Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E15: Meet Your Finalists (2019.04.22)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

This 2-hour special episode takes a deep dive into each finalist’s journey on the show thus far, highlighting new, never-before-seen songs, stories, performances, and footage, as well as revisiting favorite moments from this season.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

I didn't watch this since it was a recap ep.

It wasn't really a recap show, it was more like, get to know the contestants better. Hence the name of the episode. They showed new clips and interviews and featurettes at home with their families. I recorded it am still watching, but it's been interesting so far. They started out with Laine, and now I love him even more. 🙂 He said he's loved Elvis since he was a kid, but is trying to do his own thing since no one can compare to Elvis. We got to see his mom taking him shoe shopping, since he was just wearing the rubber boots all the time. lol

Wade isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, which we already know, but maybe he didn't have the best education. He didn't know what irrational meant. But he honestly seems like a sweet guy.

Walker is really adorkable, and I think he totally could have a career in musical theater after the show. He's so animated.

Update: Jeremiah used to be a star basketball player until he tore his ACL. That's when he started focusing on music. He also has a cat named Emily Dickenson. lol He also is a really good painter, and he once was a fisherman in Alaska! Is there nothing he can't do?! They also showed a news clip of him being interviewed with his dad, and his dad said he would never turn his back on his son.  Also, his parents will be in the audience for the first time next week!

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 6

They also included the group round performance of Jeremiah’s group, I’d have to replay the episode on Directv Now to catch the song. Edit: it was “Stop In the Name of Love.” (The Supremes). What was interesting is that Jeremiah took control of the rehearsal in short order and whipped the group song into shape in 30 minutes, using Jeremiah’s choir directing skills. 

I’ll have to disagree in some respects about this judging panel. Lionel has been a performer, songwriter, producer, and promoter for nearly 50 years, even as he just turned 70.  Luke and Katy have been singer songwriters for long enough to know the business from the artist side. Perhaps they haven’t been harshly criticizing as Simon would have been. But Simon was ridiculous in his own way and trying to manipulate those who were voting or the performers. On the other hand, the all performer panels have been reasonably successful, especially after Simon, then Randy and Paula left. I would also agree that after the Kris Allen/Adam Lambert season 8, Idol only had one more great season, 15, with Trent Harmon,  while it was still on FOX.

in the ABC incarnation this season even at the Top 40, Top 20, Top 14  much less at the Top 10 has been among the strongest. Ryan and the judges may be right that this is their best group in the show’s history, but I didn’t stick around for long for some of those seasons including last season as I didn’t feel vested as I had been with Trent, and I just didn’t care. This season has been totally different.

Edited by theschnauzers
Add an song title, fixed typos and clarify thoughts
  • Love 5

Didn't watch, don't really plan to, even though I DVR'd it.   With Uche gone, none of them hold my interest.   Wait - maybe I will, if only to see how dumb Laine is.  And I kinda like him, as least his musical style, but he doesn't seem to able to speak in complete sentences, or be capable of stringing more than three word together.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Didn't watch, don't really plan to, even though I DVR'd it.   With Uche gone, none of them hold my interest.   Wait - maybe I will, if only to see how dumb Laine is.  And I kinda like him, as least his musical style, but he doesn't seem to able to speak in complete sentences, or be capable of stringing more than three word together.  

So if an 18 year doesn't speak eloquently, they're dumb? *sighs* Some of you are so harsh. I personally haven't had any issues with his speaking. I do wonder if some of the issues that people have mentioned have something to with the teeth issues that he talked about in this episode. As someone who's had speech problems as a child, and had to have speech therapy, many times the last thing you want to do is talk more, which is what is required to get past the disorder.

• Love 6

I deleted this from recording but restored it at the last minute. Glad I did as it showed some unseen footage, like the groups rounds someone above mentioned. It was also interesting to see where the contestants are from.  Kind of interesting that there was pretty much nothing about Alejandro’s family, friends or childhood. We’ve only seen a nephew on a past episode.  There was a clip of Madison singing a Whitney Houston song when she was 10 and she was a powerhouse even then.  Can wait to see Adam Lambert on Sunday’s Queen night!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Blissfool said:

They showed Alejandro's group round and it was AWFUL. He didn't seem to take it seriously, was laughing throughout the performance. I'm surprised he made it through.

Seeing that segment made me lol. I kind of dig Alejandro. However, I found it kind of unfair that they were so hard on Colby and Wade for forgetting lyrics when Alejandro barely even sung. I'm glad that he made it through, but I gave it the side eye. It makes me think that they already knew who they were putting through before the groups even went-or at least most of them. They were going to take some singers no matter how badly they screwed up, either because they genuinely liked them or because they had too good of a sob story to pass up. 

12 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

So if an 18 year doesn't speak eloquently, they're dumb? *sighs* Some of you are so harsh

I was making reference to what I read (thought it was here, but can't find it) about Laine not knowing the meaning of a fairly common word in an interview.  As for the 'dumb' comment, I was being snarky, which I thought was the reason for these boards in the first place.  I obviously don't know if he actually is dumb, but he certainly needs some help in navigating an interview.   There are younger contestants than he who do speak "eloquently", so I think it's fair to call him out on that.

• Love 2

Wow, they could waste time on this, but couldn't use night 2 for results?

Oh, and next week, Queen?  Does anyone think any of these singers can handle most Queen songs?  And not only did I have to suffer through Disney week, but now I have to put up with Adam Lambert as a mentor - ugh.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I was making reference to what I read (thought it was here, but can't find it) about Laine not knowing the meaning of a fairly common word in an interview.  As for the 'dumb' comment, I was being snarky, which I thought was the reason for these boards in the first place.  I obviously don't know if he actually is dumb, but he certainly needs some help in navigating an interview.   There are younger contestants than he who do speak "eloquently", so I think it's fair to call him out on that.

Sorry, I guess the snark didn't come across in your post for me. it just seemed cruel. I guess it's a fine line. And I suppose I'm just getting tired of people hate watching, and wanting to discuss only negative aspects, or picking on someone's mental or physical limits/negative qualities. Not saying people shouldn't be allowed to discuss negative things, but I'm here because I watch shows that I like, and want to talk about them. Anyway, I'm getting way off topic, so I'll just sign off for now!

• Love 5

I actually get what you mean about people hate-watching shows and only posting negatively.   (If you read the General Hospital thread, you'll see what I mean. :)    I like Idol, although not as much as I did in the old days.   And I did post positive things about Uche, so I hope I'm not coming across as super-negative.  -   I guess it's just easier, or more fun, or something, to post snarkily about shows than positively.   --  And to end this on an actual positive note, I just watched the "get to know the idols" show I DVR'd, and I appreciate Madison's voice even more than I did before, plus she seems like a genuinely nice young lady.  She is really likeable.   Since Uche is gone, maybe I'll start rooting for Madison.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I actually get what you mean about people hate-watching shows and only posting negatively.   (If you read the General Hospital thread, you'll see what I mean. 🙂 I like Idol, although not as much as I did in the old days.   And I did post positive things about Uche, so I hope I'm not coming across as super-negative.  -   I guess it's just easier, or more fun, or something, to post snarkily about shows than positively.   --  And to end this on an actual positive note, I just watched the "get to know the idols" show I DVR'd, and I appreciate Madison's voice even more than I did before, plus she seems like a genuinely nice young lady.  She is really likeable.   Since Uche is gone, maybe I'll start rooting for Madison.

Madison's my favorite female on the show. Didn't the judges compare her to Kelly Clarkson when she first auditioned? I can't believe she's only 17. I guess some of your criticism of Laine, who's a year older, is warranted when you compare the two. LOL Although I do think guys at that age are generally more immature.

Queen week will be super interesting. I'm actually hoping that Laine doesn't sing Crazy Little Thing Called Love, because of the Elvis vibe. I want him to prove to the doubters that he's not just an Elvis wannabe.

• Love 1

I fast-forwarded through Wade and Alejandro's segments of the 'get to know' episode.  Neither of them hold my interest vocally.   Wade especially, since that growl is just a put-on, since we've heard his natural singing voice.   I love Ragu's voice, but somehow I didn't warm up to her in the episode.   Can't even tell you why.   Was it last season that she was first on Idol?   I loved her then and couldn't believe she didn't go further.   I did like how they showed her with her little sisters.  

Also, firmly on Team Madison, she is hands down, imo, the best vocalist on the show. 

However, I would not be one tiny bit surprised if Laine won in a cuteness landslide vote.  Agree with above poster who mentioned they were tired of his "diamond in the rough" aw shucks schtick.

I have a hard time following Jeremiah's back story.  First he was kicked out and shunned.  Then his father said Jeremiah was never shunned. Then the story changed to one of loving acceptance and family presence.  I think it was overinflated in the beginning of the show to garner viewers and votes, and now TPTB are trying to slowly backtrack and change the dialogue to a redemption story.  Just rings overblown and possibly even false to me.  My opinion only.

Mamadrama said:

I wish they'd aired this before the top 10 reveal. IMO they're waiting way too late into the game to "introduce" us to these folks. 

Agree wholeheartedly with this.  I sometimes have a hard time keeping the contestants straight when there are so many in the beginning.  It would be helpful to have a little more info to keep them differentiated.

Edited by observer
  • Love 2

I have a hard time following Jeremiah's back story.  First he was kicked out and shunned.  Then his father said Jeremiah was never shunned. Then the story changed to one of loving acceptance and family presence.  I think it was overinflated in the beginning of the show to garner viewers and votes, and now TPTB are trying to slowly backtrack and change the dialogue to a redemption story.  Just rings overblown and possibly even false to me.  My opinion only.

First off, neither Jeremiah nor the show ever said he was either “shunned” or “kicked out.” What he did say that while he knew they loved him they wouldn’t accept his being gay. He then explained in a later early episode (which was actually Hollywood Week) several months after his audition, the he (Jeremiah) didn’t feel that he could stay in that situation, implying that it wasn’t healthy, living in his parents house and working in his dad’s church and that he decided to move out and quit his janitor job.

In the next round after that, Jeremiah said he had a new job (a music director at a different church) and had moved out, and that had improved the relationship with his parents. The implication had been all along was the issues had been with his parents. During Disney week his just recently married sister cam to visit on the tail end of her honeymoon (and Jeremiah was at the wedding). And Jeremiah mentioned in his meet the finalists package airing Monday night that his parents would be out for Queen week. 

It helps to search on YouTube for the WMAR interview with Jeremiah and his dad, and the Out.com interview posted online in late March to get a clearer view of what actually was going on.

And one last point. The contracts contestants sign in these reality/competition shows all give producers free reign to use and edit what is recorded as they see fit. Unlike many other situations, the producers were attempting to fit his story in a stereotypical way that didn’t fit. That will be clearly evident in those interviews that I mentioned. Those were intended to get the whole story out and get the record straight. What you’ave seen on the show this past month is the producers mea culpa in getting it wrong.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2