Solution . But multiple times per night I would need to readjust it because it would fall out of place in my mouth.

The SomniFix was a great success!!!  It looks sort of like a giant Crest White Strip, and you just close your lips and stick it on  You can make it as adjustable as you want in terms of how tightly closed your lips are or not when you put it on.  There is a little slit for a breathing vent, so even though it keeps your mouth closed, your lips are still able to part if you want, so you can breathe through your mouth, but that introduces more snoring risk.  It is not intrusive at all, and you cannot even feel its presence while you sleep. 

I didn't tell my husband I was trying it, and he noticed an immediate difference the first night -- it completely stopped the snoring sound, and whether a heavy breathing sound still comes through or not, seems to depend on how well closed your lips are.  For removal, the SomniFix guy had said you can just open your mouth, but I had to use my hands, and also when I tried to remove it by just opening my mouth, it made it pull more against my skin as it struggled against the adhesive.  The strip didn't leave a mark the next day but the area was just the tiniest bit sensitive for about an hour afterward.

Interestingly, when I went to order it on Amazon, I saw other strip-like products that differed from SomniFix, but I think I'll try them anyway to be sure I find the best one for me.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:00 PM, needschocolate said:

Plus, I can snore with my mouth closed - though only on the inhale (I was awake when I tried this, but I don't think that being asleep would change anything).  

Yes, I can also snore while awake with my mouth closed, but it is not something that my body's breathing is trying to do on its own -- I have to make myself do it.  So when I am asleep and have my mouth closed, my body's breathing function does not activate that snoring action, the way it does when my mouth is open and the breathing is occurring there. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

The ice cream thing looked very tasty, and their deal was probably fair.  Barbara will probably be good for them.

The Swoveralls are crazy expensive and not flattering, but they would be excellent for babies.  Not small children, because overalls and toilet training/going by yourself do not mix well at all.  Frankly, I think that if the price point were much, much less, that they should be marketed as baby wear with some associated items made with the same soft fabric.  But in their current incarnation - dumb.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:42 PM, eel21788 said:

I agree with your mother. The only reason to wear jeans with holes in them is because you wore them out and you don't have money to buy new ones. People who wear them because they think they're making some kind of fashion statement make very little sense to me.

I wish I could like this comment more than once.

I don't see these small merchants wanting to pony up $100 of cash from the till for Spare, but he seems to have some who are willing to, so...

Honestly, the snoring thing would scare me that I would suffocate during the night.  I would not be able to get past that even if it were not medically possible, the idea of taping my mouth shut - just... no.