Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E14: Disney Night - 2019.04.21

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Speaking of which, Katy looked absurd and I have no idea who/what she was supposed to be.

She was dressed up in an Ursula costume- the sea witch villain from The Little Mermaid.

• Love 3

So over the Katy Perry "Look at me, Look At Me. LOOK AT ME" blatant pulsating neediness.  You know that person who will do anything, absolutely anything to get attention?  Katy.  You know that person who actually thinks what she is doing is cute, or funny?  Katy.

Not even done with watching the show, but that crab leg stunt?  For me, obnoxious, went on too long, disgusting.

everybody-look-at-qbujdg.jpg

Can't decide if she is uber assured that she is SOOO funny, or if she has so fragile an ego that must be fed at all cost.

Can I vote to send a judge home?

Edited by observer
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

I haven’t watched this show is a few years but I wish we didn’t get rid of them in 2s right now.  It feels like the front part of the show is too long then.  We hardly will get a chance to see them sing before they are gone yet had to sit thru a loooooong set of manufactured nonsense to see people that didn’t even make the top 10.   The drama wasn’t that compelling to warrant that.  

Now that we were down to a top 14 or 10 I’d like the see them sing dammit.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Not at all weird, since it's been obvious all along that his singing voice on the show is completely affected and phony. I was just surprised he let it slip. That one line was the only decent thing he's sung.

Regarding Wade, I didn't know that at all, so it was a surprise to me.

I think that Laine Hardy is beautiful, for what it's worth.  I get that that's not what an Idol makes but a lot of people are asking what his appeal is - I think he's cute and charismatic for sure.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

It feels like the front part of the show is too long then.  We hardly will get a chance to see them sing before they are gone yet had to sit thru a loooooong set of manufactured nonsense to see people that didn’t even make the top 10.   The drama wasn’t that compelling to warrant that.  

Now that we were down to a top 14 or 10 I’d like the see them sing dammit.

I completely agree. If ABC doesn't want to air the show for five months, then at least shorten the audition rounds to a couple weeks, one week for Hollywood and top 24 reveal, One or two weeks for semifinals, then let the top 10 sing, eliminating one per week until top 3. Why can't they do that?!?

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I feel like my opinion of the show differs a great deal from most of the other posters here. I love this group of judges, especially Katy Perry. They put on an act to entertain for the camera, but they've made good decisions (not advancing people to the top 14 because of sob stories, picking the three best wildcards they could, not wasting a Save this week on people who would just go next week anyway). The new format of cutting two a week has grown on me because we don't drag on and on to a result we already know is coming or get filler results shows anymore. I like having a top 3 finale because the vote divide means the female contestants actually have a shot to win this show again.

And I can't agree that there have been no moments since the change. Sonika's "Bring Me to Life," La'Porsha's "No More Drama" / "Diamonds," Trent's "Chandelier," Maddie Poppe's "Brand New Key" / "Nothing Compares 2 U," Catie's "Once Upon a Dream" last year, and several others. I think the show since the move to ABC has been the best its been overall since Adam Lambert's season, before Paula and then Simon left, before the WGWG stinkers really hit their stride and we had terrible judges like DioGuardi, JLO, and Harry Connick, Jr. with horrible taste egging them on. Nearly all the contestants in the top 10-8 have a good measure of singing talent, even if some of them are not for me (Wade). I'm glad that, if the show really does end in a couple of years, at least I can enjoy it on its way out this time rather than how miserably it went out on FOX.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4

I was not surprised by the results last night.  I would have been surprised if any of the wild card contestants from last week - Alyssa, Uche, or Dimitrius - won.  They didn't get into the top 10 from a viewer vote, so I feel viewers weren't invested enough to keep them in.

My favorites have been Alejandro and Jeremiah, but I was disappointed by both their performances last night.  I thought Madison did very well, and Laine won the evening for me.  He picked a great song (I must be old because I remember that one too!) and has charisma as a performer.  Plus, he is really cute and I think the young girls who watch will be voting for him in droves.

I am ready for Wade to go home.

• Love 5

Okay, I know that I'm not up to speed to all of the ins and outs of revived American Idol, but I don't understand how Rebel Wilson is a mentor for the contestants.  Because of her singing?  Because of her acting?  Look, I like her but I don't particularly think she should be a mentor for contestants on a singing competition.  Having written that, I sincerely would like to know how they pick the mentor and what the purpose is for the mentors they choose.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, I know that I'm not up to speed to all of the ins and outs of revived American Idol, but I don't understand how Rebel Wilson is a mentor for the contestants.  Because of her singing?  Because of her acting?  Look, I like her but I don't particularly think she should be a mentor for contestants on a singing competition.  Having written that, I sincerely would like to know how they pick the mentor and what the purpose is for the mentors they choose.

My guess is she has a project on ABC to promote, that's pretty much their criteria at this point, or so it seems.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

My thinking for how out of proportion the auditions are compared to the top ten. Auditions give the judges more camera time. This show is barely a singing competition any longer. It’s a popularity contest with the judges in the running. 

I’m not a Luke fan, but he seems the only “judge” not so desperate to make it all about him. Katy is a has-been, as is Lionel. Only difference is Lionel was once something. Katy is her biggest fan. 

TV is desperate for cheap entertainment. And I’m just as desperate to watch this crap... hoping to hear a good singer. 

Word of the day. Desperate

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I completely agree. If ABC doesn't want to air the show for five months, then at least shorten the audition rounds to a couple weeks, one week for Hollywood and top 24 reveal, One or two weeks for semifinals, then let the top 10 sing, eliminating one per week until top 3. Why can't they do that?!?

Cost.  The live shows are more expensive to produce.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

It's a popularity contest and people are going to just lock in votes for their favorites no matter how they sing. 

That's pretty much always been true though. 

But I agree with everyone that the show sucks now. There's no time to become invested. The Voice has the same problem.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, twilightzone said:

Cost.  The live shows are more expensive to produce.

Really? More expensive than taking an entire tv crew on the road? Or sending everyone to the Aulani in Hawaii? I would think this is the cheapest part of the show. Maybe I am just ignorant, but every game show, and even their direct competition The Voice has a studio audience show for the entire season. It seems like a pretty cheap show to produce for ABC compared to any type of scripted show.

I think it's more trying to compete with the Voice. They made it very clear that they cared more about the judges than the contestants when they cast the current judges and mentors. The voice has always been about the coaches more than the contestants, and now so is Idol. The way they are eliminating the singers is also more like the Voice as well. They are not trying to find viable talent - they are just producing a show for TV. And yes, I know it's always been a show for TV, but when the original judges were on, it really felt like they were trying to find someone that could become a star. I know the landscape for music is different, but this platform has been rendered meaningless and the winner less special by the way they are winnowing them down, and the way to voting is being done.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Really? More expensive than taking an entire tv crew on the road? Or sending everyone to the Aulani in Hawaii? I would think this is the cheapest part of the show. Maybe I am just ignorant, but every game show, and even their direct competition The Voice has a studio audience show for the entire season. It seems like a pretty cheap show to produce for ABC compared to any type of scripted show.

I think it's more trying to compete with the Voice. They made it very clear that they cared more about the judges than the contestants when they cast the current judges and mentors. The voice has always been about the coaches more than the contestants, and now so is Idol. The way they are eliminating the singers is also more like the Voice as well. They are not trying to find viable talent - they are just producing a show for TV. And yes, I know it's always been a show for TV, but when the original judges were on, it really felt like they were trying to find someone that could become a star. I know the landscape for music is different, but this platform has been rendered meaningless and the winner less special by the way they are winnowing them down, and the way to voting is being done.

I totally agree with above post.  Thank you for saying what I was too lazy to type out :) 

One other thing: I HATE that ABC thinks their reality shows have to have super loud and have loud annoying audiences.  Poor Ryan was pretty much screaming over the screamers/arm wavers to announce who was up next!  Do they pay these people to act like that?  Maybe beat them before hand and threaten they won't make camera time (horrors!) if they don't act like they loooove everything and everyone on the show? These kids can't be that hyped to hear these contestants without some kind of motivation.  The super loud music so that I'm actually straining to hear if the singer is any good... the screaming of the audience, it feels like just too much hysteria.  It's one of the reasons I finally quit watching Dancing With The Stars.  Along with the show going in the dump, I got tired of hearing Tom Bergeron screaming himself hoarse to be heard over the continuous clapping and screaming of the near hysterical audience!  It's like ABC feels like they need to TELL us what is good tv.  I hate the thought of it... but I may be through with Idol,too.  Two of my very favorite shows just ruined by producer manipulation.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

The Live Shows are more expensive to produce than the auditions.  And it doesn't help that this is the lowest rated season ever.  Whether it's Idol or The Voice, these kind of shows have been on the downward for years with an aged demographic.  Idol was already cancelled once.  The whole looking for a star is thing of the past.  The last time Idol had a success story was in 2012. 

• Love 2

I'll be alone on this island saying Laine annoys the heck out of me. I think he views himself as young Elvis. And he doesn't open his mouth when he talks. His talent is overshadowed by this stuff for me.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, shipmate said:

I'll be alone on this island saying Laine annoys the heck out of me. I think he views himself as young Elvis. And he doesn't open his mouth when he talks. His talent is overshadowed by this stuff for me.

I'll join you on that island!  I see nothing new or exciting in Laine.  I think his whole aw shucks I'm a hunka hunka burnin love schtick is all he's got going on for him.  Will probably win out of this group of forgettables but will be forgotten himself in no time. 

• Love 8

Disney night is good for the young 'uns -- it's emotional depth they can manage. Next week, when we get back to singing grown-up songs, I don't think the high schoolers will do nearly so well.

Can I just say it really irked me to bring out Caleb onstage with Maddie? She won the show, not him, and nobody even knew they were dating until the finale last year. This is not a love story I was invested in. I loved Maddie as a winner -- I thought she was an amazing talent, with an innate ability to connect with a song. Caleb lost, and deservedly so. This isn't a Clay/Ruben situation -- stop trying to make whatever-Caleb-and-Maddie's-cutesy-couple-name-is happen.

(For the record, I have no problem with them dating, but I have a huge problem with the show treating them as equals, talent-wise, because I think Maddie is far and away more talented. She deserved her "winner moment" -- here and last year -- independent of whoever her boyfriend was.)

• Love 12

Some interesting song choices tonight...

Uche-He's definitely a performer and entertainer, but his vocals aren't strong enough for this show, IMO.

Laci-I don't know what it is, but I don't care for her.  Her voice isn't bad, it just doesn't do anything for me, either.

Alejandro-Good Lord, enough with the falsetto already. I feel like he's trying to get by on being kind of quirky-not sure how far that will take him.

Alyssa-That was good. I'll be surprised if she doesn't make it through tonight.

Katy's antics are really beginning to annoy me. The stuff with the seafood was just gross.

Lea Michele-I could do without the filler and have them just shorten the show, thanks.

Wade-He just showed that his voice is limited to certain kinds of songs.

Dimitrius-My first thought was "wth is he wearing?!"  When I saw his outfit, I thought he was going to sing "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan.  I had to mentally switch gears to what he was actually singing, which took me a second, then I realized he was singing it for his mom, which was cool.

Walker-His song choices may be his undoing.  This is the second week in a row that I don't think his song choice was all that great. He definitely has potential, though.

Caleb and Maddie-I like both of them, but that...wasn't good.  Again, could do without all the filler.

Madison-I was a little worried about her doing this song so soon after Raquel butchered it, but she did a really good job on it. She's in my personal top 3.

Laine-This performance made me smile.  Thank you, Rebel, for calling him out on the closed-mouth/lip thing!  I think Lionel was right about Laine finding his wheelhouse, but I do wish he (Laine) would quit looking so smug-it's a turnoff.

Jeremiah-He has a great voice, for sure, but I still just don't think this is the right platform for him. <shrug> 

When there were four left on stage, I would have picked Dimitrius over Wade. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I am on the Jeremiah train.  He voice is beautiful to me. 

And I am one of “those” viewers....a fun song (Laine and Wade) sung well will get my votes. 

Same for me. Actually, I'm starting to think I'm the only person who likes Wade and Laci, ha ha. His voice might be affected, but it doesn't bother me. I like those "crackly voices"as my 7-year-old says. 

• Love 1

Wade always sounds to me as if he’s got a mouth full of water. I keep trying to hear what people love about him, but it only takes a couple of notes for me to frantically hit the ff button.

I loved that Laine sang “Oo-De-Lally.” Partly because it was one of the few songs I recognized but mostly because he sounded good on it (and I’m not necessarily a fan).

Uche has been very hit-or-miss for me so I’m not surprised he got voted off. I liked Dimitrius and am sorry to see him leave, but I agree with the earlier comment about his outfit. I was so distracted by the...leash?...that I couldn’t really pay attention to his song.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Actually, I'm starting to think I'm the only person who likes Wade and Laci, ha ha. 

Wade and Laci are my two fave voices. I'm just already getting bored with them though, as I am the show in general.

12 hours ago, shipmate said:

I'll be alone on this island saying Laine annoys the heck out of me. 

12 hours ago, stcroix said:

I'll join you on that island!  I see nothing new or exciting in Laine. 

I think Laine is super generic and honestly he gives me a very fake vibe.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I feel like my opinion of the show differs a great deal from most of the other posters here. I love this group of judges, especially Katy Perry. They put on an act to entertain for the camera, but they've made good decisions (not advancing people to the top 14 because of sob stories, picking the three best wildcards they could, not wasting a Save this week on people who would just go next week anyway). The new format of cutting two a week has grown on me because we don't drag on and on to a result we already know is coming or get filler results shows anymore. I like having a top 3 finale because the vote divide means the female contestants actually have a shot to win this show again.

And I can't agree that there have been no moments since the change. Sonika's "Bring Me to Life," La'Porsha's "No More Drama" / "Diamonds," Trent's "Chandelier," Maddie Poppe's "Brand New Key" / "Nothing Compares 2 U," Catie's "Once Upon a Dream" last year, and several others. I think the show since the move to ABC has been the best its been overall since Adam Lambert's season, before Paula and then Simon left, before the WGWG stinkers really hit their stride and we had terrible judges like DioGuardi, JLO, and Harry Connick, Jr. with horrible taste egging them on. Nearly all the contestants in the top 10-8 have a good measure of singing talent, even if some of them are not for me (Wade). I'm glad that, if the show really does end in a couple of years, at least I can enjoy it on its way out this time rather than how miserably it went out on FOX.

You and I are at different ends of the spectrum on the judges. I think these judges are one of the worst judges on this show. The worst was the Mariah Carey and Niki Minaj fiasco. I never understood why people didn't like Kara DioGuardi. She knew music. She is a composer, songwriter, singer, and record producer. She didn't try to make things about her. She told it like it is. That's probably why people didn't like her I guess..lol! The judges of Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell were the best judges. You had a little bit of everything here. From pampering, making the contestant feel good from Paula, to Randy Jackson letting the contestant know when they were pitchy and just didn't bring it...Dawg, to the cruel, utterly true critiques of Simon Cowell. I miss all of that! But, I would settle for Harry Connick Jr. and Keith Urbin. They at least would provide constructive criticism. The current judges are probably told to give nothing but praise but I think it doesn't benefit the contestant. They don't know what they're weaknesses are! They believe they have arrived at stardom.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Demetrius and Uche should have stayed.  Uche for entertainment value alone.  I don't understand Walker, Laci, Ragu, or Alejandro.   Who doesn't know the Goofy Movie?  It was a perfect cast!

Edited by kelslamu
  • Love 1

Uche entertains but I find myself fast-forwarding through his performances.  It’s kind of an “all hat and no saddle” thing with me.  

I want to like Laci but I just don’t.  All her songs sound alike to me and it’s boring.  

As a singer, Alejandro is a terrific guitar player.  

For me, Alyssa and Madison kind of cancel each other out.  Madison clearly won the night as she’s a much better vocalist.  Her performance made Alyssa’s forgettable.

How on earth did Wade make it to top eight over Demetrius?  Who is voting for this guy? In spite of his distracting outfit, Demetrius did a good job.  Wade annoys me so I hit the FF.

Oh, Walker.  I like this kid so much but he’s making me nervous with his latest song choices.  Extremely talented, funny and likable so I hope he picks up his game next week.

In spite of the obvious audition fakery, Ole’ Laine is winning me over.  It started when he sang my all time favorite Elvis tune and “Oo-De-Lally” sealed the deal.  Great, fun song choice that reminded me of Maddie singing “Bare Necessities” last season.  I’m ok with a Laine win if that’s what happens.  

Speaking of Maddie, I was disappointed she wasn’t singing on her own.  No offense to the lovely Caleb but that duet didn’t work.

I would not have dreamed that any AI judge would make me miss Jennifer Lopez.  Congratulations, Katy Perry, you achieved the impossible.  

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, limecoke said:

Uche entertains but I find myself fast-forwarding through his performances.  It’s kind of an “all hat and no saddle” thing with me.  

I want to like Laci but I just don’t.  All her songs sound alike to me and it’s boring.  

As a singer, Alejandro is a terrific guitar player.  

For me, Alyssa and Madison kind of cancel each other out.  Madison clearly won the night as she’s a much better vocalist.  Her performance made Alyssa’s forgettable.

How on earth did Wade make it to top eight over Demetrius?  Who is voting for this guy? In spite of his distracting outfit, Demetrius did a good job.  Wade annoys me so I hit the FF.

Oh, Walker.  I like this kid so much but he’s making me nervous with his latest song choices.  Extremely talented, funny and likable so I hope he picks up his game next week.

In spite of the obvious audition fakery, Ole’ Laine is winning me over.  It started when he sang my all time favorite Elvis tune and “Oo-De-Lally” sealed the deal.  Great, fun song choice that reminded me of Maddie singing “Bare Necessities” last season.  I’m ok with a Laine win if that’s what happens.  

Speaking of Maddie, I was disappointed she wasn’t singing on her own.  No offense to the lovely Caleb but that duet didn’t work.

I would not have dreamed that any AI judge would make me miss Jennifer Lopez.  Congratulations, Katy Perry, you achieved the impossible.  

Loved your entire post but this gem had me rofl..." As a singer, Alejandro is a terrific guitar player."

I wholeheartedly agree.

But have to add he seems like a sweet young man.

• Love 3

So I had detailed notes on each contestant all written out, but I wasn't feeling it, so here are the basics:

I hate Disney night, I hate most Disney songs, and I hate Katy Perry's narcissistic need to be the center of attention.  I also didn't really get the point of having Rebel Wilson as a mentor, but since I fast-forwarded through most of the second hour (must watch GOT live), it didn't really matter.

Most of the contestants were not having their best night.  I wasn't all that impressed with anyone, and would've kept Dimitrius over Alyssa (who has a good voice but is bland as hell), but really, Laine is clearly winning this (and should), so I don't really care.  The Top 8 are okay, mostly.

I don't care for this format.  It makes it even more "vote for your favorite" rather than "vote for the best performances", but it's really always been that way so whatever.  Hate that the judges' save is back, but I knew that neither Dimitrius nor Uche was going to get it.  They're saving that sucker for Alyssa or Alejandro.

So, really, this week was a boring waste of time for me, mostly.

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:07 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

Hmm. I was bored during Laci’s and Alyssa’s performances. I am never bored during Uche’s. Oh well. 

And why would the judges criticize Uche for an obscure song choice but no one else? Who ever heard that song from Lane before? 

Lots of us, but maybe only those over a certain age who remember Robin Hood.  But I agree that some of the other choices were almost as obscure as Uche's, and his didn't really warrant the criticism.

On ‎04‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

I have to wonder what people are hearing that they want to keep the likes of Laci and Walker over Dimitrius. He outsang half the field tonight by a country mile - only Madison and Jeremiah were close.  I am salty but I can't blame the judges for not wanting to save the same person twice.

I preferred Laci's performance to Dimitrius' - I like her voice much better - but he definitely should've stayed over Wade.

On ‎04‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

I don't know if it was a mic issue or an artistic choice, but I could not hear one word Laci was warbling and I caught half of Alejandro's lyrics.

I had that problem with several singers.  I'm thinking it was a mixing issue, because I could hear the band just fine.

On ‎04‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:36 PM, ECM1231 said:

Rebel suggested Lacy belt it out but it did not seem she took the advice. Her voice is unique but not sure there is much power behind it.

Laci is definitely not a belter.  Which is fine with me.  Not everyone has to be a belter.

Jeremiah disappointed this week. Who was Katy kidding about him hitting that high note at the end?

That note was rank.

And now I am gonna duck from the thrown tomatoes. Still have no idea what the judges and audience are hearing when Alejandro performs. Horrible performance, imho. His voice is very high- pitched and unpleasant to my ears. His singing seemed even worse this week.

I thought he was pretty bad as well.

On ‎04‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:00 AM, mamadrama said:

"Candle on the Water" is my favorite Disney song, just as the original Pete's Dragon is my favorite movie.

That's one of the few Disney songs I actually like, but I don't think Jeremiah did a good job of it.  He's no Helen Reddy, that's for sure.

On ‎04‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, cinsays said:

That duet from the past season's winner and runner-up was really awful.  Talk about no emotion.  Glad I sat that season out.  This season's contestants all were more appealing than those 2.

That duet was not a good example of either Maddy's ability or Caleb's.  Maddy in particular was excellent last year, better than anyone in this Top Ten.

• Love 2

America got the eliminations right and the judges finally made a good move in not using the save option. America could've chosen Walker and Wade and that would've been ok also.

Wade - Terrible...again! I actually thought this song suited him....kind of. I just see what the judges see or hear in his voice. It's terrible! Plain and simple.

Walker - Simon Cowell, "You are very forgettable". That's probably what he would say and I would agree with him.

Alejandro - He probably is a likeable guy but a good singer he is not! I much rather hear him play the guitar.

Dimitrius - Calling Randy Jackson! " I don't know dawg. You were pitchy all over the place. It just didn't do it for me dawg"!

Uche - He can entertain. He can move the audience. But at some point this competition was going to have to focus on the singing aspect of this show. Uche just didn't have a strong enough voice to stay afloat with the other good singers.

Laci - She has a type of sound that a lot of young people will like and relate to. But she hasn't been spectacular or had "that moment". I don't know if she has that in her.

Laine - Sooner or later Laine is going to have to shed his Elvis persona! When he does, what will he have? What will we see? He is a good singer, I remember him last year, but we might never see the real Laine until it's too late.

Alyssa - She is a very good singer. I just don't like her attitude. A bit annoying and arrogant to me. But I'm focusing on her singing. If she continues to choose the right songs, she'll be in the thick of things.

Jeremiah - A bit predictable but very affective. He has a great voice, probably the best male voice on the show. He will certainly be one of the favorites moving forward.

Madison - She has it all compared to the others. Great voice. Great personality. Seems humble. stage presence. Very attractive. She chooses the right songs every time so far. She won't be doing Sir Duke anytime soon ala Ashley Hess.

The judges have basically ruined this show. The judges don't judge, they just throw out positive darts at these contestants. No constructive criticism. Nothing that could help the going forward. Every contestant feels and thinks that they are a star in the making or have already arrived. It's the everyone gets a blue ribbon syndrome. I would gladly welcome back Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. They at least let them know when they were off key, or pitchy. I would certainly get rid of Katy Perry. Lol...I thought JLo was awful!    

• Love 1
On 4/23/2019 at 1:09 PM, rr2911 said:

I never understood why people didn't like Kara DioGuardi. She knew music. She is a composer, songwriter, singer, and record producer. She didn't try to make things about her. She told it like it is. That's probably why people didn't like her I guess..lol! 

Because she saw the female contestants as direct competition to her and fawned all over the young white male contestants.

Katy may do the latter, but she does not do the former.  I hated Kara more than any other judge or host I've ever seen on a reality show except for Simon Lythgoe.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, stcroix said:

I see nothing new or exciting in Laine.  

I think both a half Asian male heartthrob and a half Asian male rocker are both things that come way too few and far between.

Rebel Wilson was a waste on this show.  I also saw her on Million Dollar Listing New York where I firmly believe she was there to waste Fredrik Ekland's time and promote herself.  She showed NO interest in any properties - probably because she couldn't afford them.  She was the same here.  I saw her finally give advice to one contestant.  To all the others, she made cracks.  Pointless.   I couldn't believe they didn't get a real singer to mentor.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think both a half Asian male heartthrob and a half Asian male rocker are both things that come way too few and far between.

But Laine really doesn't identify himself as Asian.  If anything, he's a good ole boy from the South.

• Love 5

If that were true then wouldn't he hide his Asian mother instead of having her on the show every episode?   And apparently he talked about being Asian on Uche's Instagram. I Googled it, and some imply that he's a quarter Asian, but regardless, he's walking around being part Asian and not hiding it whatsoever.  I'm multiracial myself so the implications here is strange to me.  We don't walk around naming our races to everyone we come into contact with - we just walk around being human beings just like everyone else.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

We don't walk around naming our races to everyone we come into contact with - we just walk around being human beings just like everyone else.

Then why claim:

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

Then why claim:

What do you mean claim?  In North America, it's totally the truth.  And it's something I pay a lot of attention to as the representation matters to me.  Looking at Laine, I knew he was part Asian before we found out for sure.  He is part Asian, it's just a fact.  That's enough for representation.

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

…..scratching my head...…  I had no idea he was half Asian, that part of the equation really doesn't matter to me.  I love Bruno Mars and isn't he part Asian? But then I think Bruno Mars puts on a great show and can sing. In Laines case I think he puts on an o.k. show and has a mediocre voice.  No offense meant by my original comment : )  No matter what Laine's ethnic makeup is, I don't think he's 'Idol' material. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, stcroix said:

…..scratching my head...…  I had no idea he was half Asian, that part of the equation really doesn't matter to me.  I love Bruno Mars and isn't he part Asian? But then I think Bruno Mars puts on a great show and can sing. In Laines case I think he puts on an o.k. show and has a mediocre voice.  No offense meant by my original comment : )  No matter what Laine's ethnic makeup is, I don't think he's 'Idol' material. 

This!  There is nothing interesting or unique about Plain Laine.  And the phony audition was obviously a set-up. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Because she saw the female contestants as direct competition to her and fawned all over the young white male contestants.

Katy may do the latter, but she does not do the former.  I hated Kara more than any other judge or host I've ever seen on a reality show except for Simon Lythgoe.

Well, I guess we both saw different shows then. Direct competition in what way? Kara is mainly a songwriter and record producer. She hardly sings anymore. But, oh well. 🙂

Up until around the Top 40 or so, I thought this was the best season ever, then it really dropped off. It seemed like the group as a whole was better than everyone on their own and that became a lot more apparent as the fat keeps getting trimmed.

I'm not really familiar with any of these Disney songs, so that of course affects my enjoyment, but I don't think many of them are that great of songs anyways. Some of them are so boring and dreadful, I really have to wonder if the contestants themselves have any say in what song they pick or if it is all up to the producers. Since only maybe 2 of the songs performed are ones I've heard of, saying "WTF song is this?!" is a moot point, so I won't mention it.

Uche - Some people say the second performance of the night is the worst spot to be in, but I've always thought the first performance is, since it never has a very powerful vibe; it always seems like it's a toe tapper or before they start singing "Come on y'all!" and the audience starts clapping, followed by judge commentary of "What a great way to kick off the show". Uche was my favorite because he was actually different from everyone else and had a lot of energy, so it sucks that he's gone - I don't know why the voting audience didn't want him around.

Wade - I don't remember the order they performed in, so I'll just write whoever I remember next. I like metal and would much prefer if he sounded like he needed an exorcism when singing instead of using that raspy voice, it's awful. I've heard the song he sang and I am not a fan. I can't remember liking any performances of his, though I don't think I have really outright hated any either. He'd be a lot better if he'd stop doing that voice - also, much to the producers' credit, it seems they've eased off on his sob story about "muh Mom" as much.

Laci - The lack of memorable performances this season makes me scratch my head in terms of what she's performed all of the other shows. I think she's alright, but pretty forgettable, so I would expect her to be eliminated next week.

Laine - In the segments of him in his hometown or just talking in general, he seems pretty likeable, despite being somewhat hard to understand. The song choice was absolutely abysmal, though; I thought for sure he was going to be going home, though he probably has a lot of votes from young girls and old women.

Alejandro - For the first two or three performances I thought he was pretty good, but when it became obvious he was getting his ass kissed on-camera and positioned to be the favorite, all my fandom disappeared - whenever everyone jumps on the bandwagon of anything/anyone, I feel the same way. Also, that falsetto is getting really grating to listen to.

Alyssa - She's a total dollface and has a likeable personality (those are separate things), though I don't really think she's had any really memorable performances, they're decent at least.

Walker - This guy screams "nerd" in everything he does. It's not just a matter of his appearance, since Clay Aiken wouldn't win an award for manly toughness either, but he had a powerful voice. I've found every performance of his boring.

Dimitrius - He's had a lot of good performances, especially that Billie Eilish song last week, but he has a painful lack of personality, to the point where he couldn't emote when being saved by Luke. His interview segments made him look really boring, which is a shame, since he was a great singer.

Jeremiah - His original song is really good, but he's probably the person I like the least, mainly because every performance has to start off with another vignette of "I am gay and my family doesn't approve" - ENOUGH ALREADY! I thought America's Got Talent was king of milking sob stories, but Idol is really catching up.

Madison - It's rare when I like someone just because they're a really good singer, but I like her a fair bit. I still play her performance of All I Ask pretty often, since it's so emotional. Not knowing any Disney songs affects my opinion, since I don't even remember how her song went, but she's good.

Caleb and Maddie - Since the audience investment in the contestants drops harder than an Enron stock when the season is over, it's no surprise they have nothing better to do than hover around this season in hopes of getting a resurgence of interest. I hate the idea of the "Idol couple" since Caleb coming in second place automatically makes him not equal.

I'm surprised there weren't more comments about Katy being annoying as hell - she's irritating every week, but she really turned it up a notch. I'm glad the audience laughter is extremely minimal most of the time, because her idea of humor is throwing things like a baby or running away. It's incredible how she could make me feel nostalgic for Ellen Degeneres.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

So here's my two cents, short and sweet:

Madison - one of my favorites. Since they voted off two of my favorites (Demetrius and Uche), I'll settle for her if she wins.

Walker - kinda rooting for him since I'm from Alabama too, but he just doesn't blow me away.

Jeremiah - he's got a nice voice, but I don't view him as my new American Idol.

Wade - ugh. I absolutely HATE his low, gravely, think-I-sound-sexy-but-I'm-actually-repulsive voice. Please go NOW!

Laci - just no

Laine - adorable with a melodic voice, but too smug for me.

Alejandro - I don't get all the hype.

Alyssa - sounds nice enough but is in no way competition  to someone like Madison

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/22/2019 at 1:04 AM, Ilovepie said:

Walker - just awful. That song is so sad, and it’s heart wrenching when Sarah Maclachlan sings it. It was so boring and sanitary the way he sang it - just no emotional depth. 

I haven't watched Toy Story 2 in years, but in my head I heard Sarah McLachlan's voice singing the song and Walker just...did not come close to even remotely scratching the surface of the incredible emotion Sarah sang the song with. That song is about longing, and Walker just didn't connect at all.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:08 AM, cinsays said:

That duet from the past season's winner and runner-up was really awfulTalk about no emotion

How is it that a couple singing together have absolutely no emotional connection to each other?! Aren't they engaged? I didn't watch last season but recently read some gossip about two Idol alum being engaged and rushing the wedding because they're both uber-Christian and basically cannot wait much longer to have sex. If that performance was any indication of their chemistry, the wedding night is probably going to be a huge let-down.

I'm sorry Dimitrius was eliminated, but I'm so happy he at least got to have his day at Disneyland with his mom beforehand. And hopefully his mom waa in the audience for his performance. But I honestly just think a majority of the Idol-watching audience could not connect with a black boy from Baltimore with facial tattoos. It's a sad reality of the country we live in today. I think that's similar to why Uche got the boot, too. He was too flamboyant and the majority of the viewing audience just didn't get him. But I hope the exposure from this show helps move their music careers along. Dimitrius does not belong working retail.

I was confused by Alejandro, only because when he sang for Rebel Wilson he had an EDM-ish backing track playing on his phone. I thought that would have made for an interesting rendition of "Remember Me," so was kinda disappointed when that wasn't how he performed it in the live show.

I LOVED Madison's performance, but was distracted by the fancy black dress in front of an island backdrop. Like...they couldn't find a slightly more island-ish dress that would better go with the overall theme? So weird.

I finally figured out who Jeremiah reminds me of when he sings: the lead singer of Simply Red. There's a unique quality to his voice, almost like a kind of vibrato, which the SR guy had as well. Listen to this, particularly at the 2:52ish mark where he goes for a higher note, and tell me you don't hear a similar sound from Jeremiah.

https://youtu.be/yG07WSu7Q9w

• Love 1
22 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I didn't watch last season but recently read some gossip about two Idol alum being engaged and rushing the wedding because they're both uber-Christian and basically cannot wait much longer to have sex. If that performance was any indication of their chemistry, the wedding night is probably going to be a huge let-down.

That was a different couple (at least two romantic pairings came out of last year's finalists).  I wonder if that was why Katy was pushing Laci and Laine together, because they're hoping for some romantic icing in the finale.

• Love 1