Type keyword(s) to search

Say Something Nice about Your Least Favorite Actor

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Spanglish is so underrated. I cried at that movie at the end. I've liked Adam Sandler in several movies. He's a better dramatic actor than a lot of so called mainstream dramatic actors. His comedy is mostly cringeworthy, though.  

I used to like Adam Sandler a lot. But in the past 5-7 years, his movies have become largely offensive, sometimes flat-out racist, and just not funny. 

• Love 8
(edited)
9 hours ago, topanga said:

I used to like Adam Sandler a lot. But in the past 5-7 years, his movies have become largely offensive, sometimes flat-out racist, and just not funny. 

Most of them have always been offensive.  I think it's why he used to be so wildly popular with junior high school boys LOL. 

Edited by IWantCandy71
(edited)

I couldn't say I have a definitive least favourite, so I'll try a shotgun approach of people who will actively put me off wanting to see a movie:

Drew Barrymore was cute when she was a little kid.

Jim Carrey wasn't terrible as the Riddler, and he has decent political views.

Mark Wahlberg isn't as boring as his brother. Not quite.

Shia LaBeouf didn't ruin Fury.

Jennifer Lawrence seems like she'd be okay to hang out with, in small doses.

Adam Sandler had a funny and self-deprecating cameo on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Woody Allen has written some funny lines.

I think Tom Cruise is actually really good at what he does, and has undeniable star quality.

John Wayne... ah, I got nothing.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Mark Wahlberg isn't as boring as his brother. Not quite.

Piggy-backing on that.  His Calvin Klein ads helped me figure some stuff out when I was 14.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Woody Allen had wrote some funny lines.

Can't help but agree. As soon as Woody Allen's been dead for a few years, I will be able to watch Annie Hall and Love and Death again with a little less guilt.

Apparently, Will Ferrell is (say it with me now) really nice. I believe it.

John Wayne was really good in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Marilyn Monroe was pretty great in her teeny tiny part in All About Eve.

Al Pacino was handsome and interesting in his youth. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Woody Allen makes some decent movies when he's not in them.

I have to admit I liked Purple Rose of Cairo a great deal. Miss Farrow's performance hit it out of the ballpark (and it DID capture what so many folks trying to survive the Depression adored about going to escapist movies- the onscreen fantasy of perfect lives gave them strength to endure their miserable ones). However; as long as Mr. Allen lives (and could possibly get even a penny of residuals from it), I won't be seeing it again! 

• Love 1

Errol Flynn's been dead for 60 years, which is why I'm still able to enjoy The Adventures of Robin Hood. Thank you for shuffling off this mortal coil early, Mr. Flynn, you loathsome garbage heap of a human being!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 7:29 AM, starri said:

Piggy-backing on that.  His Calvin Klein ads helped me figure some stuff out when I was 14.

For me, it was his scene in Boogie Nights with the once-seriously hot Channon Roe, a male ingenue from the 90's that just never quite hit leading man status. (Although as a result I used to have fantasies about homophobic jocks, so...probably not the best thing?)

I do wonder a lot what Mark Wahlberg would have done with Silver Linings Playbook, which he was supposed to star in. Bradley Cooper did amazingly, mind you, but I still wonder what Mark might have done with it, given his own history with violent outbursts and such.

Tom Cruise is indeed good at what he does. There's a reason why he can still open a movie internationally.

Bella Thorne has really pretty hair.

Jennifer Lopez is very pretty and she works her tail off, and I generally enjoy her movie roles. The fact that she's a sexpot who is way past the Hollywood mandated expiration date but has kept herself in the spotlight for 20 years past her mega-star status days is pretty impressive.

She's also gotten really, really good work. It probably helps that she stuck to mystic tanning when she was in her 20's and early 30's instead of the tanning bed.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, RedMal said:

Christian Bale is dedicated about his work

If only were he so dedicated to not inflict violence on his own mother and sister! 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

If only were he so dedicated to not inflict violence on his own mother and sister! 

Or the Director of Photography, apparently.

He's not an actor, but I did really enjoy David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbook.

Just discovered this and I want to play!

Mark Wahlberg can be a good actor if he has a great director to guide him like Martin Scorsese (The Departed), Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights), or even Adam McKay (The Other Guys.)  Now, if he'd only quit appearing in those Transformer slogs or doing his bizarre wish fulfillment fantasies with Peter Berg, where he stars in "based off of true story" events, and gets to be the big damn hero (did you know Marky Mark single-handily took town the terrorists who bombed the Boston Marathon?  According to Patriots' Day he did!)

Emma Watson really does seem intelligent and has done great humanitarian/political work.  Still think she's kind of an one-note actress, whose riding the nostalgia wave she got for playing Hermione Granger (in comparison, Daniel Radcliffe seems to be actually trying new things and taking risks, which is why I think he's the best out of the Harry Potter gang.)

Liam Hemsworth makes me love and appreciate Chris even more!  At least his career is faring better than old Larry Hemsworth!

Bruce Willis will always have Die Hard and The Sixth Sense, and him pretty much checking out and coasting for the last fifteen years of his career won't change that.

I've heard Ashton Kutcher does great work with human rights and so forth, which certainly makes up for his less than stellar film work.  Plus, he's married to Mila Kunis and seems to have a healthy relationship with his ex, Demi Moore.  Respect, Kelso!

Jaden Smith might be weird as hell and not a very good actor, but I haven't heard anything about him ever being in any real legal trouble, so that puts him on better footing than a lot of child actors.

Amber Heard was good as Mera on Aquaman, even though I usually find her to be a bland and boring actress.

Might think of some more later! 

• Love 4

Jake Gyllenhall has the ability to make Tom Holland look even cuter in the Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer. Didn’t think that was possible, actually. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, amaranta said:

Jared Leto can look pretty at times. A little dead behind the eyes, as if he finally gave in and expired from boredom, but still pretty.

Jared Leto has a look which he could be mistaken for a deep thinker and a thoughtful person- as long as he doesn't actually open his mouth to shatter said illusion.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, starri said:

Vin Diesel is really good at playing a tree.

21 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

So are Sam Worthington and his son Jai Courtney.

Can't forget Scott Eastwood. It's a lovely forest. It's always arbor day.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

While I can't say I like either of them as performers or people, I have to say that A League of Their Own definitely showcased both Madonna's and Rosie O'Donnell's IMO most dimensional and likable performances of their careers!

• Love 9
On 5/6/2019 at 2:16 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Jennifer Lopez is very pretty and she works her tail off, and I generally enjoy her movie roles. The fact that she's a sexpot who is way past the Hollywood mandated expiration date but has kept herself in the spotlight for 20 years past her mega-star status days is pretty impressive.

She's also gotten really, really good work. It probably helps that she stuck to mystic tanning when she was in her 20's and early 30's instead of the tanning bed.

I agree with everything you’ve said. But that’s quite a bit of praise. Are you sure you can’t stand J Lo?

Catherine Zeta-Jones—I don’t hate her, but her acting does nothing for me. I did, however, love her performance in Entrapment. And her on-screen chemistry with Sean Connery. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I mean, I think she's a humorless bitch who takes herself way too seriously given that she's a mediocre singer and an actress that's only as good as the project she's in, but yeah.

I have similar feelings about Gwyneth Paltrow. When she's in her comfort zone and in a good movie, she can act her skinny macrobiotic butt off. I also think it's kind of cool that she really is past caring what people think about her because she can rely on the family money and she doesn't have to play sweet ingenue anymore.

• Love 3
On 5/8/2019 at 11:07 AM, Blergh said:

While I can't say I like either of them as performers or people, I have to say that A League of Their Own definitely showcased both Madonna's and Rosie O'Donnell's IMO most dimensional and likable performances of their careers!

That's absolutely the truth, in my book!  (whispering) (But I love Madonna)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

John Wayne was really good in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

He also deserved an Oscar for The Searchers.  His character wasn't an admirable person, but the performance was terrific.  (NB: I don't dislike John Wayne as much as I did when I was growing up and was forced to watch his movies all the time because my mother loved them, but he's still not my favorite.)

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, starri said:

Vin Diesel is really good at playing a tree.

He wasn't terrible in The Last Witch Hunter either.

• Love 1
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, amaranta said:

Jared Leto can look pretty at times. A little dead behind the eyes, as if he finally gave in and expired from boredom, but still pretty.

One of his band's songs is pretty good.

• Love 2
On 5/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, bettername2come said:

Because I used it in random conversation today: I liked Kristen Stewart in Panic Room.

And let me add that I wish K Stew all the best in fixing her sinus problems. Her need to keep her mouth open in order to breathe must be frustrating to live with. 

• LOL 11

OK, he's somewhat obscure nowadays (wonder why- LOL). However; with the death of his father Sammy mentioned elsewhere, it seems fitting at this time   to say that AFAIC, the best thing that can be said for Pauly Shore is that onscreen and in Real Life he seems to be an annoying rather than an actually toxic individual. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Ray Romano can, on occasion, be mildly amusing. Maybe not witty, or gut-bustingly hilarious, but amusing. Sometimes that's enough.

And I guess he seems nice. There, that's all he's getting from me.

Agree. However; on an admittedly shallow note, Mr. Romano has an unexpectedly impressive physique for someone in his early 60's who did not choose to be an action star and he is more physically attractive than Pauly Shore EVER has been! 

Edited by Blergh
cases
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

OK, he's somewhat obscure nowadays (wonder why- LOL). However; with the death of his father Sammy mentioned elsewhere, it seems fitting at this time   to say that AFAIC, the best thing that can be said for Pauly Shore is that onscreen and in Real Life he seems to be an annoying rather than an actually toxic individual. 

I'll go so far as to say that I really liked him in Son in Law

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Pauly Shore has not been on my radar in a long, long, long time, and if he's trying to make a comeback, I'm not aware of it. 

So that's one nice thing I can say about him, I guess. :)

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I'll go so far as to say that I really liked him in Son in Law

That's the only move I really liked him in too. He was okay in some movies and too annoying in others. But he was great. He really tried hard to impress the family and they put him through a lot of crap. He never once stopped and decided he had enough of that crap and outed Becca's lie. He got mad at her only once and that was after the crap she gave him when he was set up to cheat on her. He was pretty optimistic guy. I hated Becca's perv brother Zach. He was so gross. He perv on his own sister.  

• Love 2

Angelina Jolie has done a lot of good humanitarian work.

Johnny Depp was fantastic in Ed Wood.

Julia Roberts has undeniable star quality, and I think she is still very pretty.

Harrison Ford is Han Solo, and Indiana Jones.  That's pretty damn cool.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Fiver said:

True- and he actually gave those iconic characters phenomenal personalities despite the fact that he seems to have the personality of a turnip as per  interviews! 

• LOL 5
34 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Ben Foster is REALLY good at playing assholes.

A little too good.

There are a surprising number of actors I don't like--but I'm trying to stay positive here!

I actually like Ben Forster, starting with Get Over It.

On 5/24/2019 at 3:48 AM, Fiver said:

He was two of my three childhood crushes and I still don't like him. That's an impressive feat. lol Hawkeye from Mash was the third. 

I'm trying to think of something nice to say about Tom Cruise...um...um... he has never murdered anyone...as far as I know. 

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm trying to think of something nice to say about Tom Cruise...um...um... he has never murdered anyone...as far as I know. 

Tom Cruise is still a good action star, well into his 50's. 🙂

4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

He can run like nobody's business!

I think it's bat-shit crazy/cool that he does a lot of his own stunts like hanging off buildings. Mostly crazy.

• Love 1