Type keyword(s) to search

Galavant In The Media

Ask Matt:  

Could Galavant Sing Again?

Question: While it feels like everyone else was watching Grease Sunday night, I chose to watch the Galavant finale in real time. I have loved this show from the beginning, but found its second season even better than the first, with richer characterizations, more focused storytelling and a refreshing willingness to shuffle the deck and place their gifted ensemble in new situations that really felt fresh and exciting in a way that the show it's filling in for hasn't been in a long time. (Granted, Once Upon a Time has been on longer and airs a full season every year, but still, it's hard not to notice that I looked forward to Galavant more, whereas OUAT has become more of an obligation.)

I also think the producers of Galavant were smart to wrap up the finale in the way that they did, giving us satisfying closure in case they aren't able to evade the cancellation bear again. But there was enough of a foundation laid in the end that I am really excited to see where they go with it next year and what that would look like. I hope they're given the chance to do that, since I've really fallen in love with these characters and would be disappointed if we never get to visit this world again. What do you think ABC's expectations for the show are? Obviously, they know it is being programmed as filler against heavy-duty event TV in January like football and the Golden Globes (the show itself has made fun of this on a number of occasions), so given the unique conditions under which it has always been aired, where is the bar for the measurement of its success? I'm also kind of afraid that Grease was probably worse competition for it than usual, on account of Galavant going for the exact same audience of musical lovers. — Jake

Matt Roush: Actually, according to ABC, the delightful Galavant finale grew a bit from the previous week (which wouldn't be hard, given that it was facing the behemoth of football championship action). But yes, if there ever was an underdog whose praises deserved singing, it's this one. (Added treat: Here's a compilation of some of the show's best and funniest original songs.) I honestly haven't a clue how ABC as a corporation views this little show that could, except with fondness for its spunky self-deprecation at having actually made it to a surprise second season. It was very smart for the show to end with a real ending this time—and the dragon kicker was especially sweet. Still, it seems likely that ABC will once again need to fill the Once Upon a Time gap next winter, and if it makes business sense to go back to this world, I hope it happens. But given how it's programmed, with back-to-back episodes and an entire season coming and going within a month, I'm content for now that we got a happily ever after of any sort.

• Love 5

Was hoping to watch season 1 again, but I didn't see it available on Hulu. :(. Only season 2 was available and I have that on dvr

You can purchase it on iTunes, Amazon or YouTube.  I bought it on YouTube because I can stream it via my Chromecast directly to my TV and the quality is fantastic, plus, no commercials!

TVLine Performer of the Week 2/6/16

HONORABLE MENTION | War, what is it good for? Answer: Laughs, bravado and even some lovey- dovey times, as Galavant’s Timothy Omundson showed us. Season 2’s final half-hour opened with a duet between Richard and his younger self that was bittersweet in its honesty about the lad’s lackluster future. After that melancholy bit, Omundson dove into Richard’s duel with Wormwood, which began with amusing awkwardness before segueing into the seriocomic, as Richard feared the worst about his pet dragon. After besting the wizard, Richard tracked down Roberta to earnestly avow, “Without you,” his victory “means absolutely nothing.” Cap the season with future Richard beaming over a grown Tad Cooper, and you have a royally resonant performance.

• Love 4

Barry speaks!  http://www.designntrend.com/articles/69675/20160206/galavant-cancelled-or-renewed-actor-muzz-khan-fingers-crossed-season-3-exclusive.htm

I especially liked this part

If the show does get renewed for season 3, Khan dished on what his character be doing in future episode.
"If that happens, then I'd like Barry to become the chief wedding planner of the Seven Realms - seeing as Wormwood is dead. Or maybe I could work for the Dark Evil Lord and be a spy?" Khan said. "Wouldn't it be nice if he got a love interest and we saw how a hopeless inept human being like Barry manages to sustain or negotiate a love life and career? There's plenty of mileage in that, I reckon....."

Considering that Barry pinged my gaydar just a bit, I wouldn't mind seeing him starting a relationship with Sid.  After all, I have a feeling that Barry knows what the Enchanted Forest is, too!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Barry speaks! http://www.designntrend.com/articles/69675/20160206/galavant-cancelled-or-renewed-actor-muzz-khan-fingers-crossed-season-3-exclusive.htm

I especially liked this part

Considering that Barry pinged my gaydar just a bit, I wouldn't mind seeing him starting a relationship with Sid. After all, I have a feeling that Barry knows what the Enchanted Forest is, too!

Take thee and this brilliant idea to the Wishlist topic!

That happened awfully quick? How long have they been dating? 6 months? I'd never get engaged to someone I barely know, no matter how crazy in love I was.

Not even 6 months.  They met on set last August but apparently didn't start dating until September.  The article in The Telegraph that I read earlier stated they got engaged while on a "festive winter holiday", which jibes with the rumor that they've been engaged since around Christmas/New Year's.  So, the math says 5 months, tops, before they got engaged.  I'm with you on taking it slow but who am I to judge? My maternal grandparents met on a train during WWII, were married 3 months later and stayed happily married for the rest of their lives (57 years & counting when my grandpa passed away).

Yeah, I guess, who am I to judge. If they love each other and make it work, it's really great and I'm happy for their happiness. Maybe I wouldn't do it any other way if I was madly in love with someone (for once in my life), but generally, I think, if you are really into someone and want to spend your life with them, why rush things? Why not keep a few special moments for later in life?

Harry and Sally would tell you:

"... because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

• Love 3

Harry and Sally would tell you:

"... because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

Except it took Harry and Sally 12 years and 3 months to get to that point.

• Love 2

I don't follow people's Twitters, but apparently Joshua Sasse was quiet on social media for a while when Galavant was airing. Was he mad about what kind of amounted to a reduced role on his own show?

From the story:

So that's it then, no more "Galavant." Slim chance of renewal, no lead.

Well, for starters, this is only a pilot, not something that's been picked up.  Lots of stuff never make it beyond the pilot stage. 

I wonder how that works though, with the contracts, since I figured that any other jobs Joshua Sasse could book would have to work around his prior commitment to Galavant. Even if he were able to get out of the Galavant contract, I find it intriguing that the article even brought up the idea that he would only appear in the 1st episode of a potential 3rd season.  That makes me think that there are some discussions underway and that no, not all hope is lost for a 3rd season renewal.  After all, let's face it, Tim Omundson's King Richard really became the lead last season, with Sasse's Galavant playing second fiddle, at best.  I would hate to imagine Isabella having her happily ever after prematurely ended (my bet would be, if he does leave for this new show, the writers would kill Galavant off), but it could be one heck of a storyline for Karen David.  I think there's some potential, though I'm not alone in saying I'd greatly miss the eye-candy that is Joshua, lol.

They could, in theory, have Galavant without Galavant --there are enough interesting supporting characters-- but yes, I'd greatly miss Sasse. (Besides the hotness, he's got a great voice!) It wouldn't be the same.

Yeah, that struck me as supremely weird. If he's under contract to one show with network options to pick up for a 3rd season, how does a later contract with another production company supersede that? Did Kylie buy out his contract from Disney?

They could, in theory, have Galavant without Galavant --there are enough interesting supporting characters-- but yes, I'd greatly miss Sasse. (Besides the hotness, he's got a great voice!) It wouldn't be the same.

Yes, they could. I mean, when Valerie Harper left that NBC family sitcom she starred in years ago, they changed the show's title twice after the original & kept her first name--which was also her character's first name--in the title until the show's third overall title, of 3 total titles: Valerie (the original title); Valerie's Family (the first title after Harper left/her character was killed off) &, finally, The Hogan Family (this was the title until the show was cancelled; Sandy Duncan was brought in to play the family father's sister/the kids' aunt & maternal figure, & the title then included the family's surname).

• Love 1

Yeah, that struck me as supremely weird. If he's under contract to one show with network options to pick up for a 3rd season, how does a later contract with another production company supersede that? Did Kylie buy out his contract from Disney?

You think they're going to still be together after he moves to LA to film this new show? 

I suppose it's possible, since Galavant is only a short-season show that there's some sort of out in the contract that gives first position to any show that would have a full season order.

I'm completely on board with the idea of Isabella establishing the House of Galavant to rule over not only Valencia but the whole of the Seven Realms.  Some of us have said it in the episode discussions but she's a far more believable "one true king/queen to unite them all" than Richard is.  Think about it - why didn't the Hortensians overthrow their child-prince with a toy armory in favor of the warrior princess and her knight who saved them from certain D'doom?  Izzy could be put in a position where she needs to consolidate power to battle Madalena, so start with Hortensia & Valencia and expand out from there.  That's a storyline I could get behind, even without Gary Galavant at her side.

Edited by HighQueenEB

I'm completely on board with the idea of Isabella establishing the House of Galavant to rule over not only Valencia but the whole of the Seven Realms.

I love this idea.  And it would make up for Karen David being side-lined for so much of Season 2. 

Elect Queen Izzy Empress of the Seven Realms!!!!

• Love 2

They're engaged and Kylie appears to have functioning eyesight, so I would assume so.

Well, so what if they're engaged? (for what it's worth, I'd say the same if they were already married) She's London-based and if Josh's new show gets a full-season pick-up, he's going to be LA-based for most of the year.  Hard to make a relationship last when you're separated that much of the time, especially a fairly new relationship.

I don't think the parallels to Valerie Harper's show are necessarily valid. I wouldn't want Galavant without Gary Galavant, but the potential stories they set up for a third season would be "rescuing" Madalena from herself and Richard as the one true king. I kind of agree with Galavant -- I thought he should have been the one true king. Other than pulling a sword from a stone, Richard has no kingly virtues (and not the Kingsley ones of raping, pillaging, and spreading his seed far and wide).

• Love 2

Ask Matt from last week:

A Final Refrain for Galavant

Question: Although in an ideal world I wanted another miracle resurrection for Galavant, I never expected one, and now the death warrant seems to have been officially signed. I just saw that Joshua Sasse took a new CW pilot in first position, and would only be allowed to appear in the first episode of a hypothetical third season. Since it's clearly impossible to make Galavant without the actor playing Galavant, obviously this is just more final confirmation of the fact that ABC's new regime will be dumping the show as has been already discussed. But I wanted to ask how this circumstance was even allowed to happen. I know that typically when actors are under contract to a bubble show, pilots are in second position so that the pilot has to recast if the bubble show receives a renewal. Last year, Charlie McDermott was able to do his CBS pilot in first position because his original six-year contract with The Middle was up, but since Galavant is only two years old, I can't imagine they would only have contracted the star of the show for a two-year term. If Galavant had been a rousing ratings hit, they obviously would be renewing it for the foreseeable future. I realize this is moot, but how on earth would the star of the show be able to do anything else in first position?

At this point, I am just hoping for a Blu-ray release of the two seasons together (and physical CD for the second season's songs) and I'll be happy, but I expect even those are long shots now that the network is no longer sustaining the show. — Jake

Matt Roush: I'm far from an expert on these kinds of contractual negotiations and details, but the likelihood of Galavant returning is so remote (sigh) that I suppose the actor and his agents forged into pilot season as aggressively as they could to land a lead role—which, we might note, is not a guarantee the show in question will even make it onto The CW's already full plate. (Although I'm now a Joshua Sasse fan, so here's hoping.) It is a curious detail that if Galavant somehow survived, the title character would only appear in the premiere, but that's such a fantastical rabbit hole of a speculation, why even sweat it? As for keepsakes like a Galavant DVD or CD, you'd think a veteran hit-maker like Alan Menken might have enough clout to see something like that come to pass. But we live in digital times, and that may have to be enough.

While I love Gary Galavant, this show is creative enough to continue without the actor. There are seven kingdoms with a cast of thousands to choose from to interact with the regulars. And we may get an occasional cameo from Sasse.

• Love 3

I always thought sasse was miscast and want to see more of tad Cooper and Richard.

The only real problem I see with the Sasse casting is that he is awfully young to be portraying such a heroic knight of legends told.  This was sort of compounded this season when they wrote Isabella as 25, while Gary Galavant has to be at least 35-37 based on the first season flashback when he was a kid of 7-9 "thirty winters earlier".  Kinda makes it ironic and squicky that Isabella was upset at marrying her cousin who is 12-15 years younger than her when she's marrying a guy who is close to that many years older than her (minus the whole incest angle, lol).

• Love 1

If the next season does go ahead, I'm sure the writers will rewrite the lyrics of the title song to make fun of the fact that "Galavant" will no longer have Galavant in it.

Sadly, he was already sidelined last season, so I'm sure they can write around him.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2016 at 10:01 PM, HighQueenEB said:

The only real problem I see with the Sasse casting is that he is awfully young to be portraying such a heroic knight of legends told.  This was sort of compounded this season when they wrote Isabella as 25, while Gary Galavant has to be at least 35-37 based on the first season flashback when he was a kid of 7-9 "thirty winters earlier".  Kinda makes it ironic and squicky that Isabella was upset at marrying her cousin who is 12-15 years younger than her when she's marrying a guy who is close to that many years older than her (minus the whole incest angle, lol).

There's a difference between 13-to-25 and 25-to-37.  It an extreme end, there wouldn't be any complaints about a 60 year old marrying a 72 year old, even though the difference is the same.

It's squicky because [a] her cousin is only starting puberty and it's her cousin!

• Love 5

This is the one I'd think could best be re-aimed at Netflix. It's right in line with their approach to shows (limited run, quirky/off-beat, creator driven).

But ABC owned it lock stock and barrel I think. I don't know if Netflix wants to do deals with shows that were fully network owned.

• Love 5

As much as I loved the show, I'm not overly bothered that it was cancelled.  So many good shows outlive their goodness (Heroes, I'm looking at you!) -- I'm glad Galavant won't be one of them.  It ended on a high note.

• Love 9

Sad to see it cancelled after all the hardcore campaigning fans have done the past few weeks.

I'm at peace though, mainly because I think it might be for the better. If we had gotten a season 3 it doesn't sound like Joshua Sasse would have been involved, even though introducing a cousin or relative (or focusing on Isabella) would have been a cute idea for a while. That was one of my complaints for season 2--that Galavant (the title character) took a major backseat.

• Love 2