Type keyword(s) to search

Say Something Nice about Your Least Favorite Actor

• Start Topic

Just what the title implies! There will always be actors we don't like, but once in a while we can give them their due. 

Mickey Rooney: Sorry, classic film fans, but I always found him annoying as hell, and it doesn't help that he sounded like an asshole of the highest order. In fact, I've encountered more than one person who met the man himself, and they always said, without fail, "he's a jerk!"

But I ain't gonna lie, Rooney is one of my favorite actors to play Santa Claus. Seriously, he's actually quite wonderful in those Rankin-Bass specials. I think it's because it's just voice-over, he isn't able to mug, so he's forced to dial it back and behave himself. He's everything you want in Santa Claus: warm, jolly, gruff but still good-hearted.

Heather Graham: I find her to be an appallingly bland actress for the most part, but she is heartbreakingly good as Roller Girl in Boogie Nights.

• Love 5

29 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Mickey Rooney: Sorry, classic film fans, but I always found him annoying as hell, and it doesn't help that he sounded like an asshole of the highest order. In fact, I've encountered more than one person who met the man himself, and they always said, without fail, "he's a jerk!"

But I ain't gonna lie, Rooney is one of my favorite actors to play Santa Claus. Seriously, he's actually quite wonderful in those Rankin-Bass specials. I think it's because it's just voice-over, he isn't able to mug, so he's forced to dial it back and behave himself. He's everything you want in Santa Claus: warm, jolly, gruff but still good-hearted.

I'm going to piggy-back on this. I love Judy Garland, and when I watch the films she did with Mickey Rooney, all but one has her mooning over him not paying attention to her and all I can think is, "but you can do so much better!" However, I adore "Put One Foot in Front of the Other" from Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town and "I Believe in Santa Claus" from Year Without a Santa Claus.

Jennifer Lopez cannot act, but she is a good dancer and looks terrific for her age. That's the best I can do since I haven't been able to stand her for nearly two decades.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, BigBeagle said:

Vin Diesel does a good job saying "I am Groot!"

That's all I've got, folks.

Voice work is probably his best work. For me, Groot has been his best performance and I've only heard good things about "The Iron Giant"

*off to think of who my least favorite actor is so I can really participate lol

• Love 3

Kevin Costner did something really sweet while editing Dances With Wolves:  Although she had a long and lauded career on NY stages (including Broadway), some TV and small movies, in her late thirties this was Mary McDonnell's first break into a big-budget, big-studio film, and he knew her mom had terminal cancer.  When he found out her mom would almost certainly not live to see the premiere, he sent his latest cut of the film on tape; her mom never got to see that career-changing performance on the big screen, but they did get to watch it together in her hospital room.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 24

Mid90's was actually a pretty good movie. Ya done good, Jonah Hill. (Maybe directing is actually your thing because I think you're incredibly one dimensional as an actor.)

And Isn't it Romantic was good enough to make me totally forget that I can't stand Rebel Wilson's on-screen and off-screen persona.

• Love 4

Jennifer Lawrence does make good meme-faces.

Her off-screen persona is ridiculous and she's overrated onscreen, but in the right part, Gwyneth Paltrow is kind of appealing.

• Love 12

As an actor, I find Adam Sandler loathsome, but as a person? I hear he's incredibly nice. It's a shame his movies don't reflect this. 

David Spade at least owns what a snotty douche he is (and I still love The Emperor's New Groove).

Nicholas Cage was amusing in Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse.

Jack Nicholson was exceptionally well-cast in A Few Good Men.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

As an actor, I find Adam Sandler loathsome, but as a person? I hear he's incredibly nice. It's a shame his movies don't reflect this. 

And he seems to be quite the family man. Gotta give him that too.

12 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

David Spade at least owns what a snotty douche he is (and I still love The Emperor's New Groove).

Yup to both, and I would like to add that I love Tommy Boy. He was always great with Chris Farley.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, starri said:

Jennifer Lawrence does make good meme-faces.

Her off-screen persona is ridiculous and she's overrated onscreen, but in the right part, Gwyneth Paltrow is kind of appealing.

Maybe it's because she's only a supporting character who doesn't get that much to do, but I would watch a Pepper Potts movies.

• Love 5

My least favorite performer in terms of "overrated" is Chris Hemsworth. He's pretty, but he can't act all that well IMO unless in scenes opposite Tom Hiddleston. 

I think Brie Larson looks like her  true, real self might be a mean girl. No instances of "proof" to back it up, just my mean girl radar (which has rarely been wrong IRL) going off.

I don't like Meryl Streep. I think she's vastly overrated and I hate that actors now feel the need to use their entertainment platform to be political. It gets on my last nerve.

I avoid anything Leonardo DiCaprio or Tom Hanks are in. Bland and overrated, the both of them.

I don't like Chrissy Metz. I don't think she's talented, and I disagree with the way in some interviews she tries to put forth that it is okay to be morbidly obese. Maybe she's not saying that directly, but that's the implication I get and it rubs me the wrong way because it's an unhealthy form of thinking.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:19 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Mid90's was actually a pretty good movie. Ya done good, Jonah Hill. (Maybe directing is actually your thing because I think you're incredibly one dimensional as an actor.)

Oh, okay, Jonah Hill wasn't terrible in Get Him To The Greek.  (Edited to note that he did, however, steal Daniel Bruhl's Oscar nomination.)

Tom Cruise was funny in Tropic Thunder.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Tom Cruise was funny in Tropic Thunder.

I'll grudgingly agree that he was. With gritted teeth and clenched muscles, I'll even allow that he was also well-cast in Magnolia, and reasonably passable in A Few Good Men.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I did like Leonardo Di Caprio AND Tom Hanks (go figure) in "Catch Me if You Can". Apparently you can add vanilla and vanilla and get......vanilla swirl.  I liked the movie-but it's not something I've ever felt the need to watch again.

I think Meryl Streep was actually OTP campy good in "Death Becomes Her". She and Goldie Hawn and Bruce Willis appeared to be having a ball.

Chris Hemsworth has nice eyes.

Sorry, I forgot we were supposed to say something nice. 

Truthfully, unless I love a performer, I  pay very little attention to them-so it's hard to think of something nice because I don't pay enough attention to them. It's an "out of sight, out of mind" thing for me.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Jim Carrey was tolerable in The Truman Show.

I loved The Truman Show. And I don't even hate some of his comedies. But his best dramatic performance was "Doing Time on Maple Drive".

• Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh god, there are so many, but here goes:

Johnny Depp - apparently he had talent once.

So did you see the new Murder on the Orient Express ? I went to the theater and saw it, and several people started giggling when his character was murdered. That wasn't you, was it ?

• LOL 7
On 4/24/2019 at 11:01 PM, Anduin said:

Maybe it's because she's only a supporting character who doesn't get that much to do, but I would watch a Pepper Potts movies.

Honestly, Pepper was what won me over.  Kind of.

• Love 2
On 4/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, IWantCandy71 said:

My least favorite performer in terms of "overrated" is Chris Hemsworth. He's pretty, but he can't act all that well IMO unless in scenes opposite Tom Hiddleston. 

I think Brie Larson looks like her  true, real self might be a mean girl. No instances of "proof" to back it up, just my mean girl radar (which has rarely been wrong IRL) going off.

I don't like Meryl Streep. I think she's vastly overrated and I hate that actors now feel the need to use their entertainment platform to be political. It gets on my last nerve.

I avoid anything Leonardo DiCaprio or Tom Hanks are in. Bland and overrated, the both of them.

I don't like Chrissy Metz. I don't think she's talented, and I disagree with the way in some interviews she tries to put forth that it is okay to be morbidly obese. Maybe she's not saying that directly, but that's the implication I get and it rubs me the wrong way because it's an unhealthy form of thinking.

I think you're in the wrong topic.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think you're in the wrong topic.

I already said, that I forgot I was supposed to say something nice. And for those I could think of something nice about, I did go back and say it.

Hence my Chris Hemsworth has nice eyes, and I liked Meryl Streep in "Death Becomes Her"

Brie Larson...……..she has nice hair.

I think that covers it.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, proserpina65 said:

He was actually watchable in 50 First Dates.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

And The Wedding Singer.

Love them both. The Wedding Singer just a little more because he says what I've wanted brides or grooms dumped at the alter to say but they never do.

Robbie: [Linda shows up for the first time after failing to marry him] You're late.

Linda: [sighs] I'm sorry... I just couldn't do it.

Robbie: Well, if you need more time, I guess I could wait.

Linda: No... I don't need more time, Robbie. I don't ever want to marry you.

Robbie: [takes a deep breath, sighs] Gee, you know that information... really would've been more useful to me *yesterday.*

Linda: I've been talking with my friends the last few days...

Robbie: Oh, boy, here it comes.

Linda: ...and I think I've figured out what's been bothering me. I'm not in love with Robbie, now. I'm in love with Robbie, six years ago. Robbie, the lead singer of Final Warning; I used to come watch you when you were in your silk shirt and Spandex pants, and you would sing into the microphone like you were David Lee Roth.

Robbie: I've still got the Spandex; I'll put 'em on right now.

Linda: The point is, I woke up this morning and realized I'm about to get married to a wedding singer? I am never gonna leave Richfield!

Robbie: Why do you need to leave Richfield? We grew up here. All our friends are here; it's the perfect place to raise a family.

Linda: Oh, yeah - sure! Living in your sister's basement with five kids while you're off every weekends doing wedding gigs at a whoppin' sixty bucks a pop?

Robbie: Once again, things that could've been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!

Thank you for that! Yes, any doubts, misgivings, change of heart or whatever could be brought up the day before and not when their standing at the alter with their entire family and friends there. 

• Love 10
On 5/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, Browncoat said:

I liked him in Spanglish, too.

Spanglish is so underrated. I cried at that movie at the end. I've liked Adam Sandler in several movies. He's a better dramatic actor than a lot of so called mainstream dramatic actors. His comedy is mostly cringeworthy, though.  

• Love 4