Type keyword(s) to search

Galavant In The Media

While I'm super sad about Galavants demise I am quite thrilled to hear that it's going to be a stage show! My only thing is that it HAS to be the original cast. I just can't imagine anyone but Tim Omundson and the rest of the gang playing these parts. 

• Love 3

This news has given me a really stressy tummy :(

It's not especially surprising, but still so disappointing. This was one of the most clever and original shows to come along in a long time, not to mention absolutely freaking hilarious. I'm sad to think we won't ever see Richard or Tad Cooper again, not to mention find out how Izzy and Gal like retirement, or how Madalena makes out with her advanced DDEW training, or how Sid and Gareth's excellent adventure goes. But dammit, I still super believe!

*sniff*

• Love 5

I'm only slightly less bitter about this one because unlike Agent Carter and The Muppets, Galavant didn't end on such a horrible cliffhanger. So I'm sad but I can live with it.

Yay about the stage show though! Now if only they could release it on DVD...

• Love 7

I'm sad at the cancellation, but obviously not surprised given the ratings.  I enjoyed Season 2 much less than I enjoyed Season 1, because Season 2 wasn't "Galavant"... it was more like "Richard and Gareth".  The shift away from Galavant and the increased focus on Richard and Gareth was not welcomed by me.  The character of Galavant was greatly minimised, and I'm puzzled as to why.

Oh well.  Hopefully Joshua Sasse moves on to bigger and better things.

• Love 3

I preferred Season 2 because as much as I liked Galavant, I loved the focus on other members of the cast.  So I will always treasure that we got a second season and we weren't left in limbo.

• Love 6

I'm very bummed about this, too.  I mean, it's not like there's anything else on in January; it was a nice little bit of fluff to cheer up a dry spell.

But I also missed Galavant's character (as much as I adored King Richard).  Sigh.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Do you really want the show to be picked up without Joshua Sasse?

Considering that he was more or less relegated to a supporting player last season, I don't think it really makes a bit of difference.  The show can go on without him.  Besides, I haven't heard that his pilot was actually picked up; do you know something that the rest of us don't?

Sasse would still be under a contractual obligation to Galavant (they have firsties), so I'm pretty sure he'd have to do another season if the show were picked up somewhere else.

Although, the likelihood of that is pretty much nil, I'm not holding my breath.

8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Sasse would still be under a contractual obligation to Galavant (they have firsties), so I'm pretty sure he'd have to do another season if the show were picked up somewhere else.

Although, the likelihood of that is pretty much nil, I'm not holding my breath.

I believe he was released from his contractual  obligation to "Galavant."

32 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Boo. okay so without spoilers - should i even bother watching Season 2 now  - since it's cancelled? or is S2 must watch?

IT IS A MUST WATCH. If you enjoyed Season One AT ALL, Season 2 - well, it's just a DELIGHT. MUSTTTTTTTT WATCHHHHHHHHHH (sorry to get all capsy) Plus, then you can join us here at the broken-hearts club. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

IT IS A MUST WATCH. If you enjoyed Season One AT ALL, Season 2 - well, it's just a DELIGHT. MUSTTTTTTTT WATCHHHHHHHHHH (sorry to get all capsy) Plus, then you can join us here at the broken-hearts club. 

(laugh) understood.  I will get on it and then lament with you all. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, betsyboo said:

Yes, Season 2 is an absolute must watch!  And, do the #MoreGalavant Week a favor and go watch it for free on Hulu this week.  Like many others around here, I wasn't a fan of how Galavant was relegated to supporting character in the second season but that doesn't make it any less of a delightful, campy, musical romp through the Middle Ages.  And, as much as I would have done things just a bit differently here and there had I been a show runner, I still think the season ended just perfectly.  If the campaign to bring Galavant to a streaming platform like Hulu, Netflix or Amazon fails, I can and will at least be happy with how season 2 was wrapped up, and I'll eagerly look forward to the stage version that Menken and Slater are apparently developing.

• Love 2

I don't normally buy DVDs of TV series, but Amazon has the digital download of the first season for about $20. I think I might buy it and burn it a DVD. Holy smoke! They also have "Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire" for $9, which was kind of a precursor to Galavant.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I don't normally buy DVDs of TV series, but Amazon has the digital download of the first season for about $20. I think I might buy it and burn it a DVD. Holy smoke! They also have "Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire" for $9, which was kind of a precursor to Galavant.

You might not be able to burn the amazon Galavant videos to a DVD. I buy videos from iTunes, as opposed to amazon, & you can't burn those to DVD--they're copy protected. The same might be true for the amazon videos.

• Love 1

I watched the trailer for Joshua Sasse's new show, "No Tomorrow".  It's about this straight-laced girl that works for an Amazon-like distribution center who meets a character played by Sasse who is convinced the world is ending in 8 months.  He's a free spirit who convinces her to embark on a series of bucket list adventures together.

IMO, this show looks baaaaaddddd, and not in a good way.  I think he seems good in this, but I find the girl to be a stereotype and particularly annoying.  It's from the same people who make "Jane the Virgin", and you probably know the character type.  It's the same neurotic, insecure, quirky girl who just needs a nudge to blossom.  The same tired trope that shows up in many a rom-com.

On the plus side, this show is on CW, and CW tends to give shows more of a chance before cancelling them.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, blackwing said:

I watched the trailer for Joshua Sasse's new show, "No Tomorrow".  It's about this straight-laced girl that works for an Amazon-like distribution center who meets a character played by Sasse who is convinced the world is ending in 8 months.  He's a free spirit who convinces her to embark on a series of bucket list adventures together.

IMO, this show looks baaaaaddddd, and not in a good way.

Aw, in response to your post, I Googled the trailer... and I think I'll watch it.  I love Joshua Sasse, and the show looks like some light, frothy fun.  I generally like Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend too, so that bodes well for this series.

I do still hope that someone picks up Galavant for another season though.  It would be great if Joshua could find some time to guest in a few episodes. 

If not, at least the two seasons we got were fantastic.  I just need an official DVD release, please!   With plenty of special features, ideally.

• Love 1

I watched the trailer; for No Tomorrow, and I kept expecting Sasse to burst out into song. They better find multiple reasons to have him to sing. Like a thing on his Apocalyst be "Pretend you are in a musical for a day."

• Love 3

Over the weekend, there was a special live version of The Little Mermaid performed at the Hollywood Bowl. On opening night, Alan Menken started off the show by singing a 16 minute medley of his songs from various shows (Little Shop of Horrors, Newsies, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Enchanted, Hercules, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Tangled, etc) and he included the theme song from Galavant which got a decent sized cheer from the audience!

• Love 4

I know! This was actually one of the better versions I was able to find. The other videos I watched had way more talking. I was shushing my screen in the hopes that the audience would pipe down once they realized that they were being graced with Alan Menken's presence.

• Love 1
(edited)

Galavant got an Emmy nomination!

Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend • I'm Going on a Date with Josh's Friend! / Song Title: Settle For Me • CW

Empire • A Rose By Any Other Name / Song Title: Good People • FOX

Galavant • A New Season aka Suck It Cancellation Bear / Song Title: A New Season • ABC
Alan Menken, Music by
Glenn Slater, Lyrics by

Garfunkel and Oates: Trying To Be Special • Song Title: Frozen Lullaby • Vimeo

The Hunting Ground • Song Title: 'Til It Happens To You • CNN •

Edited by Trini
  • Love 5
On 7/14/2016 at 1:23 PM, Trini said:

Galavant got an Emmy nomination!

That's so fantastic!   I really hope they win.

And, although I watch and generally enjoy Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, I would be especially pleased if Galavant wins the Emmy over that show.  That's because I was so annoyed at the lead's award acceptance speech when she went on about how CXG is the only musical on network television... completely ignoring the existence of (the IMO superior) Galavant.  And in all the ensuing media coverage and internet discussion of the CXG win and acceptance speech... nobody could be bothered to mention that there was in fact another network musical, and a fantastic one at that.

Isn't there a category for musical and/or variety shows, or something?   I wish Galavant could win something like that.  I can't imagine any other show that would be more deserving.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Trini said:

Oh well, the show didn't get the Emmy.... NOW can we have the DVDs??

Dammit, I had a major gut feeling that The Hunting Ground was going to get the award. The feeling came from it having the Academy Award nominee attachment. Just what does Menken need to do to complete his EGOT

• Love 3