Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Solana & Elijah

(edited)

I just want to know what happened to Joshua.  I don't know what I was expecting to come up those stairs, but I'm pretty sure it involved Joshua, a wig, and skinny jeans.  I was half right (but I still won't be convinced that it's not Joshua until I see them on camera together).

Edit:  On the Aftershow they showed us his mom, his dad, his younger brother, but still no Joshua.  Where on Earth did Joshua go?!

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 5

I wondered where Joshua went as well. He just disappeared. I was sort of hoping he was going to come up the stairs in a wig and skinny jeans, mainly for Nev and Max's reaction. 

I wasn't watching that closely, but did they ever say why Elijah said that he could be contacted through email and Skype on his YouTube channel? Or that he even had a YouTube channel when he said that he did not have a webcam? Were the videos that Nev and Max found old or something?

• Love 2
(edited)

I was so proud of Solana for choosing her supportive boyfriend back home over weird little wig with legs Elijah who lives in his parents' basement. Does he have a job, or does he just fix his hair, skateboard, and post on YouTube all day? It doesn't seem like he has much to offer, and don't get me started on him being an "internet celebrity." Solana seems like a nice girl, probably a little young to be rushing to get married (if you didn't watch the aftershow- she revealed that she and Danny went to the courthouse and got hitched shortly after she returned home). I hope things work out for her.

Edited by adventureland
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wondered where Joshua went as well. He just disappeared. I was sort of hoping he was going to come up the stairs in a wig and skinny jeans, mainly for Nev and Max's reaction. 

I wasn't watching that closely, but did they ever say why Elijah said that he could be contacted through email and Skype on his YouTube channel? Or that he even had a YouTube channel when he said that he did not have a webcam? Were the videos that Nev and Max found old or something?

I don't remember the timelines for the relationship but I went to his YT channel and that Christina Grimmie video is 3 years old. The most recent video was from 10 months ago.https://www.youtube.com/user/elijahprok/videos

Edited by Sugarsprinkles
  • Love 1

Add me to the people who thought it was going to be Joshua in a wig coming up the stairs, in fact, I'm still not convinced that hair isn't a wig, there's just too much of it. I'm really surprised that Elijah turned out to be just who he said he was though, right down to not being able to call or skype. That never happens on this show.

• Love 4
(edited)

IIRC, Elijah said he had a laptop but that broke. Then he had camera, which is how he made the YouTube video but, at some point, he had to sell the camera to pay for rent. Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 2

Apparently,a lot of people on Twitter are wondering abou Joshua. The only reason I don't think he's Elijah is that Joshua's build had more bulk to it. Elijah,despite the silly hair or wig,actually seemed like a nice dude. I've known guys like him and they are just on their own path. And if he's okay with Solana getting married so soon and still remaining friends I think it says a lot about his character.

• Love 2

SO glad other people were all 'Where the hell is Joshua?'  We rewound several times, thinking Joshua/Elijah were the same guy - body types were different, and looked like Joshua was taller - and the nose was different.  Still think it was a wig, but just don't think Joshua could trim down THAT much.

So...Elijah can't afford a phone, but he can afford a tat?  He can't afford to keep a camera, but he can afford a skateboard?  While seemingly a very sweet guy...I gather personal fiscal responsibility is not a life skill he's acquired yet.

Nice to see, though, a 'Catfish' episode that had a bizarre story that actually turned out to be true.

• Love 1
(edited)

First episode that I was actually on the edge of my seat. When Joshua went down to the basement, the WTF looks on Nev, max and Solana were hilarious. I too thought it might be Joshua in a wig, but nope, it was a skinny little dude with lots of hair who lived in mom dad;s basement and likes to skateboard (badly) and get tattoos.He was the epitiome of unmotivated, in that is so many years, he didn't even want to work toward a real phone or a new computer. I guess that basement room and the other teen guys at the skateboard park were enough for him. I watched the aftershow and talk about zero chemistry. Solana barely looked at him. Too bad she made the mistake of getting a big ass "friendship tattoo" 

Now that the reveal is over, I'm firmly convinced that Joshua was was totally on a reconnaisance mission. He was supposed to check out Solana and report to Elijah before he went upstairs. I can just imagine it went something like

Joshua: They're upstairs

Elijah:  So is she hot?

Joshua: yeah she's cute

Elijah: She isn't fat?

Joshua: Nope

Elijah: Cool. Help me fluff my hair before I go up

For a while I thought that Elijah Plok was some kind of internet joke that I know nothing about. Like, hey man, let's Elijah Plok that girl. I still think there was something weird about the multiple facebook profiles. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 11

I'm still not convinced Elijah's hair isn't a wig. It was just way too perfect looking and didn't look real, and I have never seen a guy with hair like that. And add me to the list of people who are confused that he can afford ink, but not a cell phone or a laptop. Has he not heard of Straight Talk? That shit is super cheap, and you just pay as you go. They must not have a Walmart in his town.

• Love 1

So...Elijah can't afford a phone, but he can afford a tat?  He can't afford to keep a camera, but he can afford a skateboard?  While seemingly a very sweet guy...I gather personal fiscal responsibility is not a life skill he's acquired yet.

I don't think choosing to spend your money elsewhere besides a phone or a camera makes you not fiscally responsible.  Cameras and phones aren't exactly necessities.  And he said he sold the camera to pay for rent...which sounds pretty fiscally responsible to me.

• Love 3

Wordy McWord to everybody who thought that Joshua was going to come back up dressed up like Elijah. I was expecting something crazy to happen, like Solana hugging Elijah and accidentally knocking off his wig or something like that. I know that Elijah was the real deal--he's too small to be Joshua all dressed up---but I was still expecting something insane to happen. Alas, it did not.

I was giving the sideeye to Solana when she announced on "Chatfish" that she and Danny got married two weeks after filming. I wish them nothing but luck and happiness, but I can't help shaking the feeling that Solana really rushed into things way too fast. She's only eighteen, has just met the guy she was talking to for the last six years, and was clearly conflicted about whether or not to pursue something with Elijah. I'm glad she didn't, because they had no chemistry and he seemed too immature and responsible (though a nice guy nonetheless). But just because she decided Elijah wasn't the one doesn't mean she had to rush off and marry Danny. I know that sounds mean, but I think Solana really didn't think things through. I still hope she and Danny have many years of success and happiness.

• Love 1

Now that the reveal is over, I'm firmly convinced that Joshua was was totally on a reconnaisance mission. He was supposed to check out Solana and report to Elijah before he went upstairs.

I had a different take. I figured that the delay in opening the door was because Joshua went downstairs to tell Elijah something like "hey dude, you need to get out of bed; they're here", and what followed were more or less stalling tactics and Joshua going back down to make sure Elijah was really ready for the cameras before coming up. Having said that, I think Elijah probably did ask, and Joshua did tell him, about what Solana looked like.

I'm really surprised that Elijah turned out to be just who he said he was though, right down to not being able to call or skype. That never happens on this show.

OTOH, he did turn out to be a loser; he just never said he wasn't. Good for Solana to take a pass on this guy.

I was holding out for the reveal that Joshua was really Elijah with a wig and painted on beard.

He wasn't???

I still don't know what I watched last night.  I'm sitting here with my first cup of coffee of the day, still bleary-eyed and trying to wrap my mind about this episode.

That dude was definitely one of the oldest-looking 20 year olds I think I've ever seen and that hair?  As a woman who adores long hair on men, just...No.  It looked like a cheap wig from the Walmart holiday aisle.

And no fucking way this body is getting tatted to match some assclown who disappeared for years and then reentered my life, after having only heard his voice once in that entire time.

This entire episode was one gigantic WTF moment for my overworked brain.  Ugh.  

• Love 5

I trust that it's his real hair but it really did look like a wig.  I thought it was Josh when he came up the stairs and when they all said "its really you!"  I was all "huh, what?? are they blind??"  lol  He needs to step away from the black hair dye and hair straightener.

So glad she chose her currently BF. if she would have chosen Elijah I would have hoped someone would have punched her in the face. 

OTOH, he did turn out to be a loser; he just never said he wasn't. Good for Solana to take a pass on this guy.

Yet, she went and got a tattoo in honor of them being best friends. I was really hoping she'd back out of that decision. 

(edited)

What a shock that Elijah was who he said he was but what's up with that hair?  LOL  I'm glad she went back to her bf.  Like the other posters mentioned, he has no money for computer, cell phone, etc. but has money for tats?  SMH

Edited by Frisco

Yet, she went and got a tattoo in honor of them being best friends. I was really hoping she'd back out of that decision. 

I was surprised she went for it, too. She looked so unsure when Elijah started rambling about getting tattoos together. I think it was at that moment when Solana was realizing that this guy wasn't for her at all. I still don't know why she did it because it didn't seem like they were close friends at all. Looking at them interact in person, you wouldn't know they had been talking for the last five years. That's how awkward they were together.

• Love 3

I was surprised she went for it, too. She looked so unsure when Elijah started rambling about getting tattoos together. I think it was at that moment when Solana was realizing that this guy wasn't for her at all. I still don't know why she did it because it didn't seem like they were close friends at all. Looking at them interact in person, you wouldn't know they had been talking for the last five years. That's how awkward they were together.

Exactly! The face she made when he proposed they get tattoos together made me think she wasn't into the idea or him at all. Maybe, she felt that she had to but I don't understand why. Especially, when Elijah dropped out of her life for a few years, and when he returned they only texted back and forth, no phone conversations or Skype. How close could they have been? They appeared (her more so than him) awkward around each other, and I wasn't getting this read of a deep emotional connection off of them. It's why I found her going along with getting the tattoo weird, and I was hoping a moment of common sense would kick her in the ass and she'd back out. We'll at least she doesn't have to look at it everyday. She can pretend it isn't there. I watched a bit of 'Chatfish' the after show and they didn't look anymore comfortable with each other than previously. He seemed to be on another planet and she didn't appear into being there.

• Love 1

They appeared (her more so than him) awkward around each other, and I wasn't getting this read of a deep emotional connection off of them. It's why I found her going along with getting the tattoo weird, and I was hoping a moment of common sense would kick her in the ass and she'd back out. We'll at least she doesn't have to look at it everyday.

On "Chatfish", Solana said something about how her husband likes her tattoo more than she does. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I got the impression that doesn't really care for the tattoo and may regret getting it, especially since it supposedly represents a deep friendship that Solana may realize isn't as deep as she once thought. That's just how I took it, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was really hoping Joshua was going to come back up the stairs in a shaggy beard and fake piercings. I was so thinking that was the turn the show was going to take. I do think Elijah was wearing a wig though. The hair was just too perfect. I don't think it's a big deal he didn't have a cellphone. I wouldn't have a cellphone if my employer didn't pay for it. I also don't think it's a big deal he lived in his parent's basement. Didn't he say he was 20?

Solana was an idiot for getting tatted with Elijah, but otherwise, she seemed sweet.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Yeah, I gotta agree on Elijah looking old. I kept waiting for him to throw his wig off and be like, "Surprise! I'm a 35 year old accountant who has a scene-kid alter ego online!". I think the hair didn't work because it didn't match his face at all. I'm not a fan of that particular hairstyle (I like long hair on guys, but not that swoop/hair-all-up-in-your-face thing), but I've seen it on other people and it just looked really off on Elijah. Also, no one should have the same haircut as they did when they were 13.

• Love 4

On "Chatfish", Solana said something about how her husband likes her tattoo more than she does. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I got the impression that doesn't really care for the tattoo and may regret getting it, especially since it supposedly represents a deep friendship that Solana may realize isn't as deep as she once thought. That's just how I took it, though.

That's how I took it as well. She got caught up in the moment/felt pressured to do so. Although, she really shouldn't have felt obligated to get inked for some guy she really didn't know. It probably hit her like a sack of potatoes that she made a mistake with getting that tattoo because things between the two of them looked far from being deep. They couldn't even look at each other on the after show. I did enjoy Max's smirking face throughout the awkwardness of interviewing those two. 

Yeah, I gotta agree on Elijah looking old. I kept waiting for him to throw his wig off and be like, "Surprise! I'm a 35 year old accountant who has a scene-kid alter ego online!". I think the hair didn't work because it didn't match his face at all. I'm not a fan of that particular hairstyle (I like long hair on guys, but not that swoop/hair-all-up-in-your-face thing), but I've seen it on other people and it just looked really off on Elijah. Also, no one should have the same haircut as they did when they were 13.

YES!!!!!!  Besides the atrocity of that thing on his head, he just looked so damned...OLD.  I'd peg him at around 30 if I were to see him on the street, even with the attempts to cover half of his face with his hair (and didn't this Emo Fall Out Boy look go out at least 5 years ago?).

That's how I took it as well. She got caught up in the moment/felt pressured to do so. Although, she really shouldn't have felt obligated to get inked for some guy she really didn't know. It probably hit her like a sack of potatoes that she made a mistake with getting that tattoo because things between the two of them looked far from being deep. They couldn't even look at each other on the after show. I did enjoy Max's smirking face throughout the awkwardness of interviewing those two. 

They were so emotionally intertwined that she didn't even know he had a YouTube channel after all of those years of communicating and sharing everything.  

Ye gads.  

I knew I'd find clarity on these boards today.  Am I relieved to see I'm not the only one who practically gave myself whiplash shaking my head at this episode.  

• Love 1

I felt like Elijah was more into having a friendship than Solana was. She just seemed so awkward around him, whereas I got the impression that he was more outgoing with pursing a friendship now they knew the other one was real. He seemed like a nice guy, and I was glad that he didn't try to take their relationship to a romantic level or ask for Solana to come back/ stay in Minnesota. He was a decent guy, all things considering. I do wonder if their friendship will continue after this. They did say on the after-show that they weren't able to talk as much as they used to because they were both "busy".

• Love 2

I could see him thinking a phone isn't important, especially if he has the ability to text from his ipod (I had NO idea you could do that with those!).  Kids his age don't want to talk on the phone and if someone needs to call him they likely call his parent's house. But I imagine he'd have to be near wifi a lot to get text on the ipod.  But even that's not real hard to do these days.  He's probably really smart for not getting a phone and only being available via text!  Unless of course someone calls him for a job...

I think the initial interaction was put together by MTV or whomever scopes out these situations before Nev and Max get there.  They probably told them to have Josh answer the door, come out and close the door - then go back in and get Elijah - but make sure you stay down there just long enough for everyone to get creeped out!

When I first saw Elijah I thought for a split second it was Chris Lilley trying out a new character for the next installment of Angry Boys. The hair wouldn't have looked so weird if he had gone with the color or the cut, not both. Pretty surprised she got married so quickly after the show. It's a little weird to be too young to participate in the champagne toast at your own wedding, especially in 2014. But good luck to them all, for once everyone seemed relatively normal and nice. 

• Love 1

she really shouldn't have felt obligated to get inked for some guy she really didn't know.

She may have wanted some ink for Danny, liked the design, and said "why not?" since (I'm sure) the producers were picking up the tab.

Just a few thought about things mentioned in the recap:

Solana's "that's weird" about the text probably had to do with the timing, either because Elijah never texts at that time of day, or it was such a coincidence that it happened while meeting with Nev and Max (almost like a PA had just called Elijah and asked him to do that).

The porch scene included Solana suggesting that Nev "ring the knocker"; how could they not leave that in? FWIW, I thought Solana looked pretty good in that outfit as long as she wasn't being filmed from the rear.

Parents have been known to charge a kid rent as a hint they they want him out, although we don't know if Elijah was living at home at the time he had to hock his camera.

(edited)

She may have wanted some ink for Danny, liked the design, and said "why not?" since (I'm sure) the producers were picking up the tab.

If she wanted a tattoo for her boyfriend back home, then why get a tattoo that symbolizes her supposedly deep friendship with another guy? It's not the tattoo itself that made me raise my eyebrows during that scene. It was the fact that Solana didn't seem that into it and had to psyche herself into going with Elijah and getting their "friendship tattoos" done. Maybe she was just nervous because she had never had a tattoo done before, but she looked pretty weirded out when Elijah all of a sudden started rambling about getting friendship tattoos. And then on the aftershow she admitted that her husband liked it better than she did. It sounds like she never wanted the tattoo in the first place, and maybe felt pressured into doing it/figured she could always get it removed later.

Edited by geekamonggeeks
  • Love 1

Yeah, what I noticed when she told Nev & Max about the clues she had for Elijah and they asked what did she hope to get out of this. She didn't say, "I hope to find out if he's real or if someone else is playing me". She said she hoped this will help her figure out if she wants to be with Danny or Elijah. That was either a really naive answer or she was in on this.

Even if I was youngish (early 20's), I wouldn't find Elijah cute. That hair was...creepy. When he came out, I was expecting everyone to start laughing at Joshua dressed up emo. But, no, it was him.

Still didn't cover the multiple Twitter accounts.

(edited)

I don't think it had anything to do with Danny. He liked the tattoo after the fact according to her, but I don't know how much truth there is to that since he wasn't on the Chatfish after show to confirm it. It seemed to be a situation where she was put on the spot and she went along with it. Without a doubt I don't think either her and Elijah footed the bill for the tattoos. If she was going to get inked she should've at least put something on her body that she wanted and put thought into. Instead what she got was a tattoo some guy that she really didn't know suggested as a symbol of their 'deep' friendship. Just a very weird turn of events all around to me. 

Edited by jonesingjay

Still didn't cover the multiple Twitter accounts.

Was it multiple Twitter accounts? I thought it was Facebook accounts. I forgot what Elijah said about it, but they did ask. He seemed aware of the fake accounts. Someone used my not even remotely famous dad's picture and name and created a fake Facebook, and was messaging his friends. My dad had to report it to Facebook to get it deleted. So it is possible that some scene/emo kids might want to create fake Facebook accounts under his identity for some reason.

Yeah, he said that he did that video about Christina Grimmie (a contestant from The Voice) and apparently she saw and commented on it or liked it or something, so then it showed up in all of her followers' feeds and got a lot of hits. I guess that's all you need to do to gain impersonators now!

For a while I thought that Elijah Plok was some kind of internet joke that I know nothing about. Like, hey man, let's Elijah Plok that girl.

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while! This whole thread has me cracking up. The posts on this show make me so glad I don't watch it anymore, but damn, it's hilarious to read about it! Also, Chatfish (the name) makes me want to punch whatever middle-management assclown came up with it.

I'm still not convinced Elijah's hair isn't a wig. It was just way too perfect looking and didn't look real, and I have never seen a guy with hair like that. And add me to the list of people who are confused that he can afford ink, but not a cell phone or a laptop. Has he not heard of Straight Talk? That shit is super cheap, and you just pay as you go. They must not have a Walmart in his town.

Walmart is in every town. I can tell you as a former extremely poor person (I finally have a full-time job again), if you are on food stamps or any other form of government assistance, you can get what shitty people call an "Obamaphone", a very basic phone that comes with 250 minutes and 250 texts per month. Five bones will get you 500 minutes and 500 texts per month total. There are several providers, but I had Assurance Wireless.

Poor people tend to not be smart about money (tattoos and piercings--I have them; I'm not knocking them; but I didn't get them when I had close to zero income), but that is a different discussion for a different website.

Elijah reminded me of the stoner character played by Breckin Meyer in Clueless.

. Oh, absolutely...travis birkenstock! I loved him.

I don't know what to think about this episode. All her protestations that their connection was real, and deeper after they met....and then she marries the other guy ten minutes after getting back home. Everyone seemed like nice people, and the twist of him actually being who he said he was was an interesting one, but it was definitely a wtf episode.

I think the reason that Elijah took so long to come up the stairs was because he was putting on his wig. Seriously, that was NOT real. It also didn't match his face- he looked like a homely, skinny, old geek. I didn't find him attractive in the videos either, but he looked even worse in person, yikes!

• Love 1

His town looked like it could have been the birthplace of Walmart.

• Love 3

Was it multiple Twitter accounts? I thought it was Facebook accounts.

You may be right. I had it on my mind it was Facebook accounts, then read someone upthread say it was Twitter. So I figured I was wrong.

I can tell you as a former extremely poor person (I finally have a full-time job again), if you are on food stamps or any other form of government assistance, you can get what shitty people call an "Obamaphone", a very basic phone that comes with 250 minutes and 250 texts per month.

Oh I've been there too while being unemployed - twice - in the last 5-6 years. This is the second time I've heard Obamaphone and I just heard it for the first time recently. It was on a show, and now I'm drawing a blank. But I remember someone making a big deal about their Obamaphone. Was it this show? Ring a bell with anyone?

You may be right. I had it on my mind it was Facebook accounts, then read someone upthread say it was Twitter. So I figured I was wrong.

Oh I've been there too while being unemployed - twice - in the last 5-6 years. This is the second time I've heard Obamaphone and I just heard it for the first time recently. It was on a show, and now I'm drawing a blank. But I remember someone making a big deal about their Obamaphone. Was it this show? Ring a bell with anyone?

It was Antwane from the episode where he made a connection with a "guy" named "Tony" via a single's-chat room. Antwane didn't have a computer, internet access and only had an "Obamaphone" that allowed him to do very basic things like call and text. This was the storyline that could have happened in 1990, they said.

• Love 1

Granted, I haven't watched a lot of this show, but this was the first episode where I was genuinely anxious that an assault rifle might make an appearance.  Those were a tense few minutes, waiting to see who or what was coming up those stairs.

There is poor, like no food and shelter, then there's Elijah Plok poor, where you live in the basement of mom and dad's nice comfortable house in the burbs and don't do much expect make videos (until your laptop broke), text on your ipod (cuz your phone broke) and venture to the skateboard park for an outing with fellow dudes. Oh, and get tatted up. Elijah was poor because she chooses to live a certain lifestyle, not because the world has dealt him a bad hand. At least he said in the aftershow that he had a job, so maybe he now has a phone. I really don't think that Elijah Plok poverty is the problem we are talking about when we discuss poverty in this country

• Love 1

I loved how his parents were all "of course we took away his electronics! that's called parenting!" like what is wrong with the world when parents don't monitor their kids' behavior and take corrective actions!? I admit I thought "my parents took away my internet access" was a lie, but listening to his parents, I was thinking how normal they seemed, how absolutely shocked they were that their kid was "obsessed" with talking to anonymous strangers, and how it really is the kind of thing a parent might do to a kid, which would never happen to a pedophile or garden variety scammer posing as a kid.The world is upside down when it's more credible that someone is making a cover story out of a plausible happening, than that it's actually what is real.

• Love 1