Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E19: Jack in the Box

Message added by ohjoy

Several off-topic posts have been hidden. Please stay on topic for the thread in which you are posting. Speculation discussion has its own threads.

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, rue721 said:

I liked this episode, because there were so many creepy/unsettling scenes. The scene when Sam and Dean lure Jack in the box, of course. The scene when Sam asks Dean to talk about Mary, and Dean brushes him off and says "isn't that what we just did" (from memory -- may have gotten that quote slightly wrong). The scene when Jack mesmerizes all those churchgoers and curses their group leader to be "eaten by worms" (everything about that curse was horrifying). All-in-all, this was a legitimately scary episode, which I always appreciate from this show.

I was very confused by Jack making angels out of people, too.

The interaction between Jack and Duma was interesting to me in general, because Jack was completely obedient and seemed happy/relieved to be following her orders. The thing that I think is most interesting about angels is that they're made to be obedient in a way that humans aren't, and I wonder how that comes into play with Jack. He seemed really obedient in this episode in a way he hasn't been before, but maybe that's just because he's at loose ends.

Anyway, that was clearly actual!Lucifer that was talking to Jack, and not some figment of Jack's imagination. There is no way that Jack would know Lucifer well enough to have him behave so true to character, and some of the things that Lucifer was saying just aren't things that I think would occur to Jack anyway. That said, I don't think that Lucifer is controlling Jack or even manipulating him that much -- he seems like he's just sort of harassing him. So I don't really know why he's there, aside from as a dramatic device to give Jack a conversation partner.

Jack seems totally lacking in compassion/empathy now, which is a fairly new thing for him. Dunno how anyone can come back from that. I think that he (and the bit of Lucifer that's hitched a ride in him) will have to get sent to the Empty. I'm unspoiled, that's just apparently where angels go when they need to be locked up permanently, aka, killed.

Anyhow, putting Jack in the box wasn't a bad idea, although how Sam and Dean did it was uncomfortable and creepy as hell (and interesting/fun to watch because of that hahaha). I don't buy that Jack would be able to bust out of the box so easily, either, because I would think that without a soul to supercharge his grace, Jack would be just at regular angel strength (if that). But whatever, this is how the show is playing it, so I'll roll with the punches.

It's interesting that Sam and Dean have now "betrayed" Jack by telling him the exact same pack of lies that Jack wanted Mary to tell him (that everything would be OK, basically). I think it's possible that after Jack killed Nick, Lucifer possessed him and that possession was a factor in Mary getting killed. But at this point, after Jack's weird confession/apology about Mary's death being an accident, I don't think that Jack can be absolved. He openly accepted at least some responsibility for it and wasn't remorseful enough, so there ya go.

You know, I had actually been thinking that at least some of why Jack was so upset about killing her was because he felt guilty, missed her, etc. But this episode made it clear that he really didn't feel any of that. He just wanted to be back in Sam and Dean's good graces, he apparently didn't care about Mary in her own right at all? That's pretty chilling.

Honestly, I thought Cas was the most relatable (to me personally) out of the characters in this episode, though. I mean, he took Mary's death seriously, but he couldn't shut off his love for Jack like a light switch. I think that all their reactions were true to character and made sense, but I thought Cas was pretty sympathetic in this one.

WTF was up with that bizarrely well-attended wake at the beginning, though? And Bobby's entrance with the ax-throwing and the guitar riff? LOL terrible. Also, just not the right tone for the rest of the episode at all. It makes me laugh thinking back on it.

If Jack were possessed by Lucifer this would be playing out very differently.

I do not think the thing talking to him is a part of himself at all.

I don't see how Lucifer could have formed a connection because the spell appeared to open a door even if it did involve some blood magic that affected Jack. He felt his blood boil. Lucifer is still in the Empty and should not have been communicating with him in the Malak box. Since he has Michael's grace thr easiest answer is that it's Michael masquerading as Lucifer.

There was definitely something talking his mind before Mary was obliterated. Jack's memory of the dialogue never happened. Somebody else's speaking to him. He would be aware of other angels using their power. They didn't kill her. Also Dumah seemed clueless until Cas filled her in at which point she quickly put Jack to use.

• Useful 1
On 4/20/2019 at 12:28 AM, ZennyKenny said:

Are they? Oh, I didn't realize that. I thought nephilim was like halfway between human and angel, power-wise. I guess that makes sense then.

This is why Lucifer was so interested in his son and why he stole his grace. It was an enormous power-up.

Also why Jack was able to easily defeat AU Michael in the season 13 finale.

I don't think he should have been able to do it this season without any grace just using whatever soul juice was left though. I guess I can live with the fact that some of his nephilim powers were inherent and also huge power drains if he used them. Simply curing Cas should have used too much of his stores as is. 

Part of why that entire thing was hinky.

Edited by Castiels Cat
51 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

His acting in this episode was superlative however that scene and the following in front of the box just blew me away.

I know what you mean about him almost not looking like Dean. In my second rewatch I  started to look for blinking eyes. Is Dean blinking enough. I mean... yes crying in the woods was Dean. The guy sitting at the table at the end... the guy above....

Angel's can hide inside their vessels unbeknowst (Gadreel). But let's just say stupid Jack who in a hubric moment thinks he is the hero that has defeated the monster and swallows his grace which looks to be a total set-up by a nemesis who is fond of long con set-ups designed to demoralize Dean into submission.

The monster survived and is hiding somehow weakened. However he has goaded Jack into losing his soul and taking enough grace into becoming a nephilim again. Maybe Michael is in Jack regaining strength and is the inner voice that taunted him about losing his soul causing him to lose his temper and annihilate Mary. 

At any rate... maybe Dean is just righteously angry. Maybe Michael slipped back in after Jack deconstructed. Now he needs Dean to kill Jack to steal the nephilim grace in a sacrifice that will summon God. IDK.

I do think Dean's eyes were looking more like Michael's and Jensen dropped that hint about the blinking.

I also think it's weird Dean derided God as being a writer of stories in his underwear after Michael said something similar in the same monologue as he indicated he would like to catch up with him and kill him.

???

As much as I would love this to be the case, I don't believe it is. But if it was, with Jack out of the picture there would be literally nothing left to stop Michael except God. So "Dean's" eagerness to put Jack in the box would make even more sense than it already did.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

As much as I would love this to be the case, I don't believe it is. But if it was, with Jack out of the picture there would be literally nothing left to stop Michael except God. So "Dean's" eagerness to put Jack in the box would make even more sense than it already did.

Yeah.

It was really that scene between the brothers at the end that got me thinking. 

Anyhoo... the pain for Dean would be maximum of Dean did this all himself only later to learn that Michael set things in motion by pushing Jack to "lose his soul", take his grace and then later explode and kill Mary.

I will not give up on Dichael until those end credits. 

Dean was so very comfortable with Jack in the box which made Sam so very uncomfortable. The parallels between Jack and Sam are obvious. Dean was told to kill Sam if he could not save him from going dark. Sam went soulless. Sam's connection to Lucifer. Desn came the closest to giving up on Sam when he was soulless. 

Dean has given up on Jack or appears to have and looks very comfortable with it all.

2 hours ago, starfishka said:

Am sorry, but could you, please, stop using the term "Dicheal"? I hate it. Thank you.

I agree. I've never heard it used before, it's not really a common portmanteau for this character or storyline.  

I also don't think Dean looked like Michael.  I don't see Michael behind his eyes. Jensen does sometimes STILL show us new reactions from Dean - somehow he manages to pull something new out of the bag even after all these years of playing the character.  I think that's all this is.

• Love 6

I hate "Dichael" too, but I agree that his controlled rage reminded me of Michael.  Not exactly the same, but very similar.  Of course, Jensen is both, so that may be all there is to it, lol.  I actually would be much more afraid of crossing this Dean than an openly angry Dean or DeanMichael.  

• Love 4
On 4/20/2019 at 9:56 PM, trudysmom said:

I'm one of them.  She kept yammering and hammering at Jack until he snapped.  Now, some have suggested that it wasn't him, that someone/thing else was talking to him, acting through him.  But what I saw was her in his face and him saying stop.  Whether he was talking to her or some unseen force only he could hear, MARY heard Jack and still she kept on.  So to me, yes, she bears some of the responsibility.  A "badass hunter" like her should have known better.  

Yeah, I'm happy to victim-blame Mary for this, which really translates to writer-blame. The whole scene was stupid. For all her avoidance of being Dean's mom, Mary's no idiot. And the writers have spent her entire tenure trying to convince us she's the most badass hunter the world has even seen (even though nothing in her performance indicates that is actually true). So the idea that she'd get all up in possibly-soulless super-powered-Anthony-Fremont's face and practically beg to be whisked off to the Cornfield Hilton was ridiculous. But since the writers made it happen, dumb as it was, I guess it's partially Mary's fault. Of course, as already stated, that doesn't absolve Jack of primary blame. More than one thing can be true.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Yeah, Dichael is so bad. And I didn't see Michael at all in Dean. Just a man trying to control his emotions. 

I prefer Michael!Dean but it gets tiresome to type and I saw the dreaded D word used and thought less typing... apologies to all.

Yes. Dean is scary hard eyed. I was watching for eye blinks. I won't  count Michael out until the end credits. I will be very p.o.'d if that storyline was just dumped like that.

Everything feels off since the end of Ouroboros. Like another sprung trap designed to break Dean and get Michael what he wants. 

Mommy dead. Son dead. Pet angel broken. Brother broken. Dean stands alone. God shows up. Malak box broken.

Sounds like the perfect setup for Michael to return.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, BabySpinach said:

Let us also observe that after Jack had toasted Mary to a crisp, his #1 priority in 14.18 was to "fix it" so that Sam, Dean, and Cas would welcome him back into their circle again. That was his main goal, and also the reason that Hallucifer managed to dig his claws in so quickly and easily. It was all about Jack's place among his "dads" being put in peril. To him, she could have been anybody who was sufficiently innocent and helpless enough. 

His "apology" was so dire it was almost cringey. He called her murder an accident. He didn't talk about Mary as a person, just as an inconvenient obstacle to things returning to how they used to be. What he personally wanted was all that mattered.

Yes, I agree.

(The rest of my comment on this is maybe too general for the episode thread, so I will move it to the Jack thread.)

On 4/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, BabySpinach said:

I LOVED Dean's cold, seething rage.

I loved him in that scene too! I agree that it was something we hadn't seen before from Dean, but it was totally real and believable. Jensen was amazing, I couldn't take my eyes off him.

Sorry, but when I hear about all those fans who are busy hating on Dean for being "mean" to precious baby Jack, it just makes me wish that the character of Dean could somehow be transported to another show -- one for grown-ups.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

I loved him in that scene too! I agree that it was something we hadn't seen before from Dean, but it was totally real and believable. Jensen was amazing, I couldn't take my eyes off him.

Sorry, but when I hear about all those fans who are busy hating on Dean for being "mean" to precious baby Jack, it just makes me wish that the character of Dean could somehow be transported to another show -- one for grown-ups

So with you on this. 

• Love 3
On 4/21/2019 at 8:19 PM, Castiels Cat said:

There was definitely something talking his mind before Mary was obliterated.

This was what I was wondering too. It all seemed wired if I'm honest. Like his reactions to Mary talking to him like he instantly wanted her dead and out of the picture didn't feel like the Jack we were used too. Jack might do the wrong thing, but he's not an instant murderer. It feels oddly out of character for him just to obliterate Mary. Jack had feelings for Mary, and did feel there was something there for her, and the way he killed her just felt like a different person was doing the killing. I remember when Sam was soulless and he was horrible trying to kill Bobby in the cellar, and doing a deal with Balti to keep his soul in. These are actions of people who are not in their right minds. Jack doesn't know what his mind is doing. Was Lucifer acting that act of murder on Mary, and not Jack? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Maybe once upon a time, but then along came Donatello and showed us that being good whilst without a soul was merely a choice. WWMRD? So Sam and Jack just chose to do the things they did. At least according to Dabbernatural lore.

So all they had to do with SoullessJack(or even AlmostSoullessJack) was to have him binge watch Mr Rodgers then, right?

Sheesh. Such incompetent hunters the Winchesters have become on Dabbernatural.😒 

Edited by Myrelle
spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Bella-UK said:

This was what I was wondering too. It all seemed wired if I'm honest. Like his reactions to Mary talking to him like he instantly wanted her dead and out of the picture didn't feel like the Jack we were used too. Jack might do the wrong thing, but he's not an instant murderer. It feels oddly out of character for him just to obliterate Mary. Jack had feelings for Mary, and did feel there was something there for her, and the way he killed her just felt like a different person was doing the killing. I remember when Sam was soulless and he was horrible trying to kill Bobby in the cellar, and doing a deal with Balti to keep his soul in. These are actions of people who are not in their right minds. Jack doesn't know what his mind is doing. Was Lucifer acting that act of murder on Mary, and not Jack? 

Yeah, I would have thought that to kill someone with his powers, Jack would really want that person to be dead. So, either Jack just teleported her to another place, where she met her real murderer. Or the writers came up with a really stupid idea in order to bring more drama to the show. 

1 hour ago, NougatJack said:

Yeah, I would have thought that to kill someone with his powers, Jack would really want that person to be dead. So, either Jack just teleported her to another place, where she met her real murderer. Or the writers came up with a really stupid idea in order to bring more drama to the show. 

He said it himself, he wanted her to stop, and most of all he didn't want her to tell Dean and Sam about him. He's out of control and he's a man-baby, so he got what he wanted, just not in the way he (possibly) intended. Anything else is a cop-out at this point, and would only prove that the writers never intended for anyone. least of all Nougat Sue, to be the bad guy in this arc, except Dean.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Bella-UK said:

I don't see how it wasn't like Jack. Back in the first part if the seson, Jack was more than happy and almost eager that if Dean had to die to kill Michael that's what needed to happen. If Jack can kill just at a thought( hello Jesse.. no I didn't forget you) then why doesn't he just thought propel himself away from harming anyone else? To me, Jack is so woefully underrdeveloped and nebulous a character that anything he does could be in character

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Back in the first part if the seson, Jack was more than happy and almost eager that if Dean had to die to kill Michael that's what needed to happen. 

Jack has learned from the best. The first encounter with Dean was when Dean tried to shoot him because Jack has been a threat, obviously. Dean was happy to sacrifice Jack for the greater good. So, as Michael in Dean threatened the world, Jack was ready to sacrifice him. If Dean knew that, he would have been so proud of him. 

19 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I just call him Michael because when Jensen takes on the roll, there is no trace of Dean anywhere.  He's not Dichael or Mean or MichaelDean.  For me there is Dean and Michael.

Kudos Mr. Ackles.

You are not wrong.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, NougatJack said:

Jack has learned from the best. The first encounter with Dean was when Dean tried to shoot him because Jack has been a threat, obviously. Dean was happy to sacrifice Jack for the greater good. So, as Michael in Dean threatened the world, Jack was ready to sacrifice him. If Dean knew that, he would have been so proud of him. 

True. Which only makes the character (Jack) more insane/hypocritical about not staying in the box himself. Regardless of how he got there.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Bergamot said:

Yes, I agree.

(The rest of my comment on this is maybe too general for the episode thread, so I will move it to the Jack thread.)

Sorry, but when I hear about all those fans who are busy hating on Dean for being "mean" to precious baby Jack, it just makes me wish that the character of Dean could somehow be transported to another show -- one for grown-ups.

The acting from Jensen was superlative. 

The scenes with Dean... 

Jack is just done one way or another. The character is no longer a part of that little family. Not after his explanation of the accident. I firmly believe be had a voice in his head helping to fuel his rage at the moment he exploded. I also believe that Jack exploded. Jack did not want Mary telling the boys what he did. Jack lied about killing the girl. Jack doesn't care and has absolutely no remorse or empathy with the human condition at this point. 

There is no going back. He may have had some help exploding but he exploded. There won't be a whitewash without memory wiping Dean which is not going to happen.

Yes it is a tragedy. Yes he should have listened to Cas about preserving his soul at all costs. He probably should have listened to the gorgon too because I  think the chicken laid a trap for the snake and Jack, the snake... duh, walked right into it. The snake died in the Gordon's story and Jack chose to kill Felix the snake too. 

So anyway one wants to look at things I would not expect Jack to be long for this world and/or the show. 

They could do the spin-off Supernatural:Redemption in which Jack spends 15 seasons trying to get Dean Winchester to forgive him and accept his calls by following in his footsteps... you know Saving People, Hunting Things, The Family Business all the while dodging Bobby Singer's ragtag group of off the grid hunters. It would be better than Blooodlines.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

True. Which only makes the character (Jack) more insane/hypocritical about not staying in the box himself. Regardless of how he got there.

I agree, Jack is pretty fu... since he lost his soul, or at least most of it. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, NougatJack said:

I think the point is that he is unstable. The lack of a soul isn't just a problem because of soullessness. We have already been told a nephilim needs both soul and grace to survive. We saw  that Jack's body was unstable without his grace. Now it appears that his mind and powers are unstable. Confirmation about his unstable powers came from Sam in "Absence" and Cas in the last episode. Even as early as the episode with the teenagers he was having trouble controlling his powers. So he exploded in anger, it resulted in a corresponding power surge and Mary was annihilated. 

Not surprising at all.

Similar things happened when he was learning to use his powers too.

Edited by Castiels Cat
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Bergamot said:

IMO, this is exactly the reaction the writers were hoping for from their "twitter, tween crowd". Of course I also believe that is their target audience now. No longer do they care for the input of intelligent viewer such as we find on this site.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I don't see how it wasn't like Jack. Back in the first part if the seson, Jack was more than happy and almost eager that if Dean had to die to kill Michael that's what needed to happen. If Jack can kill just at a thought( hello Jesse.. no I didn't forget you) then why doesn't he just thought propel himself away from harming anyone else? To me, Jack is sobwoefull underdeveloped and nebulous a character that anything he does qoukd be in character

1 hour ago, NougatJack said:

It's not "what about Dean" did then.  It's about the choices Jack is making. The writers can't have Jack be completely grown up and making the decision to kill Dean if that is what is necessary, then regress him to this woobiefied 'child'.  Jack is not a child. He's not a child in a man's body.  He's a nephilim.  Nothing about human or regular angel rules apply to him. 

That said, if I wanted to apply the rules of human infancy, Jack shouldn't even remember that Dean shot at him when he was a newborn, but since we can't apply that rule, why should I apply any human aging and maturity rules to Jack? I don't. Yet the show is definitely getting away with ignoring his ridiculous all over the place characterization. 

And it makes Jack for me, an uninteresting and unlikeable character.  So he gets no passes at this point, from me.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, catrox14 said:

It's not "what about Dean" did then.  It's about the choices Jack is making. The writers can't have Jack be completely grown up and making the decision to kill Dean if that is what is necessary, then regress him to this woobiefied 'child'.  Jack is not a child. He's not a child in a man's body.  He's a nephilim.  Nothing about human or regular angel rules apply to him. 

That said, if I wanted to apply the rules of human infancy, Jack shouldn't even remember that Dean shot at him when he was a newborn, but since we can't apply that rule, why should I apply any human aging and maturity rules to Jack? I don't. Yet the show is definitely getting away with ignoring his ridiculous all over the place characterization. 

And it makes Jack for me, an uninteresting and unlikeable character.  So he gets no passes at this point, from me.

Total agreement with this entire post.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:32 PM, Wynne88 said:

I hated the wake, with all the relics of Saint Mary.  But that's just me.  

Uhm yeah- No it wasn't just you. I'm right there with you on that. My first thought was, "Ugh, not more Mary worship." My second thought was, "You aren't my Bobby." My third thought was, NOT MORE NICKIFER!!!

Then I decided that it would be best if I just stopped thinking. So I watched with it playing in the background and played a game on my phone. Something I would have NEVER done pre-Dabb.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:29 AM, Bobcatkitten said:

I see both sides of the issue - Jack calling out to them from the box was rough. But he is a powerful being killing people so what is the other option - have a stern talk?

I think Dean is being absolutely consistent - he was prepared to put HIMSELF in the box to stop Michael from hurting people so it shouldn't be any different for Jack. 

The crying in the woods scene was obviously well done. But the scene where Dean and Sam are talking to Jack about the "accident" to me was so much more powerful. Dean was so cold and full of fury at the same time - the way his body was so rigid and he smiled slightly. Wow. It was masterful acting. 

OH thank goodness that we were spared the "stern talk". There have been too many stern talks this season. They all run together and sound like nothing at this point.

And am I allowed to say that I liked Duma better as Jo on Eureka? Hope so.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, PAForrest said:

Yes, thank you, I thought Cas was rather quick on the draw to off one of Heaven's last remaining angels. And quite the flaming hypocrite about it considering he's there defending the murderous toddler to Duma, explaining that he feels Jack can be rehabilitated and all that yada. Yet apparently second, third, fourth, and sundry chances only extend to the murderous toddler and no one else, even someone as vital to Heaven's ability to remain intact as one of the last remaining angels.

None of this made any sense. Par for the course, I know, but annoying nonetheless.

I assume Amanda Tapping was unavailable?

You just made me think of something. Wasn't there this long thing about how the Angels are dying off- so Heaven is short circuiting or something? Now Cas "saved John and Mary's Heaven" by offing one of the last angels? GOOD GRIEF These writers can't even stay consistent with their own canon! 

• Love 1

I quoted a bunch of stuff and the site glitched out. 

I couldn't help but roll my eyes when Jack couldn't even last a cell phone battery. If Dean and Sam were trying to save him, it would take more than the 30 minutes he was in there. The writers have no sense of timing in a story. Seriously.

Plus, I think I have made my feelings clear re: Nick. Go awaaaaay MP.

I particularly hate the way they write characters to the plot. From Jack who wanted to make amends calling it an accident and not apologizing to Sam being on board then not on board just to further the plot. 

• Love 1