Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Such Sweet Sorrow, Part II

• Start Topic

The U.S.S. Discovery battles against Control in a fight not only for their lives but for the future, with a little help from some unexpected friends. Spock and Burnham discern vital new connections between the red signals while Burnham faces one of life’s harshest truths: the right decisions are often the hardest to make.

Airdate: Thursday, April 18, 2019

Burnham faces one of life’s harshest truths: the right decisions are often the hardest to make....

[Interior: Discovery bridge]

Spock: Sister, Red Angel has told me that my true destiny is to be Enterprise XO....

Burnham: No. We are finally un-estranged...

Spock: Jim Kirk needs me more than you do....

Burnham: I forbid you from leaving Discovery....

• LOL 6

To me, the most Star Trek thing there is involves seeing a group of different people working together to solve a problem.  We had Discovery, the Enterprise, Po, the Kelpians and Ba'ul, the Klingons...

• Love 15
1 minute ago, starri said:

To me, the most Star Trek thing there is involves seeing a group of different people working together to solve a problem.  We had Discovery, the Enterprise, Po, the Kelpians and Ba'ul, the Klingons...

And do not forget WALL-E's friends...

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

So has STD been renewed for a third season?

So they solve everything with a big "Let us never speak of this agian." Okay then.

I though Pike wanted to die with the Photon Torpedo to avios his other fate. 

The Enterprise bridge is so pretty! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I really like this show. And I have always loved Star Trek. And this finale was beautiful in many ways. 

That said, nothing better summed up the problem with this season than Control, in human guise, fighting Georgeiou as space battles raged and demanding in what I assume was supposed to be a Bad Guy Moment, “Where. Is. My. Data.” Yawn. The bad guy sucked.

Also, I fully expect Starfleet to rename itself “Burnham Fleet” and to create a new line of ships called “The Michael Class” and to make its official color Red Angel. 

The show really missed an opportunity with shaved Spock by not having him raise one eyebrow and saying “fascinating” when Pike showed him the next space thing to investigate. 

I love Pike and what Anson Mount has done. And I love the way the show depicts Pike. He is everything you want in Starfleet, and he expects no special attention as he does his job and doesn’t behave in any way that asks for it. Nor does the show give him any. I wish they did the same with Michael.

Poor Admiral. How did she know Pike had a different future? I thought his end was right there. Hard to tell one red alert spaceship room on fire from another. 

I’m really glad the show is coming back. More Pike, better villain, and it’s there. 

• Love 15

It was interesting the season ended focused on Pike, Spock and the Enterprise.  I guess to serve as the bridge to TOS.   Just strange there was nary a hint as to the future (pardon the pun) of the show.   We still don’t now how the Short Trek about the computer and the abandoned Discovery fits into all this.

• Love 5

I thought it kind of odd that only command officers seem to be suited for EOD work on the Enterprise.

So, no tie in with Short Trek: Calypso this season.  If the Discovery sat waiting for a thousand years for Craft to be rescued by it, does that mean a thousand years past beyond the point where Discovery just jumped to.

I guess the Kelpians and the Klingons also signed "Let us never speak again of this" contracts.  I kind of find that hard to believe.

About 'The Signals', 7 signals were initially spotted, Spock dreamed of 7 signals, but Michael only created 5 of them -- so who created the other ones (the ones the Discovery never visited -- this seems like a big WTF with the whole 'signals' plot).

And Control is gone for good -- I guess no one else got poked in the eye.

2 minutes ago, Ottis said:

I love Pike and what Anson Mount has done. And I love the way the show depicts Pike. He is everything you want in Starfleet, and he expects no special attention as he does his job and doesn’t behave in any way that asks for it. Nor does the show give him any. I wish they did the same with Michael.

So much this -- I was kind of hoping this meant that S3 would be all about the adventures of Pike, Spock and Number One on the Enterprise.  But this ending pretty much means we will never see those 3, Ash, Sarek, the Kelpians or the Klingons ever again.  I'm going to miss Pike most of all.

• Love 6

Observation 1: How can an episode with so much going on be so boring at the same time?

Observation 2: The least Cornwell could have done in her final moments was give Saru a battlefield promotion to full captain.

Observation 3: Just deify Michael Burnham and get it over with.

• LOL 8
  • Love 11

A lot going on here, but the basic gist is that the third season of Discovery is going to be set in the future, now?  I'm not against that, but I kind if wish they did that in the first place, especially since everything about the show was understandably way more advance than the previous Star Trek series.  I'm just sure if this is a course-correction or if that was always the plan, but a bit odd.  Also, Tyler is going to remain in the past, but Georgiou went with them?  What does that mean for her rumored spin-off?

As usual, all the time-traveling stuff hurt by head, but basically all of the signals Future Michael sent were all a set-up for them to win the battle against Control (saving Saru's species so they could be allies, getting Reno onboard, etc.), but in order to avoid the small chance Control isn't gone for good, Pike, Spock, Tyler, and the rest lied to Starfleet and claimed Discovery was actually destroyed.  I guess that is one way to explain why no one has ever mentioned Discovery's adventures in past series.

I really, really hope this isn't the last time we see Anson Mount's Pike in some form.  He really has become my second favorite captain behind Picard.  And while we didn't get enough of her, I was enjoying how Rebecca Romjin playing off of him as Number One.  Factor in Spock growing on me, and I'd watch the hell out of a potential series following Pike's tenure on Enterprise.

So, all they had to do to kill Control was use magnets?  Man, where is Jesse Pinkman when you need him?! 

RIP, Cornwall.  At least she went out saving Enterprise (and therefore, Star Trek in general!)

I did love how Michael's advice to Spock was basically "Meet and talk to people different from you!  Who knows, maybe you will form an unbreakable friendship with a hammy ladies man!  Or even better, a cranky, crusty southern doctor!"

All in all, I did think this season somewhat better than the first one, but they still seem to be hitting some snags.  I still think it is telling that my favorite parts of this season where mainly Pike and Georgiou, instead of the crew members that have been here since the beginning.  Hopefully they'll figure things out soon.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I guess the Kelpians and the Klingons also signed "Let us never speak again of this" contracts.  I kind of find that hard to believe.

Violation of this NDA is punishable by General Order 24.....

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I did love how Michael's advice to Spock was basically "Meet and talk to people different from you!  Who knows, maybe you will form an unbreakable friendship with a hammy ladies man!  Or even better, a cranky, crusty southern doctor!"....

"Because you will need someone to hold your katra before you die of radiation exposure.....oh wait, forget I said that...."

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, eliot90000 said:

Six was the one Discovery followed and seven was the one for Spock to let him know she was okay.

I still don't understand, and they never explained, how Starfleet knew there were seven signals before even one of them had appeared.     Like the whole "there are still two signals to reveal themselves" - huh?  That means they were picking them up outside of time?  It didn't make any sense.   It's also a predestination paradox.  The only reason Michael created the signals was because she already had.

They only showed Spock, Number One, Pike and Ash being interviewed (by whom?  They were awful careful not to show that man's face...)  and saying Discovery was destroyed.   What about... everyone else on the Enterprise involved?  What about the Klingons?  Or the Kelpians?  All of them are keeping quiet?

I'm guessing L'Rell is deposed sometime in the near future, otherwise why was there so much animosity with the Klingons in TOS and the TOS movies... she seemed willing to be at least amicable, if not exactly friendly.

And lastly, why exactly did Control need that sphere data?  Because it seemed pretty darned sentient without it.  How much more sentient can one be?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, jcin617 said:

And lastly, why exactly did Control need that sphere data?  Because it seemed pretty darned sentient without it.  How much more sentient can one be?

Yeah, Control was .... controlling .... 30 or so ships plus all the smaller ships they carried.  What more did it need exactly ?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, marinw said:

So they solve everything with a big "Let us never speak of this agian." Okay then.

Worked for me. Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but I liked it.

12 hours ago, Ottis said:

I really like this show. And I have always loved Star Trek. And this finale was beautiful in many ways.

The show really missed an opportunity with shaved Spock by not having him raise one eyebrow and saying “fascinating” when Pike showed him the next space thing to investigate.

Poor Admiral. How did she know Pike had a different future? I thought his end was right there. Hard to tell one red alert spaceship room on fire from another.

As frustrating as goodbyes are in a tense, time sensitive (hah) situation, I loved them all and had the feels.

You are right, "fascinating" would have been great there. Is it just me, or did Peck's hotness go down several notches without the beard? (I do like a man in a well trimmed beard)

Pike's spaceship fire was during a training exercise (as I recall from the dialog from the scene), so I wasn't worried.

7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

A lot going on here, but the basic gist is that the third season of Discovery is going to be set in the future, now?  I'm not against that, but I kind if wish they did that in the first place, especially since everything about the show was understandably way more advance than the previous Star Trek series.  I'm just sure if this is a course-correction or if that was always the plan, but a bit odd.  Also, Tyler is going to remain in the past, but Georgiou went with them?  What does that mean for her rumored spin-off?

I did love how Michael's advice to Spock was basically "Meet and talk to people different from you!  Who knows, maybe you will form an unbreakable friendship with a hammy ladies man!  Or even better, a cranky, crusty southern doctor!"

All in all, I did think this season somewhat better than the first one, but they still seem to be hitting some snags.  I still think it is telling that my favorite parts of this season where mainly Pike and Georgiou, instead of the crew members that have been here since the beginning.  Hopefully they'll figure things out soon.

I was wondering about Georgiou myself.

Loved your reference to Bones.

• Love 2

So... that was pretty to look at but did not make much sense? Which sums up the whole season. 

I wish the show would stick to the Enterprise (to hell with continuity) and let Pike, Number one and clean-shaven Spock have plenty of great adventures. Alas, that's not going to happen. If I return to season 3 then only to check on Giorgiou.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I would watch the hell out of a show of Pike's Enterprise with Anson Mount in the lead.  

What else is there for Pike to accomplish? He is ringleader of a giant conspiracy that pretends time travel is so very difficult and lying to Starfleet about losing the most advanced ship in existence.

• LOL 3

The only good thing that came from this season finale is that Anson Mount will no longer be a regular on this series.  I have nothing against the actor (being a fan of "Hell On Wheels"), but I'm not a fan of the Christopher Pike character, who has become something of a Gary Stu.  And I disliked idealized or nearly idealized characters.  And there was need to have Pike as commander of Discovery of Season Two.  Saru could have filled that role . . . easily.  Pike could have simply made a few appearances on the show.

But the rest of this episode?  Since Michelle Yeoh is expected to have her own Section 31 series, why is she in the future with the Discovery crew?  Why are they in the future?  Why did Alex Kurtzman put them there?  This sounds like a set up for a time traveling version of "Star Trek Voyager".  Will the crew be forced to return to the 23rd century to save the Federation from some future catastrophe?  Or will they remain stuck in the future forever?  If the latter . . . what the hell?

Why is Ash Tyler the commander of Section 31?  He has only been with the agency for a few months.  He wasn't even a high-ranking Starfleet officer to begin with.  What was he doing aboard a Klingon ship, when as far as they knew (aside from L'Rell) he was dead?  And does this mean that his relationship with Michael Burnham is over?  If so, why on earth did the show runner go through great lengths to have Michael and Ash reunite and reconcile after the events of the last few episodes of Season One in the first damn place?

I was enjoying this series so much, until it pulled this stunt.  If the Discovery crew DOES NOT remain the future, I can deal with this finale, despite the writing bloopers.  Hell, I was able to accept "The Best of Both Worlds" from "Star Trek Next Generation", despite its writing bloopers.  But if they stay in the future, I'm just not interested.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, marinw said:

So did they also all collectively agree to never mention all the other things that would skew the transition to TOS, things like 3-D holographic communications, super long-range transporters (remember Tilly transported Po back to her home planet in the Short Trek -- when they were a long, long way away from it), all references to the mirror universe, all records of Discovery's sister ship that was also working on spore-drive technology, all records of the 7 signals, all records of the additional signals that showed up AFTER the original 7 signals, etc.

Once Control was defeated, why did the Discovery still need to go to the future ?   Just because it was still carrying the sphere data.

I'm still confused why the Federation Temporal Integrity Commission never showed up from the 29th Century -- I was waiting for someone from the USS Relativity to put in an appearance.

I guess this also means no more Harry Mudd.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

So... that was pretty to look at but did not make much sense? Which sums up the whole season. 

I wish the show would stick to the Enterprise (to hell with continuity) and let Pike, Number one and clean-shaven Spock have plenty of great adventures. Alas, that's not going to happen. If I return to season 3 then only to check on Giorgiou.

Well, the show is called Discovery and not Enterprise. So it never even occurred to me to hope. I actually liked this season, even with its flaws, better than last season. I love the crew of the Discovery - though Michael is a bit of a scene chewer and more intense than I'd like. So I'm okay with sticking to it.

Giorgio's the ultimate survivor - so I'm looking forward to her finding a way back.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm still confused why the Federation Temporal Integrity Commission never showed up from the 29th Century

I was confused why Spock couldn’t beam aboard Discovery just as easily as Enterprise-both ships were damaged, but did Discovery not have transporter functions? Or was Spock returning to Enterprise just for the sake of continuity?

Speaking of which, I liked bearded Ethan Peck. There’s no Starfleet uniform protocol forbidding beards-Ash, Culber, and Communications Guy have beards, as does Riker many years later.

I want to see the Future. Do the Borg take over? 

Loved the Sickbay scene with Culber taking care of Stamets. I’m an easy mark for Hurt/Comfort narratives.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, marinw said:

I was confused why Spock couldn’t beam aboard Discovery just as easily as Enterprise-both ships were damaged, but did Discovery not have transporter functions? Or was Spock returning to Enterprise just for the sake of continuity?

Discovery would have had to drop shields to transport Spock aboard.  There was a danger that the drones could have damaged them further in that window. 

I knew as soon as the Admiral looked at the manual controls for the blast door that she'd end up locked inside with the torpedo.  I did however think that she'd do it before Pike got there and we'd have a scene of him shouting through the door to try and change her mind, but I'm happier that they went with her making the decision and him accepting it. 

A pity they couldn't have tried transporting her out of the room once the doors were closed, but maybe they didn't have intra-ship transport facilities at this point. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, GustavMahler said:

Well, I know there is some polarizing opinions about Capt. Pike/Anson Mount, but for me, if they ever decide to create a third Star Trek series for CBS All Access, I would be all aboard for an Enterpise/Pike show. 

I won't be surprised if we get a Pike on the Enterprise movie or miniseries.

• Love 7

If it is this Pike, and Mount, I would love a Pike series. About 15 minutes more stuff would happen per ep because there wouldn't be all the weepy goodbyes we get with Burnham. 

Edited by Ottis
  • LOL 9
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, LJones41 said:

I'm not a fan of the Christopher Pike character, who has become something of a Gary Stu.  And I disliked idealized or nearly idealized characters.  And there was need to have Pike as commander of Discovery of Season Two.  Saru could have filled that role . . . easily.  Pike could have simply made a few appearances on the show.

Wait, you don't like idealized characters but you're OK with Michael Burnham? What with everyone loving her, and her constant saviour-hood, she's way more of a Mary Sue than any other Trek character I've ever seen. Including Wesley Crusher, who literally was a Gary Stu, according to Gene Roddenberry himself.

Agree with you about Saru, though. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Is it just me, or did Peck's hotness go down several notches without the beard? (I do like a man in a well trimmed beard)

Somewhere in the Mirror Universe, a certain Vulcan has just started to think, “Hey, I bet I’d look pretty good with a goatee...”

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, starri said:

I won't be surprised if we get a Pike on the Enterprise movie or miniseries.

Think of all those wasted TOS style uniforms if there is no spinoff....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Ok, I believe that Spock can keep his mouth shut about Michael.

However, with all the mind melds that Spock has done and especially when he transferred his katra to McCoy and then they had to return it back to Spock, I do not believe for one second, that someone wouldn't have noticed something about Michael rattling around in his head.

I don't think that we will see the Enterprise again which makes me sad because I love this Pike. Who knew that Number One was so snarky!

• Love 4

The long drawn out scenes with Michael and Spock and their feels were implausible and, considering the people fighting and dying to help them, bordering on offensive. Logic dictates, moving your asses in a situation like this.

I feel like Discovery escaping to the future is the writer's admitting that this show failed as a prequel, they could help themselves introducing technologies and concepts that didn't fit in the era they originally chose. So, I guess they'll be happier with the freedom a show set in the future gives them. 

My main concern about that is that I expect the future they find to be bleak and "dramatic". Sort of undercutting the Federation that all the previous Treks were working so hard to build. Just another way to disrespect the Star Trek legacy without necessarily meaning to, but just out of ineptitude.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

All the rushing around to complete the suit at the last minute would have been a lot more dramatic if they hadn't spent what felt like half the previous episode dithering around saying goodbyes.  I mean, I get that the crew going on the one way trip wanted to send their last messages, but they could have done with a bit more sense of urgency last week. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

Ugh. The first half of this episode had me. I was like, "Wow, this is a surprisingly satisfying explanation for most of the mysteries," and then the second half just straight-up didn't make sense again.

The whole reason they're going to the future is to save the data from Control, so the fact that Control is on the ship with them seems like it should be a pretty big deal. Especially since nobody seems to know how things are going with Georgeiou and her attempt to kill him until they're in the process of going to the future. And then, when Georgeiou kills him, Control is disabled so there was no reason why they still had to go to the future right then.

Also, I realized part way through the space battle that Enterprise could just destroy Discovery to stop Control from getting the data. And then I wondered why nobody considered alternate ways of destroying the ship after the self-destruct didn't work.

Also Pike had a really good point about knowing that he couldn't die if he stayed with the torpedo, because he has to be alive later to get blown up. It's like when a witch tells you how you'll die and you know nothing else can possibly kill you.

Also LOL at Michael telling Spock to run straight into Kirk's arms because he's annoying.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:24 PM, marinw said:

That was so funny. After all this build-up about how they're totally going to make the timeline make sense and explain how this is happening in the Star Trek universe the solution is that everyone promises to never, ever mention any of the characters again. It's actually more stupid than inventing a magic slime pod to bring Culber back from the dead, and I didn't think that was possible.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:47 PM, jcin617 said:

It was interesting the season ended focused on Pike, Spock and the Enterprise.  I guess to serve as the bridge to TOS.   Just strange there was nary a hint as to the future (pardon the pun) of the show.   We still don’t now how the Short Trek about the computer and the abandoned Discovery fits into all this.

I actually found that a confusing way to end the season, since it almost seemed like the show was going to be about the Enterprise, now.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:50 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Also everyone who knew one of the crew members who stayed behind and got a cryptic letter from them last week saying they were going on a long, long mission and wouldn't be back. Plus everyone who evacuated the ship because it was being sent to the future.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, LJones41 said:

But the rest of this episode?  Since Michelle Yeoh is expected to have her own Section 31 series, why is she in the future with the Discovery crew?  .

I had the same question, and it was important to me because she's the main reason I watch the show at this point. Apparently there's an interview floating around where she said she's filming Discovery season three before whatever the new thing is, so I guess there are more plot points before she goes off to her own show.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

There was great acting and amazing special effects in this episode! And I do LOVE Rebecca Romijn as number one. But, and I'm sorry I have to do this again, but I have to write this out, otherwise I'm going to scream and wake the neighbours, there was so much stupid!

• Stupid fight. Had they used the spore drive to jump to Terralysium before charging the crystal instead of afterwards, aaaaaaall of this could have been avoided.
  • Stupid magic blast door. So you are going to tell me, if a 3 inch thick door is open, a photon torpedo will take out the whole saucer section, but if it's closed, two thirds of it will be completely fine. What wizard enchanted this blast door?
  • Stupid design for the stupid magic blast door. So you can't close that thing for like an hour, but it has a lever with which you can close it in like 5 seconds, but it's only on one side. There is SO MUCH STUPID HERE! First, you couldn't have just sent one of the repair robots in there to pull that lever, in all that time that you had?! Second, why the fuck is the leverl only on one side in the first place?!
  • Stupid people forgot they have a stupid transporter AGAIN! They could have beamed the admiral out of there after she pulled the lever! You can't beam through shields, but you can beam within shields.
  • Stupid Burnham didn't account for the signals travel time and her plan should have failed spectecularly. She put the first signal at the USS Iowata at stardate 1025.19, but the fourth signal at Terralysium at stardate 1027.32. Problem is, Terralysium is at the other end of the galaxy. Considering signals can't travel faster than the speed of light, the signal would have arrived in federation space tens of thousands of years too late.
  • Stupid hand to hand combat against a cyborg, that can take close range phaser blasts to the face, looks cool, but is still stupid.
  • Stupid end for control. While I enjoyed Michelle Yeoh's mustache twirling while killing Leeland, why would that have done anything to control at all? It was just a body it was controlling with a bunch of Nanites. These writers don't understand computers at all. I ranted about the whole "data transfaring" before.
  • Stupidest ever way to bring STD into continutiy with the rest of Star Trek. Why would keeping discovery a secret safeguard the plan? What does that have to do with anything? Even if that was a thing, would the federation really just not utilize the spore drive, because Spock told them so? What about when the Borg attacked and the federation faced extinction, maybe instant travel anywhere in the universe would have been a plus then? Or when it was discovered that the warp drive destroys subspace? Maybe the green alternative of the mycilial network would have come in handy? But no, we can't use the drive, because Spock told us so, in very vague terms.  All of this and more goes for the wormhole opening supersuit. If the writers wanted to make this make sense they should have done some time travel shenanigans, where Discovery never even existed or something to that effect.

I'm not sure if I'll be back next season. It takes a lot out of me to not constantly scream at my screen.

Edited by Miles
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, SourK said:

That was so funny. After all this build-up about how they're totally going to make the timeline make sense and explain how this is happening in the Star Trek universe the solution is that everyone promises to never, ever mention any of the characters again. It's actually more stupid than inventing a magic slime pod to bring Culber back from the dead, and I didn't think that was possible. 

Ah come on, they had plenty of stuff that was more stupid than the slime pod. I just listed some.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:50 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

The Kelpians also signed a special version of the NDA that prohibits them from being seen ever again.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:21 PM, LJones41 said:

But the rest of this episode?  Since Michelle Yeoh is expected to have her own Section 31 series, why is she in the future with the Discovery crew?

I assume that show is dead (there have been rumors about production troubles for a long time), but they wanted to keep Michelle Yeoh anyway, so they took her with the rest of discovery to the future.

With that ending there might be a bit of hope, that we could get a Pike-enterprise-show isntead. I personally would love that.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Miles said:

I assume that show is dead (there have been rumors about production troubles for a long time), but they wanted to keep Michelle Yeoh anyway, so they took her with the rest of discovery to the future.

Yeoh gave an interview about it recently.  It's going to start production after Disco S3.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Miles said:

With that ending there might be a bit of hope, that we could get a Pike-enterprise-show isntead. I personally would love that.

Then he could hand off to Kirk 3.0 ---who would they cast for that??? Or a Kirk 3.0 prequel - USS Farragut vs Vampire Cloud....

• LOL 2
On 4/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm still confused why the Federation Temporal Integrity Commission never showed up from the 29th Century -- I was waiting for someone from the USS Relativity to put in an appearance.

I guess this also means no more Harry Mudd.

Since Ash takes over Section 31, Mudd makes another deal for time crystals that puts HIM in charge of FTIC....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, paigow said:

Then he could hand off to Kirk 3.0 ---who would they cast for that??? Or a Kirk 3.0 prequel - USS Farragut vs Vampire Cloud....

First Enterprise, then Discovery. I don't understand why they're working so hard at avoiding a 24th-century, post-Voyager series.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, starri said:

Kurtzman also gave a very brief synopsis.  I don't know why both would lie about it.

Because it’s Section 31, maybe? 😉

9 hours ago, starri said:

Kurtzman also gave a very brief synopsis.  I don't know why both would lie about it.

Because they don't want to admit what a clusterfuck their production is?

• LOL 2

Many reactions that I saw online to Discovery as a show were very hung up on the fact that the some of the tech was more advanced than what was included in TOS, so I guess that for many pepole, it is going to be good to go into the future (under a conspiracy of silence by those left behind) and untether from people’s expectations about what a pre-TOS ship should have onboard.

I personally don’t really care about the lining up of the tech at all, though.  They reimagined the tech for the reboot movies, and it was fine-ish.  They reimagined it here, and I actually liked some of it better than the movies, like the redesigned Enterprise bridge and uniforms (which still looked so great in this episode—the visuals are really lovely).  The original show was decades ago and had no means to render special effects of amazing magnitude (even if the writers could have conceived them), so we should not have to be beholden to lack of holographic projections and things like that.  

So given that I had no hang ups about the tech lining up with a 50+ year old show (or an explanation for why it is different, other than perhaps the spore drive, just because it was such a large plot point), I don’t really like the developments of the finale if what it means is that they stay in the future for the rest of the series.  It loses the original show mission statement of telling a Federation story immediately before the original series, it kind of seems to make everything that happened to date meaningless (e.g., Michael’s evolving relationship with Sarek and Amanda), and jettisons some things that were working from my perspective (like Spock and Michael’s interactions, even if I thought the reason for their estrangement was weak and I knew they wouldn’t be together for long).

That’s why I think (or maybe just hope) that the future shot is temporary, and maybe they come back as a Section 31 deep cover ship (especially if Georgiou has to make it back for her own show).  And then they can still interact with some of the side characters.  Otherwise, what has really been the point of the last two seasons?  (On the other hand, I would be more than fine saying goodbye to Ash and the Klingons, so whatever!)

• Love 1
On 4/21/2019 at 4:57 PM, Starchild said:

First Enterprise, then Discovery. I don't understand why they're working so hard at avoiding a 24th-century, post-Voyager series.

One of the many reasons I am cautiously excited about The Picard Show.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, marinw said:

One of the many reasons I am cautiously excited about The Picard Show.

I'm not.  I"m not interested in another series about Jean-Luc Picard.  If the franchise wanted to do a series about the Federation's diplomatic corp . . . fine.  However, I see no reason to have Patrick Stewart star in it as Picard.  This is nothing more than a lavish attempt at nostalgia to me.

On the other hand, I would be more than fine saying goodbye to Ash and the Klingons, so whatever!

I'M NOT.  The Klingons are one matter, but getting rid of Ash Tyler?  He's one of the best characters on the show.  And frankly, I don't care if certain fans are incapable or unwilling to understand his character arc.  This is such a waste.

Between this drastic change in the narrative for "Discovery", the upcoming Picard series and the possibility of a Pike/Spock series aboard the Enteprise . . . screw Star Trek.  I'm over this.

Edited by LJones41
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, aquarian1 said:

I would watch the hell out of a show of Pike's Enterprise with Anson Mount in the lead.  

This absolutely this! 💕 Mount’s Pike is awesome, and Anson is hot! 

How is Giorgiou going to have a Section 31 spin-off if she is in the future on Discovery?

• Love 2