Type keyword(s) to search

Motown 60: A Grammy Celebration (CBS) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, topanga said:

Just curious--when they show footage from prior shows, will MJs moonwalk from Motown 25 still be part of the clip package?

I think they will. Though I put Stevie much higher than MJ and Diana Ross. I think he deserves respect for his talent. He turned a disability into a gift. How many did that? And no biopics on Stevie Wonder? He deserves recognition.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I think they will. Though I put Stevie much higher than MJ and Diana Ross. I think he deserves respect for his talent. He turned a disability into a gift. How many did that? And no biopics on Stevie Wonder? He deserves recognition.

I agree about Stevie. I remember as a kid reading a story about his mom giving him his first harmonica. I would love to hear his entire life story. 

So you don’t think Motown wants to distance itself from adult Michael Jackson, given the HBO documentary?

3 minutes ago, topanga said:

I agree about Stevie. I remember as a kid reading a story about his mom giving him his first harmonica. I would love to hear his entire life story. 

So you don’t think Motown wants to distance itself from adult Michael Jackson, given the HBO documentary?

I really don't know. We have to see how they will do this.

• Love 3

So far, I'm just not feelin' this.  I mean, Ciara singing "Super Freak"?  Just no. 

Something just seems "off" and flat about this show.  I'll watch a bit longer and then I'll probably bail. 

46 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

So far, I'm just not feelin' this.  I mean, Ciara singing "Super Freak"?  Just no. 

Something just seems "off" and flat about this show.  I'll watch a bit longer and then I'll probably bail. 

Probably because most of the songs are not sung by the original artists except for Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson. Understandable of course, but ☹️

J-Lo? Ugh.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Probably because most of the songs are not sung by the original artists except for Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson. Understandable of course, but ☹️

J-Lo? Ugh.

Yeah, most of the artists are no longer with us, but these younger artists can't seem to do the songs justice.   

This is no Motown 25, that's for sure.  Maybe they should have left it at that.

• Love 3

Interesting article.  I can't believe they didn't invite Duke Fakir of the Four Tops.  I hope it turns out he just didn't want to or didn't feel like coming. 

I'm old enough to remember that back in the day, the guys I knew thought Mary Wilson was hot, not Diana Ross. 

Oh well, looks like I'll just stick with it until the bitter end since there's nothing else that I want to watch. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3
(edited)

My guess based on the HBO Leaving Neverland documentary, they only showed brief clips of the Jacksons and MJ all in five seconds due to the allegations already fresh in their minds. I would not be surprised if Berry had the final say in that. I wonder what the Jacksons think about that. They uttered not one word about MJ or the Jacksons.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 3

The first 25 minutes recorded sound but no picture which was disappointing. It was nice to see Smokey, the man can still sing, and I find his eyes mesmerizing. 

I thought Ne-yo did a good job singing. 

I'm just sad so many of these greats are gone. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Interesting article.  I can't believe they didn't invite Duke Fakir of the Four Tops.  I hope it turns out he just didn't want to or didn't feel like coming. 

I'm old enough to remember that back in the day, the guys I knew thought Mary Wilson was hot, not Diana Ross. 

Oh well, looks like I'll just stick with it until the bitter end since there's nothing else that I want to watch. 

I never understood the fascination of Diana Ross. I don't want to sound negative, but I never found her to be attractive.  Mary Wells, Tammi Tarrell, and Mary Wilson were much better looking than her. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 6

Even if people thought it was a little flat, I enjoyed hearing all my oldies. I  thought it was nice that Berry Gordy could be honored again ( after all, he probably won’t be around a whole lot longer, though I admit, he looked good).  It was sad how many we’ve lost but after all, with a run of 60 years it’s understandable.

• Love 4

Berry Gordy does look great for 89, and I have to admit that Diana Ross singing "My Man" to him made me kind of teary eyed.  But that performance, Stevie Wonder, Smokey, Ne-Yo wasn't bad, and the In Memoriam were the only things I enjoyed about the show.  

Otherwise, it was a two hour disappointment.  

• Love 1

I saw Motown the Musical last year which is why I was excited to watch this. Had I not, I wouldn't have known who Berry Gordy was and just how inspiring his story and legacy are. I feel blessed to be able to watch him and see him on my TV screen. Yeah, it felt a little flat because so many of the original singers are gone and we couldn't see them perform their own songs, but it was still good. I don't regret watching this at all. 

On 4/21/2019 at 9:16 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I didn’t know Cissy Houston had great legs! Damn! So far they only show clips of the Jackson 5 and MJ. Does that count?

Couldn't let this one go. That was Thelma Houston with the great legs, singing Don't Leave Me This Way. Her song and Stevie and Smokey showed what was really disappointing with this show, most of the original artists are dead. Seeing younger "contemporary" artists sing those Motown classics highlighted just how talented the original singers were.

I enjoyed the show but felt a bit let down. And talking about Motown and not talking about the Jacksons is odd, even though I understand why.

10 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

Couldn't let this one go. That was Thelma Houston with the great legs, singing Don't Leave Me This Way. Her song and Stevie and Smokey showed what was really disappointing with this show, most of the original artists are dead. Seeing younger "contemporary" artists sing those Motown classics highlighted just how talented the original singers were.

I enjoyed the show but felt a bit let down. And talking about Motown and not talking about the Jacksons is odd, even though I understand why.

Thanks! I always use to do that. I use to confuse those two a lot.